Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

17 hours ago, JETS SB said:

His stats don’t say he’s washed. And he would be on a 1 year contract with incentives. I personally don’t think Michael Carter and a special teams rookie is good enough Breece insurance. 

I mean he's coming off the worst year of his career, the team he's on now is looking to dump him for anything and we're rumored to sign him to a one year contract with incentives.

Sure sounds like a guy on the decline to me.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean he's coming off the worst year of his career, the team he's on now is looking to dump him for anything and we're rumored to sign him to a one year contract with incentives.

Had 4.4 ypc last year and over 1100 yards. Also passes the eye ball test. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He’s better than Michael Carter tho

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2023 at 1:31 PM, Skeptable said:

Damn... Breece and Cook.... Michael Carter is chopped liver right now. 

More than likely Carter and Johnson will be goners. Izzy is almost a dead ringer statistically with Breece Hall, so he stays.

• WTF? 1

20 hours ago, Vudu said:

This is fake news posted by a guy who pays for a blue check.

Obviously it’s fake news. I think we established that. The Jets aren’t going to risk losing a draft pick by tampering with another contracted player.

Still a good idea to sign him as a free agent. If just for one year. He won’t get traded. He will be cut with that current 3 year deal. 

15 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

More than likely Carter and Johnson will be goners. Izzy is almost a dead ringer statistically with Breece Hall, so he stays.

Ummm what? Carter is not gone, not on his 3rd year of his rookie deal, Johnson isn't even on the team anymore, hasn't been on the team since March, and if you are thinking about Bam Knight, he is also not going anywhere, and Izzy as a 4th round pick is 98.5% chance of making the team no matter what...

So you actually couldn't be more wrong.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yesterday, I said there is less then a 0% chance that Joe Douglas has any interest in Dalvin Cook.  Is there anything less then "less then 0%"?  Cause that is what I would make it today.

Not true... but keep thinking that.

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yesterday, I said there is less then a 0% chance that Joe Douglas has any interest in Dalvin Cook.  Is there anything less then "less then 0%"?  Cause that is what I would make it today.

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

So, maybe more than 0%?

I’ll never understand why people with no ties, no inside scoop(s), no familiarity whatsoever with the inner workings or thought processes of this front office are willing to make absolute claims.

Like, it means so much to be “right” about something on the internet that you’re willing to make outlandish claims and put your (fake, internet) name on it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

It’s still pretty wild to think that the Jets were very likely drafting Jahmyr Gibbs at 15, if he wasn’t taken by the Lions. That’s not just rumor. They even spoke about it in the draft room. 

This, in itself, tells you all you need to know about the Jets feeling about their RB room and the uncertainty with Breece Hall being 100%. I brought it up in mid May and everyone said no way.  Now, I would say it’s 50/50 we get Cook. No way the Jets take a chance that Michael Carter or Bam Knight is the starting RB week 1.  Izzy isn’t a 3 down back. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

It’s still pretty wild to think that the Jets were very likely drafting Jahmyr Gibbs at 15, if he wasn’t taken by the Lions. That’s not just rumor. They even spoke about it in the draft room. 

This, in itself, tells you all you need to know about the Jets feeling about their RB room and the uncertainty with Breece Hall being 100%. I brought it up in mid May and everyone said no way.  Now, I would say it’s 50/50 we get Cook. No way the Jets take a chance that Michael Carter or Bam Knight is the starting RB week 1.  Izzy isn’t a 3 down back. 

This 

The people here crying fake news definitely can’t read a room. I agree 100% bro

• Upvote 1

Never heard of this guy and he could be the Vikings version of Carton and couldn't come up with legit inside info to save his life. BUT, if true... One of the many things I've ripped Douglas apart over this offseason has been not doing anything to bring in talent around AR and not bringing in a legitimate plan B if Breece isn't 100%. This would go a long way to satisfying both of those critiques and I would love for JD to start proving me wrong.

We can (and certainly will) debate the player and price tag ad nauseum. We could (and probably will) debate spending that kind of money on a RB with two professional stationary bike riders for our T's. But at the end of the day it would be bringing in a proven offensive difference maker - Something this team desperately needs. Cook would be a fantastic signing! Hope its true!

49 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

So, maybe more than 0%?

I’ll never understand why people with no ties, no inside scoop(s), no familiarity whatsoever with the inner workings or thought processes of this front office are willing to make absolute claims.

Like, it means so much to be “right” about something on the internet that you’re willing to make outlandish claims and put your (fake, internet) name on it. 

Im sure you said the same thing when we were on the cusp of signing tyreke hill and the numerous other players that never ended up here.

• Thumb Down 1

On 6/5/2023 at 1:37 PM, Rhg1084 said:

We got a ton of cap space so can definitely fit him in this year. 

I think we had 22-24 mil after the last restructure? Maybe I'm wrong and that was prior to the last restructure. But if that is what they have, that's hardly "a ton" of money and spending half of it on a RB is certainly at least arguable. I'd love the signing, btw. I'm just saying 20 some isn't a ton of money. They still have holes to, ideally, fill. We could likely have one, if not both, of our starting T on IR before the season starts. Q needs to be resigned and probably most importantly, Rodgers atrocious contract needs to be redone. We have 20mil+ with our starting QB making 1 mil and change. His contract isn't staying like that. If they used all their remaining cap on Rodgers today, he would still be underpaid and still be a disaster for the cap next year. 24 mil isn't a ton. That being said, I would love this signing. Teams show every year that the cap can be manipulated 10 millon ways. The Jets have a window of this year, it they need to make moves that will F their cap in coming years, well... This is the route JD took and they don't really have any other option at this point. 

• Upvote 1

IMO there are many better avenues the Jets can take with $11M than on an aging (28 is “aging” for a running back), injury prone player in Dalvin at a lower position of value where output tends to be heavily reliant on OL play. Those better avenues include:

- Signing DeAndre Hopkins (may very well cost over $11M but another $10M is freed up from trading or releasing CD) and loading up at WR like most of the high octane offenses (PHI, CIN, MIA, SF, LAC, etc.) have across the league

- Some combination of re-signing Kwon, signing Bridgewater to be the backup, and bringing in a veteran free safety or a vet min type RB like Fournette

- Acquiring a high-level veteran (Kevin Byard, Davante Adams, Mike Evans, etc.) who could potentially be made available on the trade market

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Alex G said:

IMO there are many better avenues the Jets can take with $11M than on an aging (28 is “aging” for a running back), injury prone player in Dalvin at a lower position of value where output tends to be heavily reliant on OL play. Those better avenues include:

- Signing DeAndre Hopkins (may very well cost over $11M but another $10M is freed up from trading or releasing CD) and loading up at WR like most of the high octane offenses (PHI, CIN, MIA, SF, LAC, etc.) have across the league

- Some combination of re-signing Kwon, signing Bridgewater to be the backup, and bringing in a veteran free safety

- Acquiring a high-level veteran (Kevin Byard, Davante Adams, Mike Evans, etc.) who could potentially be made available on the trade market

Agreed. Would make way more sense to spend that money on a player like Hopkins than cook.

I also can’t see JD paying over 10 mill for a a rb. We have drafted a rb 3 years in a row. If he wants a veteran why not just sign Kareem hunt for a mill or 2.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Barton said:

Had 4.4 ypc last year and over 1100 yards. Also passes the eye ball test. 

I was reading so much hate about him, when I looked at his career #s I thought the exact same thing. Seems like he has plenty left in the tank.

• Upvote 1