Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

45 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If I am Cook I would wait for awhile to sign with anyone.  RBs always get hurt.  Why not sit and wait until that happens and then you can rake a team over the coals for money.  Hes not going to take any discounted rate right now.  That would be dumb of him and his agent.  Whoever gets Dalvin Cook is going to have to pay him and pay him handsomely.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Got it. So, the 3 years on his contract had nothing to do with the Vikings waiving him?

Nope.

Anyone trading for him, would have had to pick up those 2 additional years and this year at 14 million.

Also nope.

Why would any team give up anything, when the Vikings were obviously not going to pay him $43 million for the next 3 years. 

Well, no one did. The only reason is if someone was going to pay him in that $11MM range they may as well throw a conditional 7th at Minnesota to keep the guaranteed money down at $2MM.

I am not saying Cook is worth $11 million per season. But to say you dont have interest and are willing to let the Dolphins or Bills pick him up, makes no sense to me. And hopefully not to the Jets. They need to try and obtain him.

I'm in the @#27TheDominator camp: I'd be ok with adding him, but not at anywhere near $11MM. If that's his pricetag, then yes let Miami or Buffalo pick him up; it's $11MM they won't spend elsewhere to improve their teams. 

$3MM? OK, sure, fine.

$11MM? No.

In between there? Depends on the number.

We didnt almost draft Gibbs in the 1st round, because we were ok with our RBs. Izzy is not the answer. He is a special teams guy with upside. Not a 3 down back. Rodgers has gone his career with 2 solid RBs behind him. We have Breece and he is coming off a bad injury. We need a legit 2nd back. Cook is.

Seeing how they drafted WMD, it would seem they almost drafted Gibbs in the 1st round because it was a weak 1st round and in that case - rather than reach a bit for position - Douglas & company went pure BAP. As it is, they didn't have a need at edge this year, nor at TE, and those were the other two positions they were looking at once we were on the clock trying to get good value on a trade down. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Speaking of dry......

A new Plum Island resident fit for biological research I'm sure. I don't believe the Presidential claim though. You have to imagine that as President you can do far better (I know she wasn't always in her 70s) particularly if paying for it (Trump wasn't President when he topped off Stormy). Swedish Bikini Team members would suffice (current, not former). I'd keep up the American end as a non married President for sure. 

Women and Beer, in Beer, of Beer

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nope.

Also nope.

Well, no one did. The only reason is if someone was going to pay him in that $11MM range they may as well throw a conditional 7th at Minnesota to keep the guaranteed money down at $2MM.

I'm in the @#27TheDominator camp: I'd be ok with adding him, but not at anywhere near $11MM. If that's his pricetag, then yes let Miami or Buffalo pick him up; it's $11MM they won't spend elsewhere to improve their teams. 

$3MM? OK, sure, fine.

$11MM? No.

Seeing how they drafted WMD, it would seem they almost drafted Gibbs in the 1st round because it was a weak 1st round and in that case - rather than reach a bit for position - Douglas & company went pure BAP. As it is, they didn't have a need at edge this year, nor at TE, and those were the other two positions they were looking at once we were on the clock trying to get good value on a trade down. 

Gibbs is a completely different back then Cooks.  They were thinking about lining Gibbs up all over the field and using him as a weapon.  Cook is strictly a running back which we already have in Breece hall, who is also much better then Cook.

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Gibbs is a completely different back then Cooks.  They were thinking about lining Gibbs up all over the field and using him as a weapon.  Cook is strictly a running back which we already have in Breece hall, who is also much better then Cook.

The choice in the draft wasn't between Gibbs and Cook. 

They were in BAP mode. Normally I'm not in favor of that so early in the draft, but rather as the draft progresses & it gets harder & harder to predict which prospects are starters & which are future Schlegels.

This year with the class being so weak up top, it's more understandable to go pure BAP almost without regard for position (e.g. specifically QB would've been ruled out, having just traded for Rodgers).

This wasn't like Maccagnan taking a safety over a QB because his draft grade was 0.1 higher out of school.

If they took Gibbs it's because - rightly or wrongly - he was the highest rated prospect on their board.

30 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Cook is strictly a running back which we already have in Breece hall, who is also much better then Cook.

I hear this regularly. I'd love for Breece to come back day one, light it up, and not miss a beat. However, I wouldn't bet on it. I would presume that, even if he's back week 1, the idea isn't for him to carry the run game as a workhorse for at least a few weeks. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I hear this regularly. I'd love for Breece to come back day one, light it up, and not miss a beat. However, I wouldn't bet on it. I would presume that, even if he's back week 1, the idea isn't for him to carry the run game as a workhorse for at least a few weeks. 

Breece is already hitting 22 mph in straight line runs and he is cutting already.  He still has 3 full months till the 1st game.

If you connect the dots, he will be a full go week 1.  20 plus touches!!!!!

24 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Breece is already hitting 22 mph in straight line runs and he is cutting already.  He still has 3 full months till the 1st game.

If you connect the dots, he will be a full go week 1.  20 plus touches!!!!!

I think he'll be a go week 1 as well but that'd be negligent to give him 20 plus touches. Since pre-season is a waste, I'd ease him back into the game the first 3 weeks. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nope.

Also nope.

$3MM? OK, sure, fine.

$11MM? No.

I am very impressed by you. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its hysterical watching this board over and over think we are signing these types of guys and then it never happens.  Its like a child who keeps touching a hot flame over and over and over.............................

Aaron Rodgers?

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its hysterical watching this board over and over think we are signing these types of guys and then it never happens.  Its like a child who keeps touching a hot flame over and over and over.............................

What do you think the jets should do with their current cap flexibility? I think it’s flexible due to the hopefully significantly rising cap next year and lack of dead money. So hypothetically, for 2 “all-in” years, what do you want to see them do right now? WHAT SHOULD THEY DO! WHAT SHOULD THEY DO @Joe W. Namath?!?!?!(Sorry but I couldn’t help myself)

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Aaron Rodgers?

It will never happen!

I think it is also the answer to the question below. 

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

What do you think the jets should do with their current cap flexibility? I think it’s flexible due to the hopefully significantly rising cap next year and lack of dead money. So hypothetically, for 2 “all-in” years, what do you want to see them do right now? WHAT SHOULD THEY DO! WHAT SHOULD THEY DO @Joe W. Namath?!?!?!(Sorry but I couldn’t help myself)

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Stay the course!!!!!  We are fine.  Maybe we pick up a safety or a linebacker at some point.  A high priced, declining, aging running back is probably the last thing we should spend money on.

And where is this notion coming form that we are going all in for 2 years?  We are not operating like like in any capacity.

• Upvote 1

Stay the course!!!!!  We are fine.  Maybe we pick up a safety or a linebacker at some point.  A high priced, declining, aging running back is probably the last thing we should spend money on.
And where is this notion coming form that we are going all in for 2 years?  We are not operating like like in any capacity.

There is no “course”, they signed a 40 year old hall of famer. Win now is the course. Sure, JD won’t blow it up to that end, but he won’t survive another bad season

2 minutes ago, Wit said:

There is no “course”, they signed a 40 year old hall of famer. Win now is the course. Sure, JD won’t blow it up to that end, but he won’t survive another bad season

We are going to have a great season as of how the roster is constructed right now.  We are ready.  Let cook keep declining on the dolphins payroll.  We got Breece baby!!!!

We are going to have a great season as of how the roster is constructed right now.  We are ready.  Let cook keep declining on the dolphins payroll.  We got Breece baby!!!!

I’d prefer a declining Hopkins to cook personally, but they clearly want to protect breece with another true yard eater. Michael carter and bam aren’t going to get it done. If that new kid is good, that’s awesome, but they clearly don’t feel confident in him if they go in this direction.

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You make it sound like Cook is on the wrong side of 30 for a RB...he's 27 years old!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1