Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

1 hour ago, Barton said:

I said 1st rd picks. You are including 2nd rd picks. Try again. 

lol so, let's say we took Tippmann at 15 and McDonald at 43, you wouldn't be complaining because the ratio would be balanced?  Is that really all this comes down to?

4/7 since 2020 is still a pretty solid ratio.  Even better if you consider Moore and Hall as essentially 1st rounders considering how early we took them in the 2nd(so 6/9 now on offense).  Go back and look at our 1st rounders from 2010-2017 if you want to see what "defense heavy" looks like.

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Michael was 13 when Cook came out of College -- he can go stuff himself. 

Although no one was higher on Dalvin than me (i drafted him i think top #5 overall for the Jets in the mock draft that year lol - ahead of Lenny) -- it seems like an odd fit unless we're ready to shed MC and Knight... which i'm not against. 

Hall/Cook/Abanikanda is lights out. 

I wouldn't hate the move but I wouldn't love it either. RB is such a young man's game. Probably more than any position. The fumbles stat is most troubling.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The team saw that our season basically ended when Hall went down last year.

Zac Wilson was amazingly winning games and we were going to make the playoffs.

The other incumbents all had their chance to shine after the injury and none of them did.  Some real regression from Carter and Knight looked good early but then faded.

I would have no issue picking up Cook, I think it's a good move.  (Of course this is the jets and often moves like this back fire but still....)

They were 2-2 the 1st 4 games after Hall went down.  The two losses were both to the Pats.  I agree they were an abomination, but the Pats traditionally defend us and the run very well.  I think they were top 10 in every category.  I have said it before, but I don't have an issue picking up Cook.  I have a huge issue picking up Cook for $11M or anything particularly close.

• Upvote 1

IF true, is this something like when the Jets signed Chris Johnson? I mean, Johnson was "ok", but a huge disappointment if anyone expected he was going to be like his first 4 years. Then again, he wasn't much like his next few years either, but even that level of production from Cook would mean a solid back while Hall rounds into shape, share some carries over the season etc. One year deal, not 11 million? I guess. 

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I wouldn't hate the move but I wouldn't love it either. RB is such a young man's game. Probably more than any position. The fumbles stat is most troubling.

fair, but no one remembers the fumbles next to the eye opening plays he makes turning a 3 yard counter into 27 yard jaunt. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

KEEPER league.... Keeper.. and i got fcked last year, but you and everyone else!  😛

Sorry. Keeper league. Keeper. I was only drinking bourbon and making top tier selections. I don’t know what you were doing. Lol 😝.

lookiing forward to this next year.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

He had 1500 yards and 10 TDs last year. I think he’d fit in this offense just fine.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

1200 yards almost and 8 TDs, but yes. Not sure how some seem to be calling him washed up. For 1 season, signing him is a no-brainer and insurance for Breece Hall.

As was pointed out by @T0mShane, he was the 8th-worst RB in the league in Expected Yards per Carry.  I.E. he was merely either taking what his elite run blocking OL was giving him OR leaving a whole mess of yardage on the table on the majority of his carries.

There's a reason why the Vikings are so quick to dump him and also can't find a trade partner, and it isn't just the money.  He may be toast or close to it.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As was pointed out by @T0mShane, he was the 8th-worst RB in the league in Expected Yards per Carry.  I.E. he was merely either taking what his elite run blocking OL was giving him OR leaving a whole mess of yardage on the table on the majority of his carries.

There's a reason why the Vikings are so quick to dump him and also can't find a trade partner, and it isn't just the money.  He may be toast or close to it.

Have you looked into that “statistic”?

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/next-gen-stats-intro-to-expected-rushing-yards

In the example given, Chubb has an 88 yard run, which is +81 yards over expected.  This is because he has a tackle-breaking running style. Not all RBs break tackles.  Some just run away from people or get just what they are blocked for, kinda like Dalvin Cook, who was the 6th best RB in the NFL last year based on rushing yards.

There was another RB on the Jets who was known for only rushing for what he was blocked for, he seemed to do all right.

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He still had 1500 yards … so how many should have he had? 2000?

32 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Have you looked into that “statistic”?

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/next-gen-stats-intro-to-expected-rushing-yards

In the example given, Chubb has an 88 yard run, which is +81 yards over expected.  This is because he has a tackle-breaking running style. Not all RBs break tackles.  Some just run away from people or get just what they are blocked for, kinda like Dalvin Cook, who was the 6th best RB in the NFL last year based on rushing yards.

There was another RB on the Jets who was known for only rushing for what he was blocked for, he seemed to do all right.

That’s not somebody you hand $11M or even $8M.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Possible, of course. However I'm not sure he is done like i was sure Bell was done. Reinvigorated Cook after the last 4-5 years of groundhogs day in MIN might tease another couple years out of him. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Stop including his receiving #’s in his rushing total.  

1173 rushing yards (4.4 YPC) in 17 games isn’t impressive.  That’s 69 yards per game, dude.  

I mean it’s an upgrade over what we have. Carter and Bam are not it. We need to sign either Cook, Zeke or Hunt IMO. And out of those 3 I still think Cook is the best option. And why aren’t we including his receiving yards?

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That’s not somebody you hand $11M or even $8M.  

Not sure how many poor contacts JD has handed out, but not many I can think of off-hand.

Pretty sure the work-from-home astronaut  hasn’t infiltrated JD’s tight lipped front office to the tune of knowing real figures. 

20 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean it’s an upgrade over what we have. Carter and Bam are not it. We need to sign either Cook, Zeke or Hunt IMO. And out of those 3 I still think Cook is the best option. And why aren’t we including his receiving yards?

You can find better than “what we have” without spending Dalvin Cook money.  

I’m not including the receiving yards because they were irrelevant to the point I was making:  He isn’t taking what his OL is giving him on carries.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

this is the first year (I can ever recall) where I do not give af about money. Usually 30% of my brain is wrestling with cap sustainability and "how do we get out of this loser's contract" stuff going through my head -- but not this year. 

aa060979-26f1-4bb9-9e2c-9d8171a61fa8_tex 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m not including the receiving yards because they were irrelevant to the point I was making:  He isn’t taking what his OL is giving him on carries.

That’s not an accurate conclusion.

Performing well in that new “statistic”means getting more than what is blocked.

If a running back is expected to get 8yds and he gets 88 because he breaks a tackle, plays against a weak defense, and/or has a couple games that are statistical outliers, it will push him ahead of other backs.  It doesn’t take away from what is gained by those other backs… Like if they rush for the sixth most yards in the nfl.

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

That’s not an accurate conclusion.

Performing well in that new “statistic”means getting more than what is blocked.

If a running back is expected to get 8yds and he gets 88 because he breaks a tackle, plays against a weak defense, and/or has a couple games that are statistical outliers, it will push him ahead of other backs.  It doesn’t take away from what is gained by those other backs… Like if they rush for the sixth most yards in the nfl.

It does if your expectation is for Dalvin to be Dalvin.  You sign him you’re at least partly paying for what he USED to be rather than what he is now, which is clearly more like a low end RB1.  

4.4 YPC isn’t impressive no matter how many times you want to repeat his yardage total, and the underlying stat Shane noted backs up that thought process.  

Let Miami hand him $9-10M or whatever.  Instead use that money on the Rodgers restructure, QW extension, Kwon, maybe a QB2 and a lesser, but younger, RB.