Who is the best QB that ever played for the NY Jets?

Bronx

Comparisons of Qb's from the 60's - 70's is apples and banana's to QB's of the 2000's.

The game has changed so much especially for the QB and receiver/DB standpoint.

This one is way out there but if I asked you can choose either Peyton or Eli to win you one game - but that is a playoff game and it is on the road, who you picking?

The overall stats of their careers is Peyton hands down. Now look at playoff performance and on the road and Eli stands out.

I refer to this because I am sure many look at Namath's career stats vs Rodgers, Favre etc. and understandably do not even consider Joe however, if you are old as dirt as some of us and watched him play and factor in the rules of the game, it is a completely different view. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

Until we have another QB that wins another Super Bowl for us it will be Broadway Joe Namath our one and only Super Bowl MVP quarterback!

Hard to disagree, but I will try because I have a love/hate relationship with Namath. Sure, Namath's team won the SB and the "celeb" QB was awarded the MVP, but we all know the MVP should have been Matt Snell. Plus, how many points did Namath put up in that SB? Perhaps the D was a far more important component in the SB win. Finally, don't underestimate the impact of the Colts having not changed their D calls from Weeb's time as their HC after baby shula took over. It's is really nice to play O against a D when you know the D call and can audible at the line. Don't believe me? Ask Tom Brady, or even the TB Bucs under Gruden who knew all of the Raider calls in the SB since Dick Callahan didn't see fit to change them.

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I like the question this way: The Jets have one game against a more talented opponent and you can choose any QB who has ever played for the Jets to be your QB and the version of that QB is him at his peak, who do you choose? 

If that's the question then I think it would have to be Rodgers. 

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Funny stat -- Peyton and Eli have the exact same playoff passer rating for their career -- 87.4

Did not look up stats when I posted - just went from memory.

if that would have been the first question on wants to be a millionaire - who has the better playoff passer rating, I would be going home

21 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

As of right now the best QB to have ever played for the Jets is Brett Favre. He's not the guy who played the best at QB for the Jets, but he's the best QB to have ever played for the team. As soon as Rodgers takes his first regular season snap, it will be Aaron

That is such a freaking stupid and ridiculous way of looking at this question.  What is the point then?  Unreal.  Who cares how a QB played in another uniform?  That is an absurdly dumb way of looking at the Jets QB position.  

So the best QB to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers was Johnny Unitas?  Is Eli Manning on the Chargers' list? They drafted him.  Is Steve Young the best QB to play for Tampa?  Unbelievably Idiotic. 

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I do not agree with this. Namath was the best QB that the Jets have ever had. You really can't compare stats and eras. Namath was more talented than Rodgers and Favre. And had a bigger arm. If Namath was paying today he would be a complete monster.

+1

Couldn't agree more.  I am down for this fight. 

Let's play this game with other teams.  

Who is the best QB to play for the Chargers?

Players are only remembered by a team fan base for what they do playing for that team.  Chargers fans are not going to take any credit or pleasure in Unitas' accomplishments as QB of the Colts.  

If Geno Smith wins a SB this season with Seattle, does he pass Namath and "Rodgers" on the Jets list?  

Was Joe Montana the best QB to "play" for the Chiefs?  He has more SB wins than Mahomes or Dawson - all with the 49ers.

Do you see how absurd this gets?

25 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Did not look up stats when I posted - just went from memory.

if that would have been the first question on wants to be a millionaire - who has the better playoff passer rating, I would be going home

It's interesting because Peyton obviously has a much better passer rating for his career, while Eli is worse. So really it's the perception that Peyton is "choking" while Eli is "elevating his game" that sticks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Hard to disagree, but I will try because I have a love/hate relationship with Namath. Sure, Namath's team won the SB and the "celeb" QB was awarded the MVP, but we all know the MVP should have been Matt Snell. Plus, how many points did Namath put up in that SB? Perhaps the D was a far more important component in the SB win. Finally, don't underestimate the impact of the Colts having not changed their D calls from Weeb's time as their HC after baby shula took over. It's is really nice to play O against a D when you know the D call and can audible at the line. Don't believe me? Ask Tom Brady, or even the TB Bucs under Gruden who knew all of the Raider calls in the SB since Dick Callahan didn't see fit to change them.

I agree that Matt Snell was the real MVP that day in my eyes too. Snell was the ultimate difference in the game. Matt Snell also got more plays than he normally would because Namath’s favorite receiver Maynard was hurt and being used mostly as a decoy. Of course you can’t discount Jim Turner’s contribution either because he kicked for more points than the rest of the offense scored that day.

Bu I think it came down to all of the attention that Namath put on himself with his guaranteed win boast against such a powerhouse team as the Colts were back then. Namath’s prediction was known by literally everyone, everywhere. I believe it might have been the main reason they gave him the MVP more than his actual stats that day. Namath running off the field waving his arm high over his head making the were #1 sign instantly made him a football legend . . . and as a young boy I couldn’t have been prouder to know that he was our QB.

22 hours ago, Untouchable said:

It’s still Aaron Rodgers

In what metric does Favre beat out Rodgers?

I loved Favre, but no one is mentioning him as arguably one of the Top 5 QB’s to ever step on a football field.

After Brady and Montana, you could easily make the argument that Rodgers is 3rd in line.

Peyton disagrees

Jokes so Bad they will Make You Ho(a)rse | The Ark In Space

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

I agree that Matt Snell was the real MVP that day in my eyes too. Snell was the ultimate difference in the game. Matt Snell also got more plays than he normally would because Namath’s favorite receiver Maynard was hurt and being used mostly as a decoy. Of course you can’t discount Jim Turner’s contribution either because he kicked for more points than the rest of the offense scored that day.

Bu I think it came down to all of the attention that Namath put on himself with his guaranteed win boast against such a powerhouse team as the Colts were back then. Namath’s prediction was known by literally everyone, everywhere. I believe it might have been the main reason they gave him the MVP more than his actual stats that day. Namath running off the field waving his arm high over his head making the were #1 sign instantly made him a football legend . . . and as a young boy I couldn’t have been prouder to know that he was our QB.

Why did Snell get so many carries that day? Answer Joe Namath saw what was working and how to win the game was with a ball control attack and didn’t waver from it. Even without gaudy stats Joe was MVP 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I like the question this way: The Jets have one game against a more talented opponent and you can choose any QB who has ever played for the Jets to be your QB and the version of that QB is him at his peak, who do you choose? 

It’s Joe was always Joe and always will be Joe!!!!

• Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, CSNY said:

It’s Joe was always Joe and always will be Joe!!!!

The most impactful player in AFL history which automatically puts him high on the same list for the NFL.

The bidding war over college prospects — of which Namath’s was one of — if not the most — visible was a primary catalyst for merger talks to begin. In ‘67 he threw for over 4,000 yards in 14 games — the first to do so in professional football, and the only Jet to ever do so even through the 16 and 17-game seasons era. Then of course Joe’s guarantee and subsequent win in SBIII showed the world that the AFL belonged in the big leagues.

He transcended sport — where his impact was already immense — and became a true cultural icon. Perhaps the AFL’s first true superstar with a massive reach beyond the game, matched perhaps only by Jim Brown on the NFL side.

He also happened to be a pretty darn good quarterback before his knees turned to marshmallows. This is a guy who Bear Bryant called the greatest athlete he ever coached — not quarterback, athlete. Joe was already famous in Beaver Falls while in high school for regularly dunking in high school basketball games when he was around 6 feet tall.

Maybe people will say I’m just a nostalgic old guy, like people who scoff and refuse to even entertain the discussion whether LeBron has surpassed Jordan as the NBA’s greatest of all time. But that’s the thing — Jets have never had a LeBron since Namath. The debate of greatest Jets — not just QBs — starts at who is #2 because #1 is permanently occupied by Joe until and if someone comes along to lead the team in a dynasty.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Let's play this game with other teams.  

Who is the best QB to play for the Chargers?

Players are only remembered by a team fan base for what they do playing for that team.  Chargers fans are not going to take any credit or pleasure in Unitas' accomplishments as QB of the Colts.  

If Geno Smith wins a SB this season with Seattle, does he pass Namath and "Rodgers" on the Jets list?  

Was Joe Montana the best QB to "play" for the Chiefs?  He has more SB wins than Mahomes or Dawson - all with the 49ers.

Do you see how absurd this gets?

Wait til Sam Darnold is starting playoff games for the 49ers

8 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I was at the Todd is God game against the Fins at Shea. He never quite reached those heights again.

Man I remember that game. Thought he was our next great QB out of Bama. What a let down 

18 hours ago, Larz said:

In my lifetime a jets QB has never had a good career here with the possible exception of Kenny O

It really is more of a question of who had a good season. 

Fitzmagic

Vinny

now I’m sad lol

Fitz had one good statistical season in which Marshall and Decker made circus catches for him  while facing an easy schedule.  Then he got exposed