Zack Kuntz: freak or project?

16 hours ago, hmhertz said:

He finished 2nd in the  nation in catches 73 in the only year he played every game.

His Combine best performance came after spent the year rehabbing a knee dislocation.

His vertical jump was 9'' higher than Washington or Mayer, who skied like they wore 

lead boots. He is bigger, faster, jumps higher and stronger than both, why weren't

they taken in the 7th?

Yeah except for his route running and blocking needing improvement he’s a better prospect. 

I’m not saying he can’t make the team but it would be borderline shocking if he does. I’d say it’s 97% chance he’s put on the PS

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is a terrible comparison.  Jordan wasn’t benched in HS for lack of talent, ability, or whatever. It was to humble him a bit and help him mature.  A life lesson.  

The coach was like a 2nd father to him yet MJ trashed him over that for years, even in his HOF speech.  The coach was unfairly maligned for the rest of his life even though he did MJ an enormous service.  

Okay, maybe Michael Jordan isn’t the right comparison. But there are still tons of players who just weren’t the good early on and then blossomed into great players.

And if mj maligns his high school coach then kinda of shows what kind of character he has.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Okay, maybe Michael Jordan isn’t the right comparison. But there are still tons of players who just weren’t the good early on and then blossomed into great players.

And if mj maligns his high school coach then kinda of shows what kind of character he has.

Yep.  MJ was an unbelievable basketball player and also a pretty terrible person.

• Upvote 1

He's an athlete first, and football player distant second. Struggled to get on the field at PSU, had to transfer to show up on the stat sheet. 

I mean it would be awesome if it came together, but you're talking about 2-3 yr investment with no promise of a ROI. 

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Michael Mayer will make impact his first year.    He might not be the most athletic te but he can run routes, has hands, and knows how to use his body to his advantage.   I’m expected big year from Mr Mayer in passing game.   Jimmy G uses the Te a lot in the passing game. Where he’s going to need work will be as a blocker . 

Of course he will.  
Question is can Jimmy G throw passes the IR.  
But seriously, I’m shocked you expect a “big year from Mr Mayer in passing game”

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Of course he will.  
Question is can Jimmy G throw passes the IR.  
But seriously, I’m shocked you expect a “big year from Mr Mayer in passing game”

Michael Mayer stats at the end of year will speak for themself .    No need to argue about anything . Just watch. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Michael Mayer stats at the end of year will speak for themself .    No need to argue about anything . Just watch. 

I’m sure.

As dependable a prediction as all the others you’ve trolled us with.  And as fact based as they were

How many wins have you penciled in for the Raiders this year?  12?

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is a terrible comparison.  Jordan wasn’t benched in HS for lack of talent, ability, or whatever. It was to humble him a bit and help him mature.  A life lesson.  

The coach was like a 2nd father to him yet MJ trashed him over that for years, even in his HOF speech.  The coach was unfairly maligned for the rest of his life even though he did MJ an enormous service.  

And Einstein failed math in grade school!

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I’m sure.

As dependable a prediction as all the others you’ve trolled us with.  And as fact based as they were

He’s not a troll. Sadly he believes everything he writes. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I’m sure.

9-10 wins for the Raiders .     Everything depending on a very young defense .   When counting on a lot of young players on defense ( three levels of the defense ) that might be asking too much.    Not all them develop at the same pace.     They have a lot more quality depth on defense than years past.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Michael Mayer will make impact his first year.    He might not be the most athletic te but he can run routes, has hands, and knows how to use his body to his advantage.   I’m expected big year from Mr Mayer in passing game.   Jimmy G uses the Te a lot in the passing game. Where he’s going to need work will be as a blocker . 

just in case you weren't aware......nobody cares

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Far more interested in Ruckert than Kuntz in 2023.

Ruckert SHOULD be pressuring the two TE's ahead of him for reps in 2023, if he's got any chance of success at the NFL level.

That's a player I want to see catching some early-game balls from Rogers in preseason.  

i don't see rogers playing this preseason. or if he does it will be very little

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Larz said:

I’m not saying he can’t make the team but it would be borderline shocking if he does. I’d say it’s 97% chance he’s put on the PS

He’ll be in a battle for a roster spot with Yeboah and maybe Bawden. The route to winning that battle is thru special teams, where he’s got a lot of experience. As a draft pick, he probably gets a little favoritism, too. I’d say his chances are quite a bit better than 3%. Maybe a little over 50%, in fact. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Us and 31 other fanbases 😁

No doubt but I still can’t fault a player for getting what he could from a team that was ultimately willing to pay it. I respect the audaciousness and correct read by Revis and his team to recognize and execute on the opportunity.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

No doubt but I still can’t fault a player for getting what he could from a team they was ultimately willing to pay it. I respect the audaciousness and correct read by Revis and his team to recognize and execute on the opportunity.

Wait, aren’t we talking about overzealous fanbases? 
Though I do agree with the above

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wait, aren’t we talking about overzealous fanbases? 
Though I do agree with the above

Yeah I crossed the wires of a parallel discussion.

But yes, fandom is essentially hyper-emotional and embodies a level of hypocrisy by design — like a form of microcosmic nationalism. All in good fun for entertainment’s sake.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, neckdemon said:

i don't see rogers playing this preseason. or if he does it will be very little

I think that would be a mistake, but I understand that almost everyone else here at JN is hugely anxious over a perceived injury risk to Rodgers in preseason.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

No doubt but I still can’t fault a player for getting what he could from a team that was ultimately willing to pay it. I respect the audaciousness and correct read by Revis and his team to recognize and execute on the opportunity.

Hurting the Jets chances of winning in the bargain.  Good for him.

• More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Zach Wilson received tons of preference without zero competition during training camp. How did that worked out?

In a completely unrelated way, but thanks for trying to bring the backup QB into this conversation. Highly useful. 

Interest to see how he develops.  I ended up watching some All-22 on him (because I have no life apparently lol) and he kinda reminds me of Gesecki (former Dolphin, not Patriot).   I think Kuntz was recruited while Gesecki was at Penn State, and has a similar profile of tall and fast, but not a great blocker.  Gesecki didn't do much his first two years either (roughly a catch per game played).  

I think he makes the team as the 4th TE right now, because his upside is enormous.  Like Gesecki, he broke out in his 3rd year, and was doing good in his 4th until he got hurt.  I don't think he's ready to contribute much this year besides special teams because I don't think his route stems are very advanced.  He slows down considerably for any cut over 30 degrees.  But that's the type of guy I like to take chances on because if he learns some nuances, he could be very useful in the future.  

• Upvote 2