Zack Kuntz: freak or project?

He is a freakish project.  If he was just a freak, he wouldn't have lasted until the 7th round of the draft.  But, you never know.  Remember last year, where the last player of the draft didn't do so bad playing QB.

• Upvote 1

He's a 7th round draft pick from a bad, what? Division II school? And he looked like sh*t wearing shorts. Project is probably giving him too much credit.

That being said, as much as JD disgusts me these days, I'm not about to knock anything about a 7th round draft pick. He's exactly what 7th round picks are supposed to be - lottery tickets. The 7th round these days is essentially where you save money on UDFA's. 

• Upvote 1

He finished 2nd in the  nation in catches 73 in the only year he played every game.

His Combine best performance came after spent the year rehabbing a knee dislocation.

His vertical jump was 9'' higher than Washington or Mayer, who skied like they wore 

lead boots. He is bigger, faster, jumps higher and stronger than both, why weren't

they taken in the 7th?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

He's a 7th round draft pick from a bad, what? Division II school? And he looked like sh*t wearing shorts. Project is probably giving him too much credit.

That being said, as much as JD disgusts me these days, I'm not about to knock anything about a 7th round draft pick. He's exactly what 7th round picks are supposed to be - lottery tickets. The 7th round these days is essentially where you save money on UDFA's. 

You're DISGUSTED with douglas??? Seems just a bit dramatic....lol

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, hmhertz said:

He finished 2nd in the  nation in catches 73 in the only year he played every game.

His Combine best performance came after spent the year rehabbing a knee dislocation.

His vertical jump was 9'' higher than Washington or Mayer, who skied like they wore 

lead boots. He is bigger, faster, jumps higher and stronger than both, why weren't

they taken in the 7th?

Because they can actually play football ( run routes, Catch the football, and block ) .    This isn’t track or the Olympics,  but the game of football.   He ( Kuntz) went to Penn state couldn’t get on the field but for special teams, ( nfl is much better players) .   Mayer dominated at college level.   He’s nfl ready now , and Kuntz has athletic ability you hope can develop into a nfl caliber Te down the road.( project at least 2-3 years away).

• Upvote 1

Because they can actually play football ( run routes, Catch the football, and block ) .    This isn’t track or the Olympics,  but the game of football.   He ( Kuntz) went to Penn state couldn’t get on the field but for special teams, ( nfl is much better players) .   Mayer dominated at college level.   He’s nfl ready now , and Kuntz has athletic ability you hope can develop into a nfl caliber Te down the road.( project at least 2-3 years away).
Ugh... I was hoping 1 year after basically a red shirt year.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

My thought, if you're going to take a 7th rounder, take one with physical talent.  If the light clicks, great!  If not, maybe he can be an elite special teams gunner, and I would think he could do something on the field goal/ extra point block team.  He's tall and can jump, let him try to block a FG.

Obviously, I would prefer him to, you know, learn to catch.   Like you said, he's a 7th rounder.  If he develops into anything it helps the teas.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, chirorob said:

My thought, if you're going to take a 7th rounder, take one with physical talent.  If the light clicks, great!  If not, maybe he can be an elite special teams gunner, and I would think he could do something on the field goal/ extra point block team.  He's tall and can jump, let him try to block a FG.

Obviously, I would prefer him to, you know, learn to catch.   Like you said, he's a 7th rounder.  If he develops into anything it helps the teas.

With these measurable, there should be no reason you couldn’t be a ST Ace at a minimum. Football Smarts could be an issue
IMG_3645.thumb.webp.81075aec4b16ff21afd9194fe8eb9201.webp

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Ugh... I was hoping 1 year after basically a red shirt year.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

He dropped 5 balls in his college career, in a career, when he had a 73 catch,

2nd in the nation season. Stronger than Mayer and Washington shows potential

as a run blocker. Was a higher recruit as a TE than Pat Freiermuth 

• WTF? 1

25 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Rooting for him, but has a lot of work to do with his hands and eyes coordination plus positioning. 

first he's a seventh rounder so there aren't any great expectations.  second, these guys are still young and it takes time for the body and mind to develop.  look at michael jordan who couldn't make his high schools varsity team.  a couple of years later and he's a great college player.  could be the same thing for kuntz at penn state. a year can make a huge difference.  so why not pick him?  the only strange thing is why other teams did not.

11 hours ago, hmhertz said:

they taken in the 7th?

1 hour ago, hmhertz said:

that’s why he was a first round pick.  😎

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

A 1st year TE is always a project.  Most difficult position for a kid to learn other than QB.  

Even a  Dalton Kincaid is unlikely to make more than a modest impact this season.

Michael Mayer will make impact his first year.    He might not be the most athletic te but he can run routes, has hands, and knows how to use his body to his advantage.   I’m expected big year from Mr Mayer in passing game.   Jimmy G uses the Te a lot in the passing game. Where he’s going to need work will be as a blocker . 

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

look at michael jordan who couldn't make his high schools varsity team.  a couple of years later and he's a great college player. 

This is a terrible comparison.  Jordan wasn’t benched in HS for lack of talent, ability, or whatever. It was to humble him a bit and help him mature.  A life lesson.  

The coach was like a 2nd father to him yet MJ trashed him over that for years, even in his HOF speech.  The coach was unfairly maligned for the rest of his life even though he did MJ an enormous service.  

• Upvote 1