Aidan O'Connell

Purdue walk-on. Started 26 games in college against real competition. Completion percentage of 66.7% in college. First NFL game: 141 passing yards, a touchdown and a 117.8 QB rating. Yes, it's pre-season, but not a bad start. I always took him in my draft mocks; he was usually available in the 4th or 5th round. Drafted in the 4th by the Raiders, will be fun to see how he develops. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Oh @OilfieldJet do you know what you've done?  

Um, actually no, what did I do?

My point, not to tout myself as a talent in finding QBs, was drafting guys like O'Connell , mid or late rounds could prove productive. I mean guys who have started multiple years, good size and athleticism, good stats, character, etc. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, if you have the chance to catch the Raiders-Niners replay on NFLN, it was an interesting watch because O’Connell looked like a ten year pro with the way he managed the pocket and found receivers down the field. While we have a bunch of dudes on this board fellating a former second overall pick/3rd year pro for finally identifying his dump-off receivers and almost hitting them in stride, five minutes of watching O’Connell will make you realize how low the bar is for that unnamed 3rd year guy. 

Bonus: you also get to see how weirdly bad Trey Lance is and how hopeless Sam Darnold remains. 

It's interesting -- historically I have always been more of an intangibles guy over a traits guy at the QB position. Guys who just find open guys and make throws under pressure -- don't care about his arm strength, 40 time, etc. Does he see the field and can he process what he sees quickly? -- things you can't measure at the combine.

With some of the changes at the NFL level -- adopting more college friendly schemes that make it easier for kids who have been running spread offenses since high school -- we'd seen more traits guys really have success early on. Josh Allen, Justin Herbert and Lamar Jackson all fit the mold of guys I've historically been super skeptical of but have succeeded regardless. I've been wondering if the league is just changing.

But feels like maybe that's been an oversimplification. Brock Purdy types can just play and Zach Wilson types just can't... Some things never change.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, if you have the chance to catch the Raiders-Niners replay on NFLN, it was an interesting watch because O’Connell looked like a ten year pro with the way he managed the pocket and found receivers down the field. While we have a bunch of dudes on this board fellating a former second overall pick/3rd year pro for finally identifying his dump-off receivers and almost hitting them in stride, five minutes of watching O’Connell will make you realize how low the bar is for that unnamed 3rd year guy. 

Bonus: you also get to see how weirdly bad Trey Lance is and how hopeless Sam Darnold remains. 

Really had one incompletion all game rookie Tre Tucker dropped a 9 yard slant that was thrown perfect, and also should have caught the 25 yard pass ( somewhere around there) that came out.     Really can’t get excited till he does that against other teams number 1 ‘s than the second string.   He didn’t have his number 1s also.  

Kid did miss finding Tre Tucker who was wide open behind the defense. ( easy Td If he saw it).   All I know I won’t be getting an Adian O’Connell jersey because that player as good as gone when I get one of them.  Kiss of death.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's interesting -- historically I have always been more of an intangibles guy over a traits guy at the QB position. Guys who just find open guys and make throws under pressure -- don't care about his arm strength, 40 time, etc. Does he see the field and can he process what he sees quickly? -- things you can't measure at the combine.

With some of the changes at the NFL level -- adopting more college friendly schemes that make it easier for kids who have been running spread offenses since high school -- we'd seen more traits guys really have success early on. Josh Allen, Justin Herbert and Lamar Jackson all fit the mold of guys I've historically been super skeptical of but have succeeded regardless. I've been wondering if the league is just changing.

But feels like maybe that's been an oversimplification. Brock Purdy types can just play and Zach Wilson types just can't... Some things never change.

100%. It feels like every NFL game comes down a couple of big third and 8’s at the end, and if your QB can survive those reps against the opponent’s best pressure packages. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I liked O'Connell, DTR and Clifford as mid-round QB options and hoped we would pick one of them to develop.

All of them looking pretty good so far - but, yes, it's very early.

Dorian Robinson Thompson my choice has a 62MPH fastball, same as Allen.

Reminds me of Hurts but taller and faster. Interviewed extremely well.

Progressed every year at UCLA  finished with a  69%  completion %

In summary an excellent athlete, with a rifle arm, who has shown

the  determination, extremely smart

• Upvote 1