Training Camp Updates -- Tues Aug 22

Lith

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Saleh also said Corey Davis is still dealing with a personal matter, & "hopefully soon" he will be back

good news on CD

this fanbase deserves a full strength team on opening day 

Is that too much to ask for? Wouldn't it be nice..

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Vinny was one of the best players in the entire league in 98, but that was quite an outlier season for him - maybe it was a flash in the pan? (The only other really good he had in his career was 96 and it wasn’t nearly as good). 

Vinny was better in 1996.  4200 yards, 33 TDS, 19 picks

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

The only real concern would be a late hit by a NYG player desperate to make a splash.  They have to know that will get them cut more likely than retained, but sometimes desperate people are stupid.  Clearly the Jets OL knows they have to play through the whistle until there are no bodies moving near AR.  We have to hope for the best.

This is the Mark Sanchez Snoopy Bowl issue.  Of course he should play in the preseason.  Rex put him in the game with the 3rd stringers-so you combine someone who can’t block with someone trying to make a roster, and you get that.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Drums said:

Few things.. 

-We need Corey Davis. Someone shared a stat the other day and there is a major difference in the offensive efficiency/production when he is on the field. I hated him his first year but last year he was clutch on third down during our 6-2 run.

-I was a Becton believer but last year I started giving up. Love to see him proving us right. I think he'd be our LT if we had anyone that could handle RT. With that said, he needs to prove his availability. Unfortunately, so does AVT. Lot of potential there to dominate but can either of them finish a season? If they can, are they our LT/LG next season?

-With all of our depth, Lawson is in no rush which is a huge difference from a few years ago, like his first year. Take all the time you need my dude, I want to see more McDonald, Huff, and JJ anyway. 

-LETS GO JETS

• I don’t disagree on Corey Davis but he is an enigma.  If we keep him on the roster this year and pay him $10mm he will break our hearts.  I would rather take the chance on a younger player. 
  • The Johnsons are not signing long-term a draft pick with personal flaws.  In the best case scenario Becton is great this year, he is franchised, and then when Rodgers moves on he is replaced.  
  • We own Lawson with his restructuring.  He has a good agent.   Rest him and let him play for his next contract this year.   Next year it is JJ and WMC, maybe Huff. 
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I continue to marvel at the transformation of the EDGE position.

We went from Macc who basically neglected the position until his 4th or 5th year (and when he did, it was a flushed day 2 pick for Jachai freaking Polite) to this:

Lawson, JFM, Wilburt McDonald, Huff, JJ, Clemons

Around the time he was was canned, the team's top producing EDGE was Jordan Jenkins.

LOL

Macc was the hero of those who hate analytics considering how much he dismissed them.  It’s how we drafted stiff-hipped “great stories” like Lorenzo Mauldin.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So using this logic, the same holds true for practices right?  They’re also meaningless.  
The logic is a huge fail.  Players get hurt.  Pretty much in practices, PS games or real games.  

The QBs can't be hit in practices.  Why does Aaron Rodgers need 10-15 plays in the preseason at age 39?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

You're all over the place. Of course I can understand the difference between preseason and regular season. No one is talking about winning a preseason game. No one is saying that the preseason games mean something towards the playoffs and the regular season doesn't. All I'm saying is that football players get hurt. There is randomness in it.

There is meaningful benefit to getting guys in tune with each other; especially in this year's case where Rodgers has never taken a snap on this team. The randomness of him getting hurt is not significantly more probable or impactful than him getting hurt on the second snap in week 1. Vinny getting hurt on his first dropback of the '99 regular season was so much better than Namath getting hurt in the preseason? What kind of nonsense is this? 

The only meaningful argument I've seen in favor of not letting him play is the below. Have the last word, I'm out.

I agree the impact on the team is the same if Rodgers is hurt in preseason game 4 or regular season game 1.  But the risk -reward of a 39 year old 18 year veteran in an all-in season playing in preseason game 4 is extremely high risk and extremely low reward.  He can get his reps in practice with a red jersey on and no contact.  

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

There isn’t a difference.  Vinny being lost in game 1 or preseason game 4 is no different.  If you don’t get I don’t know what to tell you.  
Players have to play in order to play in the regular season and can get hurt.  Just as they can get hurt playing in actual games.  
No one gives a damn about winning preseason games.  Doesn’t mean you don’t need to practice.  That’s what counts towards making the playoffs.  Think Becton hasn’t needed to play on this PS?   

Becton is a completely different story.  He needs to prove he can play and finish a regular season game before he is given a starting job. He hasn't played in two seasons and has to earn it physically and from a performance standpoint.  Rodgers has absolutely nothing to prove in the preseason.  I just would not play Rodgers in the Giants game.  

• More Ugh 1

4 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The QBs can't be hit in practices.  Why does Aaron Rodgers need 10-15 plays in the preseason at age 39?

I'm talking about Rodgers.  Rodgers doesn't need reps in a preseason game.  At all.

I agree the impact on the team is the same if Rodgers is hurt in preseason game 4 or regular season game 1.  But the risk -reward of a 39 year old 18 year veteran in an all-in season playing in preseason game 4 is extremely high risk and extremely low reward.  He can get his reps in practice with a red jersey on and no contact.  

Becton is a completely different story.  He needs to prove he can play and finish a regular season game before he is given a starting job. He hasn't played in two seasons and has to earn it physically and from a performance standpoint.  Rodgers has absolutely nothing to prove in the preseason.  I just would not play Rodgers in the Giants game.  

So, what I’m gathering from all this is that you’re okay with Rodgers playing a series or two in the preseason, amirite… 

😉

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Vinny was better in 1996.  4200 yards, 33 TDS, 19 picks

no he wasn't. sure he had more yds and a couple more tds but he also had 130 more passing attempts. his td percentage was worse, his int percentage was a lot worse. his completion percentage was worse, his rating was 20 points lower and they only won 4 games

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

no he wasn't. sure he had more yds and a couple more tds but he also had 130 more passing attempts. his td percentage was worse, his int percentage was a lot worse. his completion percentage was worse, his rating was 20 points lower and they only won 4 games

He was better, he wasn’t worse because he threw 8 times a game.  Even if you want to penalize him for a few fewer attempts it isn’t enough to say he never was good before

7 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

But it doesn’t matter if Becton gets hurt in a “meaningless” preseason game?

It’s the meaningless game component.  Rodgers isn’t playing a few series in the Giants game to prove anything.  Won’t matter if he goes 7 of 15 for 56 yards, 0 points.  
At least not to him or the team

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was better, he wasn’t worse because he threw 8 times a game.  Even if you want to penalize him for a few fewer attempts it isn’t enough to say he never was good before

It’s not that he wasn’t good before, it’s that 98 was easily the best year of his career. 

More broadly, 96 and 98 were the only pro-bowl caliber years he ever had.