The Great Jeff Ulbrich

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I hated the thought of this scheme originally. But we have seen it work well.

The scheme is great, the lack of flexibility is what sucks.

Some weeks you need a new game plan.

but thats just it. the scheme is so rigid apparently that they can't or won't make in game adjustments. when the opposing offense is scheming way to create mismatches against you, and destroying you because of it, you need to be able to counter that. if you can't because your scheme won't allow it, well then the scheme has a catastrophic fault. the scheme looks good when it's working. i think its the quality of players that makes it look better than it is. it's my belief that with a proper scheme this group of guys is capable of being the best defense in the league. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

but thats just it. the scheme is so rigid apparently that they can't or won't make in game adjustments. when the opposing offense is scheming way to create mismatches against you, and destroying you because of it, you need to be able to counter that. if you can't because your scheme won't allow it, well then the scheme has a catastrophic fault. the scheme looks good when it's working. i think its the quality of players that makes it look better than it is. it's my belief that with a proper scheme this group of guys is capable of being the best defense in the league. 

I get what you are saying.

I think the scheme needs to be adjusted more than the current coaching staff allows for.

Some days you will want to say sauce meet waddle full time and call it a day.

I put that on the coaches. But I see your point. I guess I'm saying they shouldn't be married to one scheme if they can't change the current one.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

The defense would be awesome and the offense would be terrible. 

:)

lol.....that's pretty funny. probably accurate. i'm just thinking for as good of a pass rush we supposedly have we are only middle of the league in sacks. and with the amount of guys we have in coverage due to the lack of blitzing we are also only middle of the league in interceptions. imo, there's no much difference between our ppg allowed of 20.5 and the titans at 21.5 and the titans are 18th in ppg allowed. the defense is good, but it's not incredible, and it should be with the talent we have on it. that's a scheme issue imo. also our rush defense is 6th worst in the league. that's pretty bad. actually it's awful. you can't call your scheme great if it has a glaring weakness, and run defense has been a glaring weakness. i think ulbrich is a farce

In all fairness, when did the doltfins say tyreek was out?  I heard it Sunday so the jets went through the week maybe thinking both waddle and tyreek would play.  If this is the ca we, then it’s pretty bad intel by the jets.  Maybe Saleh called up his buddy McDaniel and asked him about tyreek.

The defense played well enough.  It’s hard for any defense to play on a short field the whole game.  The score could’ve been much worse if they weren’t playing well.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, DarthVitreous said:

A good GM provides his coaches a pool of players with a better than average level of talent.

A good coach, whether a head coach, OC, DC or STs gets more from the talent level of their players than the average coach would. 

Clearly we have much more talent on the defensive side, but I would give all our coaches, beside STs, a failing grade by getting from their players than the average coach would. 

Saleh and Hackett have D level talent, but they manage to get F minus results. 

Ulbrich has A talent, but manages to get C level results. 

The Jets have low IQ coaches on both sides of the ball. 

This coaching staff will always get less than expected from their players. They are a massive net negative. 

Exactly!  The CS is there to squeeze the most out of the players they've got.  The defense has done fine under Ulbrich but, as I've said many times before, there are likely plenty of other DCs who could do just as well, if not better, given the talent he has to work with.

• Upvote 2

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

When DJ Reed was getting burned, maybe a light bulb should've gone off in Ulbrich's head?  

He has to look at film today to think about what he should have done yesterday. That makes no sense. Welcome to ny jets coaching 101

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Still won't put Sauce on the opposing team's WR1.  Waddle burned us for 142 yards and a TD yet our #4 overall pick was guarding Braxton Berrios.

image.png.e8e40322cfab4f9d85c28e6395e4e92a.png

You hating, meanwhile, Ulbrich just made his fantasy football Super Bowl w/ Waddle as his #2 WR.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Exactly!  The CS is there to squeeze the most out of the players they've got.  The defense has done fine under Ulbrich but, as I've said many times before, there are likely plenty of other DCs who could do just as well, if not better, given the talent he has to work with.

It’s easier to be a dc b/c you don’t have to find a qb.  Most of the nfl is finding qbs.  The chargers are currently an exception, with a good qb and a crappy team and coaches and they were rightfully just canned.

it’s easier for saleh to come here with Q and start building a decent defense.  It’s much harder to build an offense, at least on this team.  I hope, if douglas does survive this mess, that he uses different criteria for picking players than wilson and becton, 2 guys with no heart.  This offseason should be a real go back to basics, find guys who can block, who love playing and will hold themselves accountable.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Our DC can put Sauce wherever he wants to.

That would be a cultural faux pas.  Worse than not having a glass of wine with lunch in Paris.  Saleh was brought here to build a culture.  He’s not here to coach or make adjustments.  Ulbrich is a good soldier.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Having corners move complicates the defense.  That means more film, practice, and study time.  

Saleh has waaaay too much going on between family and golf to put in the hours of a normal head coach. 

Don't forget that he's also busy texting Joe Benigno.

On 12/18/2023 at 12:41 AM, Green Ghost said:

So now you think you know more about running a defense than Saleh and Uhlrich, huh?

Yea, because at his prime Revis never did that either... I get we play both Man and Zone, but nothing about Sauce playing both sides is a problem in this defense.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

That zone will get carved up by good offensive coaches and smart QBs unless you get LBs who can cover like Tampa and Seattle had. 

Well, we'll likely have a top 10 pick that we can us to help out the defense!  Saleh is going to embarrass some QBs next year!!!