Jayden Daniels declares for draft

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

What makes you think JD can select a non bust OL? What faith do you have that this coaching staff can actually develop an OL? Might as well draft a kid who has a chance to be a star. 

Gotta be Daniels 

A question to a question isn't an answer. I would build a team from the trenches. The likelihood of a first round OL bust is less than a first round QB bust. It's also harder to screw up a OLman. 

We have drafted multiple kids who have a chance to be a star (Sanchez, Darnold, Wilson) - none were. You go to Vegas and keep betting on black until you win, right?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

It is fundamentally about consistency and health. The OL is a unit and 5 mediocre players that play 16 games together will outplay lines with 1 or 2 great players but frequent rotation at others. They need to learn to work together anticipate and adjust,

Our approach to OL makes that very very difficult to happen.

We are very insistent on running the "Shanahan" offense and zone blocking schemes. It can be great if you have consistency but an absolute scourge if you dont. Also it requires higher athleticism so breaks down fast with change.

We consistently have more OL injuries than almost anyone else. We are so consistently bad at this that it has to be systemic. 

Our OL coaching is abysmal.

Our GM wants to hit home runs with his OL picks. If he had just been conservative with his approach he would have taken Wirfs, not reached for AVT and taken Darrisaw and taken Creed Humphrey.

There is too much evidence that our field causes injury.

Players are not going to succeed in the structure we have know.

To have a good OL we need to look at changing our blocking scheme, changing the coaching, changing the physical training approach and employees, changing the field and stop devoting so many resources in home run type of players.

Build solid depth and a group of players that can consistently play togerher.

For now focus on having a "good" OL.

Then the players can matter.

So now you're going to tell me that 5 Laklen Tomlinson's can play better than say a top LT, and G or C, with 3 other guys who are better than Tomlinson... Give me a break. I get working together helps, but if you have crap players they can play together for years and not be good. We need guys who can stay healthy and have a mean streak to them on OL. I'm not saying we need 1st rounders all the time, but like you said we need guys like Wirfs,  and Humphrey. I would have drafted them all day and twice on Sunday, and as a matter of fact I was on the Humphrey bandwagon when he was on the board. JD missed on those and others. He didn't miss on AVT, because he was dominant, however he has had 2 injuries that couldn't be predicted. I want consistency as well, and the only way you get it is to draft OL at least twice every year. Doesn't matter what rounds, because the stud LT, and RT are usually drafted high. The rest can be had in the middle rounds. We have the chance to draft a stud LT this coming draft, and we need to take it if we're not going QB.  You build your team from the trenches up, not the other way around.

7 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

A question to a question isn't an answer. I would build a team from the trenches. The likelihood of a first round OL bust is less than a first round QB bust. It's also harder to screw up a OLman. 

We have drafted multiple kids who have a chance to be a star (Sanchez, Darnold, Wilson) - none were. You go to Vegas and keep betting on black until you win, right?

Shouldn't we be betting on Gotham Green?

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Too many USC busts at that position, for so many that played well there. Just can't take the gamble in my opinion.

I hear that a lot. In fact last year in the draft boards I repeatedly said I’d do anything it took to get Stroud. All I heard about was “it’s not him, it’s their WRs” or “ look at Fields… Ohio St QBs are never good”.

As far as the USC thing, is the same CS there that coached Sanchez? No. That was Carrol’s team and he told Sanchez he needed another year in college. Is it the CS that had Darnold?

Even if the same CS had every QB the past 15 plus years like say at an Alabama, do you really think every kid is the same? Plays, thinks, reads and throws exactly the same?

Of course they don’t. It’s such a lazy analysis and yet it’s so common on message boards

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

I hear that a lot. In fact last year in the draft boards I repeatedly said I’d do anything it took to get Stroud. All I heard about was “it’s not him, it’s their WRs” or “ look at Fields… Ohio St QBs are never good”.

As far as the USC thing, is the same CS there that coached Sanchez? No. That was Carrol’s team and he told Sanchez he needed another year in college. Is it the CS that had Darnold?

Even if the same CS had every QB the past 15 plus years like say at an Alabama, do you really think every kid is the same? Plays, thinks, reads and throws exactly the same?

Of course they don’t. It’s such a lazy analysis and yet it’s so common on message boards

Good points... but I'm still not onboard when there are QB's out there taller and as or if not more accurate than Celab and have same command of the pocket. Daniel's or Maye for me, it's just a personal preference.

• Ugh 1

27 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Too many USC busts at that position, for so many that played well there. Just can't take the gamble in my opinion.

Eh that’s always the worst argument. Everyone said don’t draft OSU QBs also and now Stroud almost won MVP as a rookie 

• Upvote 1

Maybe he’ll be a good one.  There’s a kid, Cam Ward, at Washington State who’s putting up big numbers and is in between declaring or playing another season.  Apparently he’s being listed as a day two pick if he comes out this season.  Either way, unless things change drastically over the next year, Rodgers will be the qb and whoever is drafted will sit.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Maybe he’ll be a good one.  There’s a kid, Cam Ward, at Washington State who’s putting up big numbers and is in between declaring or playing another season.  Apparently he’s being listed as a day two pick if he comes out this season.  Either way, unless things change drastically over the next year, Rodgers will be the qb and whoever is drafted will sit.

Pretty sure I heard he went into the portal and will be going back to college, if he goes to the right team he could really elevate his stock he is meeting with FSU and Miami I believe.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

I like Cam Ward a lot and he’s someone who could/should be looking at since we. 99.9% won’t be drafting a QB in the 1st round.

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Pretty sure I heard he went into the portal and will be going back to college, if he goes to the right team he could really elevate his stock he is meeting with FSU and Miami I believe.

Smart move by Ward, as him and Ewers would be the top preseason QBs going into 2024.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

It is fundamentally about consistency and health. The OL is a unit and 5 mediocre players that play 16 games together will outplay lines with 1 or 2 great players but frequent rotation at others. They need to learn to work together anticipate and adjust,

Our approach to OL makes that very very difficult to happen.

We are very insistent on running the "Shanahan" offense and zone blocking schemes. It can be great if you have consistency but an absolute scourge if you dont. Also it requires higher athleticism so breaks down fast with change.

We consistently have more OL injuries than almost anyone else. We are so consistently bad at this that it has to be systemic. 

Our OL coaching is abysmal.

Our GM wants to hit home runs with his OL picks. If he had just been conservative with his approach he would have taken Wirfs, not reached for AVT and taken Darrisaw and taken Creed Humphrey.

There is too much evidence that our field causes injury.

Players are not going to succeed in the structure we have know.

To have a good OL we need to look at changing our blocking scheme, changing the coaching, changing the physical training approach and employees, changing the field and stop devoting so many resources in home run type of players.

Build solid depth and a group of players that can consistently play togerher.

For now focus on having a "good" OL.

Then the players can matter.

Great post. If they hit a bunch of singles and doubles on the OL they’d be in great shape. Much less about superstars than it is about solid players, letting those guys gel, continuity, and good coaching. And it’s a unit that won’t be any better than the weakest link.

It’ll never happen but they should pay through the nose for an established OL coach and an established DC. Both jobs have guys who’ve failed in bigger roles but are outstanding at that particular role.

And I think drafting and developing mid round guys is good for depth and also good for continuity and not needing to spend big in FA - they haven’t been able to accomplish that under Douglas. Even at the less premium spots like the interior and RT.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I can go back on forth on this all winter and spring.

On 1 hand we need OL help bad and have a QB for a year (possibly 2).

On the other hand we have no QB of the future. I cant help but think of the draft when we drafted Adams. We passed on Mahomes and Watson bc we just resigned an old Fitzpatrick. So I do totally see that side as well.

I think a lot depends on if OL help can be had in FA. If JD can get a good one there, I can see going QB Rd 1, and OL again in Rd 2.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

On the other hand we have no QB of the future. I cant help but think of the draft when we drafted Adams. We passed on Mahomes and Watson bc we just resigned an old Fitzpatrick. So I do totally see that side as well.

If we have a chance at a potential FQB, we can't pass up on him just to get a 40 year old QB coming off a major injury blocking help.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Yea but that's not really full context. After all, the Jets were able to draft Darnold the year after they took Adams. The fact that Darnold busted is kind of irrelevant. The point is that we can pass on a QB this year, take an OT and if Rodgers doesn't work out (gets hurt or simply falls off a cliff), we could still have a shot at a talented young QB next year. 

So how many singles and doubles have we hit with cam clarke, max mitchell, carter warren?

Is Tippman a single, double or by the sounds of it he as grossly over drafted?

Sure you can find good oline anywhere just like any position but you can actually fix and oline long term with the right high picks.

D'Brick and Mangold were stupid picks cause they were like......too high.

BALDERDASH!

Best oileman in the game trent williams high pick, lane johsnon high pick.

The fact is you cannot afford to have a TERRIBLE oline and not using resources and just hoping they get coached up risky as hell.

Tunsil, dawkins, Lidstrom, mitch morse, creed humphrey, Zac Martin Tyron smith.

So many teams olines anchors are high picks.  (And high as in 1st or 2nd rounders)

If this is all on JD for not drafting or signing the right OL can someone explain to me how the Browns have 9 wins when they lost their top 3 OTs (Conklin, Jedrick Willis and Dawand Jones) along with their center?  They put up 20 points and beat the bears yesterday missing those 3 guys and then Bitonio when out of the game. Yet somehow Joe Flacco threw for 374 yards - do the browns have the best backup OL (and RB btw) in the history of the NFL?

We set up this team around Rogers who wanted Hackett because he is able to work with him, not because he has ever exhibited a semblance of being a good schematic OC.  We have no basis for the OL lineups that we use, we have Conklin who is an excellent blocker who never helps these guys and most importantly this team has ZERO accountability.  Garret didnt get a single target for 3 quarters?  How is that possible?

JD has picked some good players and I understand the frustration with him but every team in the NFL has good offensive games except the jets.  Nick Mullens scores points.  Case Keenan scores points.  Yet we cant even get yardage let alone TDs.  Thats not on JD

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Yea but that's not really full context. After all, the Jets were able to draft Darnold the year after they took Adams. The fact that Darnold busted is kind of irrelevant. The point is that we can pass on a QB this year, take an OT and if Rodgers doesn't work out (gets hurt or simply falls off a cliff), we could still have a shot at a talented young QB next year. 

But the likely scenario could be Rodgers comes back and is healthy. Let’s just for debating sake… we lose in the divisional round in the playoffs next year. But Rodgers then calls the quits. We draft a guy in the 4th round at QB next year. Not the 1st. So now going into the 2025 offseason. We have no Rodgers. Not a high 1st rounder bc we made the playoffs. And not the best mid round qb in his 2nd year.

Not the best situation. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Plen T said:

they cant put a young QB behind this line

and they cant put a 41 year old behind this line

the pick is OLine regardless

If we draft a QB, we cannot fix the OL. Regardless of how much cap space we’re going to have. It is known.

2 hours ago, Bungaman said:

I think a lot depends on if OL help can be had in FA. If JD can get a good one there, I can see going QB Rd 1, and OL again in Rd 2.

Problem is we don’t have our 2nd rd pick. He would need to add at least 2 tackles in free agency. Would they tag Becton? 

• Haha 1

The smart solution is this....

Go get 2 starting OTs in FA or via trade. Even 1 can be older if they want, but a viable starter. Not the Duane Brown type. Let Warren groom for another year and he can take over at one of the spots in 2025 and can be depth next year. I actually really like what I saw from him in his limited time as a starter for us.

This allows us in turn to have that option of going QB top 10. Whether is be Daniels, Williams or Maye. If it's not the guy we want that falls to us. Go OL, WR or Bowers at TE. Gives us flexibility.

14 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Eh that’s always the worst argument. Everyone said don’t draft OSU QBs also and now Stroud almost won MVP as a rookie 

Problem is, is that the argument holds water !!!  For every great USC QB that has played there, are an equal number of USC QB's that have busted in the NFL, with the exception of Carson Palmer.

Yeah but what happens when Rodgers gets hurt again or turns out to be a bust? What’s the future of the QB position on this team?
Whoever the Jets take at QB ... Whenever that is ... Learn from your goddam mistake and redshirt the guy until its crystal.clear he is ready.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, shawn306 said:

At this point. OL cause you are protecting Rodgers. 

Contrary to popular opinion - Truth is drafting a T in this year's draft "For Rodgers" doesn't make a lot of sense.  

1) Do we really want a rookie (1st round or not) protecting Rodger's blind side?  
2) More importantly can we really count on it? What if he's not ready?

In other words, JD can NOT hope his Tackle falls to him or that he'll prove to be ready.  If he has any sense whatsoever he's going to have to find a pay two legitimate starting caliber NFL Tackles regardless. 

If there's a QB there you like then you take him - it's the only move that makes sense.

• Upvote 1