the Jets are the Kings of useless wins

Dcat

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I wouldn't celebrate it.

But the dirty little secret about where the Jets draft is that....

200.gif?cid=d9212ad95k10522lrs2vbiye9t0h

But it does.  You just think it doesn’t because we do indeed pick pretty high most years.  Problem is we never seem to bottom out when we need to.  Always picking up those meaningless wins to cost us premium players we need.  

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

11 overall.  Exactly.  We could have been picking top 5.  Does it guarantee us a franchise LT?  No.  Does it give us a shot at one?  Absolutely.  Now we’re gonna be choosing between the 3rd best RT or a defensive player.  

Should be able to just take a WR 

this is a good WR class

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I’d buy this argument way more if we were picking a QB.

Picking the 2nd LT off the board at 5 instead of the 3rd LT off the board at 9 won’t change this franchise fortunes

You sure?

And even then, it’s not just about who you’re looking to take.  It’s about draft capital.  Lots of teams want to trade into the top 5 most years, particularly this one, and pay a kings ransom to do so.

Who’s giving up much to get pick 12?

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You feel like a King after this one?  Really?

And wins like these do far more to gain “schmuckdom” long-term than losses.  

No.  It’s a Di Nero quote from one of his movies.  

It’s much ado about nothing. Good franchises don’t worry about this stuff.  Good franchises aren’t worrying about losing to pick 4th instead of 9th because even in an off year, if they pick 9th, they will still get it right more often than not.

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

No.  It’s a Di Nero quote from one of his movies.  

It’s much ado about nothing. Good franchises don’t worry about this stuff.  Good franchises aren’t worrying about losing to pick 4th instead of 9th because even in an off year, if they pick 9th, they will still get it right more often than not.

Well we don’t which is exactly why I want the higher pick, lol.  Improves our odds of not f**king it up.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Lawrence = decent, but Not “generational”.

And Zach Wilson was a travesty.  Worse than Ryan Leaf and cost this franchise more seasons than Leaf, to boot.

Just because Lawrence isn’t elite doesn’t mean we should be happier than Jaguars fans right now by any means.  Can’t let good be the enemy of perfection when chasing QBs.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You sure?

And even then, it’s not just about who you’re looking to take.  It’s about draft capital.  Lots of teams want to trade into the top 5 most years, particularly this one, and pay a kings ransom to do so.

Who’s giving up much to get pick 12?

I’m sure. We aren’t taking a QB.

I guess the “tank” thing died for me with the Texans blowout. Frustrating this team was less competitive than their record but so it goes. Were running it back and not taking a QB so it is what it is.

The Pats will kick our ass and we’ll draft like 9th. It is what it is. The issues with this team are big picture imo. I get freaking out about winning a meaningless game in 2020 because it stuck us with Zach Wilson. This year I don’t think it means anything and some of the histrionics in this thread are embarrassing.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I’m sure. We aren’t taking a QB.

I guess the “tank” thing died for me with the Texans blowout. Frustrating this team was less competitive than their record but so it goes. Were running it back and not taking a QB so it is what it is.

The Pats will kick our ass and we’ll draft like 9th. It is what it is. The issues with this team are big picture imo. I get freaking out about winning a meaningless game in 2020 because it stuck is with Zach Wilson. This year I don’t think it means anything and some of the histrionics in this thread are embarrassing.

I meant “you sure” that the 1st/2nd best OT over the 4th wouldn’t be a meaningful difference.  

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

How long does the "meaningful win" crowd expect Trevor Lawrence to be QB of the Jaguars?

While Trevor Lawrence is QBing games at an acceptable/good level for the next decade, Zach Wilson will be in his 6th year on the Mountain West network.

Lawrence being a disappointment doesn’t make tanking bad.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I meant “you sure” that the 1st/2nd best OT over the 4th wouldn’t be a meaningful difference.  

Of course not, draft is a crap shoot. Nobody is ever “sure” of anything draft related.

But I like several of the OTs in this draft and I think I like the “projected” 3rd or 4th guy more than the kid from Penn State.

You want to know my point.  We traded for Sam darnold because of a sh*tty win like this. We gave up 3 picks. Let's look at who was available at those picks we had to give up. Brian onell pro bowl left tackle for the vikings. Courtland Sutton a very solid WR. Harold Landry.

Let's look at the year 2019.. Meaningless December win... We miss out on.... Nick Bosa.

2020 2 meaningless wins end up with Zack instead of Lawrence.

2014 draft ended up two meaningless wins and everyone pi ked before us was a pro bowler...People like Aaron Donald 4 picks ahead. Which we would have had without the wins.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And Zach Wilson was a travesty.  Worse than Ryan Leaf and cost this franchise more seasons than Leaf, to boot.

Just because Lawrence isn’t elite doesn’t mean we should be happier than Jaguars fans right now by any means.  Can’t let good be the enemy of perfection when chasing QBs.  

Partially true.  But the Jets are Proven that they are horrific at coaching anything on Offense, only One Year of having a Top 10 Offense in the last 38 Years.  Not claiming that Zach will turn it around 180 degrees when going to his next team, but a QB being drafted by the Jets is close to a death sentence.  Wilson wasn’t playing with Any NFL players on his side his 1st year.  His head was wrecked his 2nd Year.  This year he flashed as to why he was picked where he was.

San Francisco thought so highly of Wilson coming out that wanted to drop a boat load of riches on the Jets for the pick.  Draft is a crap shoot, always.

There’s No Way this current Jet coaching staff should be allowed to pick the next QB, I’m kind of glad they won’t.

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

You are correct. I don’t think Joe alt or Marvin Harrison are saving thee franchise. 100 percent stand by that 

They sure as sh*t have a much better shot at doing so than beating the sh*tty Commanders by 2 points in a lost season.  

“Culture change” in the NFL comes from, first and foremost, a core of young homegrown talent.  Particularly elite talent.  

The Jets are the only team to break the hearts of their fans twice a year.

The first is when we want to win, don't win and miss the playoffs.

The second is once we are out of the playoffs, want to lose and can't lose. So, it hurts our draft position.

Pretty amazing stuff. We are in a class of our own.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

lol the Jets have had these late season 'meaningful' wins every....single....year and it never means shi* the next year at all, all it does is screw the draft position.

We have missed the playoffs for 13 years in a row and have had late season 'meaningful' wins every stinking year.

Idiots never win when it counts, always win when it does not count.

Yep.  Theres nothing to gain with these wins.  Nothing.  It never carries over.  

Meanwhile we have proof positive they have damaged us.  Like how @Arsis pointed out we traded three 2nd rounders for Darnold because of a failure to tank properly the prior year.  A direct consequence.  

Or all the years where we failed to tank and teams picking ahead of us traded down for a massive stockpile of picks.  Direct consequence.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When # 1 overall is sitting there for you and you blow it, hell no it isn’t enough. 

The biggest pro-tanking argument as a Jet fan is 2020. We are in a much better spot as a team if we do what a 0-13 team is supposed to do, and lose against playoff teams.

• Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They sure as sh*t have a much better shot at doing so than beating the sh*tty Commanders by 2 points in a lost season.  

“Culture change” in the NFL comes from, first and foremost, a core of young homegrown talent.  Particularly elite talent.  

Again 4 top 15 picks in 3 years….

6-9

Drafting high is not a sign of success. Usually the sign of a bad franchise 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

6-9

You're not getting the point. Those top 15 picks could have been top 5. We would have been able to keep picks. Trade down. We would be in a better position had we just tanked instead of being  half added like this.

• Upvote 1

If you’re asking a team to tank, you’re pursuing a fantasy of your own making.  No team in the NFL tanks because the stakes are so high — for both the coaches and the players.  When you say “tank” that equates to losing on purpose.  No pro does that.  If you think they do, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.  Call me.  I’ll give you a real deal.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Arsis said:

You're not getting the point. Those top 15 picks could have been top 5. We would have been able to keep picks. Trade down. We would be in a better position had we just tanked instead of being  half added like this.

Well that’s not how any of this work. You don’t lose games intentionally unless you’re in some 1920s gambling ring. Players play for pride, money, tape, and contracts. As do coaches. So getting upset over a team winning a football game like there job and goal is, is just nonsensical. But yea keep getting upset 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

6-9

We’d be drafting high either way dude, lol.  We’re a bad franchise no matter what.  So give me the higher pick i can get excited about.  Reduces the chances of f**king the pick up.