the Jets are the Kings of useless wins

Dcat

6 hours ago, Grandy said:

I'm just tired of these current Jets. I'm tired of the coaches, I'm tired of the FO, I'm tired of a team that refuses to play competitive ball when it matters, I'm tired of us playing in a mediocre stadium in Jersey, I'm tired of the godawful uniforms that unfortunately suit a terrible team.

I honestly want to fire everyone, get rid of Rodgers' cronies, change the unis, and trade anyone for the right price. Complete organizational overhaul. I want to get rid of the stink. Every year since 2015 has been the same stale bullsh*t.

Unless somehow the owner decides to sell this franchise, the STINK will permeate until he's gone... Doesn't matter because he is a braindead owner. Like I said in another post, If for some reason, the NFL feels like it should somehow step in and gift us our George Young, then nothing is going to change the scenery until WOODY is gone.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

We drafted a franchise LT at 11 in 2020. His name was Becton. 

No gurantee any of these guys are going to be rockstars. It’s all a crapshoot. 

So, we shouldn't draft another franchise LT because Becton didn't work out?

Just trying to figure out the angle here!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hawk said:

Yeah, there will be about $50 million more by the time Free Agency Starts.  

If the team wants to eat a crap ton of dead money, or push even more money into the future, sure.  But there isn't a lot of wiggle room with many of those contracts because so many of them were pushed into 2024 to make room to build the New York Rodgers for 2023. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

If the team wants to eat a crap ton of dead money, or push even more money into the future, sure.  But there isn't a lot of wiggle room with many of those contracts because so many of them were pushed into 2024 to make room to build the New York Rodgers for 2023. 

We're better off biting the bullet in 2024.  Just have another complete meltdown and then clean house, but leave no salary cap issues for the next GM.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What about trade down options?  The higher you pick, the more likely it is someone will want to trade up for your pick and give you further picks.  

And what is the "crapshoot" range?  5 picks lower?  So picking #1 overall vs picking #6 overall?  Remember when we had to trade 3 #2's to trade up for Darnold?  Or 2 #3's to trade up for AVT?

Meanwhile the best move was to stay in our original slot and take the 3rd QB off the board, or trade down way further, add an extra 1st rounder that year or next, and take the 5th one.

Lawrence > Zach, but both Allen and Jackson > Darnold. 

10 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

It ain't happening.  We have $16 million in cap space and have to sign Quincy Williams and a starting LT and RT.  

Quincy Williams is already signed, and if you think this team is cutting and restructuring nobody you aren’t looking at that roster very hard. Still less if you think new players signed will have their average contract amount in y1 of said contracts.

With obvious cuts/restructures, and one obvious trade, they’ll easily bump that space to ~$70MM (hard to say exactly before the cap ceiling amount is announced).

• Trade Zach (with just 1 gtd year remaining someone will take a chance)
  • Restructure JFM
  • Restructure CJM (I prefer cut, but the Jets are stupid so they’ll restructure and add real or void years)
  • Restructure Lazard (add void years)
  • Cut Tomlinson
  • Cut Uzomah

Plus there’s more to restructure if needed, but it won’t be necessary as they can backload new signings more.

A half dozen $20-25MM/yr FAs aren’t flocking to the Jets anyway.

• Upvote 2

Also “franchise left tackle” is a stupid term. There are franchise QBs and that’s it, unless you’re talking about applying a franchise tag during a contract dispute.

Notwithstanding one year tags for players with a temporary contract stalemate, since there are also franchise tags for kickers and punters, there is one franchise player on the team: the QB.

…unless the team’s QB is Zach Wilson

Or Sam Darnold

Or 2000-teens Geno Smith

Or Mark Sanchez

PxTikw6Yzch8G6lnTxCpqqu4lnM=.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fwiw, there are 2 very recent examples of teams tanking:

-Jax replacing Gardner Minshew with Mike Glennon for the final few games during the Trevor Lawrence season

-The Eagles replacing Jalen Hurts with Nate Sudfeld.  

Minshew looked like sh*t in week 15 and 16. Member that brutal safety he took? He wasn’t good that year and also had a thumb injury that kept him sidelined earlier in the year. 

Marrone wasn’t tanking……get the facts straight at least 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Minshew looked like sh*t in week 15 and 16. Member that brutal safety he took? He wasn’t good that year and also had a thumb injury that kept him sidelined earlier in the year. 

Marrone wasn’t tanking……get the facts straight at least 

They were absolutely tanking.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Also “franchise left tackle” is a stupid term. There are franchise QBs and that’s it, unless you’re talking about applying a franchise tag during a contract dispute.

Notwithstanding one year tags for players with a temporary contract stalemate, since there are also franchise tags for kickers and punters, there is one franchise player on the team: the QB.

…unless the team’s QB is Zach Wilson

Or Sam Darnold

Or 2000-teens Geno Smith

Or Mark Sanchez

PxTikw6Yzch8G6lnTxCpqqu4lnM=.gif

Fully agreed!  Well, with one exception:

There is also such a thing as a franchise punter.

n3fdd01mpjjeft0ljoaa.thumb.jpg.9ecf8fbe2e9a20efaf7b7d17fbeb3a43.jpg

• Haha 3

Just now, maury77 said:

Its all funny until we realize there is a legit argument that Morstead was a top 5 player for the team this year. 

Lol!  He actually was a key player for us this year.  What's more amazing is that we had him previously (I think when Mann was injured) but we cut him.  Also amazing is that he was a FA.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

It is done annually throughout the League.  New Orleans was what $70 million under last year and were very active.  Dead Money is just a line item on a balance sheet.  Nothing more, nothing less.

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who else would drive it?  lol.  Why does this still need to be explained?  

Players and coaches don’t lose on purpose.  Ergo the control on personnel decisions (who plays and who doesn’t) has to be taken away from them, by….(drum roll)….the front office. 

Nobody’s driving.  It’s a fan’s wet dream, nothing more.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I’m sure. We aren’t taking a QB.

I guess the “tank” thing died for me with the Texans blowout. Frustrating this team was less competitive than their record but so it goes. Were running it back and not taking a QB so it is what it is.

The Pats will kick our ass and we’ll draft like 9th. It is what it is. The issues with this team are big picture imo. I get freaking out about winning a meaningless game in 2020 because it stuck us with Zach Wilson. This year I don’t think it means anything and some of the histrionics in this thread are embarrassing.

Thanks for saving me from having to post the same exact thing.

I love @Jetsfan80 and I get WHY they argue for tanking… what i don’t understand is how they don’t realize by now it’s not going to happen unless it’s a random one off thing like what Pederson got fired for doing it the last game of the season.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Well that’s not how any of this work. You don’t lose games intentionally unless you’re in some 1920s gambling ring. Players play for pride, money, tape, and contracts. As do coaches. So getting upset over a team winning a football game like there job and goal is, is just nonsensical. But yea keep getting upset 

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

For the record @Jetsfan80 I take no joy in meaningless wins at the end of a miserable season, and I get your frustration but I’ve watched enough bad football teams win at the worst possible time to realize tanking isn’t a thing in the NFL.

Short careers, (players, GMs and coaches) league perception, now the legal gambling ramifications are some of the reasons why.

I also feel like too many football fans confuse this sport with basketball. One player, (other than the increasingly rare and randomly found FQB) can single handle change around a franchise. To do that you need to stack good drafts a few times within a small #of years.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, extmenace said:

Losing that way would have done some damage to the locker room. I’m cool with a nice draft pick, but losing like that would have been bad. Take the win, let the team build some morale, and build on it. Top 5 pick is nice but there are difference makers that can be drafted at any pick in the first round. The jets just need to nail the pick. Justin jefferson was pick 22, ceedee lamb at 17. Same with offensive linemen, good ones can still be found at pick 8-12. This would be different if we were trying to land a qb. We’re not.

It does not matter whatsoever 8 months from now, sorry pal.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

This logic is so flawed it hurts…

The eagles win cost as much as the commanders win. You guys realize that? 

Teams don’t quit or play to lose. Get out of your fantasy fan world and come back to reality. Teams only have 17 and play to win each one. The only way a team “tanks” is by stripping a team of talent like we did in 2020. Even then it’s no guarantee. Going 0-17 in this league is almost as hard as going 17-0. You build a winning culture and rally to learn how to win. Picking 5th instead of 8th at the cost of loses is just plain stupid. 

Plus when teams “tank” it’s for a QB. You guys think a LT or WR saves this team? Or we can’t get a talent T or WR in the top 15? Wake the **** up. Garret Wilson wasn’t even taken till 10.

The draft fetish with jet fans is just weird especially when it’s given us so few results over the years. I guess it gives people something to do in feb march or April. Chill guys. It’s a god damn lotto ticket. Then again many of you prob spend to much money on your sports app and AC losing cash left and right.

timing is everything dude.  Mathematically all wins are equal.  Realistically, once the team is eliminated, wins are useless, if not detrimental. And that's a fact. And of course I don't expect any players or coaches to tank it.  I just want this fking team to start winning when it matters.  Because they don't.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

For the record @Jetsfan80 I take no joy in meaningless wins at the end of a miserable season, and I get your frustration but I’ve watched enough bad football teams win at the worst possible time to realize tanking isn’t a thing in the NFL.

Short careers, (players, GMs and coaches) league perception, now the legal gambling ramifications are some of the reasons why.

I also feel like too many football fans confuse this sport with basketball. One player, (other than the increasingly rare and randomly found FQB) can single handle change around a franchise. To do that you need to stack good drafts a few times within a small #of years.

But we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that NFL teams have done it all the same.  Hell, Hue Jackson even called out the Browns for ordering him to do it, and he had little incentive to make that up (he’s been blackballed from the league as a result, unsurprisingly).

And it isn’t always about one player.  Sometimes it’s about draft capital.  How many times have we seen teams move down from a top 3 spot for a king’s ransom?  Know any teams who were able to do that from, say, pick 8-12, like where we’re destined to pick from?  

11 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

This logic is so flawed it hurts…

The eagles win cost as much as the commanders win. You guys realize that? 

Teams don’t quit or play to lose. Get out of your fantasy fan world and come back to reality. Teams only have 17 and play to win each one. The only way a team “tanks” is by stripping a team of talent like we did in 2020. Even then it’s no guarantee. Going 0-17 in this league is almost as hard as going 17-0. You build a winning culture and rally to learn how to win. Picking 5th instead of 8th at the cost of loses is just plain stupid. 

Plus when teams “tank” it’s for a QB. You guys think a LT or WR saves this team? Or we can’t get a talent T or WR in the top 15? Wake the **** up. Garret Wilson wasn’t even taken till 10.

The draft fetish with jet fans is just weird especially when it’s given us so few results over the years. I guess it gives people something to do in feb march or April. Chill guys. It’s a god damn lotto ticket. Then again many of you prob spend to much money on your sports app and AC losing cash left and right.

How about if we win games when it matter instead of the only thing it does is kill our draft standing?

How about if these turds actually make plays when it counts.

If you look at my examples, I'll gladly forgo the wins none of us can remember and get the impact players.

Always lose the damn important games always win the meaningless game that screws us.

Enjoy that HUGE win vs Washington, it will come in handy come draft day,

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

How about if we win games when it matter instead of the only thing it does is kill our draft standing?

How about if these turds actually make plays when it counts.

If you look at my examples, I'll gladly forgo the wins none of us can remember and get the impact players.

Always lose the damn important games always win the meaningless game that screws us.

Enjoy that HUGE win vs Washington, it will come in handy come draft day,

Stopped caring about draft position a long time ago. Been picking high for years with no results. Winning organizations been picks 16 and over for years with better results. 

20 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

We drafted a franchise LT at 11 in 2020. His name was Becton. 

No gurantee any of these guys are going to be rockstars. It’s all a crapshoot. 

I called Bectons career in detail 2 months before the Jets drafted him. Most obvious, lazy POS out for a payday ever. 

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Stopped caring about draft position a long time ago. Been picking high for years with no results. Winning organizations been picks 16 and over for years with better results. 

That's because Woody is retarded and hires morons to run the team, and makes the same mistakes over and over again for going on 2 decades. 

I've been screaming "Build the O Line" since Nick and Brick retired. They picked a Safety,  a DT, and then for the third time in 12 years paired a rookie HC-former DC with a rookie QB with disastrous results.

Trusting the Jets to work the draft properly and find the right pieces beyond the #5 pick is lunacy.

Then again, I don't think they ever get it together,  and I will go my entire life without seeing the Jets even appear in a SB.

Shocked Season 6 GIF by This Is Us

On 12/24/2023 at 5:04 PM, RoadFan said:

@ausman

Still think I’m the only one?  I agree with the “draft is a crap shoot” take, to a degree.

That said, good chance the Jets just cost themselves a LT.  

Doesn't matter Arron already picked out the LT David Bakhtiari. This team is being run by Arron they will trade the first round pick for Divanti Adams.

On 12/24/2023 at 4:37 PM, Dcat said:

Too bad this team doesn't win when it counts.  That is what truly matters. This meaningless win has the sad byproduct of giving us a much lower draft pick. Same thing every year.  Tired of it.  Win when it counts dammit. 

soj 😑