Elijah Moore urged to Retire by Doctor

JetsFanatic

We know franchises in the NFL are going for high end money and revenues for teams are ultra. We all love the game of football minus one thing. The injuries. As for future value of NFL franchises there's two obvious things that could stand in the way. People's changing interests which happens all the time. Things are fads for a while and then people move on to something else. It doesn't look like that will happen football and baseball etc have been around for well over a century and more popular than ever. The other thing that could take down the league is concussions, And law suits stemming from them. 

• Upvote 1

We know franchises in the NFL are going for high end money and revenues for teams are ultra. We all love the game of football minus one thing. The injuries. As for future value of NFL franchises there's two obvious things that could stand in the way. People's  changing interests which happens all the time. Things are fads for a while and then people move on to something else. It doesn't look like that will happen football and baseball etc have been around for well over a century and more popular than ever. The other thing that could take down the league is concussions, And law suits stemming from them. 
Rather than regulate out of the game the restrictions should come on the physical nature of the player ala boxing. Linemen can only weigh so much... Etc etc.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

You should understand more about the man you call a TV doctor before dismissing his opinion. He is a very qualified and respected authority in the field of TBI. Moore was having a seizure on the field. Anyone, even TV viewers could see it was serious. Hope not of course but he may have a permanent injury.

A well respected doctor should know to examine the patient before making a diagnosis.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Great trade by Douglas.

Didn’t like Moore’s attitude at the time when he basically forced his way off the team, but you can easily see now that the Jets have hands down the Worst group of “coaches” on the Offensive side of the ball imaginable.

His attitude was almost justified.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

The patient had undeniable, objective, overt, symptoms of grand mal seizure seen by millions......so stop.

Ok, I'm sure his own physician was able to figure that out and make a recommendation to Moore. So, you stop saying that you and TV doc know better than the doctors treating Moore.

Oh, how many patients that he active treats (as in examines physically) does TV doc have?

• WTF? 1

51 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

emoji23.png really .. so to you football is Sumo wrestling??? emoji23.png

Putting size restrictions on football players is the same as putting speed restrictions on them. This is a game of massive freaks who are modern day gladiators fighting it out in the gridiron. Size matters in this sport and saying “let’s see what smaller men can do” is changing and diminishing the nature of the competition.

• Upvote 1

Putting size restrictions on football players is the same as putting speed restrictions on them. This is a game of massive freaks who are modern day gladiators fighting it out in the gridiron. Size matters in this sport and saying “let’s see what smaller men can do” is changing and diminishing the nature of the competition.
You're living in the past. The game has become an offensive race .. the NFL is pushing it as a finesse skill competition... The days of it being a power game are over as big hits have largely been legislated out of the game.

So putting a range of allowable weights per position class could make sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 4

28 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

You're living in the past. The game has become an offensive race .. the NFL is pushing it as a finesse skill competition... The days of it being a power game are over as big hits have largely been legislated out of the game.

Will there be assigned areas of the field that guys of certain weights can play? Otherwise.. ok.. all my guys are defensive tackles... then it completely ignores that many of the most brutal hits come from guys who aren't at the top of their weight for their positions. It just doesn't make any sense as a solution. You already have natural limits.. there's a reason why body builders don't play football.

That's before you get into the very, very obvious side effect that you will have guys cutting weight for the "weigh" in like with boxing, but with the much more detrimental issue of it being weekly... and all the logistics of performing weigh in on 46-53 guys every week. It's like bringing all the awfulness of the officiating and making it last throughout the entire week.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Ok, I'm sure his own physician was able to figure that out and make a recommendation to Moore. So, you stop saying that you and TV doc know better than the doctors treating Moore.

Oh, how many patients that he active treats (as in examines physically) does TV doc have?

Kind of a weird hill to die on here, my guy. Moore clearly suffered what appeared to be a tonic-clonic seizure after a hit to the head. At the very least, a prolonged period of not playing football, coupled with a ~72hr EEG and MRI/fMRI are pretty much no-brainers. I'm not his treating physician, but I am an ED RN who's seen enough of this in the past to know 1) what this looks like, and 2) what should follow. 

Want to get into the ethics of this? Have at it. But the doc responsible for calling the NFL out on its sh*tty practices regarding CTE says Moore should take a significant break or retire. Guy knows what he's talking about. POSSIBLY.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Maybe that's part of the problem. If you slow down the game, you will likely see less injuries. First thing I would do is eliminate the defensive "holding" penalty, or at least not have it result in a first down. Basically would be like a hand check in basketball (which they also eliminated to make the game more offense oriented, but diluted the game to a series of 1v1 matchups). 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Jetworks said:

Want to get into the ethics of this? Have at it. But the doc responsible for calling the NFL out on its sh*tty practices regarding CTE says Moore should take a significant break or retire. Guy knows what he's talking about. POSSIBLY.

Just a couple simple questions..

1. When did he examine Moore?

2. Why were Moore's examining physicians unable to make the right diagnosis and/or offer the right advice?

3. How many patients has TV doc examined in the last year?

4. Can you point me to the statement from TV doc where he has said that he will eschew financial compensation for appearances related to concussions?

5. Why is the strawman of pretending I ever said that Moore did not suffer a seizure required for your argument?

• WTF? 1
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

I can see you like to argue, so I'll let you continue to do so with someone other than me for points 1-4.

As for #5, I've yet to see you admit that it was likely a seizure, and I simply explained that if that were so, what the likely course of action would/should be IMO. So, no strawman, but you're certainly gaslighting.

My "argument" is predicated upon what my trained, objective experience tells me I witnessed. It's why I can clinically respond appropriately from across a room when I see symptom XYZ.  Same for the doc I'm assuming. Speculating on that and subsequently commenting about logical, well-established protocols seems to be where you're hung up. Again, weird hill to die on, but go off. And have a healthy and happy New Year. 

I like the whole "I'm not gonna argue with you, but here's my argument."

This doc did not "respond". He's not trying to "help" Moore. Why are you continually insulting Moore's medical team? Seem very unprofessional. Very strange hill to die on for you. Do you treat your patients or randomly walk across the room to patients who are already getting medical attention and interject?

I'm glad you decided to bow out when you realized that your argument that people should randomly interject their medical opinions from the TV to patients being treated by a medical staff was ill advised and that as a professional you should feel bad.

• WTF? 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dunnie said:

The NFL could have the lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight Super Bowl.   Goodell will pop a boner just thinking about this money making scheme.  

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I like the whole "I'm not gonna argue with you, but here's my argument."

This doc did not "respond". He's not trying to "help" Moore. Why are you continually insulting Moore's medical team? Seem very unprofessional. Very strange hill to die on for you. Do you treat your patients or randomly walk across the room to patients who are already getting medical attention and interject?

I'm glad you decided to bow out when you realized that your argument that people should randomly interject their medical opinions from the TV to patients being treated by a medical staff was ill advised and that as a professional you should feel bad.

trouble-in.gif

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

You know nothing about TV doc and think his opinion is better than Moore's medical team. Just because the busted clock may say something that is true doesn't mean he's the best person to give advice when he has never examined the patient. You go on with yourself.

..but seriously, when was the last time he examined a patient? And he has eschewed those appearance fees yet? Is he finished distorting the findings?

You keep in defending a guy that makes money off his "position" without actually engaging the injured players or examining them. This isn't hard information to find which begs the question why are you intent on your reputable source of *checks notes* heavy.com?

Do you want on just keep posting pics about a TV doc you don't actually have information on or actually provide something that shows he isn't a scam artist profiting off fake science and players health issues?

"But across the brain science community, there is wide consensus on one thing: Omalu, the man considered by many the public face of CTE research, routinely exaggerates his accomplishments and dramatically overstates the known risks of CTE and contact sports, fueling misconceptions about the disease, according to interviews with more than 50 experts in neurodegenerative disease and brain injuries, and a review of more than 100 papers from peer-reviewed medical journals. "

Again, explain why you think Moore needs his advice and why Moore' medical team isn't giving him appropriate advice?

Perhaps.. that shovel of your is feeling a bit heavy?

• WTF? 2