Later round QB prospect talk: Rattler, Pratt and Milton

I am sure our dumb team wont even consider an early qb pic, so maybe they might consider a later one. This might be the best overall class of qbs of all time !

So, Rattler........idk that much about him but he is talented and an ass?

Pratt - I think this is a great prospect. Check his stats he has improved in every category each year without a setback. I can see this kid being a late round success story. His numbers are very good.

Milton - OK, this kid REALLY intrigues me. I mean REALLY intrigues me. He is a massive 6 foot 5 inch 240 lb er. He might have the strongest arm in the world and I mean on the entire planet not just college but pros as well. On top of that he can scramble and has no fear of a collapsing pocket.

Anybody watch any of these guys in depth? Care to chime in?

id rank them as Pratt, Milton, Rattler. 

I've never cared for rattler, even back to his HS days.  Kid just really rubs you the wrong way.  I'm sure he's matured a little at SC but i just wouldnt want to add him to the mix. 

Pratt has probably the best chance to be productive as he's already on the road to refinement.  He's not as uber talented physically as some of the other guys, but he has a good deal of polish already and can continue to grow.  Wouldnt surprise me if he is an average-above average nfl starter with a floor of a career priority Qb2

Milton is the guy you take a swing on and see what you can manage.  Obviously he has the size and his arm is as special as they come, but he also needs plenty of work.  If you have an older established starter, he is the perfect gamble.  His floor is completely inconsistent nfl player who can give you flashes one game and flame out for 5 straight (ala a zach wilson) or he can be someone akin to josh allen.  You may need to sit him for 2-3 years before you give him a try, but his upside more than warrants a 5th rd pick. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

should also note the problem with developing milton that may drop him more is the fact that he's 24 already i believe (i know he'll be on the older side for a rookie)  So if you sit him for 3 years he's aready 27 ish which isnt the most ideal situation.  

• Upvote 1

Milton has the build and the arm, and that's about it from what I've seen.  I'd rather have Rattler tbh.  

Pratt will most likely be gone by the 4th, so for us to get him we probably have to spend our 3rd rounder.  Considering we don't have a 2nd, I'm not sure how I feel about spending our 2nd highest pick on a guy who won't play next year.  4th, 100%, but I doubt he lasts that long.

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

Milton has the build and the arm, and that's about it from what I've seen.  I'd rather have Rattler tbh.  

Pratt will most likely be gone by the 4th, so for us to get him we probably have to spend our 3rd rounder.  Considering we don't have a 2nd, I'm not sure how I feel about spending our 2nd highest pick on a guy who won't play next year.  4th, 100%, but I doubt he lasts that long.

Pratt will be gone early to mid 3rd round.  High ceiling low floor qb with good intangibles and fundamentals.  His arm is meh but good enough for most throws.  I can’t see the jets taking even pratt in the 3rd unless they get another day 2 pick somehow. 

5 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

should also note the problem with developing milton that may drop him more is the fact that he's 24 already i believe (i know he'll be on the older side for a rookie)  So if you sit him for 3 years he's aready 27 ish which isnt the most ideal situation.  

Even if he's 27, so what.   He can still start 10-12 years in the NFL

QBs, age just doesn't matter that much (in my humble opinion).  They are so protected, they can play into mid-late 30s with no issue.  And, if he starts at age 27, he'll be a "young" 27, without near the hits and mileage on his arm as other Qbs

13 hours ago, chirorob said:

Even if he's 27, so what.   He can still start 10-12 years in the NFL

QBs, age just doesn't matter that much (in my humble opinion).  They are so protected, they can play into mid-late 30s with no issue.  And, if he starts at age 27, he'll be a "young" 27, without near the hits and mileage on his arm as other Qbs

this is true, you just have to think about it in terms of viable investments into a players prime.  at 27 most players are in the middle of their prime.  like right now Allen is 27 Jackson 26, Burrow 26, Herbert 25, these guys have at minimum 10 more years if not more likely 15 and have already won either an mvp or been established for a few years.  

So while its in no means an absolute deal breaker, if youre telling me that my qb is going to be just beginning his starting stint at 27 when guys a year younger have already won multiple mvps, it just is something to think about. 

Talking with someone last night.... Milton may rise.  He's going to pop at the combine if he gets an invite (im assuming he will).  People are saying he may have the strongest arm anyone has seen in a long time.   Theres videos of him throwing the ball legitimately 80 yards, and the guy I was talking to said he hasnt even unlocked his lower body yet.  He said its realistic that with improved throwing mechanics his arm even gets stronger (basically saying he can use his core and base more to generate power, they dont want to tool too much with his motion because his release is very quick).  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Talking with someone last night.... Milton may rise.  He's going to pop at the combine if he gets an invite (im assuming he will).  People are saying he may have the strongest arm anyone has seen in a long time.   Theres videos of him throwing the ball legitimately 80 yards, and the guy I was talking to said he hasnt even unlocked his lower body yet.  He said its realistic that with improved throwing mechanics his arm even gets stronger (basically saying he can use his core and base more to generate power, they dont want to tool too much with his motion because his release is very quick).  

He’s the exact archetype I’ve always wanted the Jets to have. Huge and a cannon. That size just helps give an answer against pressure occasionally and the arm keeps defenses honest.

There hits a point that risk-reward is completely worth it. Think he’s a long shot to work out but he’d be a fun add. Imagine he could be up Douglas’ alley too.

50 minutes ago, derp said:

He’s the exact archetype I’ve always wanted the Jets to have. Huge and a cannon. That size just helps give an answer against pressure occasionally and the arm keeps defenses honest.

There hits a point that risk-reward is completely worth it. Think he’s a long shot to work out but he’d be a fun add. Imagine he could be up Douglas’ alley too.

yea he's a nice guy to give you that "what if" feeling.  And he's got some good aspects to his game that you like right off the bat.  he navigates the pocket nicely, doesnt get rattled by pressure, has an absolute nuke for an arm.   He needs seasoning though, post snap reading defenses is an issue, touch is an issue (which generally is for guys with that kind of arm) accuracy under pressure can be too game ive watched he was throwing the ball high on the run.  so its time and coaching.  I think physically he has all the tools though, i think its similar to Richardson last year, although i dont know if Milton would rise nearly that high to be a top 10 pick. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

yea he's a nice guy to give you that "what if" feeling.  And he's got some good aspects to his game that you like right off the bat.  he navigates the pocket nicely, doesnt get rattled by pressure, has an absolute nuke for an arm.   He needs seasoning though, post snap reading defenses is an issue, touch is an issue (which generally is for guys with that kind of arm) accuracy under pressure can be too game ive watched he was throwing the ball high on the run.  so its time and coaching.  I think physically he has all the tools though, i think its similar to Richardson last year, although i dont know if Milton would rise nearly that high to be a top 10 pick. 

Yeah I have been impressed with his pocket management at a glance and to me that’s such a huge trait. Definitely a mess mechanically though.

Like you said, the age thing is huge. It’s interesting looking at someone like that who’s going to be 24 on draft day. He’s like half a year younger than Zach Wilson. 

Not like he hasn’t been coached either, he had three years with Harbaugh at Michigan. There’s a compelling argument that he’s not going to improve a ton mechanically unless he goes to the exact right place.

I don’t know where risk/reward gets to the right area because the upside is enormous. the downside is really obvious too, and he’s not playing right away. Even with all that talent I don’t know if I could get behind him in the first two rounds, and the third feels a little rich too - though the Jets not having a 2 may play into that. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah I have been impressed with his pocket management at a glance and to me that’s such a huge trait. Definitely a mess mechanically though.

Like you said, the age thing is huge. It’s interesting looking at someone like that who’s going to be 24 on draft day. He’s like half a year younger than Zach Wilson. 

Not like he hasn’t been coached either, he had three years with Harbaugh at Michigan. There’s a compelling argument that he’s not going to improve a ton mechanically unless he goes to the exact right place.

I don’t know where risk/reward gets to the right area because the upside is enormous. the downside is really obvious too, and he’s not playing right away. Even with all that talent I don’t know if I could get behind him in the first two rounds, and the third feels a little rich too - though the Jets not having a 2 may play into that. 

yea I agree.  I have thought if i could get him in the 5th id have to really consider it.  Just because the ceiling is so high.  The floor though is unbelievably low.  Its one of those things if you have a mid to late 5th and youve added depth and pieces youve needed in the other rounds.  that may be the spot to take a swing if he's sitting there.  Otherwise you'd probably want a guy like pratt in the back half of 3 or 4.  At least with him you can be pretty sure he could develop into at minimum a career + backup. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

I would LOVE milton or pratt.

Man Milton as a jet with a solid O line and speedy receivers and breece to keep the d honest. bomb after bomb

a gal can dream ya know

taking over after Rodgers in two years, damn that would be awesome

Milton was a guy I was very interested in watching this year and his production was a huge let down.  Also didn't help him that as a potential UDFA he sat out a bowl game.  I understand guys doing it who are going in round 1, but when you might not even get picked and don't play to help your cause?  Red flag for me.

Rattler appears to be the douchiest of all douches but in fairness, played at a much higher level this season and looked like a guy worth rolling the dice on IF he has matured.  Big if.

Pratt is a guy I haven't seen much of but have been impressed with what I've seen.  Might be my favorite of the three.

Would also look at any of these guys on day 3:

Sam Hartman

Devin Leary

Jason Bean (more likely a UDFA)

Brady Cook.

All developmental guys who are long shots to work out but did some good things in college and have some traits you can work with.

On 1/25/2024 at 11:53 AM, Lupz27 said:

Spencer Rattler shouldn’t be on draft boards, and stay away UDFA as well.

Yup.  I have wanted nothing to do with this kid ever since watching him on Netflix QB1 show when he was in High School.  Does not seem like a guy anyone would want leading their franchise.  And his play has been so erratic.  Have not studied him in any detail, but my gut says stay away, very far away.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Brugler and Jeremiah saying there’s Bo Nix top ten buzz which is wild

as the process goes on he's going to get a lot of comparisons to Herbert.  Theres legit buzz he'll be a big riser.  And he's competing in everything which teams love to see.  Senior bowl, combine, he's not shying away from it like we've seen with some guys (albeit guys projected to go top 3).

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2024 at 8:44 AM, HighPitch said:

I am sure our dumb team wont even consider an early qb pic, so maybe they might consider a later one. This might be the best overall class of qbs of all time !

So, Rattler........idk that much about him but he is talented and an ass?

Pratt - I think this is a great prospect. Check his stats he has improved in every category each year without a setback. I can see this kid being a late round success story. His numbers are very good.

Milton - OK, this kid REALLY intrigues me. I mean REALLY intrigues me. He is a massive 6 foot 5 inch 240 lb er. He might have the strongest arm in the world and I mean on the entire planet not just college but pros as well. On top of that he can scramble and has no fear of a collapsing pocket.

Anybody watch any of these guys in depth? Care to chime in?

Milton is tantalizing, but how many starts does he have?  

15?

**** that.

Give me Pratt. 

• 2 weeks later...