Cimini: JD has eye on OT Taliese Fuaga

Just now, Skeet Ulrich said:

Better run blocker than pass blocker. Projects to be a high end starter, wouldn't be mad at the pick.

Bring in a veteran free agent (Bahktari?) .. then we’d be looking at a line of 

Bahktari 

AVT

Tippman

Fuaga 

swing: Carter Warren

maybe bring back Tomlinson if he takes pay cut? 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Bowers goes on to be a star

Bowers looks great.  Generational.  Over the past 10+ years we have seen many TEs be predicted to be great.   The Falcons used a high pick on the last generational TE, and they still stink.  Hockensen.  Djoku.  Guys like Gronk, Kelce and Kittle get picked in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th round.   There are no FA OL available really, particularly Ts.  You need Ts for an NFL team.  You draft them in Round 1 if you have to.  You try and find them lower.  You don't use the 1st round for C and G-those you have to find lower.  Basically 2nd for C and 3 and 4 for G. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

who said he isn't a good pass blocker? its just that he is a very elite run blocker. he's only given up 4 qb hits in his last 2 years a starter and has never given up a sack during his college career AT ALL

He might struggle with elite NFL pass rushers but most rookie OTs do, so that's not really a demerit. He has the prerequisite wingspan/technique/athletic ability to be a positive pass blocker. I'd be very happy to draft him at 10.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That's how we know he sucks. 

lol thats funny. but this guy is like the sauce garner of tackles. just like sauce never gave up a td in college. this kis has never given up a sack and only 4 qb hits since being a starter (and he started i think 4 games as a freshman)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

He might struggle with elite NFL pass rushers but most rookie OTs do, so that's not really a demerit. He has the prerequisite wingspan/technique/athletic ability to be a positive pass blocker. I'd be very happy to draft him at 10.

he might but he might not. i'm no scout but he looks pretty quick on his feet. 

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Bahktari 

AVT

Tippman

Fuaga 

I think this lineup could be a good OL, but if we signing Bahktari then we need to be signing another LT that could be expected to start in the likely event Bahktari goes down with another injury. Given the amount of cautious+incentive $ that Bahktari would get I don't anticipate that would be cost prohibitive and we would be able to sign 2 LTs in the bargain department.

I do wonder if we recoup a 2nd round pick if we'd be inclined to draft a LT in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of signing an additional LT.

• Upvote 1

Fuaga seems like the best combo of upside plus high floor in this draft.  I don't think Alt's upside is crazy high but he seems like a safe bet to be a good LT.  Olu seems like the opposite - huge upside but big bust potential.  Fuaga seems to have the big upside but at the very least he projects as a high-end run blocking RT at the NFL level.  If we miss out on Bowers and Odunze, he'd probably be right up there as far as guys I would take.

Also I'm starting to think the safe move is to sign a LT.  You just can't bank on one of the big LTs dropping to us in the draft - not at this point in time at least(maybe that'll change come April).  I'd rather just bring in a short term veteran LT and then see how the draft plays out.  If the weapons are gone, take Fuaga.  If Bowers is there, take him and then try to move up in the 2nd for a guy like Beebe or Barton or Haynes.  Slot them in at RG and bounce AVT to RT.  IMO that would be the safest way to go.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Bahktari 

AVT

Tippman

Fuaga 

can we stop with the Bahktari nonsense? dude is not a serious starting LT candidate in 2024. has barely played this decade.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Because good OL are only available in rd 1 apparently. 

If you're patient enough to develop them, sure.  We still have a couple of guys who could become something, even though I'm sure a bunch of people already consider them busts.  Warren looked pretty good in his time at LT when Becton was down.  He'd be a guy I'd love to see get another year of development behind a short-term vet(Bakhtiari) to see if he could take over that spot.  Even Mitchell has showed some signs of promise.  Mostly pre-blood clot issue, but even this past season he completely shut down Maxx Crosby, which is pretty incredible when you think about it.  This guy viewed as a "nothing, depth piece", less than 2 years removed from being a 4th rounder, shut down arguably the best pass rusher in the league.

Problem is there is risk in relying on these guys to earn starter spots.  People want certainty, and certainty only comes from UFA signings or 1st rounders....but even then, it's never certain....just less risk.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

can we stop with the Bahktari nonsense? dude is not a serious starting LT candidate in 2024. has barely played this decade.

Just now, Jack Straw said:

This might be the most annoying LT candidate of the 2024 class.

Jets fans watch two straight seasons of the offensive line being decimated by injuries and their first instinct is to sign/trade for a LT who's played 13 games in the last three years.

I would not rule that out or call it nonsense at all.  If he shakes loose or becomes available, I fully expect the Jets to be the first callers to Green Bay or his agent.  They tried to work a package deal out last year when Rodgers talks developed.  That fell through because Green Bay wanted him for Love.  He’s, also, probably Aaron’s closest friend in the league.