With the recent messes, is it still still possible saleh gets fired?

On 2/3/2024 at 12:15 AM, Wit said:

I’m kind of done with him.

Firing him should still be on the table (should've happened months ago) and while it doesn't feel like a Jets type of move, I think it'd be crazy to completely rule it out.

Not sure how much incompetence, stupidity and weakness a head coach has to show before Woody puts an end to it.

• Upvote 1

Woody mentioned that he bought Rodger’s in for this epic run. Woodys keen eye noticed they needed better qb play and personally pursued Rodger’s and gave him carte Blanche as an advisor to the team.

With that said, Saleh is woodys punching bag until this ultimately fails (which everybody except the jets sees coming). And when it fails woody will point the finger at Douglas and Saleh. 

Then, young brick Johnson will be included in the next gm/coaching search. Bright future ahead 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Hex said:

Not to mention the 3 top coaches still on the market are defensive coaches, which three weeks ago was a big no no on this board.

Interesting fact, I heard on the radio yesterday 5 of the 8 coaches hired in this cycle were defensive coaches.

• Upvote 1

Interesting fact, I heard on the radio yesterday 5 of the 8 coaches hired in this cycle were defensive coaches.
That is fascinating... Here is a question... Would you prefer a Defensive coach that preaches simplicity, speed and familiarity over innovation, agility and intelligence?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I think everyone is missing the boat here. The scarier question you should ask yourselves is what happens if they actually make a playoff run? 

Do you extend JD?

What about Saleh? You bring him back as a lame duck coach?

If woody has already determined they're not the guys, then they're essentially both lame ducks right now. It's gonna be an awkward situation end of next year. 

Also, does anyone get the feeling their is at least a soft commitment to JD right now (maybe why they parted ways with Rex as a zach fall guy) and Saleh is coaching for his life? Is it possible JD gets to pick another coach and draft another qb?

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

If that's the case then you mortgage the entire draft and Sauce to move up to a top 2 spot

for what another QB?

why are we so in a hurry to draft a QB again. its failed so many times for us. some of you guys are done with Saleh? well im done with drafting QBs. at least in the 1st rd. plenty of QBs out there who are really good drafted later on. the percentages are much better to hit on a player in rd 1 then a QB.

a 1st rd QB is the future, he is the QB. and we will do everything to make sure of it and to justify using a top pick on him.

no, no more. draft a guy in rd 4 that nobody cares about and if he wants it bad enough he will emerge like Dak or Russ Wilson. after Rodgers sign the best FA QB. 

30 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I think everyone is missing the boat here. The scarier question you should ask yourselves is what happens if they actually make a playoff run? 

Do you extend JD?

What about Saleh? You bring him back as a lame duck coach?

If woody has already determined they're not the guys, then they're essentially both lame ducks right now. It's gonna be an awkward situation end of next year. 

Also, does anyone get the feeling their is at least a soft commitment to JD right now (maybe why they parted ways with Rex as a zach fall guy) and Saleh is coaching for his life? Is it possible JD gets to pick another coach and draft another qb?

how can you fire a HC who gets us to the playoffs for the 1st time in 14 years?

if we make the playoffs with Rodgers than thats proof he just needed a QB and is a good HC. just like every other good HC, they all have QBs.

he won 7 games 2 years in a row with the worst QB room in the NFL. but this board acts like we went 0-17 with Rodgers playing a full year. thats pretty good when you think about it.

hes not costing us games like that shmuck in Detroit. 

i think both JD and Saleh get 3-4 year extensions if we make the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Firing him should still be on the table (should've happened months ago) and while it doesn't feel like a Jets type of move, I think it'd be crazy to completely rule it out.

Not sure how much incompetence, stupidity and weakness a head coach has to show before Woody puts an end to it.

I think the actual answer is going to be "a minimum of 1 more year".  Though I guess it's possible Saleh could get fired in-season if Woody sees the season spiraling away.

for what another QB?
why are we so in a hurry to draft a QB again. its failed so many times for us. some of you guys are done with Saleh? well im done with drafting QBs. at least in the 1st rd. plenty of QBs out there who are really good drafted later on. the percentages are much better to hit on a player in rd 1 then a QB.
a 1st rd QB is the future, he is the QB. and we will do everything to make sure of it and to justify using a top pick on him.
no, no more. draft a guy in rd 4 that nobody cares about and if he wants it bad enough he will emerge like Dak or Russ Wilson. after Rodgers sign the best FA QB. 
I was being snarky

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, doitny said:

thats cause nobody here thinks. they just want to fire this one or that one and think the next guy will be better.

fire MLF!!!!

ok

i dont want another 1st time OC.

ok

we just hired Hackett

OMG WTF did we do!!!!!! we should have kept MLF.

It gets worse when other teams like the Bills fire their coaches and their team does get better. Makes people think firing is guaranteed to improve things.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

No idea what happened to the tweet that was on here but if Sharp is right that's a really smart move. Kinda like the stuff the BB did for years, like when he kept taking delay of game penalties to run the clock out.

I would not mind if they fired Saleh and promoted Ulbrich.  Would not solve much but would at least spare us Saleh rah rah bs and analogies.  Also could help to eliminate the stench of the last 3 years and reset to a coach with 0-0 record.

I would even give Hackett promotion to assistant HC and bring in another OC - maybe this would make all parties semi happy while not firing him outright.

I think though there is a bigger issue at GM

On a more serious note, JD’s bumbling team is now a man down, and our coach is flapping in the breeze.

So, in this going for broke here, you have to wonder if we are going to be able make properly informated draft picks, and I would guess that we are not going to be an attractive destination for FAs.  OL and WRs in FA are pretty scarce, and those are the positions we need.  Who is signing onto this sinking ship?

5 hours ago, doitny said:

how can you fire a HC who gets us to the playoffs for the 1st time in 14 years?

if we make the playoffs with Rodgers than thats proof he just needed a QB and is a good HC. just like every other good HC, they all have QBs.

he won 7 games 2 years in a row with the worst QB room in the NFL. but this board acts like we went 0-17 with Rodgers playing a full year. thats pretty good when you think about it.

hes not costing us games like that shmuck in Detroit. 

i think both JD and Saleh get 3-4 year extensions if we make the playoffs.

Exactly this. The whole thing is very simple, a jaded fanbase that’s low on patience from years of losing had a mental breakdown because a potential Super Bowl season was derailed in 4 plays. The literal dream scenario for the “woe is me” crowd. Just as the wound was starting to heal their vulnerability was taken advantage of by a couple of hack journalists with vendettas and classic anonymous sources. You have guys like Xavier Newman blocking for Zach Wilson and Tim Boyle and somehow win 7 games (again) while beating multiple playoff teams along the way. I’m not a huge fan of Saleh but if he was that much of the problem the team would be finishing much worse than 7-10 considering the offensive personnel that was trotted out there.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On a more serious note, JD’s bumbling team is now a man down, and our coach is flapping in the breeze.
So, in this going for broke here, you have to wonder if we are going to be able make properly informated draft picks, and I would guess that we are not going to be an attractive destination for FAs.  OL and WRs in FA are pretty scarce, and those are the positions we need.  Who is signing onto this sinking ship?

You're looking at a team that won 7 games two years in a row with atrocious QB play. If they can sign a decent backup QB I don't see why a prospective FA wouldn't sign up to play on this team with Rodgers at QB and an insurance plan in the event he gets hurt again. And as much as fans hate Saleh, the players seem to love him. I dont think it's as big of an issue as it's made out to be.
  • Upvote 1

On 2/4/2024 at 12:14 PM, T0mShane said:

I know these fan-created content accounts are probably just click-farming, but it’s fun speculation that Saleh could be on the outs given who’s available in the coaching ranks right now. 

Sooo......any chance this is real? Asking for a friend and I have no friends and I'm my own friend....so I'm asking for me really okay fine I admire it, whatever.

• Haha 1

fwiw Quinnen did an AMA on reddit yesterday and gave Saleh a big vote of confidence 

he is everything you want in a leader and coach passion everyday.-QW

i know Saleh is a popular target but he's not what's wrong with this team. It's the mistakes made building an offense, the Zach and Aaron Moves, Hackett, the Aaron Friends parade of losers

all of this is technically under Saleh's purview as HC, but for the most part he's handcuffed by decisions being made way higher up the food chain 

alot of the QB meddling has to come from ownership, if we're being real about it 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

fwiw Quinnen did an AMA on reddit yesterday and gave Saleh a big vote of confidence 

i know Saleh is a popular target but he's not what's wrong with this team. It's the mistakes made building an offense, the Zach and Aaron Moves, Hackett, the Aaron Friends parade of losers

all of this is technically under Saleh's purview as HC, but for the most part he's handcuffed by decisions being made way higher up the food chain 

alot of the QB meddling has to come from ownership, if we're being real about it 

A lot of truth to how the offense has been constructed + mismanaged etc.

However, I could sympathize more with Coach Saleh if we had a good and functioning run game and OL and I'll tell you why...

He wanted to bring the "Shanahan Offense" to the Jets, his words. That offense is predicated on the run game and zone blocking and it's been a disaster. The Garropolo years where he was hurt for long stretches or entire years in SF, the 49ers were still able to run the ball and put up some points.

This guy has absolutely no idea how to install this or any offense. Okay fine CEO-TYPE don't need to be experts in every facet but THEY HAVE TO HIRE WELL then. I tell my managers all the time, you don't have to do every piece of work done for your team but you need to make sure it gets done correctly.

Oversight...he has none because I'm fairly certain he has no idea how an offense should look, function, practice, train, scheme, and play. That's not a head coach I'm sorry. It's a shift supervisor who is good at managing one unit, not the whole team. NEXT

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

A lot of truth to how the offense has been constructed + mismanaged etc.

However, I could sympathize more with Coach Saleh if we had a good and functioning run game and OL and I'll tell you why...

He wanted to bring the "Shanahan Offense" to the Jets, his words. That offense is predicated on the run game and zone blocking and it's been a disaster. The Garropolo years where he was hurt for long stretches or entire years in SF, the 49ers were still able to run the ball and put up some points.

This guy has absolutely no idea how to install this or any offense. Okay fine CEO-TYPE don't need to be experts in every facet but THEY HAVE TO HIRE WELL then. I tell my managers all the time, you don't have to do every piece of work done for your team but you need to make sure it gets done correctly.

Oversight...he has none because I'm fairly certain he has no idea how an offense should look, function, practice, train, scheme, and play. That's not a head coach I'm sorry. It's a shift supervisor who is good at managing one unit, not the whole team. NEXT

i get all that but the GM buys the groceries the HC cooks the meal 

we're sitting here with 75 mil left on the Aaron Rodgers contract and the hope he's gonna be as good as Baker Mayfield 

we have Zach a former 2 pick that is shooting his way out of town except no one wants him 

Saleh will get fired the same as Joe Douglas but at least Saleh built a defense and has the respect of players like QW. Joe Douglas is just a joke finding OL and QB for that offense. Even if we forgive the Qb stuff as bad luck the amount of resources Joe has pumped into a bottom 5 line is laughable 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I think you have to fire Saleh precisely because he hasn’t brought Woody to heel and Douglas—wimp that he is—has hung Saleh out to dry at every turn. 

There is one thing that might be a silver lining in this thing.  All the Rodgers hires have blown donkeys.  That should allow us to ignore at least some of his nonsense going forward.  Lazard sucked.  Cobb sucked.  Turner sucked.  Cook sucked.  Hackett sucked. 

They had their little honeymoon period where Mr. Man got to ask for whatever he wanted.  It didn't work.  Now they had better ignore him.  Sure they can throw him a bone and sign Cobb to the vet min or draft a 7th that he approves of, but they can't turn everything over to him and every last ******* one of them had better understand that.  This ****sucker was even worse with personnel that that fat **** Parcells. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

we're sitting here with 75 mil left on the Aaron Rodgers contract and the hope he's gonna be as good as Baker Mayfield 

we have Zach a former 2 pick that is shooting his way out of town except no one wants him 

Saleh will get fired the same as Joe Douglas but at least Saleh built a defense and has the respect of players like QW. Joe Douglas is just a joke finding OL and QB for that offense. Even if we forgive the Qb stuff as bad luck the amount of resources Joe has pumped into a bottom 5 line is laughable 

I'm not big on excuses, however....the worst hand that Saleh has been dealt was the tragic death of Gregg Knapp. He was really going to be the head coach of the offense + knew the system inside and out + was not ever going to be a head coach candidate and would have groomed not only the offensive players but the offensive coaches as well.

In that sense, I will give Saleh credit for bringing Knapp on board. He had the right idea.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I'm not big on excuses, however....the worst hand that Saleh has been dealt was the tragic death of Gregg Knapp. He was really going to be the head coach of the offense + knew the system inside and out + was not ever going to be a head coach candidate and would have groomed not only the offensive players but the offensive coaches as well.

In that sense, I will give Saleh credit for bringing Knapp on board. He had the right idea.

I get that Knapp was supposed to be the experienced guy in the room and losing him was a tragedy, but I think we give way too much leeway over losing him.  It was almost three years ago and they have made some attempts to replace him.  Cavanaugh for starters.  Knapp being the HC of the offense and knowing the system did not necessarily result in him having great success elsewhere.  It's not like he had some kind of magic touch for offense.   He might have stabilized the relationship with LaFleur, but I doubt he would have added much last season.

41 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get that Knapp was supposed to be the experienced guy in the room and losing him was a tragedy, but I think we give way too much leeway over losing him.  It was almost three years ago and they have made some attempts to replace him.  Cavanaugh for starters.  Knapp being the HC of the offense and knowing the system did not necessarily result in him having great success elsewhere.  It's not like he had some kind of magic touch for offense.   He might have stabilized the relationship with LaFleur, but I doubt he would have added much last season.

I think everyone's development would have looked better (players and coaches). Saleh a first time HC, MLF was a first time OC, Calabrese a first time whatever he is, a (then) rookie QB. This staff and team needed veteran leadership on the offense. I'm not saying we would have been The Greatest Show on Turf but I don't think we would have looked so inept that's for sure.

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think everyone's development would have looked better (players and coaches). Saleh a first time HC, MLF was a first time OC, Calabrese a first time whatever he is, a (then) rookie QB. This staff and team needed veteran leadership on the offense. I'm not saying we would have been The Greatest Show on Turf but I don't think we would have looked so inept that's for sure.

I'm not so sure.  I think they looked inept because Wilson is inept.  They didn't look so inept with White or even Flacco and Johnson.  I do think that Knapp could have reduced a bunch of the circus stuff, like Wilson forcing LaFleur to stay on the field instead of the booth, hiring John Beck, and presumably a bunch of the communication nonsense with LaFleur that supposedly got him fired

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

While I agree that JD very much deserves his fair share of blame for the O-Line issues, I think a big reason they've performed poorly is due to the horrific QB situation. I don't think it's just a coincidence that the line suddenly played better when Trevor Siemian became the starter. Despite his obvious physical flaws, he has the brain of a professional QB. He understands how to adjust protections up front.

I think many of us (myself included) underestimate how badly Zach Wilson hurt this football team. It goes beyond running backwards and throwing passes at his receivers' feet. Way beyond. 

And FWIW, JD deserves all of the blame in the world for drafting Zach, no matter how much they are scapegoating Rex Hogan.

• Upvote 3

My personal theory is that, at least in the first year, Woody to be honorable kept paying Knapp’s family.  He is still on the website.  But that was the coaching budget.  So there was no spend to hire anyone else.  Assistant’s basically sign two year contracts.  

And that was basically Saleh’s offensive connections, that were available.  Hackett got hired by the Broncos…to attract Aaron Rodgers.  Why would the Broncos do that-they are another Nepobaby team.  Don’t tell me that they one of the AFC’s best franchises-the Bohlens sold to the Waltons.  They are now run by the kids of Sam Walton.  

And why is Nate Hackett such a good candidate to be offensive coordinator?  Because the Broncos are still paying him.   The Jets only have to pay him the bear minimum.  

• Upvote 1