Soccer Is A Real Sport

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Only 95 percent of the world.  The other 5 percent like American football. 

Don't care what they like. If it gets us a grass field that keeps our players stop exploding stuff and going out on IR?  I'm a fan.*

*providing not required to watch 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

13 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah this is all because of the bajillions of people who have entered this country who love Soccer since 2008.

Pre 2008 was not that big a deal here.

In the 80’s old giants stadium was sold out to 80k for every home game

pele and Giorgio were huge stars

surrounding towns including Newark Patterson Passaic care more about soccer than football

• Upvote 2

Sadly since then, they've watered it down immensely. 24 teams expanding to 48 in 2026 kind of makes all group games pointless.

I'm hoping we get some good matchups at Metlife, would be cool to watch a meaningful WC game there.
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict the final that's being played there will be pretty meaningful
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Trotter said:

In the 80’s old giants stadium was sold out to 80k for every home game

pele and Giorgio were huge stars

surrounding towns including Newark Patterson Passaic care more about soccer than football

Soccer has always came and gone in waves in the US. Until the United States gets a team in the Premier League it whatever, it will always be on the periphery of the major 4. In terms of participation, football and basketball will always be way ahead. They’re just funner games to play. 

4 hours ago, Bugg said:

Can barely spell the name of this place, and I have to transfer here? Did you NJ MFers make up the name of this town? Don't go blaming the Indians .

What the hell year do you think it is, man? No one uses that term anymore, because they were never really of India. They're the Guardians now. From Guardia, probably. Anyway get with the times. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Soccer has always came and gone in waves in the US. Until the United States gets a team in the Premier League it whatever, it will always be on the periphery of the major 4. In terms of participation, football and basketball will always be way ahead. They’re just funner games to play. 

True.

What i find interesting is in the pre grade school and grade school years, it appears soccer is much more popular then baseball Maybe more kids are able to participate etc.

Once high school comes along soccer for the most part hits a wall. Now of course there are exceptions, but nationally i think it tails off.

3 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

I'd go to the WC just to see the female fans, particularly if Brazil, Columbia, or Argentina are playing. 

Now this is a smart man right here.  I don’t watch soccer but when I do those Brazil girls really know how to fill out a shirt and pants.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah this is all because of the bajillions of people who have entered this country who love Soccer since 2008.

Pre 2008 was not that big a deal here.

Comments on your statement could violate board rules.  

Other possibilities could be that a whole lot of American Gen X and Millennials played as kids and teens who are now raising their kids to play also.  Two generations of people that FULLY understand and appreciate the elegance of the sport.   The insane popularity of the FIFA video game.  MLS’ expansion across the country.  The fact that American players are earning significant minutes and/or succeeding with some of the best clubs in the world abroad.  The USWNT failed miserably at the recent World Cup, but they draw interest from women, girls, men and boys.  

Shall I go on?

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Damn it Barry I was going to post this so I could title is "soccer it's a real sport", followed by a post that started with no just kidding but they do have higher play injury prevention standard than the NFL.

Please update the title post accordingly 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Other possibilities could be that a whole lot of American Gen X and Millennials played as kids and teens who are now raising their kids to play also.  Two generations of people that FULLY understand and appreciate the elegance of the sport.   The insane popularity of the FIFA video game.  MLS’ expansion across the country.  The fact that American players are earning significant minutes and/or succeeding with some of the best clubs in the world abroad.  The USWNT failed miserably at the recent World Cup, but they draw interest from women, girls, men and boys.  

Shall I go on?

When the US is actually good at it let me know and then you can “go on”

And I mean Men.  I have zero interest in Women sports just like my wife has zero interest in Men’s sports.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Shall I go on?

I think until a US team wins or finishes as a runner up in the World Cup… or if a Premier League team comes to the US, it was always be on the periphery. Even then I’m not sure. Messi coming to Florida has been a big deal I will say. 

22 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

And I mean Men.  I have zero interest in Women sports just like my wife has zero interest in Men’s sports.

Too bad. The women’s game is great fun. The American fans are awesome, as are others’ countries fans. Civilized and sophisticated, no meat head BS.

Had a complete blast attending most of the WWC 2019 in France. American pregame events were fantastic, like one huge party. Everyone was in such a festive mood, many people dressed up in various American-centric get ups. Marched to the matches through French cities including Paris while chanting. Epic experience. I made it on TV during the Final while my family watched from back in the States. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

How is that going to work when you replace JD after next year?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Every World Cup a bunch of assh0les tell me about how big soccer is getting in America.

And then as soon as its over, I hear these same people say dick about soccer for another 4 years.

It’s a Woman’s sport in this country.

For the time being.

I wouldn’t be shocked if the Men do finally catch up to the rest of the world just like they did in Hockey.

Haven’t seen it yet.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

It’s a Woman’s sport in this country.

For the time being.

I wouldn’t be shocked if the Men do finally catch up to the rest of the world just like they did in Hockey.

Haven’t seen it yet.

I think it will as it all good produce starts from the farm. The kids are playing soccer now at a higher rate and with the concussion and injury concerns with American Football (shh....there is a concussion problem with soccer too but no one wants to talk about that yet apparently) kids are being swayed away from football.

I think in the next 20 years soccer will be one a lot more popular here.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It's definitely a real sport.  It just happens to suck.

Soccer is as boring to watch as golf.  Non stop running up and down back and forth. How these guys don’t just drop is beyond me. Albeit, I’ve never played it other than on the PlayStation platforms. Super fun!