Hardman was one of many

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I get your point but there isn’t a single notable player on that list we should have serious regrets about. Bunch of jags — Morgan Moses we should have kept, probably, the rest?

All of these players playef better last year than players on the roster.  

these are offensive players.  The offensive coaches are just terrible. 

16 hours ago, AFJF said:

Mecole Hardman scoring the GW TD in the SB perfectly encapsulates what has been going on for the Jets on offense (and ST?) for a couple years now and it's pretty frustrating.

George Fant: Would have been the best OT on the roster this year and played better in Houston than he did here over his past couple of seasons.  He left and got better.

Elijah Moore: Career high in yards despite four different QB's.  Couldn't get a target here.  He left and got better.

Morgan Moses: Lowest PFF grade over his past four seasons came in 2021 when he was a Jet.  He was better before he got here and better after he left.

Michael Carter: Perfectly fine RB who will get you better than 4+ ypc.  As expected, played better after leaving while Dalvin Cook continued to stink it up.

Greg Van Roten: Have heard at least three people (two Raiders reporters and one national) talk about how surprisingly good he was this year in Vegas with one saying he may have been their best OL this year.  Left here...played better.

Braden Mann: Couldn't keep the ball in bounds as a Jet and then ranks 8th in the NFL among punters the year after leaving.  Ranked sixth in the NFL with a net avg of 43.9.  Left and got better.

I really can't wait for them to move on from this coaching staff.

Fant?? He had the best season of his career here, while blocking for a rookie bust with no pocket awareness.

The year before he signed with the Jets, he couldn’t beat out 4th year bust Ifedi for the starting RT job in Seattle. Further note after that year Ifedi had to make a position change under a chump change contract with the Bears because he was so bad at tackle. 

His 3rd season here he was injured most of the year, and would only sign elsewhere in ‘23 because he was (understandably) bitter he didn’t get a Jets extension with a big pay raise into the $15-20MM/yr range to cash in on that ‘21 season. They didn’t “let” him go; he hated the jets for not paying him like a borderline pro bowler before his walk year, which was correct even in hindsight.

Houston signed him as camp started - on July 28th - because all offseason no one else wanted Fant to start for them either. He was better when healthy than when he was injured — stop the presses!

Outside of the couple very best of each, kickers and punters pretty commonly have good seasons followed by bad seasons and vice versa. As likely as not, Mann will have a meh season again next year. 

Moore wasn’t let go because they were blind to his ability. They traded him because he’s a douchebag whose play didn’t (and still doesn’t) back up his mouth. The mistake was drafting him in the first place.

His buddy Carter hasn’t looked good since his promising rookie season when he was a tackle breaking machine. Ultimately let him go because of the stupid Cook signing combined with Abanikanda justifying more playing time. Truth is there weren’t enough footballs to go around. It’s a good thing when the team has enough depth at a position they can let someone like him go. Assuming they stay healthy, I’m happy with Breece and Abanikanda as the 1-2 punch.

Moses was just ok here. Nothing great, but whatever to his PFF grade that’s badly impacted by a crap QB since they don’t measure how long he has to hold his blocks when grading pressure. They didn’t re-sign him because Fant was coming off a far better season and they were only in a position to bring back one of them. At the time, Becton’s missed 2nd season was from a fluke injury & of course they didn’t realize he’d miss the entire following season or they’d have re-signed Fant. But he wasn’t signing here unless the Jets guaranteed him the starting RT job, meaning cut Fant or relegate 1st round pick Becton to the bench sheet playing one season, for a tackle who didn’t get much interest after signing with the Jets to be the backup RT the summer before. Sometimes, it’s just unfortunate timing and there has to be an odd man out, looking only worse still because Becton and Fant were injured the following season.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I get your point but there isn’t a single notable player on that list we should have serious regrets about. Bunch of jags — Morgan Moses we should have kept, probably, the rest?

I have serious regrets about the players we kept.

• Haha 1

lol, feel bad for some of you guys. Hardman had a nice game in the super bowl but are you going to pretend that the 2 fumbles in the bills game didnt happen? in the other two playoff games, he had 4 targets with 2 catches for 5 yards / 2 rushing attempts for -5 yards. He also had just 9 catches for 41 yards, 1 fumble, and 1 carry for 3 yards in the 4 games where the starters were playing once he joined KC. Hardman caught one bomb and then got targeted for the game winning catch because andy reid is smart and went to a player that the 49ers would assume wouldn't be targeted. He didn't make some outstanding game winning catch. He ran a route that any small / shifty WR could have ran and was wide open for a very easy catch.

I wont break down every player you mentioned but none of the guys mentioned here are anything other than low end starters or middling back up players, which is what the jets had to field anyways. None of those guys could have saved the jets in 2023.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

True.  But you have to admit the irony is pretty incredible.  Jets couldn't find a way to use him on a team lacking WR talent.  Kansas City uses him to win the Super Bowl on a team full of Pro Bowlers.

Eh, KC has pro bowlers, but none at WR. Their WRs suck, which is why they were interested in bringing him back in the first place

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, extmenace said:

lol, feel bad for some of you guys. Hardman had a nice game in the super bowl but are you going to pretend that the 2 fumbles in the bills game didnt happen? in the other two playoff games, he had 4 targets with 2 catches for 5 yards / 2 rushing attempts for -5 yards. He also had just 9 catches for 41 yards, 1 fumble, and 1 carry for 3 yards in the 4 games where the starters were playing once he joined KC. Hardman caught one bomb and then got targeted for the game winning catch because andy reid is smart and went to a player that the 49ers would assume wouldn't be targeted. He didn't make some outstanding game winning catch. He ran a route that any small / shifty WR could have ran and was wide open for a very easy catch.

I wont break down every player you mentioned but none of the guys mentioned here are anything other than low end starters or middling back up players, which is what the jets had to field anyways. None of those guys could have saved the jets in 2023.  

You (and many others) are missing the point.

It's cool though.  Hardman sucks so the Jets have nothing to worry about when it comes to getting the most out of their talent.

New unis are gonna be straight 🔥 🔥 🔥

43 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You (and many others) are missing the point.

It's cool though.  Hardman sucks so the Jets have nothing to worry about when it comes to getting the most out of their talent.

New unis are gonna be straight 🔥 🔥 🔥

So the coaching staff does not deserve any credit for developing Quincy Williams, Ashtyn Davis, Jermain Johnson, Michael Carter, etc? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

So the coaching staff does not deserve any credit for developing Quincy Williams, Ashtyn Davis, Jermain Johnson, Michael Carter, etc? 

What do all of those guys have in common?

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

14 catches for 119 yards. in 11 games. Wow! I'll start on his bust for Canton. 

You, and many others, are completely missing the point.

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

Right, nobody is saying these guys are irreplaceable.  Only that they all played better after escaping 1 Jets Dr.  That speaks to the horrendous coaching.

And after watching Moore put up respectable numbers with 4 bad QB's I think it would be foolish to write him off.

How many NFL games has he played with an average to above average QB under center?  

You won’t get an argument from me about this offensive coaching staff being any good, but I think Moore, specifically, kinda is what he is. Even when Cooper was out and they were desperate for someone to step up, they went to Njoku. His best career game came with Flacco against the Dolphins, and then this past season when Flacco was trolling the Jets in that late season beatdown by the Browns. I’d be surprised if the Browns re-signed him after next year. He’s a very, very low-end #2 receiver who should probably be slot-only if he wants to stick around. Sort of a new-age Jamison Crowder.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

Incorrect.  That's just the way you're choosing to view it.

The point of the post was to show what a poor job the Jets coaching staff has done in developing or finding use for the talent on the roster.

So this is speaking to the Jets current coaching staff which will be responsible for developing the incoming crop of draft picks and free agents.

The sooner they go, the better off this team will be.

funny you only mentioned offensive guys. oh thats right cause everyone not on offense played pretty good.

Zach was the problem. the QB effects all the offensive players and he was the worst in the NFL for 3 years.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, doitny said:

funny you only mentioned offensive guys. oh thats right cause everyone not on offense played pretty good.

Zach was the problem. the QB effects all the offensive players and he was the worst in the NFL for 3 years.

Wow.  You almost got the point.

Give the man half a cigar.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You won’t get an argument from me about this offensive coaching staff being any good, but I think Moore, specifically, kinda is what he is. Even when Cooper was out and they were desperate for someone to step up, they went to Njoku. His best career game came with Flacco against the Dolphins, and then this past season when Flacco was trolling the Jets in that late season beatdown by the Browns. I’d be surprised if the Browns re-signed him after next year. He’s a very, very low-end #2 receiver who should probably be slot-only if he wants to stick around. Sort of a new-age Jamison Crowder.

I'd give him another year to see what he can do without a trash QB under center.

And even if he's "just" a 700-800 yd per year guy, it tells you he's good enough to deserve a target or two every now and then.

Jets coaches disagreed used him as an orbit motion decoy.

On 2/14/2024 at 3:34 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

I mean, I get your point but Hardman basically did nothing all season and happened to be the guy who caught the TD to win the Superbowl. 

Hardman didn't do "nothing" per se. After all, he did fumble the football into the endzone giving the Bills the ball in the AFC Championship game. That's something.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

You, and many others, are completely missing the point.

There is no point. A mediocre WR went from one team who had no use for him to another team that had no use for him. He was inactive or didn't play much after he was traded. Also, he caught the game winning TD in the Super Bowl.

Nick Bawden once scored a TD. 

47 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

There is no point. A mediocre WR went from one team who had no use for him to another team that had no use for him. He was inactive or didn't play much after he was traded. Also, he caught the game winning TD in the Super Bowl.

Further proof you're missing it.  By a lot.  Possibly more than anyone else in the thread.

On 2/14/2024 at 3:14 PM, AFJF said:

Mecole Hardman scoring the GW TD in the SB perfectly encapsulates what has been going on for the Jets on offense (and ST?) for a couple years now and it's pretty frustrating.

A mediocre WR plays slightly better with a hall of fame QB encapsulates what has been going on for the Jets offense? I got your point, but your point isn't a good one.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Scrubs sometimes make big plays in the playoffs it happens.  David Tyree effect

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yea, Moore hasn’t been anywhere near as good as I thought he’d be 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, y2k8 said:

They definitely do, but notice that every single one of the guys you mentioned plays defense. 

our offensive coaching/player development has been dreadful. 

30 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

They definitely do, but notice that every single one of the guys you mentioned plays defense. 

our offensive coaching/player development has been dreadful. 

Don't disagree, development on the D side is light years ahead of the O. 

Only guys on O you can say has been developed into a meaningful contributor are Tipman & Gipson. How much of that was coaching? Hard to say since they were rookies. 

• Upvote 1