CJ Mosley

I was not an advocate for him to return at his bloated salary, but by all accounts, he had a solid year at his position.

So, how long do we plan to keep him around, because he isn't going out there at $17,000,000 in New Money again this year.

This year and 2 more at a high level?  Perhaps a 2 year extension with 2 void years?  $15,000,000 signing bonus to greatly reduce his cap number, but kick the can down the road?

Try and trade him, save $11 Million against the cap?  Who do you replace him with?

Cut him, post June 1, Save $16 million against the cap, but again, replace him with who?

Is his replacement already on the roster?  Do we have a leader in the winds?

Offseason starts at the bank of Mosley.

Edit: I search for a thread but couldn't find a topic.  If there is one, please merge.

• Upvote 3

I don’t think Sherwood or Chazz can do his job.   

I think they can pay someone $6-8mm in FA to do his job as well or better.  Theoretically.  If they could get someone to join this team.  

I think this requires a man to man chat.  

1 hour ago, hawk said:

I was not an advocate for him to return at his bloated salary, but by all accounts, he had a solid year at his position.

So, how long do we plan to keep him around, because he isn't going out there at $17,000,000 in New Money again this year.

This year and 2 more at a high level?  Perhaps a 2 year extension with 2 void years?  $15,000,000 signing bonus to greatly reduce his cap number, but kick the can down the road?

Try and trade him, save $11 Million against the cap?  Who do you replace him with?

Cut him, post June 1, Save $16 million against the cap, but again, replace him with who?

Edit: I search for a thread but couldn't find a topic.  If there is one, please merge.

I think Barnes will eventually be his replacement

• Upvote 1

Gotta think Saleh wants him and probably Rodgers too. He refused to take a paycut last season.  Probably going to roll as is one more season.  It’s possible that he takes a paycut but not very likely unfortunately 

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He should be cut 100% for sure.  (Post June 1st is most beneficial I think?)

Grossly over paid for doing one thing, making tackles which is the easiest thing in the NFL to find ILBs that just make tackles.  You can replace ILB tacklers with late round picks or really cheap vet FA's.

As for 'oh no! leadership!'  a week after he is gone we will have a new defensive leader.

That money should be put towards the offense or if not that, then towards retaining Bryce Huff.

And no restructuring is not a good idea.  Restructuring contracts on easily replaced players or bad players is plain stupid.

But that is what will happen, Douglas will restructure guys like Mosley (easily replaced) and Lazard (flat put sucks)

I love Mosley the player just like I loved Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis back in the day.  Unfortunately our emotions kicked in and we resigned both of them with all of the same things we are currently saying about Mosley at the same age they were.  We lost a young up and comer in James Farrior because we did not have the money.   Well we are here again and while this is a new general manager and we are using different names, the circumstances are the same.  We have the ability to retain a young up and comer in Bryce Huff.  We should and just say thank you to Mosely. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He has no trade value.

Solution = cut him and replace him with another player.

Leader is not a position. The reason his gooey, creamy leadershipness counts more than it should, on this team, is Saleh is a weak leader himself. It's so inauthentically cringy when you just hear him utter an f-bomb for supposed weight/effect.

That's not a reason to keep a meh player at $17MM. 

You have obviously not played the sport. Rodgers has expressed many times that he loves CJ Mosley and trusts him to lead the defense on the field. I can’t see Aaron signing off on this. 

25 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

I love Mosley the player just like I loved Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis back in the day.  Unfortunately our emotions kicked in and we resigned both of them with all of the same things we are currently saying about Mosley at the same age they were.  We lost a young up and comer in James Farrior because we did not have the money.   Well we are here again and while this is a new general manager and we are using different names, the circumstances are the same.  We have the ability to retain a young up and comer in Bryce Huff.  We should and just say thank you to Mosely. 

They lost Farrior because he accepted a contract for less money to play for the Steelers instead of the Jets' offer.

Mosley is owed no thank-you's by anybody. He's been paid in full and then some. My emotion was to cut him as soon as the preposterous $51MM guarantee was up. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He should be cut 100% for sure.  (Post June 1st is most beneficial I think?)

Grossly over paid for doing one thing, making tackles which is the easiest thing in the NFL to find ILBs that just make tackles.  You can replace ILB tacklers with late round picks or really cheap vet FA's.

As for 'oh no! leadership!'  a week after he is gone we will have a new defensive leader.

That money should be put towards the offense or if not that, then towards retaining Bryce Huff.

And no restructuring is not a good idea.  Restructuring contracts on easily replaced players or bad players is plain stupid.

But that is what will happen, Douglas will restructure guys like Mosley (easily replaced) and Lazard (flat put sucks)

His leadership is worth something, especially in a do or die year for the staff and front office. In a situation where everyone is secure, i think its easier to cut him...but in this one, im not so sure. With a 16 mill cap savings if he's cut, the jets do have some leverage as there is little to no chance he'll get that kind of money from a new team. A pay cut could be possible if mosely can make a little above what he projects to get somewhere else. 

Huff is gone, he's going to test free agency, and someone will pay him based on what they think he can do on a higher snap count. You don't spend back to back first rounders on DE's and then pay a vet 20mill a year when you have guys working on rookie contracts. If they resign huff, the McDonald pick makes absolutely no sense.

• Thumb Down 1

Aaron Rodgers signed off on contracts for Lazard, Cook, Hardman, Turner, etc.
I care not which players Rodgers loves, let alone which player he trusts on the other side of the ball outright.
His job is to play QB with the players the GM signs. 
Mosley is the most overrated defender in the NFL now that he's overtaken Jamal Adams for being the fraud he was and is.
I love your posts but I can't agree with you including Lazard in this group. Lazard was signed almost 2 months before Rodgers was traded here. I can't see any scenario where the Jets went to a player under contract with another team and asked him if it was ok to sign a FA. I believe the Jets felt Lazard was the best FA WR and him having a history with Rodgers was just an added bonus.
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Viermoo said:

He may not be worth $15 million but he is a lot better of a player than many in this board give him credit for.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He is good at making tackles behind a Dline that keeps things fairly clean.

(A skill you can insert just about any ilb into)

The jets hardly ever blitz, and he is not a great blitzer.

He cannot pass cover at all.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, Biggs said:
I think Rodgers will keep him.

Did Rodgers cough COVID onto a relative of yours? I'm really starting to wonder.

I don't care about you being a Rodger's sycophant?  Keep politics out of it.

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:
5 minutes ago, Biggs said:
I don't care about you being a Rodger's sycophant?  Keep politics out of it.

How is this political?

Stay off the vacine topic.  I'm not a mod but you will get banned.  A little friendly advice.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He has no trade value.

Solution = cut him and replace him with another player.

Leader is not a position. The reason his gooey, creamy leadershipness counts more than it should, on this team, is Saleh is a weak leader himself. It's so inauthentically cringy when you just hear him utter an f-bomb for supposed weight/effect.

That's not a reason to keep a meh player at $17MM. 

How about a pay cut to 7.7 MM and gets his mouth washed out with soap.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:
Aaron Rodgers signed off on contracts for Lazard, Cook, Hardman, Turner, etc.
I care not which players Rodgers loves, let alone which player he trusts on the other side of the ball outright.
His job is to play QB with the players the GM signs. 
Mosley is the most overrated defender in the NFL now that he's overtaken Jamal Adams for being the fraud he was and is.

I love your posts but I can't agree with you including Lazard in this group. Lazard was signed almost 2 months before Rodgers was traded here. I can't see any scenario where the Jets went to a player under contract with another team and asked him if it was ok to sign a FA. I believe the Jets felt Lazard was the best FA WR and him having a history with Rodgers was just an added bonus.

Lazard was signed because they knew they were signing Rodgers, just like signing Hackett was also for Rodgers. All those Jets additions were for Rodgers. They all met with Rodgers in California before the 2023 FA period began.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, hawk said:

He gives money back or he can move on.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lazard was signed because they knew they were signing Rodgers, just like signing Hackett was also for Rodgers. All those Jets additions were for Rodgers. They all met with Rodgers in California before the 2023 FA period began.

I'm not buying it when it comes to Lazard.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, Biggs said:
Stay off the vacine topic.  I'm not a mod but you will get banned.  A little friendly advice.

That's sad. Rodgers stance on the vaccine has absolutely NOTHING to do with politics. Zero.

I got a downvote! Yay!

4 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I'm not buying it.

You're buying that, independent of signing Aaron Rodgers, the Jets who already had their #1 and #2 WRs in place were all-in on signing Allen Lazard as their WR3? You think that seems more plausible than discussing with Rodgers (on March 7th) the upcoming FAs they might sign in the upcoming 10 days, including his former teammates?

Seems a lot more implausible the way you describe, that it was 100% coincidence the Jets signed Lazard when they did. They couldn't wait for the trade to officially go through, in terms of signing Lazard, because unlike the others - Cobb + Turner in particular - there was a danger of him signing elsewhere, which may have made Rodgers less enthused about pushing for a trade specifically to the Jets.

There were hints from I think Hughes or Cimini that Rodgers was going to take a pay cut right after the trade was official (something to the effect of, "Wait until you see the deal you're not going to believe it!"). In exchange for that pay cut, they sign some guys Rodgers is familiar with; no doing that and maybe there's no give-back by Rodgers on his contract. So net, a player like Lazard only cost the roster spot; the money came from Rodgers. I find it very hard to believe zero of it came up while trying to entice Rodgers to show extreme interest in the Jets.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

How about a pay cut to 7.7 MM and gets his mouth washed out with soap.

How about a pay cut to $2.7MM so he's not making a must-start salary over anyone else they add? 

Joking aside, he's not taking a big pay cut from the Jets; he'd rather shop himself around as a FA.

So if they do get him to take a pay haircut it'll just be a barely-noticeable trim on his red dreads; not buzzing it all down to stubble.

4 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

We have the ability to retain a young up and comer in Bryce Huff.  We should and just say thank you to Mosely. 

This right here...between Huff or Mosley right now I clearly pick Huff. Nothing against Mosely as he is a solid player but he makes too much with little impact.

• Upvote 1