CJ Mosley

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:
3 hours ago, Biggs said:
I think Rodgers will keep him.

Did Rodgers cough COVID onto a relative of yours? I'm really starting to wonder.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I don't care about you being a Rodger's sycophant?  Keep politics out of it.

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, Biggs said:
I don't care about you being a Rodger's sycophant?  Keep politics out of it.

How is this political?

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Stay off the vacine topic.  I'm not a mod but you will get banned.  A little friendly advice.

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, Biggs said:
Stay off the vacine topic.  I'm not a mod but you will get banned.  A little friendly advice.

That's sad. Rodgers stance on the vaccine has absolutely NOTHING to do with politics. Zero.

Typically it's not that any of that actually IS politics but the word Covid always results in political comments within half dozen posts. Better off just avoiding it all together. Thanks guys. Love you. 

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:
He's been a rock solid pro through these last few turbulent years, give him his due... 
https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-jets/jets-c-j-mosley-is-ready-for-a-super-bowl-push-in-2024/

He the 3rd highest paid linebacker in the NFL. You should expect more than "rock solid."

To sign the players that the Jets will need to compete next season, and the draft picks without 2, they will need at least $30mm of extra cap space. 

The logical place to take it from is players who are overpaid.  Mosley has to give up something, or leave. 

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He has no trade value.

Solution = cut him and replace him with another player.

Leader is not a position. The reason his gooey, creamy leadershipness counts more than it should, on this team, is Saleh is a weak leader himself. It's so inauthentically cringy when you just hear him utter an f-bomb for supposed weight/effect.

That's not a reason to keep a meh player at $17MM. 

It's even less of a reason to keep the cringe coach around.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

What are the Jets waiting for with Mosley?  My assumption is their plan in free agency, and seeing who they can sign before cutting Mosley.

From what I can tell, there is no discussions regarding a pay cut or restructure.

There is no way he hits the field with a $17 Million dollar Base Salary of New Money.

Who could their Target be in Free Agency?

Patrick Queen as a Young Up and Comer, or a willy Veteran like Bobby Wagner?

Is there a target in the Draft, and would you wait that long with do much Cap wrapped up in Mosley?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, hawk said:

What are the Jets waiting for with Mosley?  My assumption is their plan in free agency, and seeing who they can sign before cutting Mosley.

From what I can tell, there is no discussions regarding a pay cut or restructure.

There is no way he hits the field with a $17 Million dollar Base Salary of New Money.

Is there a target in the Draft, and would you wait that long with do much Cap wrapped up in Mosley?

If they could get back into the 2 nd rd, Payton Eilson from NC St would look great in Green and White.😎

Just now, section314 said:

If they could get back into the 2 nd rd, Payton Eilson from NC St would look great in Green and White.😎

Do you bank on getting him, tying up much need cash for free agency?

42 minutes ago, hawk said:

Good time to follow up on this.  Was thinking the same thing ..

As @Warfish wrote the other day, there is a big difference between what the Jets should do and what the Jets actually do.

Smart teams move on from aging, overpaid players at non premium positions.  Just look at the safety market.  Or they negotiate pay cuts that bring back in line with the market.

JD and Saleh have been a horrible combo when it comes to these decisions.

CJ no longer has the ability to quickly close on the ball, making him a liability which we often see on third down (where the Jets were poor).

I personally expect CJ to take a $7M pay cut down to $10M salary.  His agent knows he isn’t getting more than that in the market.

But my confidence in this is much lower than the slam dunk it (or release if he rejects it) should be.  And that’s an indictment on this regime.

As for his replacement should he be released (post June 1 designation), allocate $5M to a vet or up & coming free agent … still saving $11M net salary cap that can go to OL or WR.

First 4 rounds of the draft go to Offense.  Later rounds go to Defensive depth after signing an economical fat run stuffer DT in free agency and bringing back Ashtyn Davis & Clark at Safety.

On 2/22/2024 at 12:13 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

How about a pay cut to $2.7MM so he's not making a must-start salary over anyone else they add? 

Joking aside, he's not taking a big pay cut from the Jets; he'd rather shop himself around as a FA.

So if they do get him to take a pay haircut it'll just be a barely-noticeable trim on his red dreads; not buzzing it all down to stubble.

Mosley’s dreads are extensions, not real — he wouldn’t need to cut his hair. Thus, I think he’d take something in the 8-10M range.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

He acknowledged last year his reps were talking to the Jets about a pay cut. Obviously never happened.  

if he doesn’t agree to a paycut they should cut him. 

It was an empty threat when those discussions began in the late spring if not early summer after all the FAs and draft picks are already on other teams.

He and his $17MM should've been cut in March last year in favor of UFA Bobby Wagner -- a superior (or at worst, a no worse) player who signed with Seattle for just $5.5MM.

• Upvote 2

where do y’all plan on replacing 150+ tackles?  out of thin air?  the dude has been a machine the last 3 years for this defense.  a well respected leader - you don’t just replace that.  would hope there’s a restructure instead of an outright cut - if he’s gone that’s a giant issue for the defense.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, heymangold said:

where do y’all plan on replacing 150+ tackles?  out of thin air?  the dude has been a machine the last 3 years for this defense.  a well respected leader - you don’t just replace that.  would hope there’s a restructure instead of an outright cut - if he’s gone that’s a giant issue for the defense.

Yes, you do just replace that. His tackles aren't impact plays (or anyway, it's a rarity when they are), and it's a function of him being on the field, playing MLB, more than just having a nose for ballcarriers. 

He's preposterously overrated. It won't be a giant issue at all to replace him. He'd already regressed to no longer being the team's best starting LB, and he's getting worse not better each year. 

I hope he's cut, not restructured.

• Sympathy 1

On 2/21/2024 at 8:17 PM, hawk said:

I was not an advocate for him to return at his bloated salary, but by all accounts, he had a solid year at his position.

So, how long do we plan to keep him around, because he isn't going out there at $17,000,000 in New Money again this year.

This year and 2 more at a high level?  Perhaps a 2 year extension with 2 void years?  $15,000,000 signing bonus to greatly reduce his cap number, but kick the can down the road?

Try and trade him, save $11 Million against the cap?  Who do you replace him with?

Cut him, post June 1, Save $16 million against the cap, but again, replace him with who?

Is his replacement already on the roster?  Do we have a leader in the winds?

Offseason starts at the bank of Mosley.

Edit: I search for a thread but couldn't find a topic.  If there is one, please merge.

The gift that keeps on giving. Sure over paid, but really we have a lot of bigger and pressing roster issues. It's not nearly as bad as it was, he plays well and hard for us, who cares if he is a little over paid. No one to replace him at cost comes close. 

I like Mosely for the money, actually I think it's just so many FS guys that we over paid did absolutely nothing, while I still remember the buffalo game, so him producing makes me bias.

How bout we cut some bums like hazard, cobb, etc wtc

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes, you do just replace that. His tackles aren't impact plays (or anyway, it's a rarity when they are), and it's a function of him being on the field, playing MLB, more than just having a nose for ballcarriers. 

He's preposterously overrated. It won't be a giant issue at all to replace him. He'd already regressed to no longer being the team's best starting LB, and he's getting worse not better each year. 

I hope he's cut, not restructured.

The Bills and pass rusher Von Miller agreed to a renegotiated contract, per source. The deal has a base value of $8.855M in 2024, with the chance to make up to $20M with incentives (up from $17.5M under the old terms). The move saves Buffalo $8.645M in 2024 salary cap space.

On 2/22/2024 at 10:10 AM, bicketybam said:
On 2/22/2024 at 10:02 AM, Jetkwondo said:
He's been a rock solid pro through these last few turbulent years, give him his due... 
https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-jets/jets-c-j-mosley-is-ready-for-a-super-bowl-push-in-2024/

He the 3rd highest paid linebacker in the NFL. You should expect more than "rock solid."

he's got like the 7th most tackles in the league for the past 3 years

• Upvote 2