NFL Combine NEWS + Reports (JD Press conference)

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

IMO, all 3 should be there in the 2nd and 3rd... Re: Maye i say that because most QBs either go in the top 10, maybe 15  or not till the 2nd. Like either you're worth or you're not. I'm on the fence with Drake on whether he more than Trubisky/Pickett. 

But anyway Penix and McCarthy really should be day 2, and guys like Travis and Pratt in Day 3 is where we ought to finding a high ceiling name to develop. 

Unless mccarthy bombs the combine he’s going in the first round.  Penix, nix and pratt should all be day 2.  I’d be surprised if pratt lasts to round 4.

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Unless mccarthy bombs the combine he’s going in the first round.  Penix, nix and pratt should all be day 2.  I’d be surprised if pratt lasts to round 4.

Possibly, but McCarthy shouldn't be going in the first. He still has a little ways to go yet in developing, and didn't carry Michigan often in big games. There's worse gambles at the position for sure, but he doesn't deserve to go in the 1st IMO

Pratt will be there in round 4

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Possibly, but McCarthy shouldn't be going in the first. He still has a little ways to go yet in developing, and didn't carry Michigan often in big games. There's worse gambles at the position for sure, but he doesn't deserve to go in the 1st IMO

Pratt will be there in round 4

I’ll wait until after the combine, but I’d like to make a gentleman’s bet about this. 

6 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:
Imagine being that way

Yes! Use your imagination! I encourage this!

Currently using it to hypothesize how many user names you’ve had here. May need a calculator. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I’ll wait until after the combine, but I’d like to make a gentleman’s bet about this. 

sure -- and i say this being probably Pratt-to-the-Jets booster club card holder  #1, at worst #2. I think he's the guy for us... But acknowledging that he's a G5 QB with suspect arm stregnth/talent -- he's not getting picked over some of the WRs, the run at RB, and all the typical IOL/DBs that populate the back half of day 2

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

sure -- and i say this being probably Pratt-to-the-Jets booster club card holder  #1, at worst #2. I think he's the guy for us... But acknowledging that he's a G5 QB with suspect arm stregnth/talent -- he's not getting picked over some of the WRs, the run at RB, and all the typical IOL/DBs that populate the back half of day 2

Certainly possible, yet he’s exactly what the jets, and some other teams, need - a high floor, low ceiling qb who can play the position and come in and keep your team competitive.  The jets don’t take guys like this, they take the high ceiling low floor guys and wind up with zach wilson and James morgan - guys who have huge arms but no feel for the position. 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

idk if this was posted too?

More time wasted ammirite. 

It would be fantastic if woody and douglas go around saying how they want to fix the OL and then go into the draft and pull a stunner and trade for a qb.  I wouldn’t mind if they used next year’s 1 if they got a qb.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Certainly possible, yet he’s exactly what the jets, and some other teams, need - a high floor, low ceiling qb who can play the position and come in and keep your team competitive.  The jets don’t take guys like this, they take the high ceiling low floor guys and wind up with zach wilson and James morgan - guys who have huge arms but no feel for the position. 

Anything's possible if a team falls in love with someone... but usually if that's the case, they don't gamble past Round 2....

That's why day 2, particularly after Pick #45 is QB no-man's land. Maybe you don't love him enough to spend pick #9 on him, but you're definitely not letting him get past you in the top half of Round 2.

Otherwise, I believe most teams are comfortable following their draft boards based on grades which will be closer on day 3 guys. Jordan Travis for example, fits your high floor/low ceiling and will share a similar grade  

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

You're a bigger tank guy than I am, but I honestly am not that worried about it. My guess is that most people in these organizations have a natural aversion to losing on purpose, even if it would benefit some of them in the long run. 

Ask the numerous franchises over the years with FQBs taken picks 1-2 how they feel about those tank years though.  Even if they were somewhat accidental.

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I think they made that decision the moment they took Will Mcdonald. I know one could argue that was to move on from Lawson, but I think the prevailing thought was 1. they were contenders last year and wanted to be dominant with a lead 2. they want a stable of pass rushers who are fresh 3. Like RB, they take one more or less every year so they don't give big second contracts.

I think the difference is having a known commodity who's elite at a premium skill. That’s something you figure out how to make work, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

IMO, all 3 should be there in the 2nd and 3rd... Re: Maye i say that because most QBs either go in the top 10, maybe 15  or not till the 2nd. Like either you're worth or you're not. I'm on the fence with Drake on whether he is more than just another Trubisky/Pickett. 

But anyway Penix and McCarthy really should be day 2 names, and guys like Travis and Pratt in Day 3 is where we ought to find a high ceiling name to develop. 

I agree with the bolded, but Pats new regime is in for hell if they don’t take whichever of the three QBs is left at #3. They’ll cave to the public pressure or trade down to someone who is willing to come up and take Maye.

• Upvote 1

Just Cimini on Bart and Hahn. Said Minnesota may be a team to keep an eye on for Zach because they just hired McCown as QB coach. Cimini said McCown loved him that draft year and thought he was as good, if not better, than TL. Said any trade would probably be a day 3 deal, probably swapping picks.

10 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I agree with the bolded, but Pats new regime is in for hell if they don’t take whichever of the three QBs is left at #3. They’ll cave to the public pressure or trade down to someone who is willing to come up and take Maye.

There's a few pieces left to play out--

• new regime, so they're not necessary under fire at the moment. This is not a "good" QB class IMO. 
  • Mac Jones is the kind of QB that is barely good enough to start, but can't win a game for you. Drake might be that guy too, I think they'll be wary making the same mistake twice. 
  • Russ Wilson (for example) can be had. Might trade for him, and find the right guy next year if you don't love your options at #3 this year. 

I can see Bo Nix being a Patriot. Ew. 

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:
3 hours ago, Matt39 said:
Does Zach have a no trade clause?

Are you serious? He's on a rookie contract you clown.

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, Matt39 said:
oh wow thanks

No need to thank me. My work with the mentally challenged is thanks enough. Very rewarding.

Hope your inevitable banning was worth it, bickety.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

idk if this was posted too?

More time wasted ammirite. 

Yes, a waste.  Now you're getting it!

If its SOP to meet with any old QB no matter your pick slot then you'd see all 32 teams or close to it meeting with a guy.  They don't.

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

Needing three starting OL going into their “win or get fired” season is so funny for a guy that’s been here 4 years and stated offensive line would be a huge priority.

At least his intentions were pure though.

At least he tried to add OL.  Macc never could be bothered.  Both suck though.  Just different levels of suck.