Will JD mortgage the future in this year's draft?

22 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

If you’re trading next year’s 1, it has to be for a qb, otherwise it’s a waste.  

Still be a waste, especially if its for a QB. Joe Douglas couldn’t tell a franchise QB from a Zach in the ground. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Still be a waste, especially if its for a QB. Joe Douglas couldn’t tell a franchise QB from a Zach in the ground. 

Not disagreeing, but in concept, if a qb fell to 10, the jets should be in a position to have scouted him.  I wouldn’t be upset if they took a qb and used next year’s pick to improve the OL, but if they used next year’s 1 to get a wr this year not named Harrison that’s a problem.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Not disagreeing, but in concept, if a qb fell to 10, the jets should be in a position to have scouted him.  I wouldn’t be upset if they took a qb and used next year’s pick to improve the OL, but if they used next year’s 1 to get a wr this year not named Harrison that’s a problem.  

That’s all good in a different scenario but if we take a QB it will likely be round 4 or later. Might be better, no pressure to start, time to learn and late QB hits are typically a rather be lucky than good scenario. We know Joe isn’t good, so maybe he’s lucky? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That’s all good in a different scenario but if we take a QB it will likely be round 4 or later. Might be better, no pressure to start, time to learn and late QB hits are typically a rather be lucky than good scenario. We know Joe isn’t good, so maybe he’s lucky? 

Probably, with 2 picks in round 4.  I merely posed the crazy scenario where the jets surprise and take a guy like mccarthy at 10, and then use next year’s draft pick(s) to get OL this year.  Doubtful, yes.  At this point I’m even skeptical douglas will trade out of 10, if there’s a plug and play left tackle sitting there, b/c that’s been his biggest whiff.  But can you just imagine the jets laying low this whole time and the whole world thinks they’re going OL and mccarthy slides to 10 and the jets take him?  How wild would that be. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Probably, with 2 picks in round 4.  I merely posed the crazy scenario where the jets surprise and take a guy like mccarthy at 10, and then use next year’s draft pick(s) to get OL this year.  Doubtful, yes.  At this point I’m even skeptical douglas will trade out of 10, if there’s a plug and play left tackle sitting there, b/c that’s been his biggest whiff.  But can you just imagine the jets laying low this whole time and the whole world thinks they’re going OL and mccarthy slides to 10 and the jets take him?  How wild would that be. 

21AC242E-F314-4C9D-82BE-0309C408CD62.gif

I doubt he'll "mortgage" it but I can see JD doing what the Stock Exchange guys did with their mock - trading next year's 2nd to move up for Alt.  I think if that was an actual option JD would absolutely consider it.

I'd be surprised if we traded away our 1st next year though, or future 1st's beyond that.  "Win now" or not.  Jobs on the line or not.  I'm sure JD expects to still be here next year, and if he's still here he's going to need to draft a QB.  We're going to need that pick.  Hell, even if he was willing to trade it and truly wanted to go "all in", if I was Woody there's no ******* way I'd greenlight him moving that pick.  

16 hours ago, rangerous said:

Of course this may mean they won’t be able to re-sign guys like sauce or gWilson or jj or hall.  But that’s the price they’ll need to pay to win now. 

That sounds smart.

Lose Wilson and co for a maybe shot at a one-and-done Wildcard game?

Lets be serious, no one should see this team as a legitimate Super Bowl contender in 2024, least of all JD and Co.

No amount of FA or draft help is going to make the 2024 Jets into the 2023 Chiefs or their ilk.

Any selling of the future for the now is misguided and stupid, Rodgers Lease running out or not.

• Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I doubt he'll "mortgage" it but I can see JD doing what the Stock Exchange guys did with their mock - trading next year's 2nd to move up for Alt.  I think if that was an actual option JD would absolutely consider it.

I'd be surprised if we traded away our 1st next year though, or future 1st's beyond that.  "Win now" or not.  Jobs on the line or not.  I'm sure JD expects to still be here next year, and if he's still here he's going to need to draft a QB.  We're going to need that pick.  Hell, even if he was willing to trade it and truly wanted to go "all in", if I was Woody there's no ******* way I'd greenlight him moving that pick.  

I think the only scenario where they use the 2025 1st rounder is for a qb.  It’s irresponsible to use that pick for anything other than a qb at this point.  

23 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He already mortgaged the future with the Rodgers move.

The extent of further mortgaging will not be via draft capital it will be via dumb restructuring of contracts pushing more cap liability into the future.

Jets don’t have and won’t have cap issues.  

29 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think the only scenario where they use the 2025 1st rounder is for a qb.  It’s irresponsible to use that pick for anything other than a qb at this point.  

I agree.  Obviously a lot can change as far as needs next year, especially depending on what we do with this pick(if we go WR/Bowers, adding an OT will still probably be a need next year regardless of who we sign in free agency - most likely all of those guys will be short-term vets), but the one thing that's for sure is we WILL need a QB of the future, and at best Rodgers will be going into his last season as a Jet.  If he bombs next year or gets hurt again, he might not even get 2025.  

1 minute ago, bonkertons said:

I agree.  Obviously a lot can change as far as needs next year, especially depending on what we do with this pick(if we go WR/Bowers, adding an OT will still probably be a need next year regardless of who we sign in free agency - most likely all of those guys will be short-term vets), but the one thing that's for sure is we WILL need a QB of the future, and at best Rodgers will be going into his last season as a Jet.  If he bombs next year or gets hurt again, he might not even get 2025.  

And woody knows this, i am hoping.  And knowing woody, he loves making a splash, and he’s changing the unis again.  I would not put it past him if he went nuts on jd and said look, i know we traded for rodgers, and i know we have no 2nd rounder right now, but there’s qbs in this draft that we should evaluate closely in case one gets to 10.  Unless they go out and get a quality veteran qb in Fa, i wouldn’t be surprised if that is one scenario they’re considering.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Jets don’t have and won’t have cap issues.  

Garret Wilson, Breece Hall, Jermaine Johnson, Sauce Gardner are going to need new big money deals in a year or so.   Most of our rodgers cap liability is coming in a year or two along with other restructures we have made.

We are going to have to pay the piper sooner or later.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And woody knows this, i am hoping.  And knowing woody, he loves making a splash, and he’s changing the unis again.  I would not put it past him if he went nuts on jd and said look, i know we traded for rodgers, and i know we have no 2nd rounder right now, but there’s qbs in this draft that we should evaluate closely in case one gets to 10.  Unless they go out and get a quality veteran qb in Fa, i wouldn’t be surprised if that is one scenario they’re considering.  

I mean, I don't think this is that crazy unrealistic actually.  Especially if we're active in free agency.  If you solve both those OT spots with signings, that opens up your draft pick options a bit.  If a guy like Maye slides, which apparently is possible from what I've read, maybe you snatch him up if he's somehow there at 10. 

Win-now or not, hot-seat or not, Woody and JD both know that this is a need that will need to be addressed this year or next, and you know for a fact that you ain't getting anyone on Drake Maye's level next year.  At least not without trading multiple 1st's to move up.  Now if we're talking JJ McCarthy.....no thanks lol.  I'll happily wait til next year.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

That sounds smart.

Lose Wilson and co for a maybe shot at a one-and-done Wildcard game?

Lets be serious, no one should see this team as a legitimate Super Bowl contender in 2024, least of all JD and Co.

No amount of FA or draft help is going to make the 2024 Jets into the 2023 Chiefs or their ilk.

Any selling of the future for the now is misguided and stupid, Rodgers Lease running out or not.

i think there are only a handful of teams that can be relied on to make the playoffs this season.  the jets are clearly in a second tier group with having some really good pieces but serious holes at others.  but things can turn on a dime.  who knows how miami or buffalo or even the patsies will fair this season.  each of those teams is a couple of injuries away from not competing.  i get the point about not mortgaging the future but i also think a couple of successful seasons will build on itself.  if rodgers can lead the team deep into the playoffs then that should help them retain players and even attract other ones.  it's a crap shoot.  i think the bigger question is whether or not saleh will be able to sustain the success once it's achieved.

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think there are only a handful of teams that can be relied on to make the playoffs this season.  the jets are clearly in a second tier group with having some really good pieces but serious holes at others.  but things can turn on a dime.  who knows how miami or buffalo or even the patsies will fair this season.  each of those teams is a couple of injuries away from not competing.  i get the point about not mortgaging the future but i also think a couple of successful seasons will build on itself.  if rodgers can lead the team deep into the playoffs then that should help them retain players and even attract other ones.  it's a crap shoot.  i think the bigger question is whether or not saleh will be able to sustain the success once it's achieved.

The thing with the jets this year is that it’s more than if rodgers can get them to the playoffs.  If they don’t for whatever reason, the likely scenario is that saleh is gone, jd is gone, rodgers is gone and the team is blown up again.  That’s why a good backup qb matters more this year b/c the stakes are higher.  Sustainable for these guys is making it to the playoffs.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2024 at 8:06 AM, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I see this as a definite possibility. Trading away future Number 1's and 2's in a desperate bid to save his job.  This is precisely why I don't want him or Saleh shot calling on draft day but we may be in cap and draft capital hell for a long time after this one.   

Maybe he can offer 2 of his previous 1st round picks in a trade deal. Becton and Zach.  JD is a very poor evaluator of NFL ready talent.

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2024 at 11:08 AM, derp said:

I think:

a) this class is really strong at premium positions where the Jets need long-term help (OT, WR)

b) Douglas has very different boards than consensus at times

c) Douglas has shown a propensity to get aggressive when he feels a player is a really strong value (Jermaine Johnson, Alijah Vera-Tucker) 

So that being the case I could see him giving up future assets to get up into the late first or second to go get somebody.

But:

d) he's probably got his job on the line this year and so I'm not sure he'll have the autonomy to make that kind of a move

They miss having the second round pick this year, for sure. Under different circumstances I think this is actually a good year to use future capital to add a player because of the need-value-premium position mismatch. Trading down from 10 can help accomplish that two, but if you had a stable team situation I think both could be completely justifiable. Alas.

Where I could see it is if they head into the draft with just Warren penciled in to start at RT, after signing a starting LT and RG/C in FA, had a harder time signing a serious WR2 in FA, and are staring at the #2 or #3 offensive weapon upgrade vs the 3rd-best OL prospect upgrade (I still have a visceral reaction drafting a TE this high but put that aside since I've never seen him play).

Anyway, then at the bottom of round 1 or top of round 2, make a trade for next year's #1. San Fran did that very thing some years ago (had pick #11 and had no 2nd rounder) & got a 12-year RT-LT starter out of it while also drafting an all-pro at #11. Ironically the #7 overall pick they ended up surrendering a year later was in no-man's land in a weak draft, and Staley ended up being a player you'd happily draft #7 overall anyway (with the benefit of hindsight, of course).

However... 

Next year's 1st would be a hard one to trade away, though, since it wouldn't take a functioning crystal ball to figure the Jets will be looking to draft a long-term QB next April, either on day 1 or day 2, whether Rodgers agrees to come back for a 3rd season or not. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Where I could see it is if they head into the draft with just Warren penciled in to start at RT, after signing a starting LT and RG/C in FA, had a harder time signing a serious WR2 in FA, and are staring at the #2 or #3 offensive weapon upgrade vs the 3rd-best OL prospect upgrade (I still have a visceral reaction drafting a TE this high but put that aside since I've never seen him play).

Anyway, then at the bottom of round 1 or top of round 2, make a trade for next year's #1. San Fran did that very thing some years ago (had pick #11 and had no 2nd rounder) & got a 12-year RT-LT starter out of it while also drafting an all-pro at #11. Ironically the #7 overall pick they ended up surrendering a year later was in no-man's land in a weak draft, and Staley ended up being a player you'd happily draft #7 overall anyway (with the benefit of hindsight, of course).

However... 

Next year's 1st would be a hard one to trade away, though, since it wouldn't take a functioning crystal ball to figure the Jets will be looking to draft a long-term QB next April, either on day 1 or day 2, whether Rodgers agrees to come back for a 3rd season or not. 

Because they have no young qb prospect and b/c this regime may be gone, you can’t use next year’s 1 for anything except a qb.  Unless as i outlined in this thread, they take a qb at 10 and then as you noted, they use the 2025 pick to address OL.  This also addresses backup qb.  

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Because they have no young qb prospect and b/c this regime may be gone, you can’t use next year’s 1 for anything except a qb.  Unless as i outlined in this thread, they take a qb at 10 and then as you noted, they use the 2025 pick to address OL.  This also addresses backup qb.  

I agree it's pretty likely, but - while you may not like it, and most wouldn't - yeah sure they can go with another position and take a QB after round 1 (if only round 2) if the plan is to park him on the bench all season and follow Rodgers around like a puppy. Depends on what slot we end up with, too.

They aren't taking a QB at #10 this year. Nothing shocks me, but I'd be very, very surprised. OK I guess I'd be shocked. It's not a realistic expectation with the FO's goal being for Rodgers to start for 2 more seasons (ok, 2 more would still just be 2 seasons lol). If they take a QB in round 1, they sabotage their own desire. 

If there's a QB sitting there at #10 and he's the last one with a 1st round grade (I admit I don't know crap about these prospects myself) I think Douglas would sooner try to cash in on the pick by trading down to recoup a 2nd rounder without having to move down quite as far (with QBs often teams will get above chart value in trade).

Too early to tell, but despite some fans' desire for it to be so, they aren't drafting a QB at #10 any more than they were going to franchise tag Bryce Huff for over $20MM. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I agree it's pretty likely, but - while you may not like it, and most wouldn't - yeah sure they can go with another position and take a QB after round 1 (if only round 2) if the plan is to park him on the bench all season and follow Rodgers around like a puppy. Depends on what slot we end up with, too.

They aren't taking a QB at #10 this year. Nothing shocks me, but I'd be very, very surprised. OK I guess I'd be shocked. It's not a realistic expectation with the FO's goal being for Rodgers to start for 2 more seasons (ok, 2 more would still just be 2 seasons lol). If they take a QB in round 1, they sabotage their own desire. 

If there's a QB sitting there at #10 and he's the last one with a 1st round grade (I admit I don't know crap about these prospects myself) I think Douglas would sooner try to cash in on the pick by trading down to recoup a 2nd rounder without having to move down quite as far (with QBs often teams will get above chart value in trade).

Too early to tell, but despite some fans' desire for it to be so, they aren't drafting a QB at #10 any more than they were going to franchise tag Bryce Huff for over $20MM. 

And yet when do the jets do what they’re supposed to do?  The only reason i bring up this scenario is b/c of woody and how he seemingly meddles and possibly dictates things.  What if he’s now obsessed with qbs and is worried about rodgers getting hurt early in the year again, and then even with a guy like brissett nobody cares about the jets.  He’s already teased about the new retro unis.  They play possum up to the draft and let everyone mock an OT to them at 10.  And that’s the likely scenario, except if a qb they like (see mccarthy i use in this example) is there at 10.  The raiders, saints, Vikings and broncos couldn’t trade up and now nobody expects the jets to take him.  And then bam, McCarthy is a jet, woody has his new PR toy.  When rodgers gets hurt, they throw in mccarthy and they’re relevant again.  Then, they use their 2025 1st rounder to move back into the back of round 1 and take an OL that would have gone higher if not for the stacked OL class.  

Not likely but hey, this is the place to speculate.  

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And yet when do the jets do what they’re supposed to do?  The only reason i bring up this scenario is b/c of woody and how he seemingly meddles and possibly dictates things.  What if he’s now obsessed with qbs and is worried about rodgers getting hurt early in the year again, and then even with a guy like brissett nobody cares about the jets.  He’s already teased about the new retro unis.  They play possum up to the draft and let everyone mock an OT to them at 10.  And that’s the likely scenario, except if a qb they like (see mccarthy i use in this example) is there at 10.  The raiders, saints, Vikings and broncos couldn’t trade up and now nobody expects the jets to take him.  And then bam, McCarthy is a jet, woody has his new PR toy.  When rodgers gets hurt, they throw in mccarthy and they’re relevant again.  Then, they use their 2025 1st rounder to move back into the back of round 1 and take an OL that would have gone higher if not for the stacked OL class.  

Not likely but hey, this is the place to speculate.  

I think you're speaking to your personal desire or judgment, though; not what the team's at all likely to do. If Woody's goal is to have Rodgers start for 2 seasons - '24 and '25 - then he'd be sabotaging that if he drafts a QB at #10 in '24. He's just not going to do it when it was such a sore point with Rodgers a few years back. 

MAYBE next year they might take a QB in round 1, but even that's not a sure thing. Even if he didn't totally love it, Rodgers would still surely understand (more than he did with Green Bay when he was several years younger). Given that the idea is the next prospect would be on the bench all year, it might not happen in round 1 (also depends where we pick).

This year? I think it's at least 100:1 odds against the Jets taking a QB at #10 (or anywhere in round 1 even if they trade up/down from #10) this season. I don't care who they interviewed at the combine; if anything that's the smokescreen to get someone to leapfrog them to draft a QB, pushing the guy they want to hopefully fall to us. If some QB falls to them they're more likely to have a bidding war for teams to trade up to our slot than draft a guy they ideally don't want to see on the field until 2026. 

The only exception I could see is if someone has an unexpected Rodgers-like draft drop and Douglas trades next year's 1 to take a QB in the 20s. Even that's not too ideal, as their goal is still be to play Rodgers for 2 seasons, using up the rookie's 2 cheapest seasons on the bench. But if they do land the right guy, that'd be a good problem to have.

More likely than drafting a QB at #10 is any of the following:

• taking an OL at #10
  • trading down to recoup a day 2 pick, and OL is targeted later in round 1 or with that new day 2 pick, depending how high it is
  • taking the WR/TE pick at #10, and then trading next year's 1st for a pick in the 25-35 range and taking an OL there. Plays at RT for his first season(s) and then moves over to LT, ideally, making it fine use of a 1st round pick that we get to use a year early. Of course, if they end up drafting the next Vlad Ducasse...

jmo

The rationale move in Douglas's position is to go all-in to make something out of the next two years. If the Rodgers experiment fails, he's out this year or next. He has no incentive to care about the team's fate after he's fired. If the experiment succeeds, he makes the case that they have to clean house with Rodgers's cap hit anyway and goes into a hard reset. 

Trying to continue this plodding build does nothing for him. The fewer pieces he puts around Rodgers, the less likely the team has a good year and he's back next year. If it works, he still has to chop up the team to get past Rodgers's dead cap. Not really a difference between winning six games in 2026 versus three, especially if a bad year sets up good draft opportunities in 2027. 

Not endorsing this as a good long term solution, just looking at it from Douglas's point of view. 

On 3/4/2024 at 8:06 AM, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I see this as a definite possibility. Trading away future Number 1's and 2's in a desperate bid to save his job.  This is precisely why I don't want him or Saleh shot calling on draft day but we may be in cap and draft capital hell for a long time after this one.   

I can see the exact opposite.  He will get another gig, and could pad his resume with the optics "I could have burned through capital in a lame duck scenario, and I didn't."

On 3/5/2024 at 3:15 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

However... 

Before I get in the weeds a little here - I don't think they'll trade future capital to move up. I think that it would be a good idea with the right GM in place, but I don't think it'll happen. Especially with Douglas' job seriously at risk, I can't see Woody greenlighting that. When's the last time the Jets traded their first round pick away a year in advance?

You make a great example with what SF did of what I could see the Jets accomplishing. This is a great draft class at two premium positions the Jets have needs at. It's a shame they lack the #2, but I think you can easily make an argument that the player they'd get in the late first this year would be comparable to a player they might get in the mid first next year - and in theory you're hoping not to be drafting that high next year, too.

The tight end think is interesting. I don't think you can make a compelling argument for one at ten financially. It's so hard to get any surplus value out of the position. Now I'd probably rather take a tight end in the first than a guard, because you can at least do the fifth year option a little more easily given the finances. But with tight end where you get value there is on the second contract. Guys tend to break out then, and if you can have a tight end who functions as your #1 or #2 pass catcher you don't pay him market value for a #1 or #2 wide receiver given the finances of the position - so you can get surplus value there. I just think it's more prudent to take athletes on day two or early day three and commit to developing them, or pick up a distressed asset when a guy's been in the league for four years already. Hockenson is working out nicely for the Vikings. If the Falcons ever start looking to move Kyle Pitts I'd be all over it.

I digressed there.

But I would add that I don't think they necessarily are taking a quarterback next year. I think this is going to be a build up quickly/tear down quickly kind of situation, I don't think the timing of roster building would be right to bring in a young quarterback. Maybe if Rodgers stays and they try to keep it rolling, but I think it's a stretch. Would think it's more prudent to start chipping away at adding young assets at premium positions and making sure those are reasonably well filled out and going the veteran route - some way or another - before deciding the situation is pretty decent and then taking a crack at a young guy.

48 minutes ago, derp said:

Before I get in the weeds a little here - I don't think they'll trade future capital to move up. I think that it would be a good idea with the right GM in place, but I don't think it'll happen. Especially with Douglas' job seriously at risk, I can't see Woody greenlighting that. When's the last time the Jets traded their first round pick away a year in advance?

You make a great example with what SF did of what I could see the Jets accomplishing. This is a great draft class at two premium positions the Jets have needs at. It's a shame they lack the #2, but I think you can easily make an argument that the player they'd get in the late first this year would be comparable to a player they might get in the mid first next year - and in theory you're hoping not to be drafting that high next year, too.

The tight end think is interesting. I don't think you can make a compelling argument for one at ten financially. It's so hard to get any surplus value out of the position. Now I'd probably rather take a tight end in the first than a guard, because you can at least do the fifth year option a little more easily given the finances. But with tight end where you get value there is on the second contract. Guys tend to break out then, and if you can have a tight end who functions as your #1 or #2 pass catcher you don't pay him market value for a #1 or #2 wide receiver given the finances of the position - so you can get surplus value there. I just think it's more prudent to take athletes on day two or early day three and commit to developing them, or pick up a distressed asset when a guy's been in the league for four years already. Hockenson is working out nicely for the Vikings. If the Falcons ever start looking to move Kyle Pitts I'd be all over it.

I digressed there.

But I would add that I don't think they necessarily are taking a quarterback next year. I think this is going to be a build up quickly/tear down quickly kind of situation, I don't think the timing of roster building would be right to bring in a young quarterback. Maybe if Rodgers stays and they try to keep it rolling, but I think it's a stretch. Would think it's more prudent to start chipping away at adding young assets at premium positions and making sure those are reasonably well filled out and going the veteran route - some way or another - before deciding the situation is pretty decent and then taking a crack at a young guy.

"When's the last time the Jets traded their first round pick away a year in advance?"

Um, literally less than a year ago? ;) It's only because Rodgers got IR'd so early that it downgraded to a 2nd, but both parties figured it'd be their "first round pick a year in advance" - plus a 2nd rounder in the current year - for Rodgers. 

I hate the idea of a TE at #10. It's no knock on Bowers, whom I've never seen play and who is supposed to be all that. It's that anything other than him producing at an NFL level like Kittle Kelce Gonzo and it's a horrible pick. If he's just good then they burned a premium asset on a merely good player at a non-premium position. If he IS all that, then sure he's the right pick, and if he's merely good then he'd still be a better pick than the next great Jets bust 1st rounder, too. But I have my admitted biases. I wouldn't take a non-premium position unless it's coincidentally the one thing missing -- a special TE, a special RB, a special guard, etc. I yam what I yam. 

I agree - and said just yesterday to someone - I don't think it's a slam dunk they are taking a QB next year either. Just that they realize the reality of being year-to-year with Rodgers at this point, and would surely like to keep their powder dry in case he fickly changes his mind, which would ultra-shock nobody (particularly if he - hopefully not - goes on IR early again). 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2024 at 8:22 AM, Adoni Beast said:

think JD is much more safe (not bulletproof but has the potential to survive this) than Saleh

They both have contracts that end this year 

They either both get extended or both let go 

There's probably no realistic scenario where the team does well enough to justify an extension for one but not the other 

Oh yeah and 

To answer the original question, he already mortgaged the future with the arod trade and contract 

There is no future 

On 3/5/2024 at 3:52 PM, Scott Dierking said:

Gosh, I sure hope that JD tries to win this year. Does anyone feel that this team is more than a one to two year window at this point?

Only delusional people look at a third place in the afc east team, a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 13 years and declare the window open 

The window for what? Jumping out of? 

No chance.  Maybe a future 2, tops.  No way will Woody let a lame-duck GM trade away future 1st rounders in an attempt to save his job.  Imagine that sh*t happening and we still suck next year.  We clean house.  It'll be hard enough trying to find respected HC and GM candidates that would want to come here....it'll be near impossible if we're coming off a sh*t year and have no 1st round pick.

It's a near lock that the new regime will want to draft their QB.  That 1st rounder should be off the table this year.  Ideally he won't have the green light to trade any future pick unless it's like a 4th or worse.

9 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

No chance.  Maybe a future 2, tops.  No way will Woody let a lame-duck GM trade away future 1st rounders in an attempt to save his job.  Imagine that sh*t happening and we still suck next year.  We clean house.  It'll be hard enough trying to find respected HC and GM candidates that would want to come here....it'll be near impossible if we're coming off a sh*t year and have no 1st round pick.

It's a near lock that the new regime will want to draft their QB.  That 1st rounder should be off the table this year.  Ideally he won't have the green light to trade any future pick unless it's like a 4th or worse.

even trading next year's 2 is not mortgaging the future.  that would be what carolina did.  

On 3/5/2024 at 9:51 AM, bonkertons said:

doubt he'll "mortgage" it but I can see JD doing what the Stock Exchange guys did with their mock - trading next year's 2nd to move up for Alt.  

I like Joe alt but he's not like this mega elite prospect 

He's like a kolton Miller or Mike mcglinchy type. Tall pass blocking starter not a pro bowl or all pro 

He's got a great short shuttle time... high floor. 

In other words we could be living through a scenario where alt goes higher in top 10 but fuaga turns out to be the better player 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

I like Joe alt but he's not like this mega elite prospect 

He's like a kolton Miller or Mike mcglinchy type. Tall pass blocking starter not a pro bowl or all pro 

He's got a great short shuttle time... high floor. 

In other words we could be living through a scenario where alt goes higher in top 10 but fuaga turns out to be the better player 

i don't see a scenario where the jets trade up for a tackle this year.  if anything they trade up from that 3rd round slot.