OT Mike Onwenu to hit open market

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

He played tackle in college and the NFL but he's not a tackle. Ok

Exactly.  They're going to do what's best for the team.

If FA come and go and AVT is the best option to play tackle, he's going to play tackle.

39 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t know why so many are so adamant about this.

AVT is a better guard than tackle but you could say that about that vast majority of OL.

Quality interior guys are easier to find than guys operating on the perimeter.

AVT has at least proven that he can play RT at an above average level and can even manage to play LT and not embarrass himself.

The FA crop of guards is much better than at tackle.

Onwenu, Zeitler, Runyan, etc are all guys who would be plug and play, instant upgrades for the Jets.

Frankly, with Evans getting a new deal and Devante Adams seemingly off the table, the smartest move would be for the Jets to attack the sh*t out of the OL in FA and take either Odunze, Nabers or Bowers at #10.

Onwenu should honestly be their top target. If AVT returns healthy, then the right side of your OL is completely solidified, regardless of where you want to play them at.

Agreed seems like one of those guys in the draft is the best type of talent we can get for Rodgers. Unless they throw a bag at Ridley or make a surprise trade . 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Exactly.  They're going to do what's best for the team.

If FA come and go and AVT is the best option to play tackle, he's going to play tackle.

As you said it will really come down to FA but I think that the team is already leaning towards the AVT at RT direction.

I am sure that AVT wants this as well and will want to be getting OT $ once his rookie deal is done. So if you're the Jets and looking at what's best for the team now and keeping this guy as a cornerstone piece for you OL for years to come then you make the move to OT.

• Sympathy 1

Onwenu is a major young talent.  Better than Thuney is/was.  

He is fairly durable (having played through pain this year), and works at all positions.

However, he is absolutely not a fit for our scheme.  The Patriots tried a zone scheme a season or two ago and dropped it after 3 or 4 games b/c it was such a disaster for them.  Onwenu was terrible in those games.  

He is the big strong plodding type, and really not made for that type of movement.  Paying him big bucks for what would be diminished results would be a fireable offense.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Don’t know much about him except he’s the 26yo a few of you have said might be released by NE.

Is he any good, if he is I guess this was cap related? What kind of deal will he get on the open market?

From the team with the most cap space?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He played tackle in college and the NFL but he's not a tackle. Ok

Irrelevant. He's in the NFL now and he's a much better G. Moving him around hasn't helped him health wise either.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Unless you have some medical evidence that moving him around is related to being injured I'm not buying it. Injuries happen, it's football.

He has played well at both tackle and guard in the NFL.

He's been an adequate tackle and he's been a great guard. You put your players in the best position to succeed as you can.

Additionally, he's proven that health is something difficult for him to maintain. That's why the Jets should be DRAFTING a tackle early. Youth is needed there and hopefully you set yourself up for long-term at the position. Free agency at tackle is a Fool's Errand. And planning on AVT to play tackle full time all season protecting your 40 year old QB also coming off injury, and then in seasons beyond that is about as insane as it gets.

5 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Get me Onwenu and Dotson plugging those 2 at G with Tippman at C and AVT at one of the T spots would be a massive step forward

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

isn't he a guard?

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

AVT. Is. Not. A. T.

Onwenu has 2 years of experience at right tackle 

They moved him inside to guard but he's got more experience at RT and has arms 2 inches longer than avt 

4 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Isn't Onwenu a gap/power scheme fit?

I keep seeing his name mentioned, but it's my impression he doesn't fit our Zone scheme?

Onwenu is in fact a gap power fit more than zone but the jets run both...(as do most teams)

And less outside zone since Mike LeFleur left 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Unless you have some medical evidence that moving him around is related to being injured I'm not buying it. Injuries happen, it's football.

injuries are a NY thing Jets Yankees Knicks are pro's at injuries to the point it getting ridiculous

• Ugh 1

36 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

In the very short sample size that is his career so far, the dude has never gotten hurt playing guard, and has been lost to injury for the season within 4 games of moving to OT.  

Those are #OnlyFacts

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Here's some more facts

Screenshot_20240305-213608.thumb.png.28790f23972d92733119e5c12e9dcd73.png

I know you think your "Correlation v Causation" thing is clever... but sadly. It isn't. 

Your argument choices are either "AVT is an injury prone player who was destined to suffer two season ending injuries to start his career" OR "Playing at a position he isn't suited to play at the highest level of American Tackle Football led to two season ending injuries".

7 card stud, roll yer own...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I know you think your "Correlation v Causation" thing is clever... but sadly. It isn't. 

Your argument choices are either "AVT is an injury prone player who was destined to suffer two season ending injuries to start his career" OR "Playing at a position he isn't suited to play at the highest level of American Tackle Football led to two season ending injuries".

7 card stud, roll yer own...

I keep looking for any medical facts to backup your claim but haven't found it yet. Could you please point me in the right direction

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I keep looking for any medical facts to backup your claim but haven't found it yet. Could you please point me in the right direction

Stop it. This is stupid, and you aren't stupid...

27 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Stop it. This is stupid, and you aren't stupid...

Like I said, I'm not buying it. You can keep repeating the fact that he got injured while playing tackle but it's not convincing to me that is why. I can be convinced with medical evidence but no one has ever shown any sfaik

Feel free to think it's stupid.

49 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Those aren’t the only two choices, though. 

A third choice is simply that football is a violent game and every team in the league suffers major injuries every single year. AVT suffered two freak injuries in completely different parts of the body in back to back years. It’s a sample size of 2. There’s not much of a pattern to analyze here  . . . 

Unless you can point to some physical and/or medical connection between an Achilles tear, a torn triceps, and playing tackle instead of guard,  it feels like you might be providing a convenient explanation for two random occurrences to make yourself feel better. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Those aren’t the only two choices, though. 

A third choice is simply that football is a violent game and every team in the league suffers major injuries every single year. AVT suffered two freak injuries in completely different parts of the body in back to back years. It’s a sample size of 2. There’s not much of a pattern to analyze here  . . . 

Unless you can point to some physical and/or medical connection between an Achilles tear, a torn triceps, and playing tackle instead of guard,  it feels like you might be providing a convenient explanation for two random occurrences to make yourself feel better. 

Ok. 

FWIW there is a lot of anecdotal evidence showing the antibiotic Cipro is being linked to soft tissue injury/ tendon injuries so much so there is a black box warning on it. A podiatrist friend has treated at least 8 Achilles tears in the last year that he says are linked to taking Cipro. My only point is that sometimes it is hard to tell why some get injured and others don’t or why some injuries are worse than others. During their 2015 run Brandon Marshall got his leg bent back at an awkward angle and most people watching were sure he was done for the year and he thought he was injured but ended up coming back in the game. AVT walked off without a limp after his Achilles injury. 🤷‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app