OT Mike Onwenu to hit open market

19 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

This guy should be the #1 target 

Does the Jets equipment room have a helmet big enough to fit that head?   Looks like they took the padding out of that Pats helmet just to make it fit

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

definitely need at least one starting guard - just curious since the title says OT.

He’s an AVT type - pretty sure he has started and graded out well at both Gs and RT

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

isn't he a guard?

He can play tackle or guard and has been good at both spots. Probably a more natural guard, but so was Damien Woody.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Don’t know much about him except he’s the 26yo a few of you have said might be released by NE.

Is he any good, if he is I guess this was cap related? What kind of deal will he get on the open market?

Well they're not releasing him. They're just not applying the franchise tag on him. TBH I can't recall the tag being used on any OL other than a pure tackle anyway. 

They may still sign him to an extension before FA begins; it's just that they don't want to tag a guard at $21MM regardless of where negotiations stand today (not unlike the Jets with Huff). 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Don’t know much about him except he’s the 26yo a few of you have said might be released by NE.

Is he any good, if he is I guess this was cap related? What kind of deal will he get on the open market?

Released?  No.  He was their best guard.  Had an injury filled 2022.  Then he was their best tackle last year.  Yes, tackle.  he kicked out there after Beli went oh for tackle last offseason.  He played well.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well they're not releasing him. They're just not applying the franchise tag on him. TBH I can't recall the tag being used on any OL other than a pure tackle anyway. 

They may still sign him to an extension before FA begins; it's just that they don't want to tag a guard at $21MM regardless of where negotiations stand today (not unlike the Jets with Huff). 

Right, and like the Jets with Huff, I don't want to get into helping the Pats get a top tier comp pick.  When you factor into signing guys you consider the ability, age, and what kind of free agent he is.  Guys that are cut, like Tyron Smith, or late signees like Duane Brown or Morgan Moses, do not count against the formula.  They can spend a ton on those guys and it will not offset what they stand to get for Becton, Huff and anybody else. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1