Thoughts/Concerns regarding Simpson

6 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

or....we traded a part time player to fill 2 potentially 3 starting spots on the roster.  Perspective

Quinnen Williams is also a part time player. That’s the whole purpose of having Bob as the HC. All of his dlinemen are part time. Now we’re signing part time Dt’s

22 minutes ago, Alka said:

I don't agree with your conclusions.  AVT, when healthy, plays close to an all-pro level.  Tippman, who was a rookie last season, seemed to play well down the stretch.  

Players who play on this offensive line, and get moved to another team, may very well play better due to factors such as growth, more cohesive line with less injuries, or many other factors. 

Duane Brown came here and played great in his first season, then not well due to injuries or age.  

Oh, Duane Brown was great?  I had no idea.

• Haha 1

I’m not sure any of our offensive coaches can make any players better. Seems like most have regressed under Saleh as it is, minus a few bonafide stars. I have even less hope than ever in the O staff. 

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Quinnen Williams is also a part time player. That’s the whole purpose of having Bob as the HC. All of his dlinemen are part time. Now we’re signing part time Dt’s

QW plays waaaaaay more than Huff did. Its not even close...stop it man, you know better than that. These are not comparable players in any shape or form. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

You realize we still need two OTs and a WR2(among a few other positions), right?  Just because the first moves were a guard and a backup QB doesn't somehow translate to "we let Huff walk for a guard and a backup QB".  You're purposely being obtuse.  

Thanks. I thought I was alone in seeing this obtuser.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

QW plays waaaaaay more than Huff did. Its not even close...stop it man, you know better than that. These are not comparable players in any shape or form. 

It’s coming from a man that gets all of his analysis from watching ESPN on Jet Blue flights. Give the guy a break. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So glad there is another thread on Laken Tomlinson 2.0. Definitely needed. 

Tomlinson's salary was 3 years for 40 mil. I'm fairly certain we aren't paying this guy anywhere near that. Even if he is not much better than Tomlinson, at least he won't cost a fortune and we needed the body.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So glad there is another thread on Laken Tomlinson 2.0. Definitely needed. 

It's a thread about the coaching staff more than the player.

27 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Tomlinson's salary was 3 years for 40 mil. I'm fairly certain we aren't paying this guy anywhere near that. Even if he is not much better than Tomlinson, at least he won't cost a fortune and we needed the body.

So cool to trust the guy who failed to build the oline in the first 4/5 years to do it this time. Seems like a good idea. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I don't understand what this means.  You saying we spent too much?  Were you content with bringing back Siemian or something?

Also Simpson essentially got Tomlinson's money.  Had nothing to do with Huff.  

Tomlinson was at 10M plus. Simpson got 6.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So cool to trust the guy who failed to build the oline in the first 4/5 years to do it this time. Seems like a good idea. 

Considering that JD is under contract until next June and is the current GM, who do you expect to address the OL this off-season? Jeff Urlbrich?

• Upvote 1

To sum it up, the Jets let their best pass rusher leave to sign a guard, a bust backup DT and a backup QB.
Oh, is free agency finished already?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I would have though Huff would be part of an “all-in” year so the defense could continue to dominate and give AR/the horrible offense a chance. This regime doesn’t really make sense. We’ll just have to see what happens at this point. 

Huff is precisely what you need to “play with a lead” now that Rodgers is back.

They better be right on McD being able to fill those shoes.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

To sum it up, the Jets let their best pass rusher leave to sign a guard, a bust backup DT and a backup QB.

Thats about as simplistic as it gets. Huff wanted OUT.  It didnt matter. He wasnt resigning here.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

People are so hung up on the cost.

Saving money is fine, but there’s no SB trophy awarded for austerity.

Rodgers is at best 50/50 to play at a reasonably high level in ‘25.

He might even look completely washed this season.

Favre and Tom Brady are an extreme outlier.

Warren Moon played to age 40 and still looked halfway decent.

Who else?

This has to be an “all in” season.

The bald dopes in charge are slow-playing this as if they have 15 years to turn this thing around.

9 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Tomlinson was at 10M plus. Simpson got 6.

Saved $8M from Tomlinson - aka he "essentially" got his money.  Either way that even furthers my point.  We cut Tomlinson and replaced him with someone who makes less than what we saved - aka has nothing to do with Huff.

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Rodgers is at best 50/50 to play at a reasonably high level in ‘25.

Who else?

The bald dopes in charge are slow-playing this as if they have 15 years to turn this thing around.

Which all pro guard did you want to sign? 😅

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Rodgers is at best 50/50 to play at a high level in ‘25.

Who else?

I think people get hung up on cost because we still have 3 major needs that need to be addressed.  One can be filled through the draft, but that still leaves two spots that will cost a decent amount of money.

...and if anyone could be another "extreme outlier", it would be Rodgers.  He's probably already a top-5 QB all-time.

Slow playing? lol what exactly do you think is happening behind the scenes?  They're jerking each other off?  

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

FWIW, I'm devastated about Huff, but I'm not convinced it was entirely a money thing with Huff. Huff made very telling comments on Black Monday about wanting to find a scheme that let him play more. I genuinely don't think that Saleh believes in Huff as an every down player and thinks McDonald will be better long term. I fear, in classic Jets fashion, Saleh will be proven wrong and Huff will ball in Philly. 

But I think Huff and the Jets both wanted to go their separate ways. Saleh just never seemed to be a big fan of Huff and I think the plan was to let Huff walk the moment we drafted McDonald. 

Huff was clocked as the FASTEST DL to the QB in the NFL last year, faster than Michah Parsons, read what I just wrote a few times and let it marinate.  He basically only played on obvious passing downs which weren’t very plentiful since the Jet O was so beyond awful teams ran a lot on them while almost always having a lead for most of every game….and Huff still put up Double Digit Sacks.

I won’t be surprised if Huff comes close to 20 Sacks in Philly, and to let this guy go for NOTHING is beyond “malpractice”.  McDonald is only a year younger than him, an “old” draft pick, to draft him was idiotic, you’re just at best trying to swap one for another at the SAME position.  Waste of a 1st Rd pick, when your guy is already on the roster.  Classic Jet “thinking”.

Been a fan for so long but I’m starting to think of this team as something akin to a Wilpon owned Met team, pick almost any year.  There was always a constant though, horrible owner, lousy coaching and for the most part unlikable players.  Now thinking how one of them would hit a home run while the team would be losing 12-1 and the whole stupid team would celebrate like they just won the World Series when they were now losing 12-2 haha.  The Jets are almost right in line with that with me now.

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Huff was clocked as the FASTEST DL to the QB in the NFL last year, faster than Michah Parsons, read what I just wrote a few times and let it marinate.  He basically only played on obvious passing downs which weren’t very plentiful since the Jet O was so beyond awful teams ran a lot on them while almost always having a lead for most of every game….and Huff still put up Double Digit Sacks.

I won’t be surprised if Huff comes close to 20 Sacks in Philly, and to let this guy go for NOTHING is beyond “malpractice”.  McDonald is only a year younger than him, an “old” draft pick, to draft him was idiotic, you’re just at best trying to swap one for another at the SAME position.  Waste of a 1st Rd pick, when your guy is already on the roster.  Classic Jet “thinking”.

Yes, Huff played 42.2% of the snaps last year . That's because the Jets view him as a rotational pass rusher who doesn't play the run well AND the Jets employ a very deep DL rotation, by default. The question is - How does Philly view him? Will they let him play the clear majority of snaps as an every down DE? Will he improve against the run? You mentioned him getting to the QB quicker than Micah Parsons. Well, Parsons is a complete player who played 81% of the snaps last year. Is Philly going to let Huff do that? If Huff wants 20 sacks, he'll need significantly more snaps than he got here. I think we need to see how he handles those extra snaps. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Considering that JD is under contract until next June and is the current GM, who do you expect to address the OL this off-season? Jeff Urlbrich?

Oh. I’m sorry. I should have made it more clear. JD is pretty bad at his job and he shouldn’t have it anymore. Same thing with the stairstepper. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh. I’m sorry. I should have made it more clear. JD is pretty bad at his job and he shouldn’t have it anymore. Same thing with the stairstepper. 

You can make that argument but as long as he's still here he will be calling the shots for this off-season. And I'm not going to jump off a bridge because they signed a guard that they desperately need. Too many holes to fill to shoot for all pros at every position.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

You can make that argument but as long as he's still here he will be calling the shots for this off-season. And I'm not going to jump off a bridge because they signed a guard that they desperately need. Too many holes to fill to shoot for all pros at every position.

You’re missing the point. They desperately need a guard on the cheap because he whiffed so hard the first time. Which is why you shouldn’t be confident in the guy he just signed. Plus the numbers back that up. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

You’re missing the point. They desperately need a guard on the cheap because he whiffed so hard the first time. Which is why you shouldn’t be confident in the guy he just signed. Plus the numbers back that up. 

Who said I was confident? But we needed a guard and he signed one. 

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Spending money on backups and a guard while letting your best pass rusher leave for zippo is beyond bad.

Other teams who do not draft DLs in the first round ( because they are actually building strong offenses) can splurge on DLs in FA. Huff was gone day the idiot JD drafted McDonald 15th overall. The offense is in horrible shape, in an offensive driven league. Can’t have everything.

• Upvote 1