Thoughts/Concerns regarding Simpson

So I've watched a few of John Simpson's games and while he does some things well, the thing I can't get out of my head is "Will Keith Carter take what this kid does well and coach it out of him"?

As I've mentioned many times before, offensive players across the board tend to get worse when they come here and play better when they leave.

I mean, Laken Tomlinson was a pro bowler in SF and as a Jet he didn't just get worse, but he became completely useless.

Will it be the same for Simpson?  Time will tell.

Anyway...I put most of these in another thread but figured I'd put all of them in here as well.

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

There will always be concerns until we see him get it done on the field.  No matter who we signed, it would have been the same thing.  Tomlinson was a "safe" Pro Bowler when we brought him in.  Playing in NY is a different beast, and playing for a sh*t OL coach is just another handicap he'll have to overcome.  Time will tell though.  Whoever we bring in at LT will also impact the Simpson signing.  If it's a healthy Bakhtiari, I'll feel a little better about his chances.  If Bakhtiari goes down week 1 of training camp and we're forced to rely on a sophomore Carter Warren, then I probably won't feel as confident.

...but yeah, I'll hold off on predicting much of anything until the draft is done and we have a better picture of what this depth chart will actually look like.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We don’t need to over complicate things. That’s what it is. The issue with backup QB was that it was Wilson, not the position itself. 

I would have though Huff would be part of an “all-in” year so the defense could continue to dominate and give AR/the horrible offense a chance. This regime doesn’t really make sense. We’ll just have to see what happens at this point. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We don’t need to over complicate things. That’s what it is. The issue with backup QB was that it was Wilson, not the position itself. 

I don't understand what this means.  You saying we spent too much?  Were you content with bringing back Siemian or something?

Also Simpson essentially got Tomlinson's money.  Had nothing to do with Huff.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, bonkertons said:

I don't understand what this means.  You saying we spent too much?  Were you content with bringing back Siemian or something?

Also Simpson essentially got Tomlinson's money.  Had nothing to do with Huff.  

Spending money on backups and a guard while letting your best pass rusher leave for zippo is beyond bad.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I would have though Huff would be part of an “all-in” year so the defense could continue to dominate and give AR/the horrible offense a chance. This regime doesn’t really make sense. We’ll just have to see what happens at this point. 

Almost as if all this "all-in" talk is nonsense, and GMs don't operate that way - even on the hotseat.  If we trade this year's and next year's 1st rounders for veteran help(Justin Jefferson) I'll start to buy in to that narrative. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Spending money on backups and a guard while letting your best pass rusher leave for zippo is beyond bad.

You realize we still need two OTs and a WR2(among a few other positions), right?  Just because the first moves were a guard and a backup QB doesn't somehow translate to "we let Huff walk for a guard and a backup QB".  You're purposely being obtuse.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

FWIW, I'm devastated about Huff, but I'm not convinced it was entirely a money thing with Huff. Huff made very telling comments on Black Monday about wanting to find a scheme that let him play more. I genuinely don't think that Saleh believes in Huff as an every down player and thinks McDonald will be better long term. I fear, in classic Jets fashion, Saleh will be proven wrong and Huff will ball in Philly. 

But I think Huff and the Jets both wanted to go their separate ways. Saleh just never seemed to be a big fan of Huff and I think the plan was to let Huff walk the moment we drafted McDonald. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

FWIW, I'm devastated about Huff, but I'm not convinced it was entirely a money thing with Huff. Huff made very telling comments on Black Monday about wanting to find a scheme that let him play more. I genuinely don't think that Saleh believes in Huff as an every down player and thinks McDonald will be better long term. Saleh just never seemed to be a big fan of Huff and I think the plan was to let Huff walk the moment we drafted McDonald. 

The Jets drafted McDonald because they were caught flat footed when Pittsburgh traded up for Jones. Don’t give the Jets that type of credit for forward thinking. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

To sum it up, the Jets let their best pass rusher leave to sign a guard, a bust backup DT and a backup QB.

They're probably going to sign some more players.

And deciding to finally spend on offense shouldn't be met with so much hostility.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets drafted McDonald because they were caught flat footed when Pittsburgh traded up for Jones. Don’t give the Jets that type of credit for forward thinking. 

I disagree. I think the Jets were planning to get what they could out of Huff in AR's first year and then let him walk from the moment they drafted McDonald. 

Both JD and Saleh seemed lukewarm in their praise of Huff and Saleh went out of his way to hype up McDonald late last year. 

Another thing to remember is that Huff only had 7.5 sacks (across his first three seasons in limited playing time) entering last year. If anything, I think the appropriate criticism of Saleh and JD is not realizing what they had in Huff soon enough and not giving him enough playing time (which comes down to whether you think he can play the run effectively enough on earlier downs - the Jets clearly didn't)

• Upvote 2

Simpson seems to be a pretty good pick up.  The tapes show he knows how to play the position way better than Tomlinson.  But one thing I don’t get is all the hate for carter.  I think whatever the former players said has to be better understood.  From what I can tell the guy is a task master and treats vets and rookies the same.  One player complained about carter not treating him the way he wanted.  But that same player didn’t say Carter didn’t know how to coach or know the positions.  I think the biggest concern is if the injuries continue to keep players out of the lineup.

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I disagree. I think the Jets were planning to get what they could out of Huff in AR's first year and then let him walk from the moment they drafted McDonald. 

Both JD and Saleh seemed lukewarm in their praise of Huff and Saleh went out of his way to hype up McDonald late last year. 

Another thing to remember is that Huff only had 7.5 sacks (across his first three seasons in limited playing time) entering last year. If anything, I think the appropriate criticism of Saleh and JD is not realizing what they had in Huff soon enough and not giving him enough playing time (which comes down to whether you think he can play the run effectively enough on earlier downs - the Jets clearly didn't)

None of this explains not bringing him back. You need 3 edges. Pay the premium position or franchise tag him. Zero sense.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Matt39 said:

None of this explains not bringing him back. You need 3 edges. Pay the premium position or franchise tag him. Zero sense.

I would have prioritized bringing him back. I'm with you. 

I'm just arguing that the Jets don't like him anywhere near as much as we do and never looked at him as a longterm answer, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Huff is pretty light for dline.  He had the speed and quickness to give the pass protector fits but that doesn’t necessarily translate to the run defense.  At his size he should’ve been able to voter a te or rb.

Just now, slimjasi said:

I'm just arguing that the Jets don't like him anywhere near as much as we do and never looked at him as a longterm answer, IMO. 

They don’t like him at 20 million per.  Maybe if he was down around twelve he’d still be a jet.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

And the Jets have no idea what they’re doing, so there’s that.

• Haha 1

Right off the bat, this seems like a more reasonable signing of a G than Tomlinson was (too much money for a G when you have crappy OT and AVT manning LG). Even so, I guess this is a young guy getting "paid," so there's always the risk that whatever drove him hard to succeed fades now that's making some serious coin. Hopefully he doesn't lose his edge/get lazy, or whatever it is that cause some players who get a good contract to suddenly regress to crap.

I really wanted the Jets to move AVT back to LG since he's had two serious season ending injuries since move to the right side, and particularly at RT. Please tell me he's now the RG, or that he'll go back to LG and this new guy slides to RG.

39 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

To sum it up, the Jets let their best pass rusher leave to sign a guard, a bust backup DT and a backup QB.

or....we traded a part time player to fill 2 potentially 3 starting spots on the roster.  Perspective

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

or....we traded a part time player to fill 2 potentially 3 starting spots on the roster.  Perspective

A player who creates 4th downs by being a  3rd down closer is not a part time player. That also makes everyone on the Jets front 7 part time players

John Simpson is a B plus run blocker, a C plus pass blocker and penalty prone 

I like the fact that the ravens brought him in for cheap last season and he beat out like 2 draft picks for the LG spot. He's a competitor. 

He's a good not great player and should be better than laken who played like he was already retired 

I like this move but make no mistake this Jets line is not going to be good next year. Even if they bring in bakh and draft ot at 10. It's a huge rebuilding project and those take time to gel 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

You realize we still need two OTs and a WR2(among a few other positions), right?  Just because the first moves were a guard and a backup QB doesn't somehow translate to "we let Huff walk for a guard and a backup QB".  You're purposely being obtuse.  

Shawshank Redemption GIF

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Jets make the playoffs last year with Tyrod Taylor.

Sounds like a good day of free agency to me.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, AFJF said:

As I've mentioned many times before, offensive players across the board tend to get worse when they come here and play better when they leave.

I don't agree with your conclusions.  AVT, when healthy, plays close to an all-pro level.  Tippman, who was a rookie last season, seemed to play well down the stretch.  

Players who play on this offensive line, and get moved to another team, may very well play better due to factors such as growth, more cohesive line with less injuries, or many other factors. 

Duane Brown came here and played great in his first season, then not well due to injuries or age.  

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

A player who creates 4th downs by being a  3rd down closer is not a part time player. That also makes everyone on the Jets front 7 part time players

he was a 3rd down pass rusher...i.e. part time. as in, there are 4 downs, he plays 1 of them possibly 2.

Just now, Maxman said:

Jets make the playoffs last year with Tyrod Taylor.

Sounds like a good day of free agency to me.

They make the playoffs with Mike White too, who’s roughly making half of what overpaying for Tyrod would have been.