Assuming the Jets can find a Trade Partner...

If we are trading back, it should be with the goal of picking up a second round pick.

So, I’d go to somewhere around 16-20 which gives us a mid to late 2nd.

Personally, I want us to go up to 8 if one of the WRs is there. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

If we are trading back, it should be with the goal of picking up a second round pick.

So, I’d go to somewhere around 16-20 which gives us a mid to late 2nd.

Personally, I want us to go up to 8 if one of the WRs is there. 

Also possible to flip their 3rd for a 2nd to move back.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I think anything past 15 is getting dicey on missing out on some of the OL. But that small of a move back is not getting you a 2nd round pick. 

Guyton, Jackson-Powers, Mims, Brian Thomas............Penix??

Penix would go great with Kuntz......

44 minutes ago, sciond said:

Penix would go great with Kuntz......

Sack on Penix while attempting a completion to Kuntz 🤣 - Yes I have now regressed to the 8th grade.  All kidding aside ,, if we can move up into the 2nd to grab that kid I would be psyched. (only if he SITS FOR A SEASON)

Edited by Dunnie
  • Haha 1

So I really love the idea of this. Trading back a few picks and grabbing a 2nd. Even if that means giving up our 3rd to do this.

Go Bowers with our trade back 1st and going Morgan at OT with our 2nd.

Only interested if we can get a crazy Jamal Adams like trade.

Their 1st and a next year 1st or at least a 1st and a 2nd of this year.

I don't actually think JD has been awful at getting draft capital, just a case of what value is there. 

Equally, don't want them to bolt If Alt, Ozoune are there... nor sure I have same reluctance for Bowers mind

5 hours ago, derp said:

I’m not entirely sure the Jets have enough spots that make sense for rookies (versus further veteran acquisitions) to roster all of their picks as things stand now so I’m not entirely convinced they’ll want to add more, though you can argue they could move back in the first and then up later with the added draft capital which I’d potentially buy depending on how they go about it.

I think adding a premium pick far outweighs a couple of 5th and 6th round selections for roster spots.

However, yes, adding draft capital to move up later is much cheaper option I'm regards to draft capital.

1 hour ago, hawk said:

I think adding a premium pick far outweighs a couple of 5th and 6th round selections for roster spots.

However, yes, adding draft capital to move up later is much cheaper option I'm regards to draft capital.

I don’t really know what third pick meaningfully moves the needle, but I’d guess if they have one it gets used on a DB or edge and fans rage.

37 minutes ago, derp said:

I don’t really know what third pick meaningfully moves the needle, but I’d guess if they have one it gets used on a DB or edge and fans rage.

They could possibly pick a 2nd, however, 2 3's can get you a 2.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, hawk said:

I could see the jets sliding back a few spots, picking up a 3 and taking either bowers or a tackle.  Then depending on which position they didn’t take in round 1, they’d try to use those 2 3s and get the other position.  That’s assuming a top 3 wr doesn’t fall to 10

1 hour ago, hawk said:

Yup, that’s why I said in the post you originally quoted I said I’d buy the idea that trading down allows them to move up later.

15 minutes ago, derp said:

Yup, that’s why I said in the post you originally quoted I said I’d buy the idea that trading down allows them to move up later.

Sorry, didn't remember the whole bouncing ball trail.

11 minutes ago, hawk said:

Sorry, didn't remember the whole bouncing ball trail.

All good. I also think if they trade down it’s for a tackle but I’m not really sure any WR in that early to mid round two range stands out. Maybe Keon Coleman or something.

I think it all depends on compensation ... Hell pie in the sky ... id sell my 1st round 10 for two 2s and a 3 this year and a 1 and 2 next year.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, slats said:

Massive assumption. Hard to see many trade back opportunities that don’t involve a QB, but I suspect four QBs to go before #10, basically nullifying that option. 

Wasn't Justin Fields traded up for at #11 in 21'?  The last time there was the "incredible" QB draft class and we thought 4 maybe 5 QB's would go in the top 10?

#10 is a good place to be in the likelihood that at least one of the QB's will fall causing teams to start picking up the phone.

Worst case for our pick at #10 - 4 QBs, 3 WRs, and Alt are all gone.  Probably a 50-50 chance that happens.  In that scenario, there may not be anyone really worth trading up for at 10, and there may not be any player really right for us either.  We'd have to 'overdraft' someone a little and the board will hate it, but I don't know there's anything else JD can do in that scenario.  

This is why I'm not completely against conditionally trading up to 9 or even 8 to get Odunze if he's much more valuable to the 2024 Jets than Bowers or any OT not named Alt.  I'm not saying he is, but if the team feels that way, then it has to be a deal they are exploring.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Worst case for our pick at #10 - 4 QBs, 3 WRs, and Alt are all gone.  Probably a 50-50 chance that happens.  In that scenario, there may not be anyone really worth trading up for at 10, and there may not be any player really right for us either.  We'd have to 'overdraft' someone a little and the board will hate it, but I don't know there's anything else JD can do in that scenario.  

This is why I'm not completely against conditionally trading up to 9 or even 8 to get Odunze if he's much more valuable to the 2024 Jets than Bowers or any OT not named Alt.  I'm not saying he is, but if the team feels that way, then it has to be a deal they are exploring.

If the majority of mocks are right, then the jets will be looking at fashanu and bowers, maybe another OL.  In these scenarios if they don’t trade back i would think a guy like fashanu is the pick, and they just say ok we have our brick for the next decade.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

If the majority of mocks are right, then the jets will be looking at fashanu and bowers, maybe another OL.  In these scenarios if they don’t trade back i would think a guy like fashanu is the pick, and they just say ok we have our brick for the next decade.

I can't offer any wisdom on which OT after Alt is best.

But would you rather:

a) draft Fashanu, or 

b) draft Odunze at 9 and give up our higher 4th round pick.

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

But would you rather:

a) draft Fashanu, or 

B, though i doubt the bears would do that.  I just don’t think so.  I’m assuming 3 qbs, 3 wrs and alt are gone and that’s that.  Maybe mccarthy too, maybe not.  

Vikings Broncos Raiders and Saints all are in play for a QB. Two of them will jump into the top 10. I think Nix is higher on draft boards than we think. Penix too. I can see a team reaching for one of them while giving up a 3rd to get to #9 or 10.

Just now, tdoublee said:

Vikings Broncos Raiders and Saints all are in play for a QB. Two of them will jump into the top 10. I think Nix is higher on draft boards than we think. Penix too. I can see a team reaching for one of them while giving up a 3rd to get to #9 or 10.

It all depends on whether the teams in the top 9 are up for trading back that much.  It could be tenn wants alt and atlanta wants the top edge guy and these teams may have to wait.  Or it could be the jets are in a coveted spot.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

B, though i doubt the bears would do that.  I just don’t think so.  I’m assuming 3 qbs, 3 wrs and alt are gone and that’s that.  Maybe mccarthy too, maybe not.  

I figure if the Bears would take Odunze, they will take him.  They aren't trading down for a mid-round pick.

But if they want *anyone* else (Turner or Verse or an OT), then it's free money for them and they still 100% get the guy they do want.  If they drop any lower, there's risk.  So it really depends on CHI having a clear target that isn't Odunze.  

The other option is ATL at 8.  They could definitely trade down as they are likely to want one of the Edges.  The risk to them is if we move up and take Odunze, it increases the odds of CHI taking one so if ATL has a clear preference, that's risky and will cost us more (probably our 3rd or a 4th plus a 2025 pick).  

Really sucks that in a year where we need a WR, everyone else seems to and nobody in the top-10 really needs defense as much.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I figure if the Bears would take Odunze, they will take him.  They aren't trading down for a mid-round pick.

But if they want *anyone* else (Turner or Verse or an OT), then it's free money for them and they still 100% get the guy they do want.  If they drop any lower, there's risk.  So it really depends on CHI having a clear target that isn't Odunze.  

The other option is ATL at 8.  They could definitely trade down as they are likely to want one of the Edges.  The risk to them is if we move up and take Odunze, it increases the odds of CHI taking one so if ATL has a clear preference, that's risky and will cost us more (probably our 3rd or a 4th plus a 2025 pick).  

Really sucks that in a year where we need a WR, everyone else seems to and nobody in the top-10 really needs defense as much.

Yet, if tenn trades back, then alt will probably fall to 10.  So i think there’s other ways the jets win besides trading up for rome.  

3 minutes ago, tdoublee said:

I just can't see it.  in years with lots of QBs, some always drop out of the top-10.  Watson, Lamar, Fields, 

But you raise a nightmare scenario.  5 QBs, 3 WRs and Alt in the top-9.  Could we be more cursed?

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I just can't see it.  in years with lots of QBs, some always drop out of the top-10.  Watson, Lamar, Fields, 

But you raise a nightmare scenario.  5 QBs, 3 WRs and Alt in the top-9.  Could we be more cursed?

If that happens then there’s only 1 qb left and a team will want that guy. 

On 4/8/2024 at 10:27 AM, slats said:

Massive assumption. Hard to see many trade back opportunities that don’t involve a QB, but I suspect four QBs to go before #10, basically nullifying that option. 

why do ppl keep repeating this nonsense?

Trades happen all the time! trading up to 10 is totally on the table. dont get smart and say "oh year, who?' because it can be anybody AFTER 10

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

how is that cursed? we get the #2 OL the guy with the funny name

Just now, HighPitch said:

how is that cursed? we get the #2 OL the guy with the funny name

Is there any real consensus on who the #2 OL is?  If not, picking at the top of that tier isn't exactly where you want to be.

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Atlanta has their full load of picks plus a couple extra, and they’ve loaded up on offense already. They’re in position to take the first defender off the board and I don’t expect them to pass on that. 

Chicago, otoh, only has four picks. I imagine they’ll be taking calls to trade back and collect more. If that’s what they want to do, like the Jets, they’ll be hoping that one of Minny, Denver, Oakland, or New Orleans is really excited to overpay for the fourth or fifth QB taken. 

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

why do ppl keep repeating this nonsense?

Trades happen all the time! trading up to 10 is totally on the table. dont get smart and say "oh year, who?' because it can be anybody AFTER 10

Why do people keep repeating this nonsense? 

As if you can snap your fingers and make trades appear. The Jets obviously tried to move down last year but -guess what?- they weren’t able to find a partner! That partner needs to not only be offering enough, but also sitting in a slot suitable for whoever JD is looking to take. 

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Is there any real consensus on who the #2 OL is?  If not, picking at the top of that tier isn't exactly where you want to be.

I’m not 100% sure there’s a consensus on #1. 

Okay, here's what you do:
Trade down to between 13-23. ONLY if you get a 2nd round pick. 
Draft whatever top OL is available. THEN trade back up with your 2nd and 3rd and take Mitchell or McConkey at WR.
Easy peasy.

Legette and Pearsall are both better IMO. Plus, you do not to trade up for them.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

But would you rather:

a) draft Fashanu, or 

A is an ok option.

B is a better option, especially for 2024.  Odunze will win the Jets a few games.  Fashanu may not.   Fashanu may not be much better than Carter Warren in 2024.  We can pick a Patrick Paul or Rosengarten in round 3.  

C, which would be Bowers, would be terrible.