Red Flag Considerations on Top Jets Targets

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Hitting a WR in stride allows them to gain the extra step (sometimes a lot more!) and fall forward.  Same type of thing.

yes many of todays quick outs screens or slants are tightly choreographed ,
and teams clock these prospects to the fraction of a second to gain that step,
meanwhile bad passing turns your 4.4 slot guy into a 5.0

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yup. It’s tear down cycle time lol

They have nothing left to talk about and 2 weeks to go lol

Yup. In regards to Nabers… it really is hit or miss with guys who might have off the field issues. For some they get there crap together. And others not.

Randy Miss wasn’t exactly a great guy. And really that’s why he slipped in the draft. But he got his crap together.

A guy like Henry Riggs had 0 problems and was looked at as a great kid. And now he’s going to go to jail for quite some time.

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Also, this QB class stinks. Caleb will get everyone fired. I hope the Patriots on the heels of firing the best coach of all time select Maye or Daniels too.

I agree with Keyshawn.

I like Jayden better than Caleb.

Cosell also noted Williams didn’t exactly prove himself in terms of being able to execute timing and rhythm plays from the pocket.

The 2nd reaction schoolyard plays will be there but as we saw with ZW that doesn’t exactly make up for everything else.

Caleb will also take a hundred sacks behind that bad OL.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yup. In regards to Nabers… it really is hit or miss with guys who might have off the field issues. For some they get there crap together. And others not.

Randy Miss wasn’t exactly a great guy. And really that’s why he slipped in the draft. But he got his crap together.

A guy like Henry Riggs had 0 problems and was looked at as a great kid. And now he’s going to go to jail for quite some time.

LOL

Guess I appreciate Jet fan Tony Pauline putting the negativity on Nabers out there.

So many alpha elite WRs are egotistical divas.  Comes with the territory.

As long as he’s not getting into trouble off the field, I don’t really care and neither should JD.

I mean Terrell Owens?  Prime Ocho Cinco?  AB?

10 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

Guess I appreciate Jet fan Tony Pauline putting the negativity on Nabers out there.

So many alpha elite WRs are egotistical divas.  Comes with the territory.

As long as he’s not getting into trouble off the field, I don’t really care and neither should JD.

I mean Terrell Owens?  Prime Ocho Cinco?  AB?

These next 10 days and such will be BS. Reports with no validity. People making crap up pretty much. Which really needs to be penalized in the journalism world. A player can’t just say whatever he wants to a reporter without possible consequences. Same should be done for journalists

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, chirorob said:

But hand size?

I mean.  His woman might be dissapointed.  But a large checking account can cover that.

Quite frankly this was my thoughts on OT (which is what I think we draft at 10 or trade back).

I’ll eliminate Alt from this conversation since he’s likely not there for us.

Strictly on talent I think Fuaga is the best OT after alt in this draft. Problem is… is he’s only played RT. Isn’t the reasoning for drafting a OT early that obviously  we’d like a long term guy there, but insurance behind Smith? Fuaga has never played LT. So he’s likely not next man up there. Warren likely is.

Fashanu is a LT. But this graphic does show that pretty much no guys with that small of hands have ever been good in the nfl. Is that the best way to just do no thank you to him? Probably not. But certainly worrisome. It’s optimistic to think he’d be the only guy with hands that small that will be great.

Fautanu is versatile. And quite frankly if I had to bet today I think he’s our pick. But his run blocking is just bad. As well as the obvious with him that he might not even be able to play at OT. He isn’t very tall. So he’d he drafted pretty much in case AVT gets injured again.

Why are we drafting backups at 10th overall on a win now team?

If I had it my way I’m going weapon. Odunze if there or Bowers

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Quite frankly this was my thoughts on OT (which is what I think we draft at 10 or trade back).

Strictly on talent I think Fuaga is the best OT after alt in this draft. Problem is… is he’s only played RT. Isn’t the reasoning for drafting a OT early that obviously  we’d like a long term guy there, but insurance behind Smith? Fuaga has never played LT. So he’s likely not next man up there. Warren likely is.

Fashanu is a LT. But this graphic does show that pretty much no guys with that small of hands have ever been good in the nfl. Is that the best way to just do no thank you to him? Probably not. But certainly worrisome. It’s optimistic to think he’d be the only guy with hands that small that will be great.

Fautanu is versatile. And quite frankly if I had to bet today I think he’s our pick. But his run blocking is just bad. As well as the obvious with him that he might not even be able to play at OT. He isn’t very tall. So he’d he drafted pretty much in case AVT gets injured again.

Fuaga seems like a plug and play RT for a decade and i would have no issue with that if it’s what they do.  If they go OL i think it’s him, if alt doesn’t somehow make it to 10.  I think it’s fuaga or bowers.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Fuaga seems like a plug and play RT for a decade and i would have no issue with that if it’s what they do.  If they go OL i think it’s him, if alt doesn’t somehow make it to 10.  I think it’s fuaga or bowers.

A rookie OT isn’t starting over Moses. There’s such a small chance that happens.

Look at our staff and how they handle rookies. Tippmann didn’t even start at C. McDonald got like 5 snaps a game at max to start the season. Izzy barely touched the ball. Etc.

And it 100% matters what’s ahead of them. a solid vet OT that can be trusted on a. Win now team will absolutely start over a rookie.

4 hours ago, cat999 said:

Similar to what was done with Bowers, Blewett did an extensive breakdown on Odunze.  Main issue was his ability to beat press coverage and his so-so route running which limited the separation he could generate.  Despite that red flag, I am all in on Odunze.  Think he will contribute year one and only get better with more refinement on his route running

Problem is, he's going to need to do exactly that in the NFL: run good routes, and face press coverage. Sounds like Mims II to me.

• Hands shoot from low too often in run game
  • Doesn’t roll hips in run game
  • Can struggle vs. NFL power
  • Doesn’t finish blocks
  • Lacks nasty
  • High-waisted, which hurts in leverage game
  • Splashed in run game too often
  • Needs to bring feet into run blocks
  • Doesn’t always “cover” play side gap in run game

Gee sounds just like D'Brickahsaw Ferguson, 10 year from high level to pro bowl LT

But gee he is not an aggressive run blocker so big red flag.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

An argument for Fuaga - perhaps, if Smith goes down, it ends up being Moses or even AVT who moves to LT? I know the Jets are trying to keep AVT at RG, but injuries are injuries.

I'm a little worried (but not a lot) about Fashanu. A top 10 tackle should not be a guy who needs significant development. If we trade back then take him, I will feel better. Similar for fatuanu - I actually like him.better as a prospect, especially knowing he could be useful as a Guard year 1 too. I'd strongly prefer the Jets moved back before drafting either though, or ideally takes Odunze if available. 

Like the board itself, I'm very divided on Bowers. He is not going to be our best run blocking TE year 1, maybe even not our best route running TE. I question whether we'll get top 10 value out of a guy who's basically going to need to be our oversize slot WR, when we already have one in Lazard. I recognize Bowers strengths but a TE going top 10 needs to be nearly HOF level to justify that... if the Jets do go that route (which I somewhat doubt based on JDs history) I will just hope they're right. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

An argument for Fuaga - perhaps, if Smith goes down, it ends up being Moses or even AVT who moves to LT? I know the Jets are trying to keep AVT at RG, but injuries are injuries.

I'm a little worried (but not a lot) about Fashanu. A top 10 tackle should not be a guy who needs significant development. If we trade back then take him, I will feel better. Similar for fatuanu - I actually like him.better as a prospect, especially knowing he could be useful as a Guard year 1 too. I'd strongly prefer the Jets moved back before drafting either though, or ideally takes Odunze if available. 

Like the board itself, I'm very divided on Bowers. He is not going to be our best run blocking TE year 1, maybe even not our best route running TE. I question whether we'll get top 10 value out of a guy who's basically going to need to be our oversize slot WR, when we already have one in Lazard. I recognize Bowers strengths but a TE going top 10 needs to be nearly HOF level to justify that... if the Jets do go that route (which I somewhat doubt based on JDs history) I will just hope they're right. 

Staff has been adamant that AVT will rehab, train and have 1 position he’s going to play this year. That they feel him moving is what has had something to do with his injuries. The way we attacked FA… It would appear we think that spot is RG. He’s not being moved to OT, is what I’m saying and the staff has showed in FA.

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:
  • Hands shoot from low too often in run game
  • Doesn’t roll hips in run game
  • Can struggle vs. NFL power
  • Doesn’t finish blocks
  • Lacks nasty
  • High-waisted, which hurts in leverage game
  • Splashed in run game too often
  • Needs to bring feet into run blocks
  • Doesn’t always “cover” play side gap in run game

Gee sounds just like D'Brickahsaw Ferguson, 10 year from high level to pro bowl LT

But gee he is not an aggressive run blocker so big red flag.

Na. Brick was hands down the best OT in his class. His weight was the only thing questioned. Next OT in that draft was drafted like 35 picks later

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

They drafted Becton over Wirfs cause they need a left tackle.    

Now, wirfs is a left tackle, and Becton is out of a job.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Na. Brick was hands down the best OT in his class. His weight was the only thing questioned. Next OT in that draft was drafted like 35 picks later

What do you mean na?

All of these nit pickings of these players are of all the top players.  Alt is too tall, Fashanu is not a great run blocker.  D'Brick was the top tackle and not viewed as a dominant run blocker, the same stuff they are beefing at with fashanu.

D'Brick was never a dominant run blocker but was a prime pass blocker, which is the important thing. 

So as I said earlier, the things these top end players do well trumps the few things they do not do well.

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I remember when I was in deep, dark love with Mike White and I was looking at his stats when everyone was trashing his “weak” arm. You know who was always right there with his depth of target and short accuracy? Pat Mahomes. There’s a lot to be said for matriculating the ball down the field when you have to. 

Mike White would have had last years team in the playoffs after Rodgers went down. However we had Zach!

• Post of the Week 2

32 minutes ago, chirorob said:

They drafted Becton over Wirfs cause they need a left tackle.    

Now, wirfs is a left tackle, and Becton is out of a job.

Reading more about all these tackles, you begin to focus on the faults rather than the positives.  But for the jets i think fuaga makes the most sense, and I’m not surprised they were rumored to like him.  

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What do you mean na?

All of these nit pickings of these players are of all the top players.  Alt is too tall, Fashanu is not a great run blocker.  D'Brick was the top tackle and not viewed as a dominant run blocker, the same stuff they are beefing at with fashanu.

D'Brick was never a dominant run blocker but was a prime pass blocker, which is the important thing. 

So as I said earlier, the things these top end players do well trumps the few things they do not do well.

I don't disagree with anything else you've said here, but I wonder about the pass v run blocking thing going forward.

I'm not arguing for a Connor McDermitt/Mekhi Becton 2024 pass blocker @ tackle, i.e. a turnstyle, but I might prefer a dominant run blocking tackle that's an average pass blocker. 

The d-lines are so dope in this league, the use of stunts and rush packages, and proliferation of quick-hitter plays from the offense/emphasis on time to throw or QB mobility all make me feel like the most "straight-up" plays where o-lineman shine are on running downs.

3rd and 8's are important to convert but I don't want to build my offense on converting those.

I could be wrong about all of this, but I'm just thinking out loud. 

39 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I don't disagree with anything else you've said here, but I wonder about the pass v run blocking thing going forward.

I'm not arguing for a Connor McDermitt/Mekhi Becton 2024 pass blocker @ tackle, i.e. a turnstyle, but I might prefer a dominant run blocking tackle that's an average pass blocker. 

The d-lines are so dope in this league, the use of stunts and rush packages, and proliferation of quick-hitter plays from the offense/emphasis on time to throw or QB mobility all make me feel like the most "straight-up" plays where o-lineman shine are on running downs.

3rd and 8's are important to convert but I don't want to build my offense on converting those.

I could be wrong about all of this, but I'm just thinking out loud. 

If you have a competent center and good run blocking guards you should have a good run game, is it nice to have good run blocking tackles? 

Sure but guys like trent williams are rare.   Step one have good pass blocking tackles.  There are a lot of Becton type tackles, pretty  good run blocking, okay pass blocking if they are blocking non pass rushing ends, stick a dominant pass rusher in there are your Qb is dead.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

What do you mean na?

They also study these prospects in more depth each year. 

6 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I agree with Keyshawn.

Cosell also noted Williams didn’t exactly prove himself in terms of being able to execute timing and rhythm plays from the pocket.

The 2nd reaction schoolyard plays will be there but as we saw with ZW that doesn’t exactly make up for everything else.

Look the Zach ship has sailed, but I was thinking the other day that Zach never really had a shot. Everyone was so amazed that Baltimore built an offense around their QB, but no one ever thinks about it in terms of a pocket passer. Zach was good at throwing to the edge, deep and in space and making off scheme plays. He was bad even in college at line of scrimmage throws and between the numbers. So what was he asked to do for the last 3 years? Almost exclusively throw short passes at or behind the LOS and in the middle of the field. He had no chance. Maybe he would have still failed if the offense was built around him but the offense we had was literally the opposite of what he needed.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I agree with Keyshawn.

Why I keep thinking the Bears' move at 9 is "best OL on the board" not "draft a guy to be our No. 3 WR"

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

3/5 of our starting OL and our WR2 have been replaced before we've even had the draft.  And that's for a HOF QB.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No team should ever try to improve ever 

That's just an insincere response.  Do you really think our OL and our WRs behind GW were even close to acceptable last year?  

FWIW the jets apparently love Odunze more than any other name on that list. If he's gone, moving back likely becomes preferred if a deal is there... Best fit at OT is theme at that point. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That's just an insincere response.  Do you really think our OL and our WRs behind GW were even close to acceptable last year?  

For the first 5-6 games absolutely.  And Zach sucked a$$ in those too, so….

BTJ deserves to be a day 2 pick at best.

Somebody will reach for him based on size-speed profile and the 17 TD.

But like Josh Norris says here, he basically ran 2 routes in college:  a go or a hitch.  He’s a poor man’s George Pickens or Will Fuller if you’re lucky.

No in-breakers or out-breakers.  Zero YAC.  Not powerful despite his size, and not elusive after catch and gets tackled easily on first contact.

https://youtu.be/A4WPy_KK_fM?si=KwvQJjTjv7FTEJnu