first look at jets new uniforms

New article on how the 2019 design went down:

UW: You mentioned in one of our previous discussions that an owner would sometimes say, “I want you to give me something that’s never been done before.” Did Woody Johnson say that, or have any other particular requests or demands?

Andrich: He probably did say that. The curious thing about him was that from the beginning, you could kind of tell he was a little conflicted about doing a new uniform. Because one minute he would say he wanted something new. But then he’d also say, “You know what’s a good uniform? The one I have.” So as a designer, that would be kind of confusing. 

Also, we got into this philosophical discussion about what is cool. He kept saying, “I just want it to be cool.” But then he’d talk to himself and say, “Well, how do I know it’s cool? Who’s gonna tell me it’s cool? How do we know? Are you guys gonna tell me it’s cool?” So it was this back and forth of a question that you can’t really answer.

At one point I said, “Cool is something where you know it when you see it.” And he acted like I had just answered the big question.

UW: You’d split the atom.

Andrich: Yes, exactly. Even though it’s not really anything to say something like that. But he pointed and said, “Yes, that’s it, you know it when you see it.” So he left that meeting feeling pumped, like he was gonna get something cool. 

IMG_0616.jpeg

IMG_0617.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

UW: You mentioned in one of our previous discussions that an owner would sometimes say, “I want you to give me something that’s never been done before.” Did Woody Johnson say that, or have any other particular requests or demands?

Andrich: He probably did say that. The curious thing about him was that from the beginning, you could kind of tell he was a little conflicted about doing a new uniform. Because one minute he would say he wanted something new. But then he’d also say, “You know what’s a good uniform? The one I have.” So as a designer, that would be kind of confusing. 

Also, we got into this philosophical discussion about what is cool. He kept saying, “I just want it to be cool.” But then he’d talk to himself and say, “Well, how do I know it’s cool? Who’s gonna tell me it’s cool? How do we know? Are you guys gonna tell me it’s cool?” So it was this back and forth of a question that you can’t really answer.

At one point I said, “Cool is something where you know it when you see it.” And he acted like I had just answered the big question.

Andrich: Yes, exactly. Even though it’s not really anything to say something like that. But he pointed and said, “Yes, that’s it, you know it when you see it.” So he left that meeting feeling pumped, like he was gonna get something cool. 

IMG_0616.jpeg

Well that looks awful

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

IMG_0616.jpeg

Shaking My Head GIF by Grammarly.com

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The image on the left was the last iteration before the final one on the right. Would have been better 

IMG_0618.jpeg

Nah. That’s even worse. 

I honestly don’t think the new ones are so bad. It’s just the logo was terrible. I don’t know why it was such a struggle to create a new concept. 

• Upvote 2

To sum up what happened- the Jets submitted to the league to change uniforms in 2015. Woody met with Nike and kept changing his mind (and liked the old uniforms and wasn’t sold on changing) then once he got the ambassador job he wasn’t involved and the Jets went with the last ones Nike drew up

Just now, Matt39 said:

To sum up what happened- the Jets submitted to the league to change uniforms in 2015. Woody met with Nike and kept changing his mind (and liked the old uniforms and wasn’t sold on changing) then once he got the ambassador job he wasn’t involved and the Jets went with the last ones Nike drew up

He liked them so much that he didn't go back to them.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Lol. Chris Johnson was like, ‘this is it! This is my time! The fans will love me!’

Wayne Knight Laughing GIF

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Nah. That’s even worse. 

I honestly don’t think the new ones are so bad. It’s just the logo was terrible. I don’t know why it was such a struggle to create a new concept. 

Agreed.  The chest stripe was embarrassingly bad too, btw.

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Source for all this?

Oh, right.  Silly me.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

IMG_0616.jpeg

IMG_0617.jpeg

Everytime I read or see something that makes me think Woody Johnson can't possibly be as dumb as he seems, anecdotes like this pop and confirm that he truly is that stupid. 

7 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Everytime I read or see something that makes me think Woody Johnson can't possibly be as dumb as he seems, anecdotes like this pop and confirm that he truly is that stupid. 

There’s more!

Andrich: Well, going back to that first meeting, he [Johnson] pulled out his iPhone. And you know there are the phone and messaging icons on the home screen in that bright green? He points at those and goes, “I want my uniform to look like this. See how bright the green is? See the energy on this phone?” He thought that represented newness and youth and everything that he wanted in his uniform. He thought his other green, the one he already had, was too dark, too conservative, and he wanted something brighter.

13 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

That's accurate.

The kitchen in the house I grew up in was avocado. 

Sweet. We had harvest gold.

The whole development was built at the same time. Avocado or white were the other two color choices at the time, so lots of neighbors had each. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/17/2024 at 5:44 PM, islesmb said:

In the flesh…
IMG_2091.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg

IMG_2094.jpeg

Looks weird seeing the #5 on that jersey without the name Leahy on the back !! LOL! Beautiful jersey ! May you wear it to many many Super Bowl parades,

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The image on the left was the last iteration before the final one on the right. Would have been better 

IMG_0618.jpeg

I do like those better. The feature that set the Jets uniforms apart back in the ‘60s was the colors/numbers on the sleeve being the opposite of the body of the jersey. Maintaining that feature would’ve been a big plus for me. Also like the two-tone green- which I’m sure puts me in the minority, but I strongly prefer that to the black garbage they chose. 

Have to say, all in all, I’m pretty happy with the latest ones, though. I think the reflective green helmets were the best part of the last iteration. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I do like those better. The feature that set the Jets uniforms apart back in the ‘60s was the colors/numbers on the sleeve being the opposite of the body of the jersey. Maintaining that feature would’ve been a big plus for me. Also like the two-tone green- which I’m sure puts me in the minority, but I strongly prefer that to the black garbage they chose. 

Have to say, all in all, I’m pretty happy with the latest ones, though. I think the reflective green helmets were the best part of the last iteration. 

This was the original concept:

IMG_0619.jpeg

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, the prior bastardized logo aside, I do admit I like the green candy apple helmets. 

The light green door wedge in the mockup above didn't look so stupid as an accent/border to the green shoulder pads. Without it, it's just a wedge for no reason, since no one else saw the progression they saw to get to that point.

If it was supposed to mimic the tail edge of the 80s logo, it still badly misses the mark because there's no context to the side profile of the vertical stabilizer that made it a jet in the first place. "Here's our fresh new icon: a door wedge. Now we're the New York Door Wedges." Swing and a miss.

The contrasting fat/wide collar I guess is a Nike thing not specific to this design, but it still looks weird to me so far. Other than that, which is pretty minor anyway, it's a night & day improvement from the 2019s.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It was gonna be soooo much worse than what we got:

IMG_6906.jpeg

IMG_6907.jpeg

IMG_6908.jpeg

IMG_6909.jpeg

Lol, I hate the football in the logo. Like the Jets and the Bucs are the teams so bad at football that they have to remind their fans that they are actually playing the sport on their helmets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

IMG_6906.jpeg

IMG_6907.jpeg

IMG_6908.jpeg

IMG_6909.jpeg

Oy.  These look like a tenth grader did them on photoshop.  Nevertheless there would've been tons of morons on Jets Twitter (the worst place on earth) insisting FIRE UNIS BRO 🔥

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

IMG_6906.jpeg

IMG_6907.jpeg

IMG_6908.jpeg

IMG_6909.jpeg

It's almost like those charged with creating a logo for the Jets were allergic to the idea of using anything jet-like as a logo. They needed a football as the "thing" instead of anything airplane/fighter-jet related.

A city skyline plus its Stranger Things upside down world mirror image, inside a football-ish oval, was a serious offer over a jet? Things mirror when they're on water. I don't even know what this is supposed to be. Is the 2nd one supposed to be the statue of liberty? Guessing the other 4 are citi, empire state bldg, chrysler bldg, and the met life monolith, but that 2nd one looks more like a fist sticking out its middle finger, which would be a better idea than the buildings now that I think of it.

image.png

Never mind this one, which looks like something a 4th grader drew on notebook paper:

image.png

I mean, making team logos (or anything logos I guess) isn't what I do, but the idea that this is a high-end professional's work, submitted to be the face of a multi-billion-dollar enterprise, is just shameful.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Oy.  These look like a tenth grader did them on photoshop.  Nevertheless there would've been tons of morons on Jets Twitter (the worst place on earth) insisting FIRE UNIS BRO 🔥

Ha, 30 seconds later I said 4th grader...on notebook paper. ;) 

You're too kind.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ha, 30 seconds later I said 4th grader...on notebook paper. ;) 

You're too kind.

While I understand the football gripe (and have always wanted something jetplane-related as an accent or alternate logo), I think the Parcells-era logo nails it with simplicity and class.

image.png.454a85ffceffbbb9f0d2bfe9981ab3d2.png

Now, I say the Parcells-era logo because I have a question out there for all the logo-ologists, which I haven't found an answer for.  

The Parcells-era logo is superior to the 60's because the football and laces are proportional and make sense.

Does anyone know WTF was going on with the football in the 60's logo?  What the hell is the splotch where the laces were supposed to be?  Is this supposed to be Long Island or something?  Lol

Joe Namath Signed And Inscribed Number 12 Inscription Helmet Authentic Jets  Full Size Speed Helmet (JSA Witnessed)

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sweet. We had harvest gold.

The whole development was built at the same time. Avocado or white were the other two color choices at the time, so lots of neighbors had each. 

Caloric Avocado green or harvest gold 

Today most have the same boring stainless steel - just goes to show sometimes new and shiny is not better

What was the burnt brown color?