Bowers vs. Kincaid

32 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I'm a huge fan of Brock Bowers and think he should be the pick at 10, but "best college TE of all time" sounds like the kind of hyberbole you are railing against in your first paragraph

I am nowhere close to being expert on this subject, but I've seen enough written about him being the best college TE of all-time to make this at least a plausible take.  The more I read/watch, the more I warm up to this.  Which means we will take an OT of course.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

That is all pure and utter stupidity.  The fact that matters about Brock Bowers is; he looked to be, head and shoulders, the best player in college Football, playing on the best team in college Football, dominating the best conference in college Football.   You might not like this that and the other about Brock Bowers or that he plays TE and that's fine but the fact is, he was that good.  He was playing like the best offensive play maker in the game and the best college TE of all time.  

You do what that what you may w/ that fact...but this is all that matters when talking about Brock Bowers.

I will laugh so hard if the Giants take Bowers over Nabers or Odunze.

22 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I'm a huge fan of Brock Bowers and think he should be the pick at 10, but "best college TE of all time" sounds like the kind of hyberbole you are railing against in your first paragraph 

You know what, that's fair and in any other scenario, you're right, I'd be falling right into the pack that I hate.  Only difference is, I've been saying this for years and in this example, it's not hyperbole.  Brock Bowers is the best college TE I've ever seen.  Again, I've been saying he was the best player in college Football altogether for years, so it's not like I'm just throwing out a hot draft take to prop Bowers as a prospect.

I was a baby for Keith Jackson and not around for some of the others in consideration but in my life time, he's the best I've ever seen.  Witten, Miller, Shockey, Andrews, Gresham, Winslow Jr.....a few stand out there were unreal....but none were any thing like Brock Bowers. 

Not sure how to verify this w/out laboring research but I'd say w/ damn near certainty he has to be the most productive college TE of all time, as I dont believe there is a single TE prospect w/ his type of production over a 3 year period.  Maybe some FCS dude has, like Goedert comes to mind but that doesnt count.  I'd be surprised to learn Bowers doesnt have the most receptions, yards and TD's in FBS history.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

But he is the best college tight end of all time, and there really isn't anyone close.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This won't happen but if Bowers and Odunze slipped to Buffalo, Buffalo would run to the podium like a meth addict and take Bowers. They would then run 2 and 3 te sets until the cows come home and win multiple super bowls 

Bowers is the best player in the draft. He's a weapon. Stop the lunacy and just take Bowers. I personally don't even think he'll make it to ten. But ppl are extremely stupid 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Wait, Pitts was the best tight end ever just a couple years ago.  

JiF thinks Bowers is better? 

Pitts was ridiculous, just a freak, similar in they were basically big slot guys but he had nowhere near the career of Bowers. 

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

51 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I've been avoiding draft threads/topics as much as possible because we are in that stage during the stupid draft process where every moron in the world is making some stupid hot take that is completely and utterly illogical but hey, why not, and while I'm at it, peep this super original mock draft that I dont even believe will happen but nobody else had done it, so why not!  Besides, it doesnt matter if I get it wrong or right, I'm still an expert! 

Here is the fact about Brock Bowers that is all that matters and we dont need all these silly comparisons you want to make or draft proclamations you want to make or do and donts that you believe in or he better be this guy or that guy in the league.  That is all pure and utter stupidity.  The fact that matters about Brock Bowers is; he looked to be, head and shoulders, the best player in college Football, playing on the best team in college Football, dominating the best conference in college Football.   You might not like this that and the other about Brock Bowers or that he plays TE and that's fine but the fact is, he was that good.  He was playing like the best offensive play maker in the game and the best college TE of all time.  

You do what that what you may w/ that fact...but this is all that matters when talking about Brock Bowers.

Beautiful! 

1 hour ago, WhartonJet said:

How does Bowers compare as a prospect to Dalton Kincaid from last year's draft?  I remember wanting Kincaid at 15 because I thought he would be a weapon on offense.  Very fluid pass catcher with a knack for getting open.  Kincaid came in and had a solid rookie season for Buffalo (73 catches, 673 yards, 2 TDs).  Kincaid ended up being picked 25th.

Brock Bowers college stats:

Receiving                                        Rushing                            Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Georgia         175 2538 14.5 26 19 193 10.2 5 194 2731 14.1 31
*2021 Georgia SEC FR TE 15 56 882 15.8 13 4 56 14.0 1 60 938 15.6 14
*2022 Georgia SEC SO   15 63 942 15.0 7 9 109 12.1 3 72 1051 14.6 10
*2023 Georgia SEC SR TE 10 56 714 12.8 6 6 28 4.7 1 62 742 12.0 7

Dalton Kincaid college stats:

Receiving                                                      Rushing Scrimmage
Career Utah         107 1414 13.2 16 1 4 4.0 0 108 1418 13.1 16
2020 Utah Pac-12 JR TE 5 1 14 14.0 0 0 0   0 1 14 14.0 0
*2021 Utah Pac-12 JR TE 14 36 510 14.2 8 1 4 4.0 0 37 514 13.9 8
*2022 Utah Pac-12 SR   12 70 890 12.7 8 0 0   0 70 890 12.7 8

Obviously, Bowers did this in the SEC and came in and produced as a freshman on a loaded Georgia team while Kincaid came on later in his college career in the PAC-12.  I think everyone can agree Bowers is a much higher level prospect given his production against elite competition, so I don't understand why some people don't think he warrants the 10th pick in the draft.  I'd have no reservations taking him there.

I don't think it would be a horrible pick at #10, but it would be a bit underwhelming to me and feel like a 3rd place trophy.  He's the best TE in a subpar TE class but I haven't heard a single person say that the Jets would need to move up for him, that teams might "jump the Jets" for Bowers, etc.  In a one-player TE Draft you'd expect to hear some of that.  He just doesn't seem to be targeted by anyone, nobody is eager to "go get him" and it would feel like a bit of a consolation prize.

Again, I don't think it would be a disaster pick, I guess I'm just hoping the Jets could do a lot better with the limited Draft capital they have this year in a Draft that is loaded at OL and WR (two positions of need and higher positional value that TE). JMHO.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Kincaid is more Brent Jones or Jay Novaceck 

Bowers is a faster Gonzalez and a faster Kelce.

Again Bowers is possibly the best non qb player in the entire draft. It would be incredibly stupid to pass on him

" bUt tEs DoNT maKe A bIG iMpAcT" is the dumbest rhetoric yet when trying to apply it to Bowers. 

There are 2 players in this draft that I predict both will make the HOF.  Marvin Harrison Jr. and Brock Bowers.  If there was a third, it's Jayden Daniels and while I'm confident in him being great, I'm not going put the HOF tag on him but that's mostly because QB is so f'ing hard to predict. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

8 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Pitts was ridiculous, just a freak, similar in they were basically big slot guys but he had nowhere near the career of Bowers. 

Pitts was statistically dominant - playing only SEC teams - his last year at Florida to an extent that Bowers never reached in college.

I know you love Harrison too, I think they’re very different but struggle to think that Bowers was a better weapon.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, JustInFudge said:

If there was a third, it's Jayden Daniels and while I'm confident in him being great, I'm not going put the HOF tag on him but that's mostly because QB is so f'ing hard to predict. 

I don't know about HOF, but I agree Daniels will be the best QB in this class.

Caleb Williams is far from a lock.

They should have kept Fields and let them battle it out.  The 6th rounder in 2025 they got for him is freaking worthless.

6 minutes ago, derp said:

Pitts was statistically dominant - playing only SEC teams - his last year at Florida to an extent that Bowers never reached in college.

I know you love Harrison too, I think they’re very different but struggle to think that Bowers was a better weapon.

Pitts college stats:

Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Career Florida         100 1492 14.9 18 0 0   0 100 1492 14.9 18
*2018 Florida SEC FR TE 3 3 73 24.3 1 0 0   0 3 73 24.3 1
*2019 Florida SEC SO TE 13 54 649 12.0 5 0 0   0 54 649 12.0 5
*2020 Florida SEC JR TE 8 43 770 17.9 12 0 0   0 43 770 17.9 12

Bowers has a significant edge in production

5 minutes ago, derp said:

What in the world are you talking about, "to an extent that Bowers' never reached in college." Are you comparing Pitts' collegiate production to Bowers and claiming that Pitts was more dominant?

2 minutes ago, derp said:

Huh?  How do you figure?  Pitts went 43 - 770 - 12 that season as Jr.  Bowers freshman year went - 56 - 886 - 13, 4 - 56 - 1.  And that's not even taking into consideration the drastically different style of offense they played in, particularly that year for Mullen.  He was as YOLO as he's ever been that season w/ Trask.  That SEC champ game w/ him and that pusswah Mac Jones going back and forth was unreal.

Love Harrison but since he's been at OSU...how many of his WR room went in the first round?  How many of his Qb's went in the first round?  lol  Now do Georgia.  Maybe Ladd McConkey goes in the first?  Otherwise, George Pickens, who caught 5 passes Bowers freshman year...went in the what, 2nd round?  Yes, Bowers was the more impactful weapon for his team.  For sure.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Hopefully, the jints already know that Waller is retiring but they’re keeping it under wraps so as not to give away their pick. 

Bowers may be the greatest player in the history of college sports, but that doesn’t make taking a TE in the top ten any less risky. He literally -in the literal sense of the word- needs to be an all time great to justify the selection. Would anyone really be surprised if Bryan Thomas Jr. went on to have the more productive career? I wouldn’t. 

If the Jets do take Bowers, I’ll hope the fan club is right. I love a great TE. I still don’t think JD will pull the trigger, though. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Huh?  How do you figure?  Pitts went 43 - 770 - 12 that season as Jr.  Bowers freshman year went - 56 - 886 - 13, 4 - 56 - 1.  And that's not even taking into consideration the drastically different style of offense they played in, particularly that year for Mullen.  He was as YOLO as he's ever been that season w/ Trask.  That SEC champ game w/ him and that pusswah Mac Jones going back and forth was unreal.

Love Harrison but since he's been at OSU...how many of his WR room went in the first round?  How many of his Qb's went in the first round?  lol  Now do Georgia.  Maybe Ladd McConkey goes in the first?  Otherwise, George Pickens, who caught 5 passes Bowers freshman year...went in the what, 2nd round?  Yes, Bowers was the more impactful weapon for his team.  For sure.

On a per game basis Pitts as a junior was substantially more productive than any of Bowers’ years and it’s an abbreviated schedule with COVID and injuries. The stats are close but less so when you consider that you’re comparing 14 games to 8. Not intended to drag Bowers but I think Pitts’ last season gets hand waved too much.

If you’re going to go into them earlier careers Adonai Mitchell played two seasons with Bowers and is going in the first and Jermaine Burton led Alabama in receiving and spent time there. Plus multiple drafted running backs, first round OL, Darnell Washington. Neither player is hurting for supporting cast and you could argue that either way. More room to make an impact or more competition for targets. Harrison was more productive though and I’d expect that to continue.

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

What in the world are you talking about, "to an extent that Bowers' never reached in college." Are you comparing Pitts' collegiate production to Bowers and claiming that Pitts was more dominant?

Look at Pitts’ per game production his junior year - only against SEC teams - then show me when Bowers produced at that level on a game in game out basis.

1 hour ago, WhartonJet said:

Pitts college stats:

Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Career Florida         100 1492 14.9 18 0 0   0 100 1492 14.9 18
*2018 Florida SEC FR TE 3 3 73 24.3 1 0 0   0 3 73 24.3 1
*2019 Florida SEC SO TE 13 54 649 12.0 5 0 0   0 54 649 12.0 5
*2020 Florida SEC JR TE 8 43 770 17.9 12 0 0   0 43 770 17.9 12

Bowers has a significant edge in production

I specifically referred to his junior year. He played 8 games. Bowers never produced at that level per game. He dominated that season.

I’m not trying to rag on Bowers but bring up what Pitts did before he came out and how impressive it was.

2 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

How does Bowers compare as a prospect to Dalton Kincaid from last year's draft?  I remember wanting Kincaid at 15 because I thought he would be a weapon on offense.  Very fluid pass catcher with a knack for getting open.  Kincaid came in and had a solid rookie season for Buffalo (73 catches, 673 yards, 2 TDs).  Kincaid ended up being picked 25th.

Brock Bowers college stats:

Receiving                                        Rushing                            Scrimmage
Career Georgia         175 2538 14.5 26 19 193 10.2 5 194 2731 14.1 31
*2021 Georgia SEC FR TE 15 56 882 15.8 13 4 56 14.0 1 60 938 15.6 14
*2022 Georgia SEC SO   15 63 942 15.0 7 9 109 12.1 3 72 1051 14.6 10
*2023 Georgia SEC SR TE 10 56 714 12.8 6 6 28 4.7 1 62 742 12.0 7

Dalton Kincaid college stats:

Receiving                                                      Rushing Scrimmage
Career Utah         107 1414 13.2 16 1 4 4.0 0 108 1418 13.1 16
2020 Utah Pac-12 JR TE 5 1 14 14.0 0 0 0   0 1 14 14.0 0
*2021 Utah Pac-12 JR TE 14 36 510 14.2 8 1 4 4.0 0 37 514 13.9 8
*2022 Utah Pac-12 SR   12 70 890 12.7 8 0 0   0 70 890 12.7 8

Obviously, Bowers did this in the SEC and came in and produced as a freshman on a loaded Georgia team while Kincaid came on later in his college career in the PAC-12.  I think everyone can agree Bowers is a much higher level prospect given his production against elite competition, so I don't understand why some people don't think he warrants the 10th pick in the draft.  I'd have no reservations taking him there.

Were u badiness over at ji?

50 minutes ago, slats said:

Hopefully, the jints already know that Waller is retiring but they’re keeping it under wraps so as not to give away their pick. 

Bowers may be the greatest player in the history of college sports, but that doesn’t make taking a TE in the top ten any less risky. He literally -in the literal sense of the word- needs to be an all time great to justify the selection. Would anyone really be surprised if Bryan Thomas Jr. went on to have the more productive career? I wouldn’t. 

If the Jets do take Bowers, I’ll hope the fan club is right. I love a great TE. I still don’t think JD will pull the trigger, though. 

I wouldn't go that far. He would just need to be better/more productive than any WR or TE that was still on the board and taken after him

tim tebow was among the greatest collegiate QBs to ever play

donnell pumphrey is the NCAA's all-time leading rush (ron dayne is 2nd)

and this one is just funny:

corey davis is the all-time leading receiver by yards (and 2nd by TDs)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I wouldn't go that far. He would just need to be better/more productive than any WR or TE that was still on the board and taken after him

He won’t be more productive than a number of WRs who go after him. I’ll make that prediction right now. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

I've been avoiding draft threads/topics as much as possible because we are in that stage during the stupid draft process where every moron in the world is making some stupid hot take that is completely and utterly illogical but hey, why not, and while I'm at it, peep this super original mock draft that I dont even believe will happen but nobody else had done it, so why not!  Besides, it doesnt matter if I get it wrong or right, I'm still an expert! 

Here is the fact about Brock Bowers that is all that matters and we dont need all these silly comparisons you want to make or draft proclamations you want to make or do and donts that you believe in or he better be this guy or that guy in the league.  That is all pure and utter stupidity.  The fact that matters about Brock Bowers is; he looked to be, head and shoulders, the best player in college Football, playing on the best team in college Football, dominating the best conference in college Football.   You might not like this that and the other about Brock Bowers or that he plays TE and that's fine but the fact is, he was that good.  He was playing like the best offensive play maker in the game and the best college TE of all time.  

Hate to twist the lions tale of a poster that's clearly more knowledgeable about college football, football in general and Brock Bowers than I, but...

This whole thing reminds me of Reggie Bush. Reggie Bush was the best college HB I'd ever seen. 

He was a really good athlete, but not a freak. He was a solid, not great NFL player. 

If I deride Bowers it's not because I think he's going to "bust" in the Mekhi Becton sense of the word - but more like Reggie Bush. He will not yield the requisite ROI for where he was selected. 

And if I'm calculating my downside risk @ pick 10, assuming not another Mekhi bust and that the top 3 receivers are gone, I'd far prefer having spent that pick on a 'good not great' starter @ offensive tackle than a 'good not great' starter @ TE. 

And if we're gambling on upside, Bowers doesn't have the freakish athleticism of Njoku or Pitts or Howard - yes it didn't work out for those teams, but at least I understand the gamble. 

• Upvote 2