If Brock Bowers is drafted @ 10, how do you fill out the rest of the Draft?

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I’m confused why Safety keeps coming up as a position of need.  

When is the last time we kept more than 4 active Safeties?

We have FS Adams coming off a promising year.

Re-signed SS Clark who was a Swiss Army knife in Baltimore & still only 28/29.

Re-signed SS/FS Davis who took a BIG step forward last year.

Drafted FS Bernard-Converse last year.  Are we saying he’s a bust this early?

The numbers don’t seem to add up.

Late round (practice squad) depth with an eye on the future?  Sure, but no more so than CB, DT, Edge, or LB.  

I think some people locked in on Safety being a need because Davis took so long to sign.  Without him, there was nobody proven behind Clark (coming off a significant injury) and Adams.  With Davis onboard now, though, I'm with you.  It's not a need and I only seeing us draft one in a BPA situation.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'd likely want to move-up on day 2 for one of the two offensive tackles

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Well, that basically takes WR off the table IMO. So what are our needs then? 

1. O-line depth (because of likely injuries).

72. Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington: 6 - 5, 308 OR  Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida State, 6-7, 231

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'd go OT with our next pick. Maybe even trade up to the end of the 2nd for a guy like Morgan if he falls there.

I have a handful of thoughts. take them with a grain of salt

• Someone recently painted a picture to me that suggested if the Jets don't take OT in round 1, it may not happen till late/later in day 3 (Jets OT visits also support this theory) . There's a desire to get production out of the pick, i think picks 1/3 will reflect that. Makes sense me. (production can look like OT, maybe less so on Day 2) 
  • We've done reasonable amount of homework on WRs likely to be there at our Rnd 3 pick. If we luck out with Odunze in rnd 1 (seems less and less likely lately) there's some defensive players that might be cued up, or even another WR
  • I wouldn't assume we're going to just take whoever slides to us 10. Even if it's guys like Alt or Nabers. 

Anyway just making conversation 😅😅😬

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I have a handful of thoughts. take them with a grain of salt

• Someone recently painted a picture to me that suggested if the Jets don't take OT in round 1, it may not happen till late/later in day 3 (Jets OT visits also support this theory) . There's a desire to get production out of the pick, i think picks 1/3 will reflect that. Makes sense me. (production can look like OT, maybe less so on Day 2) 
  • We've done reasonable amount of homework on WRs likely to be there at our Rnd 3 pick. If we luck out with Odunze in rnd 1 (seems less and less likely lately) there's some defensive players that might be cued up, or even another WR
  • I wouldn't assume we're going to just take whoever slides to us 10. Even if it's guys like Alt or Nabers. 

Anyway just making conversation 😅😅😬

By production - I assume ya mean “this year”, is that correct? 

I know we visited with Kiran OmegaArms… don’t tell me the dream is dead… Maybe they view him as day 3? Please oh please drop til round 4 lil buddy 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

10. Brock Bowers

No one wants to listen to me, but there is no way we are drafting Brock Bowers at #10.  NO WAY!!!

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

No one wants to listen to me, but there is no way we are drafting Brock Bowers at #10.  NO WAY!!!

Supposedly JD would've taken Jahmyr Gibbs had he fallen to us last year.  Would you have predicted RB at that spot?  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10074290-jets-rumors-jahmyr-gibbs-was-eyed-at-no-15-before-lions-selected-alabama-rb

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Supposedly JD would've taken Jahmyr Gibbs had he fallen to us last year.  Would you have predicted RB at that spot?  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10074290-jets-rumors-jahmyr-gibbs-was-eyed-at-no-15-before-lions-selected-alabama-rb

Mayer was also a finalist at #15 last year.

And Bowers blows Mayer out of the damn water as a prospect.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I remember hearing that too.  I'm a big fan of Mayer so if Bowers is really as good as you're saying (especially in relation to Mayer) then I can't be upset at the pick. 

This is a good one....nice post.

If we go TE Bowers with #10, I might use #72 or maybe even #111 on Caleb Willams, QB USC. He's smart, has a decent arm, and is better than Sanchez. Look to the future!!! Then, whichever pick we don't use on Williams, I'd take either Mavin Harrison, WR, or Joe Alt, Left Tackle out of the Golden Dome. 

I've studied tape on all these guys and they're petty good.

After that I'd look to bolster the Defense. Either a good Safety or D-Line Tackle.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!! 

This is soooo easy. I should be a GM 😎

• Haha 1

Op makes a good q

1. Bowers

3. Wr - there are more good safe wrs still out there vs ot. Pearsall, walker, wilson

4. ot-

4b this is where i start bpa…..

Im looking for lb, safety, possible anothe Oline or rb. However it comes i take

5-7 i want a qb prospect. Somewhere. Someone. Milton? Hatman? The sc kid? 

I would also take pratt at 3 or 4

14 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

My dream is we take hartman or the sc kid with the very last pick of the draft

He turns out to be our Mr irrelevant 

hilarity and joy follows

I will seriously be upset if we don't take a QB as our Mr Irrelevant.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

With all that said, I very much prefer OT at #10, and two WR & and TE again where ever we can get Johnny Wilson, Cade Stover (TE) and Luke McCaffrey in those mid-rounds.  

Try and get that Louisville RB and we’re all set! I do find Wilson intriguing as a Plaxico Burress comp

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

11 hours ago, Untouchable said:

These are cute rumors but, at the end of the day, JD went for the premium position with his first rounder. It’s even harder to see him go for a low valued position in the first this year with no second round pick. Jets have needs at OT and WR this year and next. TE would not be in the conversation at all this year if it wasn’t this alleged wunderkind. 

Don’t see this offensive staff remaking the offense to fit this generational TE who’s not really a TE, who will be disappointing if he’s used as a traditional TE, either. I hear he was the best player on Georgia, and that’s why they schemed him the ball the way they did just to get it into his hands, but he won’t be the best player on the Jets. If I’m scheming plays for anyone here, it’s gonna be Breece or Wilson. 

I did a collaborative mock on another board.  Could not get a partner to trade out of 10.  Alt, Olu, and the 3 top WR gone.  I picked Bowers and tried hard to work the board with a couple of trades to fill needs:

10 1 10 1300 NYJ Jets Dcat Brock Bowers TE Georgia  
67 3 3 255 NYJ Jets Dcat Kiran Amegadjie OT Yale from Was via Mia
111 4 11 72 NYJ Jets Dcat Brenden Rice WR USC  
184 6 8 17.8 NYJ Jets Dcat Dylan Laube RB New Hamp. from Mia
203 6 27 10.2 NYJ Jets Dcat Jaylon Carlies S Missouri from Den
207 6 31 8.6 NYJ Jets Dcat Jalen Sundell OC N. Dakota St. from Den
256 7 36 1 NYJ Jets Dcat David White Jr. WR Western Carolina  
257 7 37 1 NYJ Jets Dcat Sam Hartman QB Notre Dame  

I could live with this if forced to.  

14 minutes ago, slats said:

These are cute rumors but, at the end of the day, JD went for the premium position with his first rounder. It’s even harder to see him go for a low valued position in the first this year with no second round pick. Jets have needs at OT and WR this year and next. TE would not be in the conversation at all this year if it wasn’t this alleged wunderkind. 

Don’t see this offensive staff remaking the offense to fit this generational TE who’s not really a TE, who will be disappointing if he’s used as a traditional TE, either. I hear he was the best player on Georgia, and that’s why they schemed him the ball the way they did just to get it into his hands, but he won’t be the best player on the Jets. If I’m scheming plays for anyone here, it’s gonna be Breece or Wilson. 

It’s not really a rumor when the GM is on video in the war room saying it.

Sure, the Jets ultimately made the decision to take McDonald, but they still had Mayer as one of their Top 3 finalists for pick #15.

If Douglas was prepared to take Mayer when he already had Conklin, Uzomah, Ruckert and Yeboah on the roster…why would he scoff at what many consider the best TE prospect to ever come out of college when Conklin is in the last year of his deal, Uzomah is gone, Ruckert can’t seem to stay healthy and has like 12 career receptions, etc.

Beyond being another weapon for Rodgers, Bowers also encompasses everything from an intangibles standpoint that the Jets look for. Everyone raves about the kid being a team leader who is obsessively driven to be great.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

It’s not really a rumor when the GM is on video in the war room saying it.

Sure, the Jets ultimately made the decision to take McDonald, but they still had Mayer as one of their Top 3 finalists for pick #15.

If Douglas was prepared to take Mayer when he already had Conklin, Uzomah, Ruckert and Yeboah on the roster…why would he scoff at what many consider the best TE prospect to ever come out of college when Conklin is in the last year of his deal, Uzomah is gone, Ruckert can’t seem to stay healthy and has like 12 career receptions, etc.

Beyond being another weapon for Rodgers, Bowers also encompasses everything from an intangibles standpoint that the Jets look for. Everyone raves about the kid being a team leader who is obsessively driven to be great.

My opinion is that he would be an immensely risky pick at #10, and I don’t believe that JD is in a position to gamble like that this year. For all of the accolades, Bowers is still a ‘tweener. He’s not a traditional TE; he’s a “big slot,” or he’s an H-back. I’m not pretending to be a talent evaluator because I’m not one, but ‘tweeners concern me. Those guys can dominate at the college level but then not have it translate to the pros. There’s a reason there’s only a couple true star receiving TEs in the league. 

I think the pick will probably be an OL. I want the WR, but I could see JD targeting an OL whether a WR is there or not. 

I'd like to think we go for players that can actually help us now with our early picks. And grab developmental backups later in the draft.

Grabbing a McDonald type player that is getting little action, doesn't help a win now team immediately.

I think it'd be pretty obvious if we go TE or WR at 10 that we trust Warren more than some think. As well as us likely adding a vet OT post draft.

8 minutes ago, slats said:

My opinion is that he would be an immensely risky pick at #10, and I don’t believe that JD is in a position to gamble like that this year. For all of the accolades, Bowers is still a ‘tweener. He’s not a traditional TE; he’s a “big slot,” or he’s an H-back. I’m not pretending to be a talent evaluator because I’m not one, but ‘tweeners concern me. Those guys can dominate at the college level but then not have it translate to the pros. There’s a reason there’s only a couple true star receiving TEs in the league. 

I think the pick will probably be an OL. I want the WR, but I could see JD targeting an OL whether a WR is there or not. 

For all the criticism douglas has endured about not fixing the OL, he has a layup now.  The two safest picks IMO (assuming alt is gone) are fuaga and fautanu.  Fuaga seems like an instant RT starter who improves the run game.  He’s also 2 yrs younger than fautanu, though the appeal of fautanu is that he can move to LT.  But if douglas ignores this and takes bowers and this season they’re playing musical chairs again with the OL spots and rodgers is actually healthy and looks ok, that’s game over for jd.  He’s got to fix the OL and there’s a nice wr pool for day 2.  Even hope they can trade back and get an extra 3rd and go OL.  Still think fuaga is their guy.

• Upvote 1

10. Bowers

72: Ricky Pearsall (noted that I have guys like Corley, Wilson, etc off the board by this pick) So he's BPA for us. Bc OT isn't strong in this area.

111. Blake Fisher (after all this pick is a backup right? And might very well be behind Warren and a vet OT anyway) we also can IR Fisher if we wanted. And make this like a redshirt year for him. Was in the talk as a late 1st before injured.

134. Jordan Travis. Developmental QB

185. Edefuan Ulofoshio. ST player and LB depth. Very athletic.

256. Jase McClellan. Big bodied Bama RB that would start for most other NCAA teams and be a name people would know more.

257. Jaylen Key. S that's athletic from Bama. Can battle our sneaker guy from last year as depth at S.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

No, I wouldn't have predicted that.  I also wouldn't have predicted JD drafting Will McDonald last year either.

I did predict him taking a O tackle when we got Becton.  

Like I have already said, if JD picks Bowers, I would not understand it.  Our new 2 O tackles have missed a combined 7 games last season, and assuming it is the same this year, we will be skating on thin ice with Warren and Max.  And then next year, we will surely be drafting a left tackle in the first round.  And Tyler Conklin had a career year last year, and should he duplicate it or better, we probably will be letting him walk next year. And we still will need another wide receiver, since Mike Williams  is on a one year deal.  

For me, it just doesn't add up.  But JD has other ways to fill in the gaps, I suppose.

I will make this prediction though.  If JD doesn't get a quality tackle this year in the draft, or in free agency, and injuries occur as I expect that they will, and Rodgers is running for his life, then I would certainly fire JD after this season.  

20 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'd likely want to move-up on day 2 for one of the two offensive tackles - Patrick Paul from Houston or Kiran Amegdajie from Yale. Both are raw but have freakish 36"+ arm length. I'll roll the dice on that and hope we can develop them.

I'd look at safeties, runningbacks, IOL and LB on day 3.

Kiran Amegadjie is definitely the pick if he's there's. Unfortunately he may be selected in the backend of the 2nd. His measurements are similar to Tyron Smith and he has to be smart coming from Yale. Only thing is the competition he's faced. Wasn't able to be healthy to participate in the Senior Bowl to show us how he fairs against bigger/stronger competition.

21 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

10. Brock Bowers

72. Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale

111. Jordan Travis, QB, Florida State or 

Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane

134. Malik Mustapha, S, Wake Forest

185. Jase McClellan, RB, Alabama 

256. Top UDFA Prospects 

257. Top UDFA Prospects 

• Upvote 1