If Brock Bowers is drafted @ 10, how do you fill out the rest of the Draft?

I’m going receiver in the third round if we take Bowers at 10. Sign one more veteran offensive tackle for depth and just go for it this year. They can worry about offensive line next season and make that a focus. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

10. Brock Bowers

Well, that basically takes WR off the table IMO. 

We go into 2024 with Wilson/Williams/Lazard?/Cobb?/Gipson/Brownlee at WR, and Bowers/Conklin/Ruckert at TE.

So what are our needs then? 

1. O-line depth (because of likely injuries).
2. Safety
3. RB Depth
4. QB of the Future
5. WR of the Future to replace Williams/Lazard/Cobb
6. LB of the Future

So looking at who is likely available at these slots, maybe I go:

72. Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington: 6 - 5, 308 OR  Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida State, 6-7, 231

111. Malik Mustapha, S, Wake Forest 5 -10, 209 OR Tanor Bortolini, OC, Wisconsin 6-4, 303

134. MarShawn Lloyd, RB, USC 5-8, 220 OR Luke McCaffrey, WR, Rice 6-1, 198

185. Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee 6-5, 235 OR Trey Taylor, S, Air Force, 6-0, 213

256. Best OL, WR, LB or S, whatever we haven't taken.

257. If no QB taken, pick a QB (why not?), or Best OL, WR, LB or S, whatever we haven't taken.

With all that said, I very much prefer OT at #10, and two WR & and TE again where ever we can get Johnny Wilson, Cade Stover (TE) and Luke McCaffrey in those mid-rounds.  

I'd rather go Wilson/Williams/Wilson/McCaffrey/Gipson and Conklin/Ruckert/Stover at WR/TE.

• Upvote 4

I'd likely want to move-up on day 2 for one of the two offensive tackles - Patrick Paul from Houston or Kiran Amegdajie from Yale. Both are raw but have freakish 36"+ arm length. I'll roll the dice on that and hope we can develop them.

I'd look at safeties, runningbacks, IOL and LB on day 3.

• Upvote 3

72 has to best best oline left. Would be ideal to have tackle flexibility but let's be honest, John Simpson isn't a probowler and avt is an injury risk so a high level IOL backup is just fine by me.

Round 4 should be a developmental qb. Beyond that, I have no clue about the draft.

To round out the roster, they'd need to find another suitable backup OT and probably another WR as Street free agents.

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'd likely want to move-up on day 2 for one of the two offensive tackles - Patrick Paul from Houston or Kiran Amegdajie from Yale. Both are raw but have freakish 36"+ arm length. I'll roll the dice on that and hope we can develop them.

I'd look at safeties, runningbacks, IOL and LB on day 3.

I like Patrick Paul as well. Also like Corley.

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d try to find a dynamic pass catcher and maybe a stout tight end. 

Draft 6 of his teammates so there will be plenty of people around him to keep telling him how great and generational he is.😁

• Haha 1

Then I take a field stretching wideout like Devontez Walker in Round 3, an interior OL and RB in Round 4, then whatever fringe roster stragglers they want in the 6th and 7th.

Sign a Donovan Smith or David Bakhtiari following the draft.

I'd go OT with our next pick. Maybe even trade up to the end of the 2nd for a guy like Morgan if he falls there.

And WR with the pick after that. Maybe Malik Washington. But I think he's a guy that goes earlier than mocks have him going.

I think you can still find a solid depth o-lineman in Rd. 3 who can contribute this year. A developmental T or a G who can step right in. Thats where I go at 72. Preferably a T.

In Rd. 4 I go receiver and LB. A quality depth receiver will still be there in Rd. 4. This is such a deep WR class that you will still be able to find a depth guy who can contribute in Rd. 4. Cowing, McCaffrey, maybe even Malik Washington could be there. And my hunch is a lot of defensive talent, including LB will be pushed down because of all the offensive talent going early. Snagging an athletic LB would be nice and one should be available in Rd. 4.   

Late rounds are for developmental guys and special teamers. I go after a CB, double dip at O-line, and snag a RB if there's one I like who may not fall out of the draft to UDFA.

Bowers

T or G (preferably T)

LB/WR

CB/O-line/RB   

• Upvote 1

Ignoring the future, the Jets need:

• Another T better than Mitchell.  Mitchell can start the year off on the PS
  • Another IOL better than someone they have.  Maybe they ride with who they have.
  • A WR better than Brownlee, etc.  Those guys can start the year on the PS.
  • A S better than…
  • A CB better than…

There will be lots of injuries .   Guys will start the season on the PS and move to the roster in due course. 

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

10. Brock Bowers

Using our own recently completed jet nation draft as a blue print for who is on the board at the time.

10 - Brock Bowers - TE/HB - Georgia

72 - Zac Zinter - OG - Michigan

111 - Jalen McMillan - WR - Washington

134 - Ray Davis - RB - Kentucky

185 - Delmar Glaze - OT - Maryland

256 - Daijahn Anthony - S - Ole Miss

257 - Devin Leary - QB - Kentucky

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Then I take a field stretching wideout like Devontez Walker in Round 3, an interior OL and RB in Round 4, then whatever fringe roster stragglers they want in the 6th and 7th.

Sign a Donovan Smith or David Bakhtiari following the draft.

How elastic do you want this field to be? We have Garrett Wilson and Mike Williams.

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

10. Brock Bowers

72. Best WR available

111. Best OT available

134. Best safety available

185. QB Sam Hartman

256. IOL

257. fastest 40 time left on the board.  Possible help with new kickoff rules. 

I’m confused why Safety keeps coming up as a position of need.  

When is the last time we kept more than 4 active Safeties?

We have FS Adams coming off a promising year.

Re-signed SS Clark who was a Swiss Army knife in Baltimore & still only 28/29.

Re-signed SS/FS Davis who took a BIG step forward last year.

Drafted FS Bernard-Converse last year.  Are we saying he’s a bust this early?

The numbers don’t seem to add up.

Late round (practice squad) depth with an eye on the future?  Sure, but no more so than CB, DT, Edge, or LB.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why?

There should be good WR prospects available in the 3rd round. If they don't go OL at 10, I imagine they will bring in another veteran OL over the summer. If they have a WR rated above an OL 72, I think they pull the trigger. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

We go into 2024 with Wilson/Williams/Lazard?/Cobb?/Gipson/Brownlee at WR, and Bowers/Conklin/Ruckert at TE.

So what are our needs then? 

1. O-line depth (because of likely injuries).
2. Safety
3. RB Depth
4. QB of the Future
5. WR of the Future to replace Williams/Lazard/Cobb
6. LB of the Future

So looking at who is likely available at these slots, maybe I go:

72. Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington: 6 - 5, 308 OR  Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida State, 6-7, 231

111. Malik Mustapha, S, Wake Forest 5 -10, 209 OR Tanor Bortolini, OC, Wisconsin 6-4, 303

134. MarShawn Lloyd, RB, USC 5-8, 220 OR Luke McCaffrey, WR, Rice 6-1, 198

185. Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee 6-5, 235 OR Trey Taylor, S, Air Force, 6-0, 213

256. Best OL, WR, LB or S, whatever we haven't taken.

257. If no QB taken, pick a QB (why not?), or Best OL, WR, LB or S, whatever we haven't taken.

With all that said, I very much prefer OT at #10, and two WR & and TE again where ever we can get Johnny Wilson, Cade Stover (TE) and Luke McCaffrey in those mid-rounds.  

I'd rather go Wilson/Williams/Wilson/McCaffrey/Gipson and Conklin/Ruckert/Stover at WR/TE.

I think while it probably takes WR off the table in the draft (most likely in round 3 + probably round 4), but not necessarily in FA, where I think they'd still see what other veteran they could add. 

Truth is outside of a position where they 100% need nobody (e.g. DE) I prefer BAP not pigeonholing picks to positions since - as the draft progresses - it gets hard enough to draft someone NFL-worthy, never mind starter-worthy, without the further handicap of dismissing all the prospects from a few positions.

So no, I wouldn't touch an edge rusher in round 3 because they've invested plenty in the position group - nor a position like punter in round 4 just because - but the idea behind using day 3 of the draft as a pipeline has to start first & foremost with drafting guys who can start within the next 2-3 seasons, not necessarily the one who'd get the most snaps as a rookie.

If someone who could really be all that is there in round 3, but he's a WR, I'd still grab him right after drafting Bowers anyway. If we nail that one, he could take Williams's spot as early as next year (and WR3 duties maybe this year, though they're not going to be big on putting two rookie targets out there together very often). More obvious pick seems to be OL, but WR is supposedly deeper and there may not be a night & day dropoff from a round 3 OT prospect to a round 4 one - since the position is reportedly more top-heavy - but maybe there is a bigger dropoff at WR from round 3 to 4. 

Lots of words to say depends who's there (though there's no fun in using fewer words). Targeting a select position or couple positions of need should be done with FAs who, even if they're not all that, at least have shown they belong on an NFL roster. 

10 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I’m confused why Safety keeps coming up as a position of need.  

When is the last time we kept more than 4 active Safeties?

We have FS Adams coming off a promising year.

Re-signed SS Clark who was a Swiss Army knife in Baltimore & still only 28.

Re-signed SS/FS Davis who took a BIG step forward last year.

Drafted Bernard-Converse last year.  Are we saying he’s a bust this early?

The numbers don’t seem to add up.

Late round (practice squad) depth with an eye on the future?  Sure, but no more so than CB, DT, Edge, or LB.  

Adams has started 16 games in his career

Clark is being overrated by jets fans and is coming off a bad injury

Bernard converse we have ZERO clue as to what he can do.

Davis has started  like 5 games the last two years.

We are very thin at S and very weak as in weak in relation to the rest of the league.

We should gain as far as tackling goes with clark but we will lose out on the turnovers whitehead gave us.

Shakiest, weakest position on the team right now.   Now S is not a premium position so no need to draft one 6th overall or with a 1st and 2nd rounder but we need another one via vet fa or the draft.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think while it probably takes WR off the table in the draft (most likely in round 3 + probably round 4), but not necessarily in FA, where I think they'd still see what other veteran they could add. 

A cheaper veteran, yes, I would agree thats still on the table, IF Lazard is moved.  If not, I expect him to be the #3 and no other FA WR to get signed apart from maybe Cobb on another 1-year deal.  Wilson/Williams/Lazard/Cobb/Gipson/Brownlee would be the unit.

Truth is outside of a position where they 100% need nobody (e.g. DE) I prefer BAP not pigeonholing picks to positions since - as the draft progresses - it gets hard enough to draft someone NFL-worthy, never mind starter-worthy, without the further handicap of dismissing all the prospects from a few positions.

I've never been a BAP guy.  I think BAP is a luxury great teams can engage in, not teams who've lost for 13 years with glaring and specific needs.  The McDonald pick last year is a perfect example IMO of BAP being dumb.  But I appreciate most fans love BAP, especially early.

If someone who could really be all that is there in round 3, but he's a WR, I'd still grab him right after drafting Bowers anyway. If we nail that one, he could take Williams's spot as early as next year (and WR3 duties maybe this year, though they're not going to be big on putting two rookie targets out there together very often).

I don't know if there is a sure-thing 2025 #1B WR available in the 3rd round.  There is a guy I like, but he's more a possession guy, third-down sure-handed reliable type guy, more a #2B or #3 type in 6'7" Johnny Wilson of Florida State.  He's sorta the same role tho as Bowers (Big Slot?) so not sure he's work if we drafted Bowers.  Personally I don't know the other WR prospects in that zone enough to speculate.

More obvious pick seems to be OL, but WR is supposedly deeper and there may not be a night & day dropoff from a round 3 OT prospect to a round 4 one - since the position is reportedly more top-heavy - but maybe there is a bigger dropoff at WR from round 3 to 4. 

Lots of words to say depends who's there (though there's no fun in using fewer words). Targeting a select position or couple positions of need should be done with FAs who, even if they're not all that, at least have shown they belong on an NFL roster. 

Aye, I get ya on the "depends whose there" point.  But I still believe we are a "target select positions" team, not a BAP team.  

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Why?

There should be good WR prospects available in the 3rd round. If they don't go OL at 10, I imagine they will bring in another veteran OL over the summer. If they have a WR rated above an OL 72, I think they pull the trigger. 

I think there is a mistaken presumption that just "signing some veteran O-linemen" actually solves the problem.

JD has signed a ton of "veteran O-linemen" in his tenure, so far most have been pretty poor, injury prone, or both.

Sure, it's possible some street FA O-linemen might be around to snag later post-draft or in camp, but thats a heck of a risk in a win-now situation IMO.  They're available for a reason, and it's not because they're great.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think there is a mistaken presumption that just "signing some veteran O-linemen" actually solves the problem.

JD has signed a ton of "veteran O-linemen" in his tenure, so far most have been pretty poor, injury prone, or both.

Sure, it's possible some street FA O-linemen might be around to snag later post-draft or in camp, but thats a heck of a risk in a win-now situation IMO.  They're available for a reason, and it's not because they're great.

First, I'm not the biggest Bowers guy. I'd much rather take a WR or OT at 10 than the highest rated TE. 

If we go weapon at 10, I'd be all about going OL in the 3rd. All I'm saying is that, if the Jets had a WR rated as the best player available at 72, it wouldn't necessarily shock me to see them take him, even if they already took Bowers at 10. 

Incidentally, what you are describing  is one of the main reasons I'm not the biggest fan of taking Bowers at 10. I think TE is a luxury pick. The Jets need OL and WR more than anything else. 

Lastly, I don't see us going into the season filling all of our holes, regardless of what we do. We will have holes, like almost any team. And some of them may be significant. 

49 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We are very thin at S and very weak as in weak in relation to the rest of the league.

We should gain as far as tackling goes with clark but we will lose out on the turnovers whitehead gave us.

Shakiest, weakest position on the team right now.   Now S is not a premium position so no need to draft one 6th overall or with a 1st and 2nd rounder but we need another one via vet fa or the draft.

I respectfully disagree and will be surprised if we add one.

Adams did very well as a rookie starter.

Ashtyn played a big role in a 3 safety rotation.  Who cares how many games he started?  Look at his trajectory..

Did I miss it..  was Clark’s leg amputated?  The Jets chose to bring him back for a reason.  Doubt them on Offense but their Defensive signings have been pretty spot on.

Bernard-Converse was that 6th round pick .. last year.

Even a CB like Isaiah Oliver has some NFL Safety experience.  

My prediction is the Jets will not sign or draft a safety (before round 7).

They have much more pressing needs:  Swing OT, Guard depth, #3 WR, #2 RB.  Heck, I have developmental QB, another WR and a run stopping reserve DT ahead of a reserve safety, which this role would be.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Clark was a very good player for Baltimore and a terrific signing by JD.  All comes down to his recovery from injury, but if he's back to 95% of what he was, the safety position will be in good shape.  So I think if the Jets do end up drafting a safety before the last few developmental picks, it could be because they are concerned about Clark's recovery

1 minute ago, cat999 said:

Clark was a very good player for Baltimore and a terrific signing by JD.  All comes down to his recovery from injury, but if he's back to 95% of what he was, the safety position will be in good shape.  So I think if the Jets do end up drafting a safety before the last few developmental picks, it could be because they are concerned about Clark's recovery

The Ravens thought so much of hi they traded him for a 7th round pick.

He is a high character guy and a good tackler but coming off a bad injury and if you lose a half step in the secodnary you become a liability.

We do not know if he is going to step in after a bad injury and a year older and be Ravens good.  You canlt just assume.