Jets need to make a fairly unprecedented move

Ultimately, I actually think Johnny is right.

Saleh 🤡 isn't the guy.  He's never going to put the Jets in position to win it all.

If I was the owner, there's no way I hire him when his answer to every question is:  "all gas, no brake".

I mean look at Dan Campbell.  Sure, he flopped in his opening presser, but the more you get to know the guy, you see he is a genuine leader who speaks from the heart.

More importantly, he's now demonstrated he can get the job done.

I think more fans than not would agree that Saleh looks like a fraud.

Just not sure "looking lifeless" during a presser ought to be the proverbial "straw that breaks the camel's back" 🤣

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's too late to change now but the day Mike Vrabel was fired, JD should've been on the phone with him.  

How good are you going to feel about the coaching matchup if the Jets get to the postseason and Robert Saleh is matched up against Andy Reid or John Harbaugh?

I'll let you know after I see him coach with a legitimate NFL QB. I haven't seen that yet.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Between Saleh, McDermott and Mike McDaniel, which do you think is the worst of the 3?

Again, Saleh hasn't had a QB. Not sure if McDermott or McDaniel could have won more games with the Jets QB room.

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I dunno why but OP reminds me of the restaurant manager from Office Space - "I noticed you're only wearing 15 pieces of flair...are you happy doing the bare minimum?"

So back when we had Sam Darnold, @JohnnyLV and I used to butt heads all the time over him. Sam could do no wrong in his eyes.

I finally wrote Johnny off as an irrational homer. Over the last year I’ve come to realize I was wrong about him. He’s simply irrational.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Again, Saleh hasn't had a QB. Not sure if McDermott or McDaniel could have won more games with the Jets QB room.

If you could have your choice of HC of the NYJ between those 3, which would you choose as your 1st and 2nd options?  

[I'm leaving out Mayo, btw, because he doesn't have a track record yet]

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Imo, Saleh is the real turd here (though he's been able to hide behind scapegoating a certain player).  He's shown no inclination to be anything more than a DC who has a HC's title and salary.

Yknow, from what I've seen so far, you try to keep it fair and see shades of gray, so I respect this take. Ultimately a HC and GM (and owner?) Must be accountable for coaching and personnel failures in any part of the game, even if that's not their "specialty". Obviously JD (and woody?), Hackett and Lafleur carry some blame too, but if you think Saleh is the stinker of the bunch, I certainly can't conclusively prove that wrong. I don't think JD has done well providing him with offenses either, but it's been far too ugly to just blame one or the other.

I just hope you'll also give Saleh credit if (IF lol) things go to plan, the offense gels and this team is winning games. Sadly, we've had to wait all this time to see if this team can do it with a "real" offense. I'm not 100% confident, but personally I'm also not calling Saleh a turd until I see what happens this year. If the team still fails I'll probably be ready to turn on him, but I still like the guy at the moment, even if he's a little limited, and want to see if he can grow with this team.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

"One day the Robert Saleh type of coach will not be on this team."

😂

@TuscanyTile2 please do the honors of creating this thread

Lol.  I could see this team getting to the playoffs on talent alone and him getting an extension because of that.  

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I wish!  lol.

It's not going to happen but I'd love it if we brought in Vrabel.  How often are HCs of that caliber just sitting around waiting to be hired?  Unfortunately, that ship has sailed.  At least he didn't go to the Pats.

You want Vrabel now for the same reason you wanted Saleh when he was the DC of the 49ers. You get all tingly thinking about how physically imposing he looks on the sideline.

Saleh does seem extremely stressed out and if he really had to meet with the owner every week that's a sad story , the owner seems to really deflate both the coach and the GM.

And whatever  Aaron Rodgers was talking about when you have to be serious as a team is quite concerning I believe referring to the ownership.

2 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

We need to fire Saleh before the start of the season.

If you saw any of the press conferences this weekend it is pretty clear that this guy is just completely not engaged.

He was lifeless, angry and sullen and showed no interest or passion about the draft or the team. He is already checked out.

There is nothing to suggest he is worth keeping. And before you say "defense" that is really a function of having Sauce, Reed, MC2 and the Williams brothers.

THE Jets will be a better team without him. Make Middleton or Ulbrich the head coach and move on. Saleh is in the bottom 3 of Jets coaches ever

This HAS to be the dumbest post ever!

Dude take your Midol and relax!!......LOL

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Jets fans:  "Saleh is too much of a cheerleader, a rah-rah guy!  All hype, no results. Fire him."

Also Jets fans: "Why doesn't Saleh seem excited?  He's lifeless and not engaged at all. Fire him."

EXACTLY!!...never happy Jets fans

16 minutes ago, Corn said:

Saleh does seem extremely stressed out and if he really had to meet with the owner every week that's a sad story , the owner seems to really deflate both the coach and the GM.

And whatever  Aaron Rodgers was talking about when you have to be serious as a team is quite concerning I believe referring to the ownership.

Well, JD seems to have dealt with it very well so far.  I think most would agree he's had a very strong offseason.  Meanwhile the most we've gotten from Saleh is that he thinks we "took the next step" this past year and that he expects to do better next year (which could mean 8-9 btw).  He also said "I'll never say that" when asked if he would call the season a failure if his team missed the playoffs.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/robert-saleh-jets-playoffs-nfl-owners-meeting-kwdk9ixr

If the Jets don’t make the playoffs, Johnson probably won’t retain Saleh, but the coach wouldn’t call the 2024 season a failure if the Jets fail to reach the postseason.

“I’ll never say that,” he said. “We all want to win games, we all want to go to the playoffs, we all want to win championships. That’s been the goal since the day we walked in here. Felt like we were going to have that opportunity last year. It didn’t happen. This year’s about picking ourselves up, putting our heads down and just working.”

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well, JD seems to have dealt with it very well so far.  I think most would agree he's had a very strong offseason.  Meanwhile the most we've gotten from Saleh is that he thinks we "took the next step" this past year and that he expects to do better next year (which could mean 8-9 btw).  He also said "I'll never say that" when asked if he would call the season a failure if his team missed the playoffs.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/robert-saleh-jets-playoffs-nfl-owners-meeting-kwdk9ixr

If the Jets don’t make the playoffs, Johnson probably won’t retain Saleh, but the coach wouldn’t call the 2024 season a failure if the Jets fail to reach the postseason.

“I’ll never say that,” he said. “We all want to win games, we all want to go to the playoffs, we all want to win championships. That’s been the goal since the day we walked in here. Felt like we were going to have that opportunity last year. It didn’t happen. This year’s about picking ourselves up, putting our heads down and just working.”

Saleh is cool with missing the playoffs.  Meanwhile, Mike Vrabel (this is from 8/23)...

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/8/31/23852998/mike-vrabel-tennessee-titans-head-coach-sixth-season

Vrabel is a 48-year-old former All-Pro defender who’s entering his sixth season coaching in Tennessee. He has snagged an NFL Coach of the Year award, won nearly 60 percent of his games, and made the playoffs three times in five seasons—once getting all the way to the AFC championship—despite never having what most would consider an elite roster. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

If you saw any of the press conferences this weekend it is pretty clear that this guy is just completely not engaged.

He was lifeless, angry and sullen and showed no interest or passion about the draft or the team. He is already checked out.

There is nothing to suggest he is worth keeping. And before you say "defense" that is really a function of having Sauce, Reed, MC2 and the Williams brothers.

THE Jets will be a better team without him. Make Middleton or Ulbrich the head coach and move on. Saleh is in the bottom 3 of Jets coaches ever

Thank you JohnnyLV, thank you! 

• Haha 1

Seriously this. 
Sean Payton gonna find out real quick that he’d rather start Stidham or a rookie with a Chad Pennington arm. 
It will be interesting... That's for sure ...

Start a noodle arm, a Stidham, or a kid with a huge array of physical gifts that completely failed mentally under this regime... a lack luster coaching staff and complete absence of any competence along the offensive line.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Tension between the GM and the head coach is GOOD thing.  It means a higher chance of the head coach being held to account.

As for the soap-opera-style tea leaf reading:  Why bother?  Unless you know these men personally, you have no idea what their emotions are, what mask they put on for different audiences, etc.  Saleh's expression might just as well have been the burritos he had before the press conference didn't agree with him.

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Oh agreed, it LOOKS like JD has had a nice off season, but I'd say that about other years too. Yet the results have been dog water, and many things (like the lack of a "backup QB" last year, supposedly, or the OL) can be pinned pretty squarely on him. I'm at the same place with both of them, it's time to put up or shut up, if the results aren't good this year I'd be fine with them being gone.

As for the pressers... sure it looks corny to have Saleh saying he's okay with missing the playoffs, but what's he supposed to do? Say it's all his fault? Yap in some other idiotic way?

You don't put that much stock in these press conferences.... do you? They're so dumb and over scrutinized, we all know coaches and GMs will say whatever suits them (including lies), and that the NY media will inflate any old stupid story or statement to get their clicks. Don't be like them, judge the coach by on field results and how the players seem to like them/feel. Obviously it's not all rosy with Saleh, and I won't even defend him there, but to me if he should he fired it's because the team stunk, not what he said about it. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Oh agreed, it LOOKS like JD has had a nice off season, but I'd say that about other years too. Yet the results have been dog water, and many things (like the lack of a "backup QB" last year, supposedly, or the OL) can be pinned pretty squarely on him. I'm at the same place with both of them, it's time to put up or shut up, if the results aren't good this year I'd be fine with them being gone.

As for the pressers... sure it looks corny to have Saleh saying he's okay with missing the playoffs, but what's he supposed to do? Say it's all his fault? Yap in some other idiotic way?

You don't put that much stock in these press conferences.... do you? They're so dumb and over scrutinized, we all know coaches and GMs will say whatever suits them (including lies), and that the NY media will inflate any old stupid story or statement to get their clicks. Don't be like them, judge the coach by on field results and how the players seem to like them/feel. Obviously it's not all rosy with Saleh, and I won't even defend him there, but to me if he should he fired it's because the team stunk, not what he said about it. 

If your point is that "talk is cheap" then I agree with you.  But Saleh is all talk.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's too late to change now but the day Mike Vrabel was fired, JD should've been on the phone with him.  

How good are you going to feel about the coaching matchup if the Jets get to the postseason and Robert Saleh is matched up against Andy Reid or John Harbaugh?

Mike Vrabel would have gone 3-14 last year and commited harakiri at the site of Zippy pirrouetting around like an adolescent Mikhail Baryshnikov. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Claymation said:

The Open Letter to Zach Wilson has to be on the list.

It just has to.

Any thread that starts with the words "Open Letter" should result in a 30 day ban of the author.  Some of the cringiest threads ever. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

Let's put it this way, no one cared when Belichik was a dick with the press, right? He could say whatever he wanted. I honestly loved that he hated the media, even though I hate him. It's fun when the coach is great with the media but that's not really what people care about. Winning solves all.

If the Jets win a playoff game this year I don't care if Saleh tells the world he still wears diapers, he almost fist fought JFM, and that aliens did 9/11. In the words of the late AL Davis, Just win, baby!

If the lack of winning has you out on Saleh, I respect that. If it's his press conferences... why tho?

Edit: yep. We'll see if he can back the talk this year. Like I said, while I'm personally ready to give him one more shot, the ugly results thus far are a fair reason to hate. 

That simply isn't going to happen.

THE Jets will be a better team without him.

That may or may not be true, but again, that simply isn't going to happen.

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

Any thread that starts with the words "Open Letter" should result in a 30 day ban of the author.  Some of the cringiest threads ever. 

My next thread:  "An Open Letter to Pac, and the Topic of Open Letters"

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You have to let him coach more than a handful of games with a viable NFL QB. Zach Wilson would have ruined the career of literally every coach in the history of the sport, and the fact that Saleh got stuck with that turd for three years is simultaneously 1. his best excuse for failure and 2. the biggest black mark on his coaching record. 

Okay, that’s somewhat fair given the two seasons with milfy but last season he had siemien sitting on the bench for five games while he fiddled with Zach and Boyle. Plus as much as Hackett got all kinds of heat for saying he didn’t know what a passing threat hall is may have been saleh telling him how he wanted the offense run.  Ball control and no mistakes.  Funny how Zach comes back with opow in the Texans game.  Maybe it’s because he finally felt he was going to play his way?  I think saleh has done a lot of damage to the players by being a my way highway game.  And just how do you keep starting Tomlinson with his matador pass blocking skills?