$52 Mil in Dead Cap Space! $9 Mil Available Cap Space

29 minutes ago, slats said:

Every team in the league uses signing bonuses and void years as deficit spending. Criticizing JD for doing the norm seems pointless to me. Especially when, for the most part, he tries to do deals like Lazard’s with in season guarantees - which didn’t look so good with Rodgers on IR; or he does a number of one year deals - another common practice that gets complained about in here. 

If the players he was doing this for actually turned out to be worth the money, there wouldn't be these criticisms, which is the point you seem not to acknowledge.

Outside of Reed, which of JD's big money spendings haven't been a total failure? I'm actually a bigger Conklin fan than most around here, so I certainly won't hate on him for that deal either, but makes it tough to ignore JD the laughably terrible Uzomah deal that went along with it.

After that, what's left? Mostly injury prone, well past their prime players, or other team's failures, whose contracts were questionable from the moment they were offered.

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

Has any team with that amount of dead cap ever been awarded the off-season championship trophy?

I'd hate to think that our streak is in danger because of this.

emoji6.png

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

A lot of really good , well thought out , posts on this thread . However this is by far the best post of the thread , thanks for the laugh . Nice work . 

$70 mil in cap space for 2025 sounded like a lot so I went and check Spotrac, who has it around $60 mil. Jason and Spotrac usually differ a bit because Jason is more into the weeds on contracts, so this isn’t surprising. What is surprising is that $60 mil is only good for 17th most in the league. 

IMG_5171.jpeg

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

$70 mil in cap space for 2025 sounded like a lot so I went and check Spotrac, who has it around $60 mil. Jason and Spotrac usually differ a bit because Jason is more into the weeds on contracts, so this isn’t surprising. What is surprising is that $60 mil is only good for 17th most in the league. 

IMG_5171.jpeg

Jason’s / OTC’s numbers are better because they’re factoring in rookies and roster size. For example just looking at the Pats, that $196M in cap room is great, except for the fact that they only have 28 players on the roster next year. Still a ton of room, but when you add in this years rookies and the cost of even signing league minimum players to fill out the roster, they actually have about $50M less. Factoring all this in, the Jets currently sit 10th in 2025 cap space.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_5171.jpeg

You have to look a bit beyond that. Some of this is due to having virtually no veteran talent lined up. Some of it is due to their own backloading recent contracts (e.g. Detroit). 

Sewell is on a $28MM/year contract but next year his cap number is under $10MM. Similar with St. Brown, whose $30MM/year extension only carries a $13-14MM cap figure in 2025.

Same will be for the drafted players the Jets would surely like to extend in another couple years.

Mathematically, the cap hit is a lower percentage of the cap ceiling for a team to push it forward:

On paper, a $20MM of a player’s cap hit on a $200MM cap ceiling would be 1/10 of the team’s cap hit. Deferring $20MM to a future year when it’s $240MM is 1/12 of the cap ceiling — a lower share. Now do that for several more of the team’s high pay veterans and that gets magnified further, annd further factor in that every year the cap goes up.

There’s a point where you’ve paid player X and therefore can’t afford player Y, too (or enough player Xs-plural mean no Player Ys). That’s why they traded JFM instead of simply restructuring him. 

Here’s the thing, though: a top QB hides a whole lot of cap/contract mismanagement, and a horrid QB magnifies it. Sammy Watkins was a preposterously bad signing — a massive waste of cap space for such a player. They had Pat Mahomes, though, on his rookie contract, so it became a shoulder shrug as they won the Super Bowl anyway. Bills are in awful cap shape right now. Somehow they’ll still be competitive in spite of that, because they have Josh Allen.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Notes from #Jets GM Joe Douglas’ interview this morning on : * Aaron Rodgers is “moving around well … slinging the ball as well as ever.” * Plan is to play Olu Fashanu at LT, but he will get practice reps at RT and maybe other positions. (This sounded more routine than some grand plan.) * Wouldn’t say if they tried to trade up for Rome Odunze. (They did.) * Started making calls at pick 45 to trade up for Malachi Corley. (Got him at 65.) * Jordan Travis “got better and better and better” in college. Can play on schedule. Quick eyes. Compact delivery. Accurate on slot fade. Hackett and Downing visited Travis in his hometown in Florida. * Still looking to add vets, but “we don’t have a lot left in the budget to spend.” (Safety remains a need.)

Wompppp.

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_5171.jpeg

We also have guys we can cut that will likely get us closer to that 80mill in cap space type mark. Lazard is a guy that comes to mind right off the top of my head.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We also have guys we can cut that will likely get us closer to that 80mill in cap space type mark. Lazard is a guy that comes to mind right off the top of my head.

Lazard is an obvious one next year, but besides that they don't have a ton of money to free up from cuts. Restructures are a different story, but I still expect them to restructure a couple of guys this year to bring in some veterans (Quinnen, Quincy being the no-brainer options). Also not factored in is AVT's 5th year option which I don't think has officially been picked up yet, and whether they sign Reddick to an extension. So they probably won't get to $80M next year, but they should wind up middle of the pack and with more than enough flexibility.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This will be the thing that ends Douglas. Woody doesn’t know sh*t about football, but he’ll be chapped to find out that his mom’s money is being wasted. 

Buy more baby oil dude

The following will be off topic as to the core dead money concern of this thread, but I want to see if any of the fellow cap nerds that this thread attracted have noticed the following:

(1) the OTC page for 2025 cap repeats the 2024 numbers for players signed rather than providing the relevant 2025 numbers, which provide much insight into how teams are managing the cap;

(2) last week the available cap numbers rose  in varying but significant amounts for all teams, but with no apparent relation to a change in the 260 mill cap (because it didn't change) or to an early, and for me, impossible to estimate, rollover of the 2024 cap

(3) The 2024 bump for JFM's departure looks, based on what the OTC numbers were, as I recall them. before the trade, to be 6 mil instead of 4 mil for 2024 (2 million too high) and zero instead of 16 million for 2025.

The above notwithstanding, I actually do have a life, which includes a loving wife and a job I like.

2 hours ago, slats said:

He’s not perfect, that’s for sure, but this roster is light years ahead of the roster he inherited. Losses, I think we can agree, are largely due to poor QB play and a turf that eats offensive linemen. Defense is championship caliber, the offense has actual star level draft picks in Wilson and Breece, and this year they should have something that resembles competent QB play or better. I fully expect JD to be extended regardless of how many times these lazy arguments are brought up. 

A complete discount of the coaching staff, medical staff and training staff who's job it is to develop talent, keep players healthy and in great shape to last a full season.   All hired by JD.

Let me ask you this.  Now that we officially have an elderly QB who's the Jets gerontologist?  Did Douglas even add one to the medical staff?  

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Everything we are going through now is necessary to plan for signing GW, Sauce, and JJ2 to their next contracts.

Breece Hall may win Offensive Player of the Year, let's have the expectations of making him a top 3 paid RB 

6 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Woody is 77 and is worth 3.2 billion.  52 mil is nada.  

It's not like he lost $52M. The team just has been penalized from double dipping in regards to getting rid of players and being able to spend that on new players. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_5171.jpeg

Who said you can do your own research?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Right, but at some point Douglas has to sit across a desk and tell Woody that there’s $52 million dollars of his money gone into the pockets of guys that Douglas signed and then had to dump. Hard to spin that as good, sound roster management even if, big picture, it is. Then that conversation turns to informing Woody he has to—very soon—put hundreds of millions of dollars into escrow to extend Sauce, Garrett, Breece, Jermaine, etc. And all of this while Douglas and Saleh are waiting for extensions, too. Forgetting the football soundness of any of it, this is about Woody writing checks, which is where things usually go south for this franchise

If they win games he'll write the checks.  

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Breece Hall may win Offensive Player of the Year, let's have the expectations of making him a top 3 paid RB 

Agreed.  But talking about RBs' second contracts sets off more trolls here.  Was trying to keep it simple for sake of the point.  It's going to be an expensive year.

1 hour ago, jvill 51 said:

Lazard is an obvious one next year, but besides that they don't have a ton of money to free up from cuts. Restructures are a different story, but I still expect them to restructure a couple of guys this year to bring in some veterans (Quinnen, Quincy being the no-brainer options). Also not factored in is AVT's 5th year option which I don't think has officially been picked up yet, and whether they sign Reddick to an extension. So they probably won't get to $80M next year, but they should wind up middle of the pack and with more than enough flexibility.

I believe AVTs option has officially been picked up now, but these web sites may not be factoring it in yet. 

A lot of players will need to be replaced in addition to the extensions, though. It's fun to imagine the Jets having a lot of cap space but even if Olu and Corley work right in, OT, WR, possibly TE, corner (if no Reed extension), safety, and possibly more will have openings. It's gonna be a real juggling act for JD, but thankfully we have a full draft slate plus one at current in 2025 which may help fill some of these cheaply. 

Of course, some guys like tyron Smith or Conklin may come right back if they have good years. But we'll have to see. I'm a lot more concerned about the last of the 2024 depth and needs. 

2 hours ago, extmenace said:

So you’re saying that JD did a good job giving himself the ability to lock up his young players?

I am saying we are taking a kick in the balls this year to reset for next year. A lot of bad draft choices and contracts made the past few years. Hopefully JD has learned from these last 5 drafts and FA periods and will flourish moving forward and locking up that amazing 2022 draft class.

1 hour ago, jvill 51 said:

Lazard is an obvious one next year, but besides that they don't have a ton of money to free up from cuts.

If Lazard plays well (60 rec for 780 yds. & 8 TD's) he will be a relatively inexpensive option for 2025 when Williams walks. $13 mil Cap hit. Those are Courland Sutton type stats ($17 mil Cap hit) or Jayden Reed (rookie contract)

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t want to be presumptuous, but does this post have anything to do with the shirtless selfie you PM’ed me exactly 50 minutes ago? 

Wait, that was supposed to go to babyunicornluver345

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This will be the thing that ends Douglas. Woody doesn’t know sh*t about football, but he’ll be chapped to find out that his mom’s money is being wasted. 

You would be so funny if you were funny.

5 hours ago, slats said:

I think we should complain about players being held onto for too long, while also complaining about too many one year deals, while also complaining about dead money. Dead money happens when you move on from players who failed to live up to their contracts. Jets are eating a lot of it this year, and have still managed to put a very solid roster together. This years dead money comes off, and OTC has the team with over $71M to work with next year. This year they’re top three in dead money, next year they’re top ten in cap room.  

100.gif

IMG_5171.jpeg

Rodgers 51 mill will be restructured im sure. Which should bring that number up quite s bit .

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Could be worse, too.  Would be 6M more against the cap with JFM still on the squad.

Doling out stunningly above-market deals to middling players (Lazard, Quincy Enunwa) is never a good recipe for success.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This means nothing.  We have one of the most talented rosters in the league and are about to have a 13 win season.

Accept it jet fans!!!!

Try to enjoy this a little bit.

Realistic outcome if they can stay healthy and Saleh grows up.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Right, but at some point Douglas has to sit across a desk and tell Woody that there’s $52 million dollars of his money gone into the pockets of guys that Douglas signed and then had to dump. Hard to spin that as good, sound roster management even if, big picture, it is. Then that conversation turns to informing Woody he has to—very soon—put hundreds of millions of dollars into escrow to extend Sauce, Garrett, Breece, Jermaine, etc. And all of this while Douglas and Saleh are waiting for extensions, too. Forgetting the football soundness of any of it, this is about Woody writing checks, which is where things usually go south for this franchise

You think Woody has no idea that there’s dead money going towards this rosters clean up?  That he isn’t kept abreast of all of this maneuvering?  Or the costs involved.  

35 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Rodgers 51 mill will be restructured im sure. Which should bring that number up quite s bit .

Then you're adding more void years. I don't think you'd want to do that. 3 years is good. 

After the 2025 season would be teh year to cut ties... Sorry Aaron. At least you end you career with 3 SB Tities!

image.thumb.png.edda37807d1f654002d6d4cfc2cee2bb.png

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You think Woody has no idea that there’s dead money going towards this rosters clean up?  That he isn’t kept abreast of all of this maneuvering?  Or the costs involved.  

I think Woody would be very curious to know why the GM he hired five years ago is in the process of “cleaning up” the roster again and why he’s paid $56 million dollars toward that effort with zero return. 

• Upvote 1