$52 Mil in Dead Cap Space! $9 Mil Available Cap Space

6 hours ago, slats said:

He’s not perfect, that’s for sure, but this roster is light years ahead of the roster he inherited. Losses, I think we can agree, are largely due to poor QB play and a turf that eats offensive linemen. Defense is championship caliber, the offense has actual star level draft picks in Wilson and Breece, and this year they should have something that resembles competent QB play or better. I fully expect JD to be extended regardless of how many times these lazy arguments are brought up. 

Post of the century 

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Woody would be very curious to know why the GM he hired five years ago is in the process of “cleaning up” the roster again and why he’s paid $56 million dollars toward that effort with zero return. 

Hasn’t been the roster holding the team back

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, slats said:

I think we should complain about players being held onto for too long, while also complaining about too many one year deals, while also complaining about dead money. Dead money happens when you move on from players who failed to live up to their contracts. Jets are eating a lot of it this year, and have still managed to put a very solid roster together. This years dead money comes off, and OTC has the team with over $71M to work with next year. This year they’re top three in dead money, next year they’re top ten in cap room.  

I was actually content with JD not using void years this year to reduce the 2024 cap hit. He’s consolidating and moving forward.

7 hours ago, slats said:

Yes it will, that’s the point of making room now. Dead money is what it is. We could reduce the Jet’s dead money by $30M simply by continuing to carry Laken Tomlinson, Zach, Uzomah, and Lawson on the 53 man roster. Would that be a better situation for anyone? I’m thinking probably not. They have a solid roster while simultaneously paying off a big mortgage. That should be seen as a good thing for this year and the future. 

This.

If the goal was to create more room now, they could've extended those guys (or anyway, cut them after 6/1 so the dead cap from the void years wouldn't hit until 2025). Likewise, they could've had one of them count $6MM more in 2023 instead of pushing that amount of cap space to 2024 as a higher ceiling. It's the same thing that yields the same amount of usable cap space, but on this season it'd technically be >10% less "dead" cap, thus improving the optics a little.

It's not the dead cap that's the problem anyway. It's the signing of guys that didn't pan out in the first place, and/or keeping them for longer even after the guaranteed $ was up. Mindless to pay Lawson $9MM when he was an easy cut from his prior $15MM after drafting McDonald. 100 snaps for $9MM. Ditto (if they knew his condition wasn't good) for Duane Brown (another $9MM for a similarly tiny # of snaps). Cook $7MM. The Hardman-Cobb duo another $7MM.

Plus the perceived or actual need to sign such veterans in the first place to fill in where draft picks were supposed to be starting (if not starting at a high level): $35MM/year Rodgers to cover up a whiff on Zach; $9MM/year for Duane Brown and now $10-20MM for Smith (and another upper 1st round draft pick) to cover up for Becton; $11MM for Lazard and $7-14MM for Mike Williams to cover up for Mims + Moore;

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Then you're adding more void years. I don't think you'd want to do that. 3 years is good. 

After the 2025 season would be teh year to cut ties... Sorry Aaron. At least you end you career with 3 SB Tities!

image.thumb.png.edda37807d1f654002d6d4cfc2cee2bb.png

3 SB Tities?

Is Aaron into a female extra terrestrials? 

I'm not judging.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Right, but at some point Douglas has to sit across a desk and tell Woody that there’s $52 million dollars of his money gone into the pockets of guys that Douglas signed and then had to dump. Hard to spin that as good, sound roster management even if, big picture, it is. Then that conversation turns to informing Woody he has to—very soon—put hundreds of millions of dollars into escrow to extend Sauce, Garrett, Breece, Jermaine, etc. And all of this while Douglas and Saleh are waiting for extensions, too. Forgetting the football soundness of any of it, this is about Woody writing checks, which is where things usually go south for this franchise

Yeah but you've gotta appreciate the Jetsyness of Douglas Jetsying up the one good draft the franchise has had since forever.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think Woody would be very curious to know why the GM he hired five years ago is in the process of “cleaning up” the roster again and why he’s paid $56 million dollars toward that effort with zero return. 

I love how people are like "Douglas is nothing like Maccagnan!" even as the board is filled with posts arguing that $52 million in dead cap is actually good, or that people aren't allowed to be pissed that we drafted two running backs because one of them is actually a fullback.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This will be the thing that ends Douglas. Woody doesn’t know sh*t about football, but he’ll be chapped to find out that his mom’s money is being wasted. 

Could be the opposite too.  If this team makes the playoffs and we had $52 million in dead money, with very little (if any) next year and over $70 million in cap space?  He might get his extension.  

If we do not make the playoffs though, I think he will be fired. 

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I love how people are like "Douglas is nothing like Maccagnan!" even as the board is filled with posts arguing that $52 million in dead cap is actually good, or that people aren't allowed to be pissed that we drafted two running backs because one of them is actually a fullback.

Before the draft I was finger-wagging someone (I forget which poster) that they're not going to take even one RB because there are fast or big mid and late round RBs that come out every year who are only as productive as their OLs (very few special guys like Hall out there, and even he gets stuffed plenty when the OL sucks) -- that  what they really needed was a veteran who's not going to whiff on his blitz pickup, and pick up some UDFA backs for camp fodder.

Then he drafted one.

Then he drafted another one. 

Then my dog licked himself for a few minutes, which probably made more sense. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Big Mac spent the 6th overall pick in the draft on a box safety and it was arguably his best pick.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This.

If the goal was to create more room now, they could've extended those guys (or anyway, cut them after 6/1 so the dead cap from the void years wouldn't hit until 2025). Likewise, they could've had one of them count $6MM more in 2023 instead of pushing that amount of cap space to 2024 as a higher ceiling. It's the same thing that yields the same amount of usable cap space, but on this season it'd technically be >10% less "dead" cap, thus improving the optics a little.

It's not the dead cap that's the problem anyway. It's the signing of guys that didn't pan out in the first place, and/or keeping them for longer even after the guaranteed $ was up. Mindless to pay Lawson $9MM when he was an easy cut from his prior $15MM after drafting McDonald. 100 snaps for $9MM. Ditto (if they knew his condition wasn't good) for Duane Brown (another $9MM for a similarly tiny # of snaps). Cook $7MM. The Hardman-Cobb duo another $7MM.

Plus the perceived or actual need to sign such veterans in the first place to fill in where draft picks were supposed to be starting (if not starting at a high level): $35MM/year Rodgers to cover up a whiff on Zach; $9MM/year for Duane Brown and now $10-20MM for Smith (and another upper 1st round draft pick) to cover up for Becton; $11MM for Lazard and $7-14MM for Mike Williams to cover up for Mims + Moore;

Woody might not put the pieces together that Becton busting begat Duane Brown, Elijah Moore begat Randall Cobb, Zach: Rodgers, etc, but having his accountant slide that accumulated dead money total across his desk might make the light go on in that bald little head. And this at the juncture where he‘s going to have to decide whether or not to extend Douglas and also start the process of extending/tagging Garrett Wilson, Sauce, Jermaine Johnson, Breece, etc. Unless Rodgers carries this team to a playoff run this year, Woody will have all the evidence he needs to flush the whole project. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Could be the opposite too.  If this team makes the playoffs and we had $52 million in dead money, with very little (if any) next year and over $70 million in cap space?  He might get his extension.  

If we do not make the playoffs though, I think he will be fired. 

My point is that the accounting is all that really resonates with Woody. It’s the language he speaks, and he’s sitting there with a giant bar tab for players he enthusiastically signed off on who fell flat on their faces to the point where they needed to be prematurely excised from the building. Why would he let the guy who single-handedly ran up a $52 mil dead cap charge on bad free agent signings and high draft picks turn around and spend the next $70 million? 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I thought I was taking crazy pills. Like, why are people yelling at me? I didn’t sign Laken Tomlinson!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What, that people are pissed or that other people think those people shouldn’t be allowed to be pissed?

We’re talking about third day draft picks. The fourth round isn’t round one take four. It’s quadruple priority UDFA. I don’t understand any of it.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yeah but you've gotta appreciate the Jetsyness of Douglas Jetsying up the one good draft the franchise has had since forever.

Woody dragging Sauce Gardner out to the Roscoe Diner to get that blood pumping one more time

34 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What, that people are pissed or that other people think those people shouldn’t be allowed to be pissed?

You’re allowed to be as pissed as you want, lol, it’s just that “people,” think it’s kinda silly to get worked up over the 173rd pick in the draft. If you like it, though, go for it! 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

You’re allowed to be as pissed as you want, lol, it’s just that “people,” think it’s kinda silly to get worked up over the 173rd pick in the draft. If you like it, though, go for it! 

I mean, he has an established back. He drafted a back last year. Then he drafted another back, and then one after that. Doesn’t seem especially coherent. Even the reasoning they’re using—pass blocking? Kick coverage? 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, he has an established back. He drafted a back last year. Then he drafted another back, and then one after that. Doesn’t seem especially coherent. Even the reasoning they’re using—pass blocking? Kick coverage? 

What roster spots on the Jets are left at that point in the draft? What position are you looking to take? I think they saw a hole in their offensive plans at “power back,” and took two shots. The first guy is the one with the serious potential; the second one, though, looks more like a smashmouth back today. I think they saw that as a hole that needed to filled either by a draft pick or a vet and, looking at the available vets, opted to double dip at a perceived need. Both of these guys are different than Abanikanda, who they would like to backup the part of Breece that is a breakaway threat every time he touches the ball. I think they both have paths to the 53, better than other positions. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

What roster spots on the Jets are left at that point in the draft? What position are you looking to take? I think they saw a hole in their offensive plans at “power back,” and took two shots. The first guy is the one with the serious potential; the second one, though, looks more like a smashmouth back today. I think they saw that as a hole that needed to filled either by a draft pick or a vet and, looking at the available vets, opted to double dip at a perceived need. Both of these guys are different than Abanikanda, who they would like to backup the part of Breece that is a breakaway threat every time he touches the ball. I think they both have paths to the 53, better than other positions. 

You need three backs, and one of those you pray never sees the field, and you only have one of them on the field at any given time. But you have five linemen at a time, four to six DBs, two to four LBs. Just simply as a math thing, later picks are better spent at those types of spots. I get drafting the one back to fill that short yardage, clock-burning role, but the second one? A little eye opening. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the obvious position was safety.  I guess they picked one with Mr. Irrelevant, but there is basically an open roster spot there now that might well be filled by another corner.  I don't mind the double dipping or drafting guys that might get cut if things go well.  That is part of picking your poison with BAP. 

OTOH, I totally get questioning the philosophy.  The last time I was comfortable with the philosophy they had traded down and gotten the receiver they might have taken anyway, a QB (draft on every year!) and an OL prospect I really liked.  Yikes.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You need three backs, and one of those you pray never sees the field, and you only have one of them on the field at any given time. But you have five linemen at a time, four to six DBs, two to four LBs. Just simply as a math thing, later picks are better spent at those types of spots. I get drafting the one back to fill that short yardage, clock-burning role, but the second one? A little eye opening. 

S and LB are also generally the meat and potatoes of your cover teams.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

We’re talking about third day draft picks. The fourth round isn’t round one take four. It’s quadruple priority UDFA. I don’t understand any of it.

So the idea is the draft ends and we’re just not supposed to be mad about it?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, slats said:

You know I will!

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

S and LB are also generally the meat and potatoes of your cover teams.  

That’s the thing, too—both of these guys are stiffs. I could see if they wanted to complement Allen with one of the speed guys like Guerendo under the guise of filling out specials, but these two slugs? Odd

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the obvious position was safety.  I guess they picked one with Mr. Irrelevant, but there is basically an open roster spot there now that might well be filled by another corner.  I don't mind the double dipping or drafting guys that might get cut if things go well.  That is part of picking your poison with BAP. 

OTOH, I totally get questioning the philosophy.  The last time I was comfortable with the philosophy they had traded down and gotten the receiver they might have taken anyway, a QB (draft on every year!) and an OL prospect I really liked.  Yikes.

It reminded me of when Iszik took those two JAG receivers in the middle rounds—Shaq Evans and the Oklahoma transfer kid who ended up being good in the CFL. And then again with the Alabama stiff and Chad Hansen.

What if you think the dead cap number number is atrocious and indicative of past mismanagement but you like the current construction of the roster?

Genuinely I think the worst part of this org, apart from the owner, is Nate Hackett and anything non-football-related about #8.

Otherwise, I'm fairly optimistic.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s the thing, too—both of these guys are stiffs. I could see if they wanted to complement Allen with one of the speed guys like Guerendo under the guise of filling out specials, but these two slugs? Odd

Funny people are quoting 4.40 for Allen which I find amusing.  I don't mind them not being rockets. This RB as speedster thing is a fairly new phenomenon.  There were always some like CJ2K, but plenty of successful RB are not that fast.  We already have two burners.  I think it was one of the only position where success correlated with bench.  Maybe short arms keep them from fumbling?

I think they wanted a receiver at 111 and traded down when the guys they like were off the board.  Troy Franklin went at 103 and Javon Baker at 110.  Corley must have been the end of a tier because they traded up and no WR for 15 picks when they had been flying off the board.  Sad thing to me was my poor man's Corley went 213 to the Rams

• Upvote 1