Rogers on Allen

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Lazard is an utter jag we would be cutting if we had any  choice.

Mike Williiams is no spring chicken and coming off a bad injury.

Garrett is elite

We HOPE Corley is as good as hoped but there was the same enthusiasm for elijah moore.

An extra Wr would have been far better in this draft than that extra RB.

We shall see.

I agree that it would have been great if the Jets could have added a 2nd WR in the draft, but the problem is that by not being able to add a WR until the 3rd round, and then with that WR being a slot WR, the Jets didn't have many options to add a 2nd WR.  Most of the WRs left who were decent/good prospects were also slot WRs.  I'm not sure any of them would have helped the Jets at all this season.  Because of that, I'd rather JD have added an IOL in the 4th round along with Allen, rather than trading down twice.  Which WR would you have had JD take in the 4th or 5th round?

10 hours ago, slats said:

It’s probable that Breece will be Rodgers’ #2 target behind Wilson. He likes getting the TE involved, so Conklin could easily come in at #3. As long as Williams is healthy, he’ll get his share - if for no other reason than to free up Wilson downfield more. I expect Corley to be in the top five mix as well.

That’s not a bad core group at all, it’s just that there’s a drop off after them. Their best depth is probably at TE. I wasn’t worried about them not adding another WR late in the draft because I think they’d be better served this year finding one last guy in the mini draft, same place I expect to find the last IOL reserve. They’re in a decent place, and it’s unlikely that they’re done. 

What is the "mini-draft" you're referring to?  Is it camp cuts?  UDFAs?  If it's the latter, I'm not sure the Jets added anyone at either position that will even make the team, much less help. I think that probably the only UDFAs that will make the team or the PS are 3 of the 4 DL they signed Taylor, Watts, and McGregor.

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

What is the "mini-draft" you're referring to?  Is it camp cuts?  UDFAs?  If it's the latter, I'm not sure the Jets added anyone at either position that will even make the team, much less help. I think that probably the only UDFAs that will make the team or the PS are 3 of the 4 DL they signed Taylor, Watts, and McGregor.

Mini-draft is the term Mike Tannenbaum used to describe the roster churn between the draft and the end of camp, but mostly camp cuts. For example, 35 WRs were drafted this year, 20 in the first four rounds, which would suggest that a number veteran WRs can expect to be displaced. Same with any other position. Jets can use their waiver claim or sign FAs not claimed. I’m thinking they’ll be able to find one WR and one guard that way. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Mini-draft is the term Mike Tannenbaum used to describe the roster churn between the draft and the end of camp, but mostly camp cuts. For example, 35 WRs were drafted this year, 20 in the first four rounds, which would suggest that a number veteran WRs can expect to be displaced. Same with any other position. Jets can use their waiver claim or sign FAs not claimed. I’m thinking they’ll be able to find one WR and one guard that way. 

If Tanny could have, he would've traded up in those mini-drafts.

And if Woody had his way, he'd demand we trade for Mr Mini-Irrelevant.

• Upvote 1

It seems unlikely that one guy doesn't rise up out of our 3 RB's behind Breece. With Rodgers back I'm also looking forward to not seeing as many stacked boxes.  Allen and Davis both seem built to face third and short and now Izzy with an off season ? This should be fun to watch in preseason!

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Deep Wr draft

Deep oline draft

We could use another Wr and another guard

Douglas drafted two RBs, after drafting one last year one of the lowest value positions in the league these days.

It's a matter of doing the right thing not a matter of 'we good' as we are.

The dolphins took mailk washington in the 6th round a guy the jets supposedly liked.

I really dont know how we continued to pass on Christian Mahogany when he was available in the 6th round.  Detroit got a great pick who should be a solid NFL guard

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

I don't think Izzy makes the 53, unfortunately. He was terrible in protection last season.....something Aaron will never tolerate.

How about you give a guy more than a few games before you toss him. We had one of the worst olines of all time last year.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

And the OL.  First time since jd’s been here the team has a feel like the eagles/ravens where there’s a power element to it.  

That's what those complaining about taking RBs seem to be missing. These two are big, physical RBs, who can also catch.  So maybe now when it's 3rd, 4th & 1 the Jets can finally convert for a 1st down.

I'm not sure if JD should bare the brunt of all the criticism.  It is the HCs belief and plan as to what type of O they want to run and then it's JD and staff job to find the players that best fit that plan. But it obvious this off-season, whether JD overriding Saleh or a collaborative decision, to incorporate a more physical element into the O. (Corley too) 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, rldev said:

How about you give a guy more than a few games before you toss him. We had one of the worst olines of all time last year.

And an off-season to get stronger and work on his blocking. Wasn't he the youngest player drafted last draft or at least one of the youngest.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I get it. But the Jets also signed Harrell and Riley as UDFAs, two receivers they supposedly really like. And we are talking about depth guys. Guys that will be fighting for the #5, #6 spots. Not critical pieces to the offense. 

And they sign Brady Latham, a Guard they supposedly really like as an UDFA.

I just don't get what people are b**ching about. Jet fans are always b**ching.

'We're allowed to b**ch, we never win!' A lot of teams don't win. Buck up. Enjoy the ride. Nobody wants to hear the constant complaining. 

If we didn't get two good RBs and Izzy completely busted and was a waste of space this year, they'd be b**ching about that. Its not even training camp. Lets see what these guys can do. 

Holy effing christ. The amount of negativing on this board sometimes...

Really pulling for Harrell. Jets could use, at least just as a threat, that speed. Hoping for a Robbie Anderson type find without the drama

• Upvote 3

On 5/11/2024 at 6:59 AM, PepPep said:

I get it. But the Jets also signed Harrell and Riley as UDFAs, two receivers they supposedly really like. And we are talking about depth guys. Guys that will be fighting for the #5, #6 spots. Not critical pieces to the offense. 

'We're allowed to b**ch, we never win!' A lot of teams don't win. Buck up. Enjoy the ride. Nobody wants to hear the constant complaining. 

If we didn't get two good RBs and Izzy completely busted and was a waste of space this year, they'd be b**ching about that. Its not even training camp. Lets see what these guys can do. 

The disease………

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2024 at 8:42 PM, Beerfish said:

Lazard is an utter jag we would be cutting if we had any  choice.

Mike Williiams is no spring chicken and coming off a bad injury.

Garrett is elite

We HOPE Corley is as good as hoped but there was the same enthusiasm for elijah moore.

An extra Wr would have been far better in this draft than that extra RB.

We shall see.

I think Brownlee, Charles and Gipson will have roles in this offense / ST.

I am excited about Brownlee, and hope he put on 10 or 15 pounds this offseason.

Edit: I should have read through before I posted.  Pretty much everyone else is saying some variation.  All a bunch of idiots I guess.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Mooglez source has been outed!!! 

Nope, wrong source.  Conner’s quiet

It’s my nephew, Moggles cousins.  He’d be my source too

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2024 at 6:07 PM, Integrity28 said:

Everybody worried about WR needs to do the math. 4 RBs to feed. Last season it was an epiphany to coaches how good Breece is as a receiver. Rodgers has always killed teams passing to RB.

We’re gonna be alright.

Remember when Leveon bell was going to fix our wr situation?

On 5/11/2024 at 6:59 AM, PepPep said:

With regards to the bold, it's that way on every Jets fan site on which I've ever read or posted, and this is the 6th of those sites.

On 5/11/2024 at 9:01 AM, FootballLove said:

I don't think Izzy makes the 53, unfortunately. He was terrible in protection last season.....something Aaron will never tolerate.

I disagree.  Last season, it totally mattered how the RBs blocked because the OL couldn't block for sh*t.  This year will be (or at least should be) very different.  The OL should be very strong, even after Tyron Smith inevitably goes down with injury at some point.  Of course, if the Jets suffer several major injuries to their IOL, then it will be a different story.  Izzy had an offseason to work on his blocking and get stronger.  The Jets would be foolish to cut a RB with his HR speed that gives our RB corps a more dangerous element and something different for opposing Ds with which to contend.  Bawden is a wasted roster spot.  There is no reason that they can't keep Izzy along with Hall, Allen and Davis.

On 5/11/2024 at 9:35 AM, C Mart said:

That's what those complaining about taking RBs seem to be missing. These two are big, physical RBs, who can also catch.  So maybe now when it's 3rd, 4th & 1 the Jets can finally convert for a 1st down.

I'm not sure if JD should bare the brunt of all the criticism.  It is the HCs belief and plan as to what type of O they want to run and then it's JD and staff job to find the players that best fit that plan. But it obvious this off-season, whether JD overriding Saleh or a collaborative decision, to incorporate a more physical element into the O. (Corley too) 

Good points, and I hear what you're saying, but if more than one of our  IOL go down for more than a game or two with injuries, then the Jets lack of quality IOL depth could sink both Rodgers' and the Jets' seasons. It won't matter too much that both Allen and Davis can catch if Rodgers goes down again.

3 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Good points, and I hear what you're saying, but if more than one of our  IOL go down for more than a game or two with injuries, then the Jets lack of quality IOL depth could sink both Rodgers' and the Jets' seasons. It won't matter too much that both Allen and Davis can catch if Rodgers goes down again.

JMO. I can see a vet IOL that shakes loose being brought in. Not the spot for a rookie this season. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I disagree.  Last season, it totally mattered how the RBs blocked because the OL couldn't block for sh*t.  This year will be (or at least should be) very different.  The OL should be very strong, even after Tyron Smith inevitably goes down with injury at some point.  Of course, if the Jets suffer several major injuries to their IOL, then it will be a different story.  Izzy had an offseason to work on his blocking and get stronger.  The Jets would be foolish to cut a RB with his HR speed that gives our RB corps a more dangerous element and something different for opposing Ds with which to contend.  Bawden is a wasted roster spot.  There is no reason that they can't keep Izzy along with Hall, Allen and Davis.

JKlecko, you're badly minimizing the role of the RB who stays in to block for the QB. For many HCs (maybe all), a RB's ability to pick up a blitzer or chip block a pass rusher is paramount. I don't know if you remember Bill Parcells. Bill would NEVER use a RB for a single play if he struggled with protection. B4 a RB gets on the field to run the ball, he has to prove his metal in pass protection. 

A RB staying in to block is not some 'random thing' incase a defender gets loose. His protection is assignment is part of the overall protection plan. QBs know if the RB is staying in, as do the lineman. A RB will be given a specific gap to protect. If he fails, if he completely whiffs his assignment, the QB gets squashed.

On many designed plays, the RB is considered a 6th lineman with a specific assignment, especially up the middle.

Believe me, Aaron Rodgers will NEVER put his protection in the hands of a RB who sucks at that.

I could be wrong.

16 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

JKlecko, you're badly minimizing the role of the RB who stays in to block for the QB. For many HCs (maybe all), a RB's ability to pick up a blitzer or chip block a pass rusher is paramount. I don't know if you remember Bill Parcells. Bill would NEVER use a RB for a single play if he struggled with protection. B4 a RB gets on the field to run the ball, he has to prove his metal in pass protection. 

A RB staying in to block is not some 'random thing' incase a defender gets loose. His protection is assignment is part of the overall protection plan. QBs know if the RB is staying in, as do the lineman. A RB will be given a specific gap to protect. If he fails, if he completely whiffs his assignment, the QB gets squashed.

On many designed plays, the RB is considered a 6th lineman with a specific assignment, especially up the middle.

Believe me, Aaron Rodgers will NEVER put his protection in the hands of a RB who sucks at that.

I could be wrong.

I knew every thing you said, and am not minimizing anything.  It comes down to creativity.  You have a player with a special attribute you find a way to get him on the field, you don't leave him languishing on the bench; otherwise, you've wasted the draft pick, time and money.  I'm sure that Izzy has worked on his blocking, but even if he never becomes even a good blocker it would be criminal malfeasance to cut him or leave him on the bench.  A smart OC and HC would find a way to utilize his speed and talent.  Not every down is a passing down and not every team blitzes a lot.

As far as Bill Parcells, he could be an a$$hole and shot himself in the foot more than once with his doghouse and his a$$hole ways.  Eff him!

4 hours ago, C Mart said:

JMO. I can see a vet IOL that shakes loose being brought in. Not the spot for a rookie this season. 

I agree that it would be much better to have a veteran than a rookie, particularly a late round rookie.  The problem is that I don't know how much, if any, cap space the Jets will have to sign one.  I'd love to sign Dalton Risner or if he becomes available, Nate Herbig.

• Upvote 1