OTAs 2024, Days 1-3

4 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

The Jets have three guys that have started in the NFL competing for 2 positions.  They have Bernard Converse from last draft who is likely a safety.   They have Mr Irrelevant .   They have 2 FA safeties from last years draft. Unless a FA pro bowler wants to come play here cheap, or we have injuries, I d guess we have all we want and need.

Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

Buzz after a 1 hour OTA practice???  How badly do you guys need info?  Jesus.  I get the excitement but it is literally May 21st.  What kind of buzz or news do you guys expect? 

Lol, I get your point, but they’ve been working out for a bit now.

A lot can, and will, change from May - September, but things like arm strength and improved route running are things that can be seen pretty quickly.  Rodgers’ arm is a-ok and Brownlee has improved a decent amount on his footwork.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

In your opinion, is #3 a main part of the reason they don’t double up on WRs in the draft?

Nah.  They were gonna draft Odunze if he dropped and I still think they would have taken Malachi.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

My dude, you realize you're on a Jets message board right? Like a place specifically designed for people to freak out about anything remotely Jets related? 

Right?

I do to a certain point not an hour into the first open practice of OTA's.  I get it to a point.  Gives me a nice break from work to read posts but not gonna be starving for information on May 21st

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

I personally would take Mangold over mawae (and I think most Jets fans would) but it has to be said mawae had a better resume 

It's an interesting debate at least

Mangold was bigger and more impact at the Los but mawae was a pull master like kelce 

Mawae 8x Pro Bowl, 7x All Pro 

Mangold 7x Pro Bowl, 2x All Pro 

Pretty much nailed it. Plus a lot of folks don't like Mawar's strong NFLPA involvement and ther prefer Nick because of his great personality. Two excellent centers. But the overall better athlete and game day performer was Mawae, IMO. And if you go back and watch both in their best days, you'd be happy with either.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Pretty much nailed it. Plus a lot of folks don't like Mawar's strong NFLPA involvement and ther prefer Nick because of his great personality. Two excellent centers. But the overall better athlete and game day performer was Mawae, IMO. And if you go back and watch both in their best days, you'd be happy with either.  

mangold was the start/peak of the "big center" phenomenon, and most teams look for that player (Tippmann, for example, is more Mangold than Mawae). Before that era centers had to be shortish. Now, it's like 5 tackles out there 

Mawae was the prototypical undersized mobile center, and while teams still have that guy (David Andrews, Aaron Brewer, Kelce, who just retired), for the most part, that's a thing of the past. Given a choice, coaches will take the guy who's taller and 50 pounds heavier  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Always liked Mawae's quieter, understated personality more than Mangold's Barstool Bro thing.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I'm not upset about anything.

Just saying there are still opportunities to improve the roster before the season starts.

Whether that happens or not, remains to be seen.

That was more in relation to @beerfish thinking that we have to burn a mid-rounder to improve at S.  I don't know that signing an established S improves the roster.  Vets aren't always better.  I got two things wrong in that post:  Not sure how I forgot Whitehead signing back with Tampa and which corner they were moving to safety.  We mostly assumed Oliver was replacing Hall as 5th CB and backup in the slot.  RIght after my post there was a tweet that the Jets were moving Oliver to safety.  Ulbrich was in Atlanta when he was drafted and played him in the slot and mentioned him as a possible safety.  He is not too big, but has length and is solid in run support.  

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

I do to a certain point not an hour into the first open practice of OTA's.  I get it to a point.  Gives me a nice break from work to read posts but not gonna be starving for information on May 21st

Surprised we waited this long?

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Really?  I always go the impression he was kind of a douche. 

Maybe he is lol.  I was a kid when he played, so that probably factors.  It also just felt like his arrival (as much as any other player aside from Curtis) legitimized those Jets teams and elevated the franchise.  Mangold was a great player but is also an annoying fanboy of Dave Portnoy and DJT.  Kind of a tough one for me 🤪

• Upvote 4

There were alot of mistakes made before the season last year.

1- Not starting T-I-P-P-Y from day 1.

2- Thinking Lazard is a 2.

3- Bringing in Less than 0 dalvin cook.

4- Having zach as qb2.

I just dont see any of these kinds of issues this year.  I think the front office did a real good job of learning from their mistakes.

If rodgers stays healthy, 13 wins this year!!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

I’m not getting duped again. Miss me with the good vibes in May. Make it through a couple games and then perhaps I’ll believe. 

You got duped cause the qb got hurt 4 plays in?  Injuries happen and when they happen to qbs, it ruins seasons.  

Our qb is healthy and if he stays that way, we are going to have a monster season.  Dont be afraid buddy.  Get on board!!!

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You got duped cause the qb got hurt 4 plays in?  Injuries happen and when they happen to qbs, it ruins seasons.  

Our qb is healthy and if he stays that way, we are going to have a monster season.  Dont be afraid buddy.  Get on board!!!

The Jets are cursed until proven otherwise. 

• Upvote 2

I think when we drafted Allen from Wisconsin and obviously reinforced the oline we're going to rely heavily on the run game with breece and Allen, and obviously the defense. We're going to do that to protect Rodgers. Then come playoff time, unleash Rodgers and go for it

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Man that G Wilson catch was *chefs kiss*. 
Way behind him but incredible adjustment. That’s what elite players do. 

Has the video been posted anywhere yet?

• Bronx changed the title to OTAs 2024, Days 1-3