‘24 Blitzkrieg Jets Defense

On paper the Jets offense will be much improved this season. Allowing the defense to be even more aggressive. So the Jets should opt for more blitzing and all-out attack mode. Then multiply it times 100.

All-out blitzkrieg to blow s—t up. Blow up the QB and the pocket/backfield generally.

Like Rex Ryan poetically waxed: when you hit the quarterback sometimes the entire team feels it. Certainly your own team gets jacked when you blow up the opposing QB.

May an Improved ‘24 Jets Offense = ‘24 Jets Bliztkrieg Defense. Bombs away. 

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

On paper the Jets offense will be much improved this season. Allowing the defense to be even more aggressive. So the Jets should opt for more blitzing and all-out attack mode. Then multiply it times 100.

All-out blitzkrieg to blow s—t up. Blow up the QB and the pocket/backfield generally.

Like Rex Ryan poetically waxed: when you hit the quarterback sometimes the entire team feels it. Certainly your own team gets jacked when you blow up the opposing QB.

Only problem with that is the Jets don’t like to blitz.

The Jets have been as stuck to their schemes as any team I’ve rooted for.  Their philosophy is to create pressure with a 4 man rush.  

But maybe you are on to something ..  it’s taken them until THIS do or die year to:

1. Consider using an elite chess piece like Sauce to shadow the other team’s top WR

2. Move away from their ineffective zone blocking scheme

What I’d like to see is week to week strategic game planning.  Blitz QBs who crack under pressure.  Rush 4 against weak OLs.

While the D has been one of the strongest in the League, it has the talent to be outright dominant.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Consider using an elite chess piece like Sauce to shadow the other team’s top WR

dont speak too fast on that. i read that he will do that some of the times, not all.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

But not being predictable is a good thing on Defense, isn’t it?

I mean if I know the pitcher is throwing 10 fastballs in a row, I have a better chance of hitting it.

not if Sandy Koufax is throwing it!

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, doitny said:

dont speak too fast on that. i read that he will do that some of the times, not all.

Blitzing here and there is fine.  All out, blitz on every play ala Rex is completely different.  
zThe strength of this D is it can generate pressure without putting corners on an island by blitzing all the time

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

But not being predictable is a good thing on Defense, isn’t it?

I mean if I know the pitcher is throwing 10 fastballs in a row, I have a better chance of hitting it.

Knowing the next pitch is going to be and waiting to crush it is nowhere near the same thing as knowing there won’t be a blitz on the next play.  It does nothing to help you stop the pressure if you pass. 

I feel like there's a correlation between bad offenses and some very good defenses... when those offenses start to score more.. the defenses are no longer as efficient as they were. I wonder how often teams adjust their offenses because they believed the Jets were only going to score a number of points you could count with just your ten fingers.

Long story, short.. I think the belief that the Jets offense will improve and the defense will also be as efficient at keeping other teams from scoring is unlikely. I'm not saying I think the defense will be bad, but I think expectations from people of a lot of 30-10 type of games is probably not going to be what we see.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Knowing the next pitch is going to be and waiting to crush it is nowhere near the same thing as knowing there won’t be a blitz on the next play.  It does nothing to help you stop the pressure if you pass. 

I wasn’t trying to give the perfect analogy, just an extreme ‘figurative’ one to make a point.

Knowing what the other team is going or not going to do gives the opposing team an advantage.  Doesn’t mean a slam dunk winning play, just an advantage that adds up over time in a game of inches.

That’s why teams fake blitzes.  Why coaches hide their playcalling spreadsheets, and why some QBs become so confused they ‘see ghosts’.

To be fair to the Jets, they have started to vary their defense and began playing more man last year and less 2 deep zone.  I’d like that flexibility to continue this year because there are 3 different types of coaches:

1. A Coach who makes his squad better than their talent 

2. A Coach who does no better or no worse

3. A Coach who underperforms their talent

For the if it’s not broken, why fix it crowd, I would argue that the Jets #3 Defensive (efficiency) ranking last year was roughly what you would expect for the talent they have.  While it’s tough to improve much over #3, I personally believe it’s a reasonable goal for the Jets to be top dog.

Moving Sauce, varying the game plans more, using 5 men fronts at times (Reddick, JJ, McDonald) and adding in some new blitz wrinkles sounds like a good plan that maximizes their talent and adds a level of unpredictability.

• Upvote 1

Forget schemes and blitzing. Sauce covering their main guy
This year, with a more proficient offense having the ball longer, scoring more. To me just means the D will be more rested and fresh and will play with a lead instead of catch up. Something I’ve been dreaming of for awhile now.
CANT WAIT to watch it unfold

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Knowing what the other team is going or not going to do gives the opposing team an advantage.

Not really.  It’s exactly what the 49rs defense does.  It’s what blitzing defenses do too.  People here claimed that Rex’s defense faded because everyone knew what was coming and then figured out how to stop the blitz.  It’s not like the defense does the same thing on every play, that’s totally inaccurate.  We do blitz though, SF blitzes too, just not as much as a blitz happy D.  Playing a 4-3 is our base D.  We don’t just come at the QB with 4 DL, straight ahead, 3 LBs, 2 CBs and 2 S’s in coverage every play.  

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

For the if it’s not broken, why fix it crowd, I would argue that the Jets #3 Defensive (efficiency) ranking last year was roughly what you would expect for the talent they have.  While it’s tough to improve much over #3, I personally believe it’s a reasonable goal for the Jets to be top dog.

People wanted QW gone.  People said his brother sucked, was a JAG.  The DL was loaded with players when signed were viewed as nothing extraordinary.  Yet the D is ranked 3rd and no matter who they insert the D remains a top ranked D.  It’s silly to claim the CS has no influence on the ranking that the D is just where the talent level would rank on its own. We hired a DC whose history is coaching a top D in Seattle, who was the DC of a top D in SF, and as a HC has coached a top D in NY.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

Jets 2024 Defensive Coordinator: Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

0% the OP was thinking this was at all cringy, but given which army 99% people think of when hearing it, blitzkrieg is still a strange term to first use right after the D-Day's so-widely publicized 80th anniversary.

There are way stranger terms to repurpose, but still I think blitz-heavy or relentless blitzing would've sufficed & wouldn't have lost any bite. Probably get more agreement or from the board than one would get for "Yeah, I totally want our team associated with blitzkrieg -- yay!!" 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

0% the OP was thinking this was at all cringy, but given which army 99% people think of when hearing it, blitzkrieg is still a strange term to first use right after the D-Day's so-widely publicized 80th anniversary.

There are way stranger terms to repurpose, but still I think blitz-heavy or relentless blitzing would've sufficed & wouldn't have lost any bite. Probably get more agreement or from the board than one would get for "Yeah, I totally want our team associated with blitzkrieg -- yay!!" 

Nazi and Gestapo infamy aside (a big ask I know), the German Army was elite due in part to blitzkrieg.  Objectively there is nothing wrong with that term so let's not throw  the baby out with the bath-water.  :)     

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Not really.  It’s exactly what the 49rs defense does.  It’s what blitzing defenses do.  People here claimed that Rex’s defense faded because everyone knew what was coming and then figured out how to stop the blitz.  It’s not like the defense does the same thing on every play, that’s totally inaccurate.  We do blitz, SF blitzes too, just not as much as a blitz happy D.  We don’t just come at the QB with 4 DL, straight ahead, 3 LBs, 2 CBs and 2 S’s in coverage.  

People wanted QW gone.  People said his brother sucked, was a JAG.  The DL was loaded with players when signed were viewed as nothing extraordinary.  Yet the D is ranked 3rd and no matter who they insert the D remains a top ranked D.  It’s silly to claim the CS has no influence on the ranking that the D is just where the talent level would rank on its own. We hired a DC whose history is coaching a top D in Seattle, who was the DC of a top D in SF, and as a HC has coached a top D in NY.  

You can be more predictable when you are really talented.  It was tough to stop Mo Rivera when everyone knew his cut fastball was coming.

Baseball catchers and in this case football coaches hide their signs for a reason.  I don’t know why that’s hard to concede.  You don’t want to always tell the opposition what is coming. You’re right, that’s why the Jets don’t always run the same D.  I’m just asking for even more innovation and creativity.  

In the case of a fake blitz, it might cause the Offense to reveal a blocking scheme or keep the TE in to block.  The goal is to keep the opposition guessing.

The best offenses do that with pre snap movement, etc.  Look at the 2022-2023 Lions.  Do you know who had the least pre snap movement last year?  The Jets.  

Lets not pretend how much the Jets D sucked when Saleh and Ulbrich didn’t have Sauce and others.  They were blown out of the water that first year.

How about how long it took Hackett (who works for Saleh) to start adjusting the offense months after Rodgers was hurt?  Or how it pretty much took an intervention to get Saleh to focus more on the Offense in year 4.  It was so predictably the Jets.

All that said, I agree that Saleh and Ulbrich have done a great job of identifying & developing defensive talent.  

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Nazi and Gestapo infamy aside (a big ask I know), the German Army was elite due in part to blitzkrieg.  Objectively there is nothing wrong with that term so let's not throw  the baby out with the bath-water.  :)     

Meh, babies are common, seen daily, and  and are loved. It's hardly so objective like "society needs to use this term, to be seen in a positive light." 

I'm not starting a holy war over it, deleting posts/threads, or anything remotely close to that, but - subjectively - I think it's less than a cool name to give it. You don't have to agree.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

You can be more predictable when you are really talented.  It was tough to stop Mo Rivera when everyone knew his cut fastball was coming.

Baseball catchers and in this case football coaches hide their signs for a reason.  I don’t know why that’s hard to concede.  You don’t want to always tell the opposition what is coming. You’re right, that’s why the Jets don’t always run the same D.  I’m just asking for even more innovation and creativity.  

In the case of a fake blitz, it might cause the Offense to reveal a blocking scheme or keep the TE in to block.  The goal is to keep the opposition guessing.

The best offenses do that with pre snap movement, etc.  Look at the 2022-2023 Lions.  Do you know who had the least pre snap movement last year?  The Jets.  

Lets not pretend how much the Jets D sucked when Saleh and Ulbrich didn’t have Sauce and others.  They were blown out of the water that first year.

How about how long it took Hackett (who works for Saleh) to start adjusting the offense months after Rodgers was hurt?  Or how it pretty much took an intervention to get Saleh to focus more on the Offense in year 4.  It was so predictably the Jets.

All that said, I agree that Saleh and Ulbrich have done a great job of identifying & developing defensive talent.  

It comes down to this, Saleh and Brick favor a D that doesn’t blitz often, they believe getting pressure out of the DL and not exposing the secondary to risk is more efficient, so do lots of coordinators.  They’ve built a D that works that way.  You’re not going to see a switch from their style because it includes a blitz.  Which they feel is harder to beat because of O’s not knowing when we’re blitzing.  Or just showing blitz.  In their 3 seasons their D has been top 5 twice, why would they ever change what they’re doing?  

Only changes needed have been to the offense, as it should have

• Upvote 1

On the sub-topic of predictability (for anyone interested other than me and Jetnut ;):

Pittsburgh fans wanted to pay for OC Matt Canada’s ticket out of town because they could often predict what play was coming.  

The table below shows that they passed 82% of the time in shotgun formation and ran 90% under center.  

Most teams are pass heavy in shotgun but the disparity under center is amazing.

Reminds me of Paul Hackett’s 95% draw percentage on 3rd and long.

image.thumb.jpeg.ed5ab49ac7d0568d87756411608d68a6.jpeg

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It comes down to this, Saleh and Brick favor a D that doesn’t blitz often, they believe getting pressure out of the DL and not exposing the secondary to risk is more efficient, so do lots of coordinators.  They’ve built a D that works that way.  You’re not going to see a switch from their style because it includes a blitz.  Which they feel is harder to beat because of O’s not knowing when we’re blitzing.  Or just showing blitz.  In their 3 seasons their D has been top 5 twice, why would they ever change what they’re doing?  

Only changes needed have been to the offense, as it should have

Good discussion!  We are 85% in agreement.  I’d just like to adjust the blitz percentage up a bit from its league leading low 18%, especially against QBs who don’t do well against the blitz.

My position is very gray, in fact Im arguing against being too black and white.

What makes us different from the 49ers and other teams with a 4 man pass rush philosophy?  Our trio of CBs.  

We can beat you with both an inside out or outside in strategy.  That’s part of the reason you draft Sauce at #4.  

Yes, we can generate pressure with 4 and sit in a zone.  But we can also cover man vs man rushing 5 or 6.  

Let’s do what the offense often does to the defense.  Use our D to dictate how your O is going to play us because we’re so dynamic against the passing game that we can do it all.  

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh, babies are common, seen daily, and  and are loved. It's hardly so objective like "society needs to use this term, to be seen in a positive light." 

I'm not starting a holy war over it, deleting posts/threads, or anything remotely close to that, but - subjectively - I think it's less than a cool name to give it. You don't have to agree.

It's simply a military doctrine that can/has overlapped into general use.  None the less I'm able to sympathize with your point.  Peace! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Good discussion!  We are 85% in agreement.  I’d just like to adjust the blitz percentage up a bit from its league leading low 18%, especially against QBs who don’t do well against the blitz.

My position is very gray, in fact Im arguing against being too black and white.

What makes us different from the 49ers and other teams with a 4 man pass rush philosophy?  Our trio of CBs.  

We can beat you with both an inside out or outside in strategy.  That’s part of the reason you draft Sauce at #4.  

Yes, we can generate pressure with 4 and sit in a zone.  But we can also cover man vs man rushing 5 or 6.  

Let’s do what the offense often does to the defense.  Use our D to dictate how your O is going to play us because we’re so dynamic against the passing game that we can do it all.  

Agree. Don't need to be blitz heavy, but they should blitz more situationally.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Ulrich said:

As good as Rex Ryan’s defenses were statistically his defenses were painfully frustrating at times. Ryan wasn’t happy with a 3rd and 12 situation - he wants 4th and 22. Invariably many teams beat his blitz 

• Upvote 2

On 6/8/2024 at 9:06 PM, Ulrich said:

Sauce commented (I believe I heard that he did) that he will be traveling with the other teams # 1 wide out this year. That is a major change, hopefully it is true.

Otherwise I am not sure how much they are going to change. Usually I hate zone defenses but these guys play it so damn well. If they can generate a pass rush with the line, I don't see them blitzing all the time. 

Yes they might blitz more but I think they are going to stick with their core philosophy and try to avoid giving up big plays.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I like dropping 7 and rushing 4. On most of those drop back, its 4 receiving targets vs 7 defenders until the other 5th receiver (RB or TE) peals out from blocking. Guys like Jermaine Johnson are awarded effort (or coverage) sacks from the great coverage from the backend. CJ Mosley is slow but he has great route recognition. Williams is the weak link with Whitehead but they're above average most of the time. 

On 6/8/2024 at 8:06 PM, Ulrich said:

I agree since we have the corners and MCII in coverage no reason not to blitz more