Revis vs Cromartie X (Twitter) feud (Revis looking like a stooge again)

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

1. How many players are not motivated by money?

2. Revis bet on himself and gave up some guaranteed money and years, and that worked out for him. Not many players are willing to do that.

All of them, but I think that when you look at most of the all time greats, the money is secondary. It’s a motivation for sure, but not the only thing that drives them to be great. With Revis, it was only about the money. It’s likely why we saw the massive drop off around the same time the jets finally gave him the contract he so badly wanted. Players of his caliber are normally still productive in their age 30-31-32 seasons. Once he secured the bag, his motivation wasn’t there anymore and he was basically done by his age 32 season.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, extmenace said:

All of them, but I think that when you look at most of the all time greats, the money is secondary. It’s a motivation for sure, but not the only thing that drives them to be great. With Revis, it was only about the money. It’s likely why we saw the massive drop off around the same time the jets finally gave him the contract he so badly wanted. Players of his caliber are normally still productive in their age 30-31-32 seasons. Once he secured the bag, his motivation wasn’t there anymore and he was basically done by his age 32 season.

Which is why I think you’re seeing him be prickly now. It’s fair to ask why other greats figured out how to stick around and be productive while Revis was out of the league once he passed on tackling Derrick Henry (and was done way before that anyways).

42 minutes ago, extmenace said:

All of them, but I think that when you look at most of the all time greats, the money is secondary. 

This is such an arbitrary statement, without any basis to prove its validity. Show me a player that makes money secondary, and I will show you a player that is not properly considering his second act (with notable exceptions and qualifiers). 

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

This is such an arbitrary statement, without any basis to prove its validity. Show me a player that makes money secondary, and I will show you a player that is not properly considering his second act (with notable exceptions and qualifiers). 

Wouldn’t say secondary, but there is usually a love of the game. Revis was there simply to cash in and cash out. It’s why he’s likely bitter now. Didn’t use the job to build relationships at all. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Revis didn’t even come close to winning it. Woodson was a Swiss Army knife defender who caused turnovers and you could put anywhere on the field. Woodson overall was a better football player than Revis. 

Revis was a cut above every single defender in 2009; Woodson winning DPOY was an absolute sham that year regardless of their career resumes. Was satisfying to watch Arizona boat race the Packers defense first round of the playoffs. 

• Upvote 3

I'll always be grateful to Cro.  Years back my sis was having a hard time getting prego.  Instead of a fertility clinic, I gave her my NJ Jets Cromartie jersey to wear.  A month later she was prego with twins.  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Revis was a cut above every single defender in 2009; Woodson winning DPOY was an absolute sham that year regardless of their career resumes. Was satisfying to watch Arizona boat race the Packers defense first round of the playoffs. 

Revis 2009 - 2010 was the CB heater to end all heaters.  No other top rated CB in league history touches that.  He was a cash hound out for all he could get, but wtf... why not ??? Not like the cat was a criminal or awful person.  dude just wanted to max his pay.  nfl life is short. 

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

2013 - correct.

2014 - correct.

3 elite seasons and a bunch of “eh” are not worthy of a 1st ballot and 1st ballot is far from “meaningless” in the NFL.

I don’t care that he was once a Jet.  He will never be anything more than a mercenary.  A lonely mercenary who is bitter that just about every single player you could think of is more revered than him by the fanbase, so he lashes out at them for absolutely no reason whatsoever.  He did the same thing to Klecko last summer.

Anyone who thinks Revis’ career was 3 seasons shouldn’t be in any discussion about his HOF worthiness.  
 No matter how butt hurt they are over his wanting to maximize his pay or played for the Pats when they were the only ones willing to pay him

You don't become a master of your craft without caring about it, at least a little bit.  Even if it is secondary to money.

Revis didn't have elite athleticism, but his preparation was meticulous and his instincts unrivaled.

33 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

You don't become a master of your craft without caring about it, at least a little bit.  Even if it is secondary to money.

Revis didn't have elite athleticism, but his preparation was meticulous and his instincts unrivaled.

4.38 40

38 inch vertical

6.56 3 cone

125 inch broad jump

4.08 shuttle

as elite athletically as you’re going to get

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

5-10 years to make as much as they can, often less from getting derailed by an injury. But yes, how dare they.

The one thing that constantly gets overlooked is that his first “holdout” was entirely Tannenbaum trying to strong arm him into a six year rookie contract that was not the norm - at all. If good ol’ Tanny offered a fair, standard four year contract for the slot, he would’ve signed in plenty of time. 

And yeah, I support every player literally risking their long term health for the pleasure of helping billionaire owners earn way more than they ever will get whatever they possibly can. I may not support the Jets paying it, but I’ll always support the player trying to get whatever they can. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/7/2024 at 10:50 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Author made it sound like both were at fault, which is absurd.  Revis instigated and escalated for no reason whatsoever.  F**k that guy.

Mevis can walk out in front of a speeding bus and let the pieces of him fall where they may.

Greedy prick that he is.

• Upvote 1

I find all of the below to be true.

1. Revis' 2009 season is historic not only because of what he did, but who he did it against. It is a season that will likely never be replicated by another CB because of the way that the game is evolving and the way that DBs are being taught to play from grassroots levels. Based only on 2009, Revis was most deserving of DPOY, but Woodson won it because of his larger body of work.  
  2. Revis is in the conversation for the best CB of all time, but that argument is almost entirely upheld by his '09 season. Other CBs such as Woodson and Bailey had significantly better and longer careers as DBs (first as CB and then as S). 
  3. Revis benefitted immensely from (i) Rex's schemes, (ii) Rex being a first time HC in '09 so the league hadn't caught up to his schemes yet, and (iii) Rex being the ultimate defensive-minded players coach who talked the talk on behalf of Revis. 
  4. Revis has and always had a terrible attitude mixed with a bad personality fueled by his uncle. This comprises his relationship with fellow Jets, his thoughts on finances, his attitudes about loyalty, and ultimately his work ethic/passion for the game.
  5. Revis is definitely a HoFer, but similar to Terrell Davis, shouldn't have been inducted on his 1st ballot due to his lack of a prolonged peak (only 3 years) coupled with at least 50% of his career not being HoF worthy. 
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

1. Revis' 2009 season is historic not only because of what he did, but who he did it against. It is a season that will likely never be replicated by another CB because of the way that the game is evolving and the way that DBs are being taught to play from grassroots levels. Based only on 2009, Revis was most deserving of DPOY, but Woodson won it because of his larger body of work.  
  2. Revis is in the conversation for the best CB of all time, but that argument is almost entirely upheld by his '09 season. Other CBs such as Woodson and Bailey had significantly better and longer careers as DBs (first as CB and then as S). 
  3. Revis benefitted immensely from (i) Rex's schemes, (ii) Rex being a first time HC in '09 so the league hadn't caught up to his schemes yet, and (iii) Rex being the ultimate defensive-minded players coach who talked the talk on behalf of Revis. 
  4. Revis has and always had a terrible attitude mixed with a bad personality fueled by his uncle. This comprises his relationship with fellow Jets, his thoughts on finances, his attitudes about loyalty, and ultimately his work ethic/passion for the game.
  5. Revis is definitely a HoFer, but similar to Terrell Davis, shouldn't have been inducted on his 1st ballot due to his lack of a prolonged peak (only 3 years) coupled with at least 50% of his career not being HoF worthy. 

You can endear yourself to your teammates, the organization and to the fanbase, while leveraging your talent for the most money. Revis and his uncle for whatever reason didn’t look at it that way and everything was strictly transactional.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, slats said:

The one thing that constantly gets overlooked is that his first “holdout” was entirely Tannenbaum trying to strong arm him into a six year rookie contract that was not the norm - at all. If good ol’ Tanny offered a fair, standard four year contract for the slot, he would’ve signed in plenty of time. 

And yeah, I support every player literally risking their long term health for the pleasure of helping billionaire owners earn way more than they ever will get whatever they possibly can. I may not support the Jets paying it, but I’ll always support the player trying to get whatever they can. 

Easy to judge when you're not the guy that's one hit away from getting paralyzed. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Easy to judge when you're not the guy that's one hit away from getting paralyzed. 

Absolutely.  But he's not at risk of getting hit any longer and goes out of his way to be a massive jerk.  

52 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Absolutely.  But he's not at risk of getting hit any longer and goes out of his way to be a massive jerk.  

Literally everyone on this forum, myself included, go out of their way to be a massive jerk.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Anyone who thinks Revis’ career was 3 seasons shouldn’t be in any discussion about his HOF worthiness.  
 No matter how butt hurt they are over his wanting to maximize his pay or played for the Pats when they were the only ones willing to pay him

When someone who claims otherwise shows me tangible evidence that he was elite or dominant outside of those 3 years, I’ll worry about their opinion.

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm not butt hurt that he want to the Pats, it's Revis that's going to have to deal with getting wedgied by Satan in Hell for infinity years because of his actions.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This is exactly where I stand. In a just world, he would have been the DPOY in 2009 (Woodson wtf still lmaoooo) and not been a first round hof, but the world aint just.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barton said:

Charles Woodson had a few seasons in his 20's where he was complete bleh. His free agency signing with Green Bay was very low key. 

And Revis was a good, not great CB after he tore his ACL.  And then his last year here he was bad, like Kyle Wilson bad