Hard Knocks - phone call between #Giants GM Joe Schoen and Saquon Barkley when he was told he would be allowed to become a free agent.

I didn't even realize Hard Knocks was going on right now.  But I can't blame Barkley if he didn't circle back with the Giants (and I fear the same thing is going to happen with the Jets and Breece in a year).  The Giants' GM wants promises but isn't willing to step it up to keep the player.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I didn't even realize Hard Knocks was going on right now.  But I can't blame Barkley if he didn't circle back with the Giants (and I fear the same thing is going to happen with the Jets and Breece in a year).  The Giants' GM wants promises but isn't willing to step it up to keep the player.

They should have sent Tommy Cutlets over with a home cooked Italian meal as a peace offering.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can't blame Barkley.  The Giants gave Jones all that money so they could tag him and it doesn't seem like they did much to lock him up from that point on.  That's the risk if you want to let the market set the price. 

Next year Hall will only have 3 accrued years and he will still be under contract and subject to the tag the following year if they like.  A ton of sh*t will happen between now and then.  Barkley came out with Darnold and only finally hit the market this offseason.  The Jets ran off two top three QBs in that time and the only advantage the Giants had was the 5th year option.  You can worry about this in 2026 or 2027.

Edited by #27TheDominator
What is a metric sh*t-ton of sh*t?
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I fear the same thing is going to happen with the Jets and Breece in a year

That will not happen in a year with Breece!  I guarantee it!  Just like I guaranteed that the Jets would not be drafting a tight end with the #10 pick this year, I will absolutely, 100% guarantee that the Jets will be doing everything possible to re-sign Breece to his 2nd contract with the Jets.  

Why am I so confident?  For several reasons, #1:  Breece will have only 3 years of tread wear in the NFL, since he missed 1 year with his injury.  Barkley played 6 years with the Giants, and would need to franshaise him a 2nd time in order to keep him.  #2: I think that Breece has the opportunity, behind this offensive line, to not only have his best year as a Jet, but perhaps end up as the #1 running back in the NFL, easily a probowl candidate.  #3: The Giants miscalculated thinking that no NFL team would be willing to pay Barkley $12M per year for the next 3 years.  The Eagles called that bluff, and paid Barkley $12.5M for the next 3 years.  I will tell you right now, that Joe Douglas will learn from the mistake of the Giants, and not make the same mistake that they did.  Can you even imagine Breece leaving in free agency at 27 years old to go play for the Dolphins or Buffalo Bills?  I can't imagine it, and I won't imagine it.

Breece will be 27 years old next year, and certainly would have enough in the tank for a 3 year extension.  It will happen.  

• Upvote 1

These first 2 episodes of HK Off Season have been entertaining.  It peels the curtain back slightly of things that we guess at here, and we get to see them in action. You are not given too much, but enough to get a gist.

My take is that the Giants did not really want Barkley back, unless it was at worst a league negotiated number. They were absolute they were not going to overpay for him, with other needs. The Dan Jones contract ties their hands.

Seeing Daboll work and talk with QBs at the Combine are worth their weight in watching the show alone. Daboll is a man.

Recommend this series so far, and the Barkley conclusion and the draft should be interesting 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Alka said:

That will not happen in a year with Breece!  I guarantee it!  Just like I guaranteed that the Jets would not be drafting a tight end with the #10 pick this year, I will absolutely, 100% guarantee that the Jets will be doing everything possible to re-sign Breece to his 2nd contract with the Jets.  

Why am I so confident?  For several reasons, #1:  Breece will have only 3 years of tread wear in the NFL, since he missed 1 year with his injury.  Barkley played 6 years with the Giants, and would need to franshaise him a 2nd time in order to keep him.  #2: I think that Breece has the opportunity, behind this offensive line, to not only have his best year as a Jet, but perhaps end up as the #1 running back in the NFL, easily a probowl candidate.  #3: The Giants miscalculated thinking that no NFL team would be willing to pay Barkley $12M per year for the next 3 years.  The Eagles called that bluff, and paid Barkley $12.5M for the next 3 years.  I will tell you right now, that Joe Douglas will learn from the mistake of the Giants, and not make the same mistake that they did.  Can you even imagine Breece leaving in free agency at 27 years old to go play for the Dolphins or Buffalo Bills?  I can't imagine it, and I won't imagine it.

Breece will be 27 years old next year, and certainly would have enough in the tank for a 3 year extension.  It will happen.  

Breece Hall will not be 27 years old until May 31, 2028.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Breece Hall will not be 27 years old until May 31, 2028.

My bad!!  Yeah, I think it is very safe to say that the Jets will be giving Breece Hall his second contract!

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Alka said:

My bad!!  Yeah, I think it is very safe to say that the Jets will be giving Breece Hall his second contract!

As I said earlier, it'll be a while before we have to worry about that.  Lots of sh*t can happen before then.  He could run off to Kathmandu like Ricky Williams by then.  He is under contract for 2025 and tagging RBs is generally a good move because their tag figure is so low.  The only thing lower are kickers.  You'd pay almost $2M more to franchise a TE, and over $5M more to franchise a safety.  

• Upvote 1

I've worked around executives for the last 20 or so years, i can tell you that giant regime is doomed to fail. You couldn't get me into a room with any of those guys where i would leave the room and be like...those are leaders that i can trust.

9 hours ago, bicketybam said:

They should have sent Tommy Cutlets over with a home cooked Italian meal as a peace offering.

LMAO!  I'm sure he would've done it if he could've gotten some kind of sponsorship deal out of it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Schoen seems like a weasel.  You could tell Barkley had no interest in talking to the guy.

The way Shoen talked to him was ridiculously insulting.  Go out and find your best deal and then maybe we'll match it and we'd like your word on that.  

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Wow. Quan wanted nothing to do with being a Giant anymore. Pretty clear with that call.

I thought Saquon was pretty polite actually.  I would've been upset with the way Joe Schoen acted there.  Yeah we really value you, Saquon.  Now go through negotiations with other teams and we'll decide later if we're interested.

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The ego on Schoen to think he had the right to ask Barkley for his word.  That was laughable.

EXACTLY!  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bicketybam said:

This is ok but what if we said  one of the black QB’s should bring a watermelon?

this non stop  selective racism either needs to stop or be open season for all

hypocrites

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Robert said:

This is ok but what if we said  one of the black QB’s should bring a watermelon?

hypocrites

Cringe GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

On 7/10/2024 at 11:22 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

The ego on Schoen to think he had the right to ask Barkley for his word.  That was laughable.

Schoen will be canned soon.  Hes in over his head.

I agree this guy is extremely unimpressive to me, The G men are still in trouble imho

• Upvote 2

This might be way off but I am seeing some of Saleh in Schoen although they do very different jobs. Schoen seems a bit too much hands off for me and relying on his staff. I see the same with Saleh and it has concerned me especially the level of inexperience the Jets have on the offensive coaching staff.

Now of course we are only getting snips of what is going on and who knows maybe schoen is working phones for hours but what they are showing us reminds me of the guy who delegates maybe a bit too much and is not really digging himself.

Guess well see and like I said this could be a very unfair take  

• Upvote 1

NFL Football is a business.  No one should be shocked by this kind of thing.

Team does what it thinks is in it's best interests, players do what they (or their agents) think is in their best interests.

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2024 at 5:18 PM, Robert said:

hypocrites

Yeah if a black QB signs a deal to hawk watermelons, you can make the same comments about that QB. Until then we're left with DeVito shilling for jarred red sauce from his mom's basement in Jersey.

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just seeing this now, but are you out of your ****ing mind?

DeVito literally had the name Tommy Cutlets - as well as Passing Paisano trademarked. The listed purpose of trademarking the former was for:

Pasta; Pizza; Basil, dried; Dried herbs; Dried herbs in powdered form; Pasta and noodles; Pasta shells; Pepper; Pepper spice; Pizza bases; Pizza crust; Pizza crust mixes; Pizza dough; Pizzas; Pizzas; Sauces; Seasoning mixes; Seasonings; Seasonings, namely, dried fennel seeds; Seasonings, namely, italian herb blend; Seasonings, namely, red pepper flakes; Seasonings, namely, basil; Seasonings, namely, oregano; Spice blends; Spices; Spices in the form of powders; Angel hair pasta; Angel-hair pasta; Canned sauces; Cooking sauces; Cracked peppercorns for use as seasonings or flavorings; Dried basil; Dried pasta; Edible spices; Filled pasta; Food seasonings; Food flavourings, other than essential oils, and seasonings; Fresh pasta; Fresh pizza; Frozen pizza; Frozen pizza crusts; Frozen dough for use as pizza, bread or other bread-type products; Garden herbs, preserved; Garlic paste for use as a seasoning; Garlic-based sauces; Natural spices; Organic spices; Pasta sauce; Pepper paste for use as a seasoning; Pesto sauce; Pizza sauce; Prepared pasta; Preserved garden herbs as seasonings; Preserved herbs as seasonings; Processed fennel seeds for use as seasonings or flavorings; Ready-made sauces; Red pepper flakes for use as a seasoning; Rice, pasta and noodles; Sage for use as a seasoning; Sandwiches, namely, sandwiches containing chicken cutlet; Savory sauces used as condiments; Spaghetti sauce; Tinned sauces; Tomato sauce; Tomato-based sauces; Whole dried peppercorns for use as seasonings or flavorings; Alfredo sauce

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=98322887&caseSearchType=US_APPLICATION&caseType=DEFAULT&searchType=statusSearch

gdnuy4.gif 

I was very surprised that no one picked up on that guy's passive aggressive racist remark. Even more surprised it wasn't reported. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just seeing this now, but are you out of your ****ing mind?

DeVito literally had the name Tommy Cutlets - as well as Passing Paisano trademarked. The listed purpose of trademarking the former was for:

Pasta; Pizza; Basil, dried; Dried herbs; Dried herbs in powdered form; Pasta and noodles; Pasta shells; Pepper; Pepper spice; Pizza bases; Pizza crust; Pizza crust mixes; Pizza dough; Pizzas; Pizzas; Sauces; Seasoning mixes; Seasonings; Seasonings, namely, dried fennel seeds; Seasonings, namely, italian herb blend; Seasonings, namely, red pepper flakes; Seasonings, namely, basil; Seasonings, namely, oregano; Spice blends; Spices; Spices in the form of powders; Angel hair pasta; Angel-hair pasta; Canned sauces; Cooking sauces; Cracked peppercorns for use as seasonings or flavorings; Dried basil; Dried pasta; Edible spices; Filled pasta; Food seasonings; Food flavourings, other than essential oils, and seasonings; Fresh pasta; Fresh pizza; Frozen pizza; Frozen pizza crusts; Frozen dough for use as pizza, bread or other bread-type products; Garden herbs, preserved; Garlic paste for use as a seasoning; Garlic-based sauces; Natural spices; Organic spices; Pasta sauce; Pepper paste for use as a seasoning; Pesto sauce; Pizza sauce; Prepared pasta; Preserved garden herbs as seasonings; Preserved herbs as seasonings; Processed fennel seeds for use as seasonings or flavorings; Ready-made sauces; Red pepper flakes for use as a seasoning; Rice, pasta and noodles; Sage for use as a seasoning; Sandwiches, namely, sandwiches containing chicken cutlet; Savory sauces used as condiments; Spaghetti sauce; Tinned sauces; Tomato sauce; Tomato-based sauces; Whole dried peppercorns for use as seasonings or flavorings; Alfredo sauce

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=98322887&caseSearchType=US_APPLICATION&caseType=DEFAULT&searchType=statusSearch

gdnuy4.gif 

i was raised to respect authority and will continue to do so as you are a mod however, I must take issue with the many references above of tomato sauce. It is gravy dammit, gravy.

I am done

• Upvote 2