“Pitch Was Very Difficult”- Lionel Messi Annoyed With Copa America Playing Conditions

12 minutes ago, peebag said:

Soccer.

There, I said it.

You're much better than this. We as fans complaining and tying injuries to the Met Life turf and wanting natural grass is one thing. When arguably a top 3 athlete on the planet complains it holds more truth. I don't think this bodes well for us changing to an all grass surface if Met Life can't get this right in July when the conditions are ideal.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Kolchak said:

While it is fun to take potshots at Woody.  I totally believe the mara's are more responsible for the stadium and its condition than him.

I agree. Read some things lately that support this. 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

You're much better than this. We as fans complaining and tying injuries to the Met Life turf and wanting natural grass is one thing. When arguably a top 3 athlete on the planet complains it holds more truth. I don't think this bodes well for us changing to an all grass surface if Met Life can't get this right in July when the conditions are ideal.

Yes, Messi's athleticism at 5'7 and 148 pounds make the Lebron's, Jordan's, and Bo Jackson's of the world shiver in fear.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Don’t really follow soccer all that closely, but from what I understand the problem is that they’re laying the grass over the turf rather than actually replacing the turf with grass. I believe there were the same complaints at another stadium that followed the same process (Dallas?).

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Yes, Messi's athleticism at 5'7 and 148 pounds make the Lebron's, Jordan's, and Bo Jackson's of the world shiver in fear.

Ummm, with Le Bron James I can see your point, and I was including him in the top athletes world wide but Michael Jordan and Bo Jackson havent played in decades. So by your athletic standards I'm guessing Allen Iverson wasn't much of an athlete either (6' 160)? 

You're going to deny that the opinion of a World Cup Champion MVP from the most popular sport world wide doesn't hold weight in a conversation about the playing surface that has a direct impact on our NY Jets? Thought you knew sports Jack. 

But this is not an argument as who is the greatest athlete today. It is about the playing surface that our 40 year old QB and his teammates will play on.

• Upvote 2

Tuned into the game last night and first thing I said was the field looks terrible

It looked like it was patched together. Not sure how they can host the World Cup final there in 2 years without drastic changes. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Tuned into the game last night and first thing I said was the field looks terrible

It looked like it was patched together. Not sure how they can host the World Cup final there in 2 years without drastic changes. 

I though I saw water splashing as players were running. It was actually sand that was put over the surface.  World class athletes running on sand and grass. What could go wrong? 

1 minute ago, Copernicus said:

I though I saw water splashing as players were running. It was actually sand that was put over the surface.  World class athletes running on sand and grass. What could go wrong? 

Oh dear!  They were running on grass?!?!  Isn't that what we are all whining that we wanted?  I have not seen what they did with the sand, but it sounds similar to those God awful rubber chips that are in field turf.  It probably smells a ton better.  

What were the actual complaints?  As long as it is soft enough and even.  That is what we should be primarily concerned with.  The fact that it is less fun to play should be way less important as far as injuries go. 

1 hour ago, jvill 51 said:

Don’t really follow soccer all that closely, but from what I understand the problem is that they’re laying the grass over the turf rather than actually replacing the turf with grass. I believe there were the same complaints at another stadium that followed the same process (Dallas?).

Does anyone have critical thinking skills anymore? 

Frustrated Ryan Gosling GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kolchak said:

While it is fun to take potshots at Woody.  I totally believe the mara's are more responsible for the stadium and its condition than him.

there was some engineer who showed up and assured me that there's so much concrete under there it's fine but I blame the field conditions on whoever thought building a stadium on top of a swamp was a good idea 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there was some engineer who showed up and assured me that there's so much concrete under there it's fine but I blame the field conditions on whoever thought building a stadium on top of a swamp was a good idea 

I'm thinking cheap owners(mara's) looking at building on cheap land thought it was a good idea. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Ummm, with Le Bron James I can see your point, and I was including him in the top athletes world wide but Michael Jordan and Bo Jackson havent played in decades. So by your athletic standards I'm guessing Allen Iverson wasn't much of an athlete either (6' 160)? 

You're going to deny that the opinion of a World Cup Champion MVP from the most popular sport world wide doesn't hold weight in a conversation about the playing surface that has a direct impact on our NY Jets? Thought you knew sports Jack. 

But this is not an argument as who is the greatest athlete today. It is about the playing surface that our 40 year old QB and his teammates will play on.

Allen Iverson was a tremendous athlete. And I'm sure you can appreciate that 6'0 is much different than 5'7. Iverson probably could have been an NFL WR if that's what he focused on. Messi isn't a pro in any sport but soccer and table tennis.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

i'm not sure Metlife could ever go to an all grass surface that is not somehow portable or still laying on top of turf. With two teams playing - you are either resodding constantly and that will start to pull up or whatever tray/portable system you are using will still not reflect grass in its natural state.

The other is the use of Metlife - it was built for more than just football. Not sure about the other football stadiums that are truly grass but are they serving two teams, concerts and the most recent monster jam derby which I attended. Now that is a story for a whole nother day but to have that event for example, you are covering the grass field in its entirety for a few days rendering everything underneath dead and starting all over.

If the answer is eliminate all the non football stuff, while that is an option and in my heart I do truly believe the state of nj and its leaders are amongst them most honorable you can find, if and it is a big if someone were skimming a few dollars off the top of these events, where do they make up that revenue? 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Oh dear!  They were running on grass?!?!  Isn't that what we are all whining that we wanted?  I have not seen what they did with the sand, but it sounds similar to those God awful rubber chips that are in field turf.  It probably smells a ton better.  

What were the actual complaints?  As long as it is soft enough and even.  That is what we should be primarily concerned with.  The fact that it is less fun to play should be way less important as far as injuries go. 

Exactlly, if it were just grass! Ask yourself, do you want Aaron Rodgers running on the Met Life turf as it is with rubber pellets included? On grass trays with so much sand poured on top it causing players to slip? Or is it 2024 and too much to ask for normal grass playing field that players unanimously want to play on that cause less injuries? They have seemed to have figured this out in Denver, Arizona and multiple places worldwide where the weather conditions are harsh. Why not us? 

3 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Exactlly, if it were just grass! Ask yourself, do you want Aaron Rodgers running on the Met Life turf as it is with rubber pellets included? On grass trays with so much sand poured on top it causing players to slip? Or is it 2024 and too much to ask for normal grass playing field that players unanimously want to play on that cause less injuries? They have seemed to have figured this out in Denver, Arizona and multiple places worldwide where the weather conditions are harsh. Why not us? 

i think the two teams playing in the same stadium are a big factor. There is simply no recovery time. Not sure specifics but Metlife maybe has two weeks from August to Dec where there is no activity on the field.

58 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Allen Iverson was a tremendous athlete. And I'm sure you can appreciate that 6'0 is much different than 5'7. Iverson probably could have been an NFL WR if that's what he focused on. Messi isn't a pro in any sport but soccer and table tennis.

Not sure what your point is, and this is for a different discussion. The fact that Messi is 5'7, and is arguably the best player in his sport (which happens to be the most popular sport worldwide) makes it even more impressive. With most of the world playing soccer as it's #1 sport the competition is even more difficult. How does he do it without height? Weight? Must be even faster/quicker/ more elusive than anyone by far. Is that not athleticism? 

53 minutes ago, Trotter said:

i'm not sure Metlife could ever go to an all grass surface that is not somehow portable or still laying on top of turf. With two teams playing - you are either resodding constantly and that will start to pull up or whatever tray/portable system you are using will still not reflect grass in its natural state.

The other is the use of Metlife - it was built for more than just football. Not sure about the other football stadiums that are truly grass but are they serving two teams, concerts and the most recent monster jam derby which I attended. Now that is a story for a whole nother day but to have that event for example, you are covering the grass field in its entirety for a few days rendering everything underneath dead and starting all over.

If the answer is eliminate all the non football stuff, while that is an option and in my heart I do truly believe the state of nj and its leaders are amongst them most honorable you can find, if and it is a big if someone were skimming a few dollars off the top of these events, where do they make up that revenue? 

Yes, your points are valid, especially the monster truck shows. . Maybe time for Woody to force himself out of Met Life and join Steve Cohen with the Mets and soccer group in Queens. Found this interesting but also cant see how monster trucks would run all over this without it affecting games on Sunday

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Yes, your points are valid, especially the monster truck shows. . Maybe time for Woody to force himself out of Met Life and join Steve Cohen with the Mets and soccer group in Queens. Found this interesting but also cant see how monster trucks would run all over this without it affecting games on Sunday

Damn,

That is pretty cool

Would have to be a new stadium in Queens because if you try that at metlife you are hitting water and hoffa's bones

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Not sure why that matters. He’s great at soccer. Doesn’t have to be good at anything else.

What Messi has is great field vision and decision making. Often times QBs fail because they don’t have those traits.

And his soccer specific skills are through the roof. It’s a like a shortstop who has soft-hands. He has great touch on the ball.

The equivalent in football would be Tom Brady. Would Brady be good at anything but QB? No. But he is the arguably the goat because he sees the field well and makes quick decisions. 

• Post of the Week 1