Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

And there is your leverage.  Offer him a full refund if he plays week 1

Per the NFL CBA, the fines for holding out of mandatory team activities, training camp etc, aren't waivable.

That money is lost.

The only way Reddick could hope to recoup some of it, would be through some kind of additional bonuses, if he were to sign an extension.

And that's if the Jets want to be nice, but Reddick hasn't given the Jets any reason, to go out of their way for him and he has ZERO credibility, or good will to put on the table at this point.

38 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Yes

if you believe that - i don't - then sure it's fair to make the comparison.

however Huff himself had said he wants a different role

"I definitely want to be able find a scheme that sees me as an every-down player," he told ESPN at the end of the season. "It gives me the opportunity to show that I can be a top-tier edge in this league in the run and in the pass."

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I wouldn't say that anything is outside the realm of possibility @bicketybam

All we can really do is speculate, nobody knows for certain, what this guy is thinking - except maybe his agent.

We can make educated guesses, assumptions & give our opinions, but at the end of the day, that's all they are.

You are right. He could decide to spite everyone and hack a foot off with a bone saw. But sitting out the season would do absolutely nothing for him. In fact it's his doomsday scenario. He'd lose a year, the money and he would still be under contract to the Jets next year. He's be better off reporting and half assing it and even that is basically a nuclear option. 

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

You are right. He could decide to spite everyone and hack a foot off with a bone saw. But sitting out the season would do absolutely nothing for him. In fact it's his doomsday scenario. He'd lose a year, the money and he would still be under contract to the Jets next year. He's be better off reporting and half assing it and even that is basically a nuclear option. 

Again, opinions & speculation.

We'll just have to sit back & see what happens.

I don't pretend to know what this guy is thinking - everything he's done to this point, has been pretty unorthodox.

• WTF? 1

48 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

He can show up week 6, and it still counts and he'll be a FA next year.

But, he's not being smart.  Show up this year, play well, he will get paid 20 million+ by someone next year.  Or, hold out, show up late and out of shape, have a mediocre season, and next year sign a 1 year 5 million prove it deal somewhere.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

i am shocked he doesn't do a hold in

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

"I definitely want to be able find a scheme that sees me as an every-down player," he told ESPN at the end of the season. "It gives me the opportunity to show that I can be a top-tier edge in this league in the run and in the pass."

He wanted a different role so he could get paid in free agency.  That was his objective. Jets pay him the objective is met

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

I would guarantee his contract, give him incentive bonuses (while also telling him that they do not intend to play him enough to cost a second round draft pick) and agree not to franchise tag him in 2025.  

Woody does not want to owe a 30 year old DE who is acting dishonorably big money in 2025+ when the Jets may have a new coach and a new scheme.  

Reddick has badly managed his career/contracts but it is not the Jets fault.  Let him play on a good team on a good defense that will showcase his talents and cash in as a FA in 2025.  We will take the comp pick.  

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How do you know what he wants? Maybe he just assumes retire rather than risk life changing injury for what he considers not enough money?

I didn't think there was an option with lower chances of happening than him sitting out the entire season. Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

I didn't think there was an option with lower chances of happening than him sitting out the entire season. Thanks for that.

you miss the point which is you don't know what he's thinking. This is not normal behavior. If you consider a range of outcomes, I don't think retiring is off the table. Maybe a low percentage but still within the range of possibility.

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

He could have done what Aiyuk and Chase are doing, which is a "hold-in": show up and refuse to participate. For some unknown reason, doing that is subject to zero fines. I'm not seeing what Reddick gets out of a regular holdout that he wouldn't get with a hold-in.

The cost to the team is maybe/probably the same (it's a fine; different than docked pay, or that's my guess). But this way it costs him nothing while he's pressuring the team, and if anything his presence - and the visual distraction that could be - can further pressure the front office.

Also accruing these fines makes an agreement - which the player and team both want - that much more difficult, because by now already it's another million the team has to ante up just to make up for the fines he'll have to pay, and before the month ends still another million will accrue.

Maybe there's a good reason for this tactic that someone can explain, because it escapes me at the moment. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He could have done what Aiyuk and Chase are doing, which is a "hold-in": show up and refuse to participate. For some unknown reason, doing that is subject to zero fines. I'm not seeing what Reddick gets out of a regular holdout that he wouldn't get with a hold-in.

The cost to the team is maybe/probably the same (it's a fine; different than docked pay, or that's my guess). But this way it costs him nothing while he's pressuring the team, and if anything his presence - and the visual distraction that could be - can further pressure the front office.

Also accruing these fines makes an agreement - which the player and team both want - that much more difficult, because by now already it's another million the team has to ante up just to make up for the fines he'll have to pay, and before the month ends still another million will accrue.

Maybe there's a good reason for this tactic that someone can explain, because it escapes me at the moment. 

@Sperm Edwards

From the word go, I didn't understand Reddick's approach to this situation and I still don't.

And I totally agree that a hold-in, would have been the smarter strategy.

• Upvote 2

On 8/7/2024 at 9:15 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Heading into the offseason, with Huff earning the UFA status he wanted, the Jets had under contract: starter JFM (whom they'd held onto until after the Reddick trade went through); recent 1st round starter JJII; another 1st rounder in McDonald (who was drafted at least in part because Huff wouldn't sign an extension when he was a 2023 RFA that spring before they drafted another player at his position); and another young rotational DE in Clemons. So Huff wasn't going to still be here anyway, except for one more season by overpaying him via the franchise tag to be a situational pass rusher again, and after being forced to bet on himself for a 3rd straight season via the tag, more likely than not would be holding out himself if that was how he was retained. 

Aside from ignoring that reality of the Huff situation, and his obvious desire to go where he felt he'd be given the opportunity to full-time start, what makes you think Huff would be starting on the Jets right now over Clemons anyway? Even last year when Saleh/Ulbrich handed out a nominal starting nod, Huff had zero starts and Clemons - playing at DT-weight - had one start (the 30-0 Miami game; and before you put that score on Clemons getting the starting nod over Huff, Miami's first TD was a 1-yard drive after Zach fumbled, and the one big 60-yard TD pass came on a 1st down drive-starter with Huff not Clemons on the field). 

Huff had one 10-sack season -- by the skin of his teeth in a meaningless 17th game of a contract year, against a 12.9 ppg Pats offense's 3rd string LT for both his sacks, who was blindside blocking for no QB with no one to throw the ball to, with Beli still having Zippo drop back almost 40 times, and the second of his two sacks coming with under a minute left with a 2-TD lead in the snow. 

I liked Huff plenty - we all did - and would be happy to still have him on the team, but with reactions like this you'd think the end they lost was Myles Garrett.

Besides, the Jets' f-up at DE wasn't over a situational player in Huff. It was when Douglas (if not Douglas/Saleh/Ulbrich) went full-starter DE shopping in free agency in 2021 and decided they'd make their play for Carl Lawson instead of Trey Hendrickson.

I agree but if you’re going to mention how he barely eclipsed 10-sacks, then you really should mention his playing time. 

I think if Reddick is not holding out, I would feel less animosity. This is something that could’ve easily been avoided. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I agree but if you’re going to mention how he barely eclipsed 10-sacks, then you really should mention his playing time. 

I think if Reddick is not holding out, I would feel less animosity. This is something that could’ve easily been avoided. 

His playing time is only lower because he's off the field on obvious running downs and another big chunk of run-or-pass downs.

No one is happy about Reddick's holdout, but thus far - a full month away from the first game - it's not yet an issue. Even arriving late is still-less of an issue on this DL given the amount of rotation the coaches use anyway. Still less given Reddick's history as a veteran; it's not like he's a puppy learning new concepts.

If he was acquired midseason no one would be crying about how many weeks it's going to take him to get up to speed with the rest of his teammates.

20 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He'll be back by the first pre-season game.

The guy is not going to throw away $14mm away.  Just sit tight everyone.  

A lot of concerns for this season- but this isn't one of them.

He's already thrown away a million +

First pre-season game is Saturday by the way, 2 days away.

30 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

He's already thrown away a million +

First pre-season game is Saturday by the way, 2 days away.

I'm of 2 minds.

From what I've read, the monetary pressure increases significantly for the pre season games. He will go from owing over a mil to $2.7m+ for missing the game. That's a big jump, and with the Jets seemingly not budging (which I'm glad about) I truly don't understand the logic for Reddick here. Especially since (as discussed) he simply has to show up to avoid this. Even if he refuses to participate. I am somewhat hopeful he does at least appear. JD has stated contract renegotiations will only occur once he shows up anyway. 

Of course, I logically thought Reddick would be here for the start of training camp. It seems logic's out the window. Maybe Reddick is nursing a secret injury or some other personal issue? Maybe his agent is secretly will McDonald's Uncle? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Reddick is a nice to have.  We dont need him and. that is exactly why we are calling his bluff and not budging.

Who cares if he shows up.  

We will be 13-4 with him and 13-4 w/o him.

You don’t need him until it’s 3rd and 5 for the 49ers in the red zone on Monday night and the game is on the line

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

You don’t need him until it’s 3rd and 5 for the 49ers in the red zone on Monday night and the game is on the line

Thats when jermaine johnson, willie mac or quinnen will come up the middle and take care of business.

Reddick is a nice to have.  Thats it.

• Sympathy 1

At this point F it.. JD hold your ground. Was there a verbal commitment to play out this year on the existing deal? Maybe, maybe not. But at this point sure, JETS would prefer to have him, but its costing him $ and of course there is the actual football shape aspect.

If Im JD - Hey we had an agreement, you changed your mind when we traded JFM. You misread the room. We then offered some kind of deal that was turned down (rumor).  So sit out, enjoy the bench when you come back and get a few snaps a game.

Ideally he wouldn't be as ignorant about how he is going about it, but we were a top D without him. With any level of QB play our D would have been better and more rested throughout games. We will have a top D without him again. He could make it more towards overall top D but Rodgers Revenge Tour gonna be in full effect. 

Enjoy losing your money H. Nice showing by Will today... hope he keeps it up...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

At this point F it.. JD hold your ground. Was there a verbal commitment to play out this year on the existing deal? Maybe, maybe not. But at this point sure, JETS would prefer to have him, but its costing him $ and of course there is the actual football shape aspect.
If Im JD - Hey we had an agreement, you changed your mind when we traded JFM. You misread the room. We then offered some kind of deal that was turned down (rumor).  So sit out, enjoy the bench when you come back and get a few snaps a game.

Ideally he wouldn't be as ignorant about how he is going about it, but we were a top D without him. With any level of QB play our D would have been better and more rested throughout games. We will have a top D without him again. He could make it more towards overall top D but Rodgers Revenge Tour gonna be in full effect. 
Enjoy losing your money H. Nice showing by Will today... hope he keeps it up...

Yeah trading an asset for a player (who the entire league knew he wanted a bump in pay this year) and then playing hardball with him is genius move. Players will be tripping themselves coming here.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

NFL needs to create simply rule. For every game you hold out, you are suspended double for following season, or seasons. Miss 10 games out next 20.

the nfl can’t simply create a rule. It has to be collectively bargained with the union and the players will never go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

On 8/7/2024 at 10:19 AM, batman10023 said:

Huff wanted a different role beacuse im sure he felt the full time role would mean full time money. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Reddick is a nice to have.  We dont need him and. that is exactly why we are calling his bluff and not budging.

Who cares if he shows up.  

We will be 13-4 with him and 13-4 w/o him.

Just a 3rd round gift to the Eagles. 

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade