Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think that’s gotta be a part of Reddick’s calculus—if he settles for less to get into camp and Saleh decides to play him on 30% of the snaps in a rotation and he puts up 7-8 sacks as a result, who wins there? Then he’s signing tiny Leonard Floyd deals the rest of the way. This is his last realistic shot at a payday, as his agents have undoubtedly informed him. 

the only way to truly gain leverage here would be Woody extending Douglas and Saleh. Then they can truly talk Redick to kick rocks 

• Upvote 1

Gotta guess Sexton and Reddick know Douglas is angling for a new contract too. Woody extending him now would put the ball in the Jets court, but if Redick sits out the year and then the Jets have a new GM. New ball game too.

• Haha 1

Honestly, I forgot he was on the team. Let's see if he shows up, but it sucks the Jets traded for a guy who they knew wanted a new contract, and failed to get him under contract. 

• Upvote 1

Trading Reddick leaves the Jets with $20 mil in cap space; $60+ mil in 2025. Would you rather have that cap space available for a potential Davante Adams deal or would you rather watch Douglas have a prolonged dick-measuring contest with an agent who’s repeatedly beat the Jets down in negotiations?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

If some team comes knocking with a 2nd or 3rd round pick and takes over the debt to PHI, I wouldn't hate it.  Basically, it would amount to a free pick which, if you consider it a swap for letting Huff walk, is far better than the comp pick he would have garnered.

Now it does leave us a little thin at DE this year in an all-in year so I would much rather have Reddick playing, but if that's the way it turns out, a free pick isn't the worst thing in the world. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Trading Reddick leaves the Jets with $20 mil in cap space; $60+ mil in 2025. Would you rather have that cap space available for a potential Davante Adams deal or would you rather watch Douglas have a prolonged dick-measuring contest with an agent who’s repeatedly beat the Jets down in negotiations?

If you're telling me Jets can get Adams and Justin Simmons if they trade Reddick, I'd probably change my tune on saying let him sit.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Generally I'd agree, but Reddick's deal lacks guaranteed money. I think they'd all understand that he doesn't want to risk injury before he at least got some guaranteed/a raise. If they had the leverage and ability, they probably would too. NFL is a business.

Of course, whatever Reddick's up to now will surely NOT endear him to the team lol

Please clarify this for me if possible...   Riddicks deal included guaranteed money... hes just received it all already.  His salary for this year while technically not guaranteed its about 100% a lock to be received...does he think hes getting waived and will not receive his full salary this year?  And arent veterans full salaries guaranteed if they are on the roster week 1?   Just wondering where the issue with guaranteed money is coming from.  Unhappy with his salary is a different argument.   

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They were (with Reddick), and probably still are, going to target Adams at the deadline.  Nothing with this situation changes that so Reddick and his agents can go f*ck themselves.

I haven't been through all the pages since I first posted Reddick's request for a trade, but JD has promptly denied Reddick's trade request. Apologies if this has been posted already

Haason Reddick trade request denied: Why Jets won't honor edge rusher's plea for new scenery (msn.com)

It's only been a few months since Haason Reddick joined the Jets organization, but he's reportedly spent enough time in New York.

The Pro Bowl edge rusher requested a trade from the organization on Monday, Aug. 12 after weeks of holding out from training camp. Reddick is in the last year of his contract and wants to sign a new deal before reporting to the team.

Since neither side has come to an agreement, Reddick formally requested a trade from the organization. He arrived via a trade with the Eagles in March 2024.

The Jets have since publicly denied the edge rusher's plea for a change of scenery. Here's what general manager Joe Douglas said.

Why the Jets denied Haason Reddick's trade request

Douglas released a statement about 30 minutes after Reddick's trade request went public. The Jets general manager stood his ground, retaining the position the organization has held since March.

"We have informed Haason that we will not trade him, that he is expected to be here with his teammates, and that he will continue to be fined per the CBA if he does not report," Douglas said. "Since the trade discussions back in March we have been clear, direct, and consistent with our position.

Reddick will be a major piece to New York's defense that looks to continue its stellar play from 2023. The Jets had the highest-rated defense in 2023, according to Pro Football Focus.

Pairing that with the return of Aaron Rodgers, who played just four snaps in the 2023 season, makes for a playoff contender. The championship window with Rodgers is tight, so the organization wants to keep Reddick to maximize its chances of winning a Super Bowl.

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

the only way to truly gain leverage here would be Woody extending Douglas and Saleh. Then they can truly talk Redick to kick rocks 

I would be so furious if Woody extended either of them right now. Holy sh*t. That’d be reminiscent of the time they kept Rex for an extra year because he went 8-8. I still remember the dagger text from @slats when it happened. Gutted.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

They were (with Reddick), and probably still are, going to target Adams at the deadline.  Nothing with this situation changes that so Reddick and Sexton can go f*ck themselves.

With Reddick, they have $6 mil in cap available. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

“Joe, Howie Roseman on line 2”

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I would be so furious if Woody extended either of them right now. Holy sh*t. That’d be reminiscent of the time they kept Rex for an extra year because he went 8-8. I still remember the dagger text from @slats when it happened. Gutted.

Same obviously. But Jimmy Sexton knows Douglas is never seeing 5 million a year again unless he actually wins this year. Joes desperate too.

• More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

If he sits out this year, are the Jets charged his current contract on the 2023 cap or would that be pushed forward with his rights?

Gonna be honest:  I have no idea.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Then why didn't he trade him instead of letting him walk?

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

maybe because you can't trade free agents?

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He should have been traded during the season, since it was over in October

Yuppp.  The Jets needed to decide to be buyers or sellers last trade deadline and chose....neither.  The moment Rodgers went down they should have sold off a few pieces on expiring deals, starting with Huff.  Especially given we were entering the draft with no 2nd rounder - we needed more capital.

Also should have lost 2 more games so we could have gotten aa stud WR rather than a meh OT but oh well.

In any case this is still not a good idea by Reddick.  The Jets may be eternally stupid but that doesn't make this a smart decision by Reddick's camp.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets were 4-3 prior to the trade deadline. You wanted them to trade their best situational pass rusher at that point?

Yes.  It was clear they weren't bringing him back and Zach Wilson was our QB (with no QB's added other than Siemian, either).  That 4-3 mark was about to fall apart, as the savvy amongst us predicted.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yuppp.  The Jets needed to decide to be buyers or sellers last trade deadline and chose....neither.  The moment Rodgers went down they should have sold off a few pieces on expiring deals, starting with Huff.  Especially given we were entering the draft with no 2nd rounder - we needed more capital.

Also should have lost 2 more games so we could have gotten aa stud WR rather than a meh OT but oh well.

In any case this is still not a good idea by Reddick.  The Jets may be eternally stupid but that doesn't make this a smart decision by Reddick's camp.

Didn’t sign Wentz (who was begging the Jets to sign him) and just rolled right on through with Zach Boyle and Simien and Huff blowing away in the dust. Like sand through the hourglass

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do you think they turned down offers?  They tendered him at a 2nd and did not get a bite.  Not a nibble, but hey,I am sure that teams were lining up to trade high picks for him.  I believe at the trade deadlne he had tied his career high in sacks.  3.5!  I supposed Douglas is negligent for not spinning that into multiple firsts.. 

The way some of you defend Douglas you'd think he would have won a SB instead of having a worse record than our last 2 GMs.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The way some of you defend Douglas you'd think he would have won a SB instead of having a worse record than our last 2 GMs.

As usual the truth is somewhere in the middle when it comes to JD.  Is he the best caliber of GM Woody Johnson will ever be able to hire (which thus causes us to overrate him)?  Probably.  Is he a good GM?  Ehhh....no.  Probably average at best.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think that’s gotta be a part of Reddick’s calculus—if he settles for less to get into camp and Saleh decides to play him on 30% of the snaps in a rotation and he puts up 7-8 sacks as a result, who wins there? Then he’s signing tiny Leonard Floyd deals the rest of the way. This is his last realistic shot at a payday, as his agents have undoubtedly informed him. 

C’mon now. Reddick comes in tomorrow, he’s starting on opening day. If he’s getting less than 65% of the snaps from there, it’s because he sucks and no one is gonna pay him, anyway. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes.  It was clear they weren't bringing him back and Zach Wilson was our QB (with no QB's added other than Siemian, either).  That 4-3 mark was about to fall apart, as the savvy amongst us predicted.

They either needed to bring in a viable QB (Brissett was on the block for a third) or they needed to make business decisions on dumping players for picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The best pass blocking ot in the draft is not meh

5 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

That is not a defense of Douglas.  It is a statement of fact. 

The way some of you bitch and whine you act like you'd have thought it was smart to lock up Huff for $50+M before he ever had 4 sacks  in a season.  We are stupid for giving guys that only produce in their contract year money and stupid when we dont.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

C’mon now. Reddick comes in tomorrow, he’s starting on opening day. If he’s getting less than 65% of the snaps from there, it’s because he sucks and no one is gonna pay him, anyway. 

I just don’t get why Saleh would dump his beloved rotations for a 30 year old player, though. The whole idea behind them is to keep his rushers fresh for fourth quarters and the playoffs

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

We ended up losing 10 sacks that likely won’t be replaced 

Doubtful 

For your math to work, the guys replacing Huff would have to net ZERO sacks.

MacDonald had 3 sacks last year with marginal playing time. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The way some of you bitch and whine you act like you'd have thought it was smart to lock up Huff for $50+M before he ever had 4 sacks  in a season.  We are stupid for giving guys that only produce in their contract year money and stupid when we dont.

Exactly this... The insufferable lot of you that hates JD sucks... And there is a middle ground

He is a young ascending gm

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Developing a young pass rusher and letting him walk for nothing is extremely stupid and bad management. There is no defense you can come up with except hyperbole about multiple 1sts.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

1. The Raiders have no choice but to eat money on that contract to get a deal done.

2. You were probably going to see Lazard included in any deal for him.

3. There are far more ways to manipulate the cap.

The Adams talk never centered around Reddick’s situation.  He has absolutely zero leverage and the Jets don’t owe him sh*t.

If the Raiders eat money, that’d be in exchange for a higher pick going back. As is, $6 mil in cap space is basically ticketed for emergency funds. It’s nowhere near enough to take on Adams, even at the deadline.

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Doubtful 

For your math to work, the guys replacing Huff would have to net ZERO sacks.

MacDonald had 3 sacks last year with marginal playing time. 

If Redick is out, I doubt they will. And it seems like he’s out.