Who Stood out in Jets 20-17 win Over Commanders?

Great play by Corley with Kuntz to show some playmaking skills as well as the kick return where he got a nice gain. I guess I was expecting him to already be ready to replace Gibson on the WR depth chart but I don’t think so quite yet. 

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

Jd has had his misses with two of them being first rounders but the guy has rebuilt this roster with depth at every position and when cuts come, those let go will be picked up quickly by other teams

he catches a lot of sh_t around here but really has done a very good job

Best, young gm in the league who will get a monster extension very soon.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Best, young gm in the league who will get a monster extension very soon.

The main reasons the wins haven’t come are drafting Zach AND making him the primary backup last year as a contingency to injury risk that ultimately was realized 4 plays in.  Bad planning meets bad luck.

Quite frankly, JD and the entire leadership team screwed up so massively last year that it would have been fair to have fired all of them.  ‘All eggs in an aging Rodgers basket without any vision to adjust (until once again it was too late).’

We’re a full year behind schedule making the playoffs assuming a 3 year rebuild starting with JD’s first FA/draft cycle in 2020.  You need tools to rebuild so it really isn’t fair to start with the June 2109 date he was hired.  Both prime FA and the DRAFT were over.

As a registered independent, I don’t think it’s fair to overlook the multiple critical failures of this regime.

On the other end, smh when I read it’s year 6.  This is year 4 of a complete rebuild (Gase, Darnold, rookie QB, talent deprived roster, bad salary cap situation).  1 year behind a reasonable and realistic schedule.  

JD has done enough to get one last shot.  Saleh gets that same shot because of the QB situation.

Lets see what happens this year before anointing JD anything, let alone extending him :).

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

What about the team’s UDFA which are part of the draft process?

Mentioned Tony Adams as a hit.  The guy is about an average starting safety, not too shabby for an undrafted CB out of Illinois.  

Would need to see more from Gipson and Brownlee before forming an opinion about them becoming hits.  Gipson obviously needs to improve ball security but has some promise after the catch.  Brownlee needs to move up the depth chart to even make the active roster.  

Huff is the big overall hit from the 2020 draft  as an UDFA but it wouldn’t change my overall draft grade.  Or maybe the F- becomes an F ;).  I’m not sure JD or RS even appreciated what they had until midway thru Huff’s 3rd season.

Did I miss anyone?  

As sports fans, we all have guys who we probably love more than their production warrants.  Brandon Smith is near the top of that list of Iowa Hawkeyes for me.  He did’t put up big numbers, and a lot of that is the system.  He’s not super athletic, but he’s big and strong and tough.  He always seemed to make a big play when needed.  That’s why I loved him so much.  Today was like going back in time to Iowa.  2 catches for 70 yards and pivotal in the outcome of the game.

He is a long shot to make the team but I’m pulling for him.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Drums said:

Great play by Corley with Kuntz to show some playmaking skills as well as the kick return where he got a nice gain. I guess I was expecting him to already be ready to replace Gibson on the WR depth chart but I don’t think so quite yet. 

Seems like a guy who might stick on KO return and make some noise for us.

• Upvote 1

Watched the NFL highlights from the game, on YouTube. Sure didn't make us look any good. Looked like commanders scored with not prob...not ssayijg it means anything but damn it will be nice after this Superbowl when they start making us look good in these dumb videos. Right now jets get no love

Watched the NFL highlights from the game, on YouTube. Sure didn't make us look any good. Looked like commanders scored with not prob...not ssayijg it means anything but damn it will be nice after this Superbowl when they start making us look good in these dumb videos. Right now jets get no love
Opening drive was Washington's starters vs. our backups, for context.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Opening drive was Washington's starters vs. our backups, for context. emoji6.png

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Context?  What is this "context" you speak of?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Mentioned Tony Adams as a hit.  The guy is about an average starting safety, not too shabby for an undrafted CB out of Illinois.  

Would need to see more from Gipson and Brownlee before forming an opinion about them becoming hits.  Gipson obviously needs to improve ball security but has some promise after the catch.  Brownlee needs to move up the depth chart to even make the active roster.  

Huff is the big overall hit from the 2020 draft  as an UDFA but it wouldn’t change my overall draft grade.  Or maybe the F- becomes an F ;).  I’m not sure JD or RS even appreciated what they had until midway thru Huff’s 3rd season.

Did I miss anyone?  

Huff, who had the best pressure rate as a situational pass rusher the past 2 years doesn’t move the needle. The Jets resigned him as a restricted FA. How in blue blazes did they not appreciate him? 

Gipson is a slightly above league average returner. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Claymation said:

Huff, who had the best pressure rate as a situational pass rusher the past 2 years doesn’t move the needle. The Jets resigned him as a restricted FA. How in blue blazes did they not appreciate him? 

I think the fans' perception of Gipson is based entirely on that one punt return TD against Buffalo.  If he didn't have that, would anybody even give a ish about the guy?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the fans' perception of Gipson is based entirely on that one punt return TD against Buffalo.  If he didn't have that, would anybody even give a ish about the guy?

He averaged just under 10 yards per punt return last year. That makes him above average. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Seems like a guy who might stick on KO return and make some noise for us.

Definitely and I can see him overtaking Gibson before season's end. I think it really depends on if Hackett and the offensive coaching staff take until the last week of the season to realize he is good at things.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can someone summarize the replay of the game for me.  I can't bear to watch it.  

Sorry, not my job to go through the game so some SOJF can get through a game where the team played well enough

15 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The main reasons the wins haven’t come are drafting Zach AND making him the primary backup last year as a contingency to injury risk that ultimately was realized 4 plays in.  Bad planning meets bad luck.

Quite frankly, JD and the entire leadership team screwed up so massively last year that it would have been fair to have fired all of them.  ‘All eggs in an aging Rodgers basket without any vision to adjust (until once again it was too late).’

We’re a full year behind schedule making the playoffs assuming a 3 year rebuild starting with JD’s first FA/draft cycle in 2020.  You need tools to rebuild so it really isn’t fair to start with the June 2109 date he was hired.  Both prime FA and the DRAFT were over.

As a registered independent, I don’t think it’s fair to overlook the multiple critical failures of this regime.

On the other end, smh when I read it’s year 6.  This is year 4 of a complete rebuild (Gase, Darnold, rookie QB, talent deprived roster, bad salary cap situation).  1 year behind a reasonable and realistic schedule.  

JD has done enough to get one last shot.  Saleh gets that same shot because of the QB situation.

Lets see what happens this year before anointing JD anything, let alone extending him :).

Saleh gets a black mark over Douglas for starting Boyle at any point last season especially since siemien was in camp for about five weeks before being used.  And saleh further gets a black mark for not knowing a thing about offense.

4 hours ago, Claymation said:

They had signed Jacob Martin as a free agent before Huff’s 3rd year and then wound up trading him mid season to give reps to … wait for it … Bryce Huff.

Then they drafted Will McDonald to replace … Bruce Huff.

Where are the stats to show Gipson as above average?  He is elite at fumbling the ball.

13 hours ago, doitny said:

cant forget finding Quincy Williams on the Jax P.S

got to give Saleh alot of credit for him too for developing him. guy couldnt even make the Jax team and now he is one of the top 5 LBs in the league.

I was really focusing on the draft process.  Quincy Williams is a stud.  The coaching staff also deserves credit for Quinnen’s rise to stardom.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Sorry, not my job to go through the game so some SOJF can get through a game where the team played well enough

Lol, it was a joke.  That's what people were saying yesterday when the actual game was going on.  

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Where are the stats to show Gipson as above average?  He is elite at fumbling the ball.

His punt return average last year was 9.7 yards. That is 0.5 yards per return less than ... Braxton Berrios. :D  

He was 7th in total punt return yardage, more based on quantity (33 returns - 4th in the league). He also led the league in fair catches with 30.

3 fumbles. 🤢

One of only 8 players to return a punt for a TD. 

On kick returns he had 22 for 511 yards (both 2nd in the league). Just ahead of Berrios on both, but over 1 yard per return less on average. And another fumble. 🤢

So on specials, basically a cheaper but more fumble-prone version of the guy he replaced.

• Upvote 1