Codrington

44 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Kid looked great on returns. Decisive, slippery and explosive with the ability to break tackles.

If we keep a guy purely for returns, it's him.

You don’t. I heard a talking head on Eagles game saying, “For 5 extra yards, it’s not worth the possibility of a player breaking through the initial wave and taking it to the house”

There’s also the penalty if you fail to kick it into the small landing zone, which I think is another 5 or 10 yards (35-40 yard line)

15 minutes ago, Larz said:

Good practice squad player. Hard to see them cutting a corner to roster him. 

They don’t cut a WR to carry Irv Charles, they carry him as a core special teamer. Codrington was the lone highlight last night. I don’t know if he’s been returning like that consistently in practice but, if he has, they have to think about rostering him. Isaiah Davis looked decent, but Codrington was explosive. 

I suspect there will be a lot more touchbacks than the NFL hoped for with their new KO rule. The Jets were more than happy to kick it into the end zone and give them the ball at the 30. I think teams that trust their defense -or worry about their specials coverage- will do much of the same. They should’ve made a touchback go to the 40, too, the way they do a short kick, if they really want to promote more KO returns. Codrington looked great returning punts, though, too, and that’s the more difficult skill, imho. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, slats said:

They don’t cut a WR to carry Irv Charles, they carry him as a core special teamer. Codrington was the lone highlight last night. I don’t know if he’s been returning like that consistently in practice but, if he has, they have to think about rostering him. Isaiah Davis looked decent, but Codrington was explosive. 

I suspect there will be a lot more touchbacks than the NFL hoped for with their new KO rule. The Jets were more than happy to kick it into the end zone and give them the ball at the 30. I think teams that trust their defense -or worry about their specials coverage- will do much of the same. They should’ve made a touchback go to the 40, too, the way they do a short kick, if they really want to promote more KO returns. Codrington looked great returning punts, though, too, and that’s the more difficult skill, imho. 

The returners are 

Gipson

Corley

how many preseasons do we have to go through where a 4th string  guy does a thing but doesn’t make the team before we realize that these decisions have already been made based on what the coaches see every day in the weight room, meetings, individual drills and team drills in practice?

cmon.  He ain’t making this team lol. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Larz said:

The returners are 

Gipson

Corley

how many preseasons do we have to go through where a 4th string  guy does a thing but doesn’t make the team before we realize that these decisions have already been made based on what the coaches see every day in the weight room, meetings, individual drills and team drills in practice?

cmon.  He ain’t making this team lol. 

Gipson was a nice punt returner last year, but his KO returns were meh. The Jets brought in a lot of competition for him with Corley as a slot receiver and Codrington and (the now retired) Cohen as returners. I suspect they don’t want Corley doing a lot of specials, focusing instead on his offensive role. Ourlads has Codrington listed as the backup slot receiver. If he’s capable in that role, as well as being a superior returner, they can find a place for him. 

1 hour ago, jetsrule128 said:

He would get poached  

I think he would as well, he's a good candidate for a special teams spot on our roster in my opinion.

Codrington is really the only player that flashed last night with some consistency - Brandon Smith had one nice grab on a perfectly thrown ball by Martinez. 

Braelon Allen had a couple of decent runs where he pushed the pile when needed.

Irvin Charles is getting on my nerves with his untimely holding penalties - this is 2 games straight now.

Carter Warren as well - don't know if he had one last game but he had a drive-killing one last night.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Gipson was a nice punt returner last year, but his KO returns were meh. The Jets brought in a lot of competition for him with Corley as a slot receiver and Codrington and (the now retired) Cohen as returners. I suspect they don’t want Corley doing a lot of specials, focusing instead on his offensive role. Ourlads has Codrington listed as the backup slot receiver. If he’s capable in that role, as well as being a superior returner, they can find a place for him. 

The Jets have him at nickel back. He’s not making the team.  He’s just not. 

1 minute ago, Larz said:

The Jets have him at nickel back. He’s not making the team.  He’s just not. 

My mistake, I meant slot CB. 

I don’t know why you’re all @Joe W. Namath certain he won’t make it. I’m certainly not saying he’s a sure thing, either. I’m saying that if he’s that much better at returning the football than everyone else, he has a real shot. Gipson was a UDFA just last year. Sometimes those guys make the team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, slats said:

I don’t know why you’re all @Joe W. Namath certain he won’t make it. I’m certainly not saying he’s a sure thing, either. I’m saying that if he’s that much better at returning the football than everyone else, he has a real shot. Gipson was a UDFA just last year. Sometimes those guys make the team. 

It’s Math. Name the DB you cut for him. 

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

It’s Math. Name the DB you cut for him. 

We’ll see how it goes. This isn’t a hill I’m dying on. Just saying if the kid is capable of making an impact on specials, they can probably figure out the math. 🤓

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

They should’ve made a touchback go to the 40,

My breakeven point is the 35 yard line.  2 first downs, and you are basically in field goal range.  Either way, the 30 yard line isn't good enough.  

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

One good night in the preseason does not make a roster.  Does anyone know is he playing well as a corner in camp?

I never heard of this guy b4 last night.  Unless hes been real good in camp as well, a one time performance doesnt mean much.

I don't know who this guy is but the pre-season is generally recency bias season. So, I agree with you.

I need to go take a shower now.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

Agreed.

Is Xavier Gipson Still Safe on Jets Roster? (msn.com)

Xavier Gipson was a special teams hero for the New York Jets in 2023. His game-winning punt return in the season opener catapulted him from an undrafted free agent to a key member of the organization. 

That same effect might not be there for the 2024 season, though. 

© Robert Deutsch-USA TODAY Sports© Provided by Athlon Sports

Due to the preseason heroics of Brandon Codrington Saturday night in Carolina, the Jets have an interesting conundrum regarding their kick and punt return duties - both previously owned by Gipson to this point. 

Codrington recorded over 100 total yards of return yardage on punts and kickoffs - a 63-yard kick return being the catalyst for New York's 15-12 win. 

The Jets are still very high on Gipson as a returner and receiver in their offense. His role, though may not be conducive to keeping a roster spot open for him - especially if Codrington has earned the opportunity to show what he can do on gameday as well. 

Making matters even more interesting is the North Carolina Central prospect is an undrafted free agent this year like Gipson was last season. 

Codrington's strong preseason performance Saturday put him on the map to potentially have a role on the roster going forward. The more he produces in practice and in next week's preseason finale could go a long way to determining if Gipson is as safe as previously thought. 

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Is Xavier Gipson Still Safe on Jets Roster? (msn.com)

Xavier Gipson was a special teams hero for the New York Jets in 2023. His game-winning punt return in the season opener catapulted him from an undrafted free agent to a key member of the organization. 

That same effect might not be there for the 2024 season, though. 

© Robert Deutsch-USA TODAY Sports© Provided by Athlon Sports

Due to the preseason heroics of Brandon Codrington Saturday night in Carolina, the Jets have an interesting conundrum regarding their kick and punt return duties - both previously owned by Gipson to this point. 

Codrington recorded over 100 total yards of return yardage on punts and kickoffs - a 63-yard kick return being the catalyst for New York's 15-12 win. 

The Jets are still very high on Gipson as a returner and receiver in their offense. His role, though may not be conducive to keeping a roster spot open for him - especially if Codrington has earned the opportunity to show what he can do on gameday as well. 

Making matters even more interesting is the North Carolina Central prospect is an undrafted free agent this year like Gipson was last season. 

Codrington's strong preseason performance Saturday put him on the map to potentially have a role on the roster going forward. The more he produces in practice and in next week's preseason finale could go a long way to determining if Gipson is as safe as previously thought. 

I think Gipson being inactive last night is a pretty solid indication he's safe. I was wondering if he might be at risk prior to that.

• Upvote 1