Trade Reddick Tonight

6 minutes ago, Testaverde9819 said:

I've been saying this for weeks. Just get what you can and sign ngakoue 

Personally I'd be willing to hold him until at least a half decent offer comes in. Teams will be trying to take advantage of the jets, and there's no use in trading Reddick for less when the Jets have all the leverage in the contract situation. 

The Jets are even getting his salary back onto the payroll/cap limit at the moment. We could sign ngakoue anyway. Of course, if we sign someone Reddick could report to spite us, but we could always sell him off for pennies at that point. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Dcronin said:

But it's allowed. It's a Jets message board. Who gives a sh*t? 

Because as Much as I like EquadorianJet, it's a silly thought.  Ain't nobody giving us a 1 or 2 for a guy we can't even get to report, and trading Reddick for anything less than that would be.absurd and an immediately fireable offense.

"You gave up a 3rd for the guy in april?? And them traded him for a 2025 5th? Clean out your desk",

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, the Jets clearly have enough juice at EDGE to the point where they might just prefer to have the $14 mil in cap and be rid of the Reddick headache. Trade him to Detroit for Hendon Hooker or something. Use the cap savings to bring in another receiver. 

Unless Reddick reports, we HAVE that cap space back. We could sign someone else.

My point is that we shouldn't trade him for less than what we dealt for him unless we're really ready to bring someone else in. Even if that's the case, personally I'd be willing to sign them first and see if Reddick reports out of spite (i.e. tries to force us to go over the cap) before dealing him. Let's inconvenience him :)

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Because as Much as I like EquadorianJet, it's a silly thought.  Ain't nobody giving us a 1 or 2 for a guy we can't even get to report, and trading Reddick for anything less than that would be.absurd and an immediately fireable offense.

"You gave up a 3rd for the guy in april?? And them traded him for a 2025 5th? Clean out your desk",

What about if a team offers us what we already paid? I.e. a 2026 3rd? I don't think it's totally out of the question, that's not a super high price at this time. The cap space is the bigger issue but some teams have it.

I think at this point I'd do that. There are other free agents or trade targets we could try if needed. Reddick is better than almost anyone we could acquire, but it's only worth so much headache...

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

What about if a team offers us what we already paid? I.e. a 2026 3rd? I don't think it's totally out of the question, that's not a super high price at this time. The cap space is the bigger issue but some teams have it.

I think at this point I'd do that. There are other free agents or trade targets we could try if needed. Reddick is better than almost anyone we could acquire, but it's only worth so much headache...

Think the Eagles didn't try that?  You think his value is as high now as in May?

1 hour ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Personally I'd be willing to hold him until at least a half decent offer comes in. Teams will be trying to take advantage of the jets, and there's no use in trading Reddick for less when the Jets have all the leverage in the contract situation. 

The Jets are even getting his salary back onto the payroll/cap limit at the moment. We could sign ngakoue anyway. Of course, if we sign someone Reddick could report to spite us, but we could always sell him off for pennies at that point. 

I disagree.  By keeping him on the roster, the Jets wind up losing another young player they'd like to keep.  They can't use that cap space anyway precisely because he could show up. I don't care if he would make the team better or if they perhaps get more for him later (which I seriously doubt), I'd rather get rid of his stupid ass now and be able to keep a young player they'd like to keep.  The problem is that I don't think any other team would have any interest in him at this point.  After all, he's a disgruntled, dumb, and probably out of shape player.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Think the Eagles didn't try that?  You think his value is as high now as in May?

... Huh? Did the eagles try what?

Paying the jets back with what we already traded them for Reddick? Signing someone else with the budget reserved for Reddick? Trading Reddick for what they paid for him (nothing)?

I'm super confused by this reply. Regardless of whatever you meant about the eagles, though, why would Reddick be worth less than before? It's the exact same player, same age, same contract, same new contract demands... Of course other teams would be trying to lowball us for him but again my point is the Jets don't have to agree to that now

Edit: also, I don't think it's fair to assume Reddick is out of shape. We're relying on plenty of our own players who didn't do much this pre season. If nothing else, Reddick has shown to be a consistent professional on the field 

11 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I disagree.  By keeping him on the roster, the Jets wind up losing another young player they'd like to keep.  They can't use that cap space anyway precisely because he could show up. I don't care if he would make the team better or if they perhaps get more for him later (which I seriously doubt), I'd rather get rid of his stupid ass now and be able to keep a young player they'd like to keep.  The problem is that I don't think any other team would have any interest in him at this point.  After all, he's a disgruntled, dumb, and probably out of shape player.

This is somewhat valid. But roster cuts aren't due just yet, there is some time before this becomes an IMMEDIATE concern. Also, again, if the jets pay someone else and Reddick does report, what's stopping us from just trading him at that moment? It'd be risky in case the other party pulled out, but hopefully JD would have his ducks in a row if he chose this strategy and could move quickly.

I'd be a lot less enthusiastic about the idea if it actually cost us a 53 man roster spot for weeks. I think it's debatable whether that 53rd guy is REALLY more important than value for Reddick (especially given the amount of roster shuffling that occurs each year), but I think itd send a bad message to the team. If the jets do intend to bring someone else in I think they'd need to move Reddick before week 1 so ya got me there 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

... Huh? Did the eagles try what?

Paying the jets back with what we already traded them for Reddick? Signing someone else with the budget reserved for Reddick? Trading Reddick for what they said for him (nothing)?

I'm super confused by this reply. Regardless of whatever you meant about the eagles, though, why would Reddick be worth less than before? It's the exact same player, same age, same contract, same new contract demands... Of course other teams would be trying to lowball us for him but again my point is the Jets don't have to agree to that now

I think he's worth less because he's clearly disgruntled, has asked to be demanded by two teams, has shown how stupid he is, has missed TC and is not in football shape, and may not even be in good physical shape.  He also wants a ridiculous amount of money and guaranteed money for his age.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I think he's worth less because he's clearly disgruntled, has asked to be demanded by two teams, has shown how stupid he is, has missed TC and is not in football shape, and may not even be in good physical shape.  He also wants a ridiculous amount of money and guaranteed money for his age.

See my added edit. Don't think it's fair to assume he's not ready to play football.

He HAS shown himself to be dumb and disgruntled with his holdout, but that's also on his agent. He's bounced around, but the results for his 4 teams in 4 years speak for themselves. We have no idea what his actual contract demands are, either. Teams would be silly to write him off, more likely than not he will continue to excel for whatever team does pay him. If he does report for the Jets this year, are you honestly expecting him to play worse than he did before? I'm not.

Of course, negotiating teams may be saying this to the Jets too. But if they're interested in acquiring him, they know they need to extend him. And they know he's still Hasson Reddick. The Jets should hold firm at least for now imo

3 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

This is somewhat valid. But roster cuts aren't due just yet, there is some time before this becomes an IMMEDIATE concern. Also, again, if the jets pay someone else and Reddick does report, what's stopping us from just trading him at that moment? It'd be risky in case the other party pulled out, but hopefully JD would have his ducks in a row if he chose this strategy and could move quickly.

I'd be a lot less enthusiastic about the idea if it actually cost us a 53 man roster spot for weeks. I think it's debatable whether that 53rd guy is REALLY more important than value for Reddick (especially given the amount of roster shuffling that occurs each year), but I think itd send a bad message to the team. If the jets do intend to bring someone else in I think they'd need to move Reddick before week 1 so ya got me there 

First of all, I don't think the league would allow us to trade for another player and use the money that is set aside for Reddick.  If that player costs more than the remaining Jets cap space (a little over $5 milion), the Jets would have to cut another player or players to get back under the cap, or they'd have to cut Reddick.

There are only 3 days before rosters are submitted. That isn't much time, and I seriously doubt that Reddick will appear before then. I don't think Reddick will be on the roster.  He will be on the Did Not Report list.

What's stopping us from trading Reddick is mostly like a lack of interest by any other team.

• Upvote 1

Also, my argument is entirely predicated on the point that it's just not worth taking a lesser return for Reddick RIGHT NOW.

Reddick could still report by week 1. I think it's worth waiting to see what he does.  Furthermore, as I said, I think if the jets are serious about dumping him they may as well sign someone else first (like ngakoue) and see what Reddick does. I think it'd give them a little bump in trade value if Reddick decided to report at that point. 

Like really, what's the rush to move the player? Until it'll actually affect our week 1 roster I think it only makes sense to wait for the very best offer they can get.

10 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

First of all, I don't think the league would allow us to trade for another player and use the money that is set aside for Reddick.  If that player costs more than the remaining Jets cap space (a little over $5 milion), the Jets would have to cut another player or players to get back under the cap, or they'd have to cut Reddick.

There are only 3 days before rosters are submitted. That isn't much time, and I seriously doubt that Reddick will appear before then. I don't think Reddick will be on the roster.  He will be on the Did Not Report list.

What's stopping us from trading Reddick is mostly like a lack of interest by any other team.

53 man rosters may need to be submitted, but the jets have until September 4th to make it all fit within the salary cap. If Reddick is going to report, it will almost definitely be prior to the 4th so he can get his renegotiated deal.

As I said, it's questionable whether a 53 man spot is worth it for holding Reddick a little longer, but I think the Jets will do it out of necessity. Both to see if they can get Reddick in after all, and to keep his trade value as high as possible. The Jets can certainly sign someone else before the 4th as long as everything is ironed out by the 5th. They could also sign someone else after if Reddick still hasn't reported, but for neatness sake I think the 4th is our "end date"

What I proposed is definitely feasible. The NFL isn't going to step in unless the Jets push it past the 4th. As I said above, why move Reddick sooner and lose out on potential value? I don't think the Jets will sign someone else (though I'd like them to just to give Reddick the finger) but it's very likely they're actively negotiating with other teams now while just waiting to see how things with Reddick play out. The silliest move in my eyes is just throwing Reddick away now (Tonight! As per the thread title) to make room for someone else when we have almost 2 weeks to sort this 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

See my added edit. Don't think it's fair to assume he's not ready to play football.

He HAS shown himself to be dumb and disgruntled with his holdout, but that's also on his agent. He's bounced around, but the results for his 4 teams in 4 years speak for themselves. We have no idea what his actual contract demands are, either. Teams would be silly to write him off, more likely than not he will continue to excel for whatever team does pay him. If he does report for the Jets this year, are you honestly expecting him to play worse than he did before? I'm not.

Of course, negotiating teams may be saying this to the Jets too. But if they're interested in acquiring him, they know they need to extend him. And they know he's still Hasson Reddick. The Jets should hold firm at least for now imo

It's fair.  There's being in physical shape, but there's also being in football shape where one is used to hitting and being hit.  He hasn't been practicing in pads and hitting anyone or being hit.

We do have some idea of his contract demands.  He has stated that he's looking for $25- $28 million with a nice chunk of guaranteed money.  There's every reason to expect that his play could be worse this year, because he hasn't had TC, he will become 30, and it's not at all uncommon for players when they hit 30 to become more injury prone, and if they rely on their speed, they can start losing speed and be less effective.

I disagree that teams would be silly.  By this point, quite a few teams' cap is set and tight.  They'd have to scramble to accomodate Reddick. Their rosters are pretty much set, and who wants to deal with a greedy, delusional, stupid player who is demanding an extension?

We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

53 man rosters may need to be submitted, but the jets have until September 4th to make it all fit within the salary cap. If Reddick is going to report, it will almost definitely be prior to the 4th so he can get his renegotiated deal.

As I said, it's questionable whether a 53 man spot is worth it for holding Reddick a little longer, but I think the Jets will do it out of necessity. Both to see if they can get Reddick in after all, and to keep his trade value as high as possible. The Jets can certainly sign someone else before the 4th as long as everything is ironed out by the 5th. They could also sign someone else after if Reddick still hasn't reported, but for neatness sake I think the 4th is our "end date"

What I proposed is definitely feasible. The NFL isn't going to step in unless the Jets push it past the 4th. As I said above, why move Reddick sooner and lose out on potential value? I don't think the Jets will sign someone else (though I'd like them to just to give Reddick the finger) but it's very likely they're actively negotiating with other teams now while just waiting to see how things with Reddick play out. The silliest move in my eyes is just throwing Reddick away now (Tonight! As per the thread title) to make room for someone else when we have almost 2 weeks to sort this 

Again, we disagree.  I think you're mistaken and it isn't feasible at all.

6 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

It's fair.  There's being in physical shape, but there's also being in football shape where one is used to hitting and being hit.  He hasn't been practicing in pads and hitting anyone or being hit.

We do have some idea of his contract demands.  He has stated that he's looking for $25- $28 million with a nice chunk of guaranteed money.  There's every reason to expect that his play could be worse this year, because he hasn't had TC, he will become 30, and it's not at all uncommon for players when they hit 30 to become more injury prone, and if they rely on their speed, they can start losing speed and be less effective.

I disagree that teams would be silly.  By this point, quite a few teams' cap is set and tight.  They'd have to scramble to accomodate Reddick. Their rosters are pretty much set, and who wants to deal with a greedy, delusional, stupid player who is demanding an extension?

Alright, you're right to an extent on the contract end. But we still don't know a length or exactly how much guaranteed money we're talking. Those are big issues. 2 years and a third guaranteed is a lot different from 4 years and over half guaranteed, and we're here clueless.

While the market for him is certainly limited by money, that was already the case. A team interested knows they need to extend him. They can always back-load his extension if they're short on budget this year, and several teams like the bears and cardinals can probably afford him outright. 

As far as playing shape... Really? Rodgers and Tyron Smith haven't been in full contact work this off season. This isn't Madden, guys don't just start falling apart once they turn 30. Yes, it's commonly viewed as a time when players start trending downward, but every player is different and many modern players play excellently well into their 30s. Reddick's injury history and recent play history are great. It's asinine to think he's suddenly going to fall off or be significantly more injury prone this year, even if he was at camp he's probably too important to be taking many reps in full contact. We will indeed have to agree to disagree on that end, and we'll see who's right before long too.

17 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Again, we disagree.  I think you're mistaken and it isn't feasible at all.

Huh? I just laid out exactly why it is feasible. The Jets have until September 4th to have their cap and contract situations lined up. It's already been reported that Reddick will likely report on the 2nd or 3rd, if he's going to. Nothing is stopping the Jets from making other moves in the meantime either since they have til the 4th.

I'll admit my idea of a spite signing is unlikely by logic, but it's not impossible. It's very likely the Jets are holding off on any trade moves with Reddick until right up near that deadline. In the meantime they can just keep negotiating. We'll see what materializes 

Edit: and this is exactly why just dumping Reddick ASAP is dumb. Even if we do end up dealing him his value isn't going any lower between now and then

3 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Nick Bosa didn't show up until Sept 6th last year.

He started 20 games including the playoffs and never appeared on the injury report all season long for the first and only time of his career.

The guy is looking for a major payday and, unlike with Bosa, surely sees he's not getting it before the season starts and/or before showing up. It absolutely would've been better if he was with the team this past month, but he'll settle in fast. On top of that it's not like Saleh/Ulbrich keep any of their DLmen on the field for 80-90% of the snaps anyway.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

?

did ecuadorianjet say to trade him for a first or second rounder? That would be silly if he did. But he didnt. 

Instead he simply said to get rid of the distraction. Probs because we seem stacked on the Dline for once. Its a reasonable “thought”. Try not to be the thread cop. Thanks pappi chulo

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I hear you brother, I do, but let's remember the way things tend to go when it comes to the Jets. This situation that could've definitely been avoided by all parties involved has all the ingredients to become even less beneficial for the Jets. Even if he reports, there have been enough dumb decisions along the way in this process that whatever the result is absolutely bound, in my view, to be bad for the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dcronin said:

But it's allowed. It's a Jets message board. Who gives a sh*t? 

Not me, I  like these  threads. I’m just disappointed nobody posted a picture of Hassan in his Samurai Costume yet. Can only hope he’s wearing it when he reports. 

• Haha 3

I'm not going to speak to whether or not he should be on this roster. I'm just going to deal in facts. 

He's untradeable

30 other teams called the eagles during March to ask about a trade, when they found out what reddick wanted, they all walked away laughing. That's why he was available so long, the eagles couldn't find a sucker. All those teams went about filling their roster and allocating their cap space for the current and next year. You're telling me after they previously walked away and now have minimal cap space with a set roster, they're gonna trade for this joker and hand him 25M?

• Upvote 3