Jets Cuts To 53 (official thread )

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think it will be somewhat interesting if they add any qbs.  Travis Jordan is probably never suiting up for the jets, but maybe they find someone better than Martinez 

Zach Wilson available ? Nope. 

• Haha 1

Just now, bicketybam said:

When Rodgers retires after next year, he will get his chance to be QB2. That my opinion. 

I agree and that’s a best case scenario for him.  He’s a smallish qb with an average arm whose best attribute was a dual threat qb but now he has a shattered leg and it’s unclear when he can even practice.  I agree he’s competing for qb 2 and that’s even unclear if they draft a qb.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I agree and that’s a best case scenario for him.  He’s a smallish qb with an average arm whose best attribute was a dual threat qb but now he has a shattered leg and it’s unclear when he can even practice.  I agree he’s competing for qb 2 and that’s even unclear if they draft a qb.  

Fair enough. I just think he will get an opportunity. He's a gamer.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

Important note as teams construct their initial 53-man rosters:

NFL teams were informed that the NFLPA vetoed the revised Emergency 3rd Quarterback rule that would have allowed teams to elevate a bona fide QB from the practice squad an unlimited number of times.

So, the rule reverted to the 2023 version, which says the emergency third QB must be on the 53-man roster, not an elevation.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 2

Just now, mrcoops said:

Wow. I thought the proposed change was a good move.

What does the NFLPA gain from this? Why do they want 3rd QBs to be on the 53, rather than the PS? That will potentially rob a deserving player at another position of a roster spot, just so teams can carry a 3rd QB who is unlikely to ever play.

Pretty damn stupid in my opinion.  I don't personally see a downside.  

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

That is not best case for him.  Nobody knows how he is going to play once he is fully healed.

How about we wait and see what he looks like next year before we make claims like hes "never" suiting up for the Jets.

This is my prediction and that’s what we do here.  They drafted a guy whose measurables are meh and nearly a year later still has no timetable for a leg injury.  Each draft there’s enough qbs entering the league where it’s easy to get jumped in the pecking order.  And there’s a decent chance the jets go qb early next year.  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

What does the NFLPA gain from this? Why do they want 3rd QBs to be on the 53, rather than the PS? That will potentially rob a deserving player at another position of a roster spot, just so teams can carry a 3rd QB who is unlikely to ever play.

NFLPA is helping to some degree the QBs there. If they are the third string on the 53 man roster it is a lot more money than bouncing between the 53 man and practice squads. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This is my prediction and that’s what we do here.  They drafted a guy whose measurables are meh and nearly a year later still has no timetable for a leg injury.  Each draft there’s enough qbs entering the league where it’s easy to get jumped in the pecking order.  And there’s a decent chance the jets go qb early next year.  

Did you ever see him play in college? Just curious.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Why?  Because the NFLPA is a shell of union that gets its instructions from the league owners.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

Did you ever see him play in college? Just curious.

Yes, a dynamic college qb.  But that was in college.  Definitely the type of qb you root for.  But the nfl is different, and he’s a bit small, his arm is average at best, and now it’s a ? How his leg heals.  So while I’m rooting for the kid and I believe he’s a great locker room presence, I’m not sure his game will go over well in the nfl and that’s assuming he heals 100%.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UnknownJetFan said:

NFLPA is helping to some degree the QBs there. If they are the third string on the 53 man roster it is a lot more money than bouncing between the 53 man and practice squads. 

Yeah, but why help 3rd QBs at the expense of other positions? That's what I don't understand. The NFLPA represents all players, not just QBs, and this will mean teams carrying a 3rd QB on the 53 when another player at another position might be more deserving - and more likely to contribute, and earn incentives etc.

• Upvote 2