Jets Cuts To 53 (official thread )

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Lazard, from what I’ve read, has had a good TC. He may improve this year with Rodgers at QB.

He almost certainly will improve. 

He was a solid player with Rodgers in GB and he had an absolute disaster last year - the only way to go is up. 

• Upvote 1

• Jets placed QB Jordan Travis (ankle) on the reserve/PUP list.
    The Jets have been labeling the fifth-round rookie as behind schedule since the beginning of training camp. It’s not exactly encouraging but is hardly surprisingly considering the extremely serious nature of Travis’ college ailment. We probably aren’t going to see Travis taking real practice reps until next year’s offseason program.
    Transaction
    38m ago
    Source: Rich Cimini

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

• Jets placed QB Jordan Travis (ankle) on the reserve/PUP list.
    The Jets have been labeling the fifth-round rookie as behind schedule since the beginning of training camp. It’s not exactly encouraging but is hardly surprisingly considering the extremely serious nature of Travis’ college ailment. We probably aren’t going to see Travis taking real practice reps until next year’s offseason program.
    Transaction
    38m ago
    Source: Rich Cimini

Stash move

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I've read from numerous legitimate writers that what happens in practice is more valuable in determining cuts/keeps than what happens in preseason games.  In other words, the stuff we don't see unless we go to the open practices.  Then there are the tweets from various writers.  So that brings it to do we trust Cimini and Hughes over Saleh and JD in determining who to keep? 

Tough one....

When people say "I've seen enough to know..." it really seems like "I don't like/trust the GM/HC and this is another chance to say it".  It's fine not to like/trust them, but I sincerely doubt we have nearly enough information to make a better call at this point no matter what we've read.  And I say that as someone who is just as guilty as the next guy of getting enamored of certain players on the bubble.

I think there’s truth in that. Let’s not forget these preseason games are primarily being played by, at best, 2nd stringers and likely 3rd/4th stringers. 

So getting great stats in these games isn’t a true measure of regular season NFL games. 

I'm not saying the Taylor’s, McGregor’s etc don’t belong, I just think we need to slow down before proclaiming them 53 worthy today. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Interesting that Seibert is still there - Jets might be trying to trade him to a team like the Packers, who just cut their kicker.

It would be prudent for the Jets to keep Seibert around, stash him on the PS.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

No surprise.

Jets placed QB Jordan Travis (ankle) on the reserve/PUP list.

Tryod Taylor basically signed a two year contract.  His cap cost in 2025 is $6.8mm to have on the roster and $5.7mm dead cap to cut.  Theoretically he could also be a bridge QB.  So Jordan Travis, even if he was a QB of the future, is more like a 2026 project.  That is ok.  We don't need Jordan Travis in 2024.  

40 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I heard on sports radio the other day that Lazard had a good camp and might be a way more important piece than most people might expect.  I couldn't stand the guy last year but I'd be more than happy for him to overachieve this year.  I think we can cut him after this year at very little cost so hopefully he's playing for his next contract.  He's supposed to be a terrific run blocker, btw.  I remember last offseason thinking that between him and Corey Davis (another good run blocker), that might be a secret weapon for us.  Maybe it will be this year.

Allen Lazard costs $13.1mm to have on the team in 2025, and $6.5mm dead cap to cut.  that is a closer call.   His salary is $11mm in 2025, so maybe he agrees to a modest reduction if that is what is cash market is. It may not if he has a good year.  I think Lazard goes with Rodgers-if there is Rodgers, there is Lazard.  Theoretically next year's first round pick is a WR (if Rodgers is coming back) or a QB (if he is not).  I don't think Mike Williams is back in 2025.  

25 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Interesting that Seibert is still there - Jets might be trying to trade him to a team like the Packers, who just cut their kicker.

Packers cut their drafted guy from last year, Anders Carlson, but replaced him with vet Greg Joseph already, who was with them throughout camp.

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-cut-kicker-anders-carlson-after-one-season

Maybe the team are worried by Greg the Leg's uncharacteristic 1 for 3 performance on Sunday? 

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Tryod Taylor basically signed a two year contract.  His cap cost in 2025 is $6.8mm to have on the roster and $5.7mm dead cap to cut.  Theoretically he could also be a bridge QB.  So Jordan Travis, even if he was a QB of the future, is more like a 2026 project.  That is ok.  We don't need Jordan Travis in 2024.  

Allen Lazard costs $13.1mm to have on the team in 2025, and $6.5mm dead cap to cut.  that is a closer call.   His salary is $11mm in 2025, so maybe he agrees to a modest reduction if that is what is cash market is. It may not if he has a good year.  I think Lazard goes with Rodgers-if there is Rodgers, there is Lazard.  Theoretically next year's first round pick is a WR (if Rodgers is coming back) or a QB (if he is not).  I don't think Mike Williams is back in 2025.  

Lazard only $2.2M dead money if cut after June 1 next year.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

is there a compiled list somewhere or did @jetsrule128 just do a hit and run?

As far as I know, just 4 cuts have been reported to date: Xazavian Valladay, Jalen Twyman, Tre Swilling and Al Blades.  May be others that I have missed as I have not been following it closely.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Yep, that was a given.

The question is will he ever be healthy enough to compete?  If a year goes by and the guy can’t practice that’s a problem.  Ultimately i think the jets know they’re on the cusp of drafting another qb and whatever they get from Jordan is a bonus. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I never thought the Jets wanted Jordon Travis to do anything this season. Red Shirt year, he will be ready next season to compete for a roster spot. They will not have a third QB on the active roster when the season starts.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The question is will he ever be healthy enough to compete?  If a year goes by and the guy can’t practice that’s a problem.  Ultimately i think the jets know they’re on the cusp of drafting another qb and whatever they get from Jordan is a bonus. 

What a great pick.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

It would be prudent for the Jets to keep Seibert around, stash him on the PS.

I doubt he makes it as far as the PS. If he gets waived, I think someone would claim him for their 53.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I doubt he makes it as far as the PS. If he gets waived, I think someone would claim him for their 53.

Probably so, but that's our best shot at keeping him.

No way we carry 2 kickers on the 53 man roster.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think if this were the case, Izzy would’ve had the jints game off, and we would’ve seen a lot more of Isaiah Davis, instead. Imho, Izzy’s looking at RB4 at best. 

I agree.  I like Izzy and think he showed more than Davis.  Davis does look much better out of the backfield catching passes.  He is also presumably much better at specials and pass pro.  I am higher on Izzy than Davis so far, but Allen seems obviously #2 and all indications are that Davis is ahead of Izzy whether I agree or not.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

I never thought the Jets wanted Jordon Travis to do anything this season. Red Shirt year, he will be ready next season to compete for a roster spot. They will not have a third QB on the active roster when the season starts.

That was always my expectation as well.  One of the two guys will likely get a year on our Practice Squad, but I doubt we ever see them active.

The two guys that played almost all the qb snaps in ex games.

Yup. 

I get the feeling most folks here on JN don't think it's an issue, that Rodgers didn't need the work vs. the injury risk.

We'll see Monday night how ready Rodgers is (or isn't) pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I've read from numerous legitimate writers that what happens in practice is more valuable in determining cuts/keeps than what happens in preseason games.  In other words, the stuff we don't see unless we go to the open practices.  Then there are the tweets from various writers.  So that brings it to do we trust Cimini and Hughes over Saleh and JD in determining who to keep? 

Tough one....

When people say "I've seen enough to know..." it really seems like "I don't like/trust the GM/HC and this is another chance to say it".  It's fine not to like/trust them, but I sincerely doubt we have nearly enough information to make a better call at this point no matter what we've read.  And I say that as someone who is just as guilty as the next guy of getting enamored of certain players on the bubble.

No question about that. The meeting rooms and weight room matters too. 

• Upvote 2