Week 1: Jets @ 49ers

Just now, Warfish said:

Better than the T-ippy word filter tbh. 

Constantly spamming/calling people a "Jets fans are the best" is pretty obviously against the site rules, and damn rude regardless.

Plus, we already have Same Old Jet (SOJ) as a stand-in for that mindset anyway, no need to get edgy.

He just call it an illness 😄 Or the Diseeeeze!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A Team that intends to compete for a Super Bowl should be able to go to another contender's city and win.

So that's my standard of expectation/evaluation.  Does the Jets look like a team that can win against another SB competitor in their city.

Doesn't mean that have to win, this is not a "must win" in week 1 (what a laughable idea), but it IS a statement game.  

Do the 2024 NY Jets announce their arrival, their "best roster", their intentions to really compete with a great game in week 1, come out firing, ready to go, not sloppy......or do they play like the same old Jets, and lose without ever being truly close.

It's not definitive, but this year, week 1 may say a lot about this team and this upcoming season.

We have many reasons for optimism as of now, let's hope we start seeing those reasons in real world ways on Monday night.

Agree w/ your take, except the bold.

If there is one thing that is absolutely certain about the NFL, is that you cant take anything away from a week 1 performance.  Time and time again, it's proves to have no indication of how the season will go.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I think the Jets are team with a mediocre at best HC and a QB who's best days are in the rear view mirror.  That said the season starts this week.  The Jets haven't played a game yet and neither have the 49ers.  There isn't a Jets fan on this board that hates the Jets more than I do.  Still I really believe they have a great shot to win this game.   

The Jets are healthy, the OL looks pretty good.  We have a great running back in Hall and a great WR in Wilson.  The D should be solid to very good.  

Most NFL games have pretty equal talent but real matchup problems that impact outcome.  I really don't see the big mismatches in SF favor this week.  I think Hall and Wilson are a big problem for the 49ers.   If we tackle well, which the d is capable of we have a great shot at limiting the mismatches that SF usually exploits.  I really think this is a toss up game on the road.

I agree with most of this, sans the thoughts on Rodgers, as I believe that, with this squad, can be very good and the notion that the 49ers don’t have a big mismatch they can exploit.

I love DJ Reed.  He’s awesome.  I think if you try to match DJ with Deebo Samuel, Deebo is going to eat his lunch and then some.

Just now, JiFtheOracle said:

If there is one thing that is absolutely certain about the NFL, is that you cant take anything away from a week 1 performance.  Time and time again, it's proves to have no indication of how the season will go.

I originally wrote "will say".  I changed it before hitting post to "may say" for this exact reason.

I think we all know the Jets could get blown out Monday, and still win the Super Bowl.  So I agree.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I originally wrote "will say".  I changed it before hitting post to "may say" for this exact reason.

I think we all know the Jets could get blown out Monday, and still win the Super Bowl.  So I agree.

If Aaron Rodgers gets through this game healthy, we should not get blown out.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A Team that intends to compete for a Super Bowl should be able to go to another contender's city and win.

So that's my standard of expectation/evaluation.  Does the Jets look like a team that can win against another SB competitor in their city.

Doesn't mean that they have to win, this is not a "must win" in week 1 (what a laughable idea), but it IS a statement game.  

Do the 2024 NY Jets announce their arrival, their "best roster", their intentions to really compete with a great game in week 1, come out firing, ready to go, not sloppy......or do they play like the same old Jets, and lose without ever being truly close.

It's not definitive, but this year, week 1 may say a lot about this team and this upcoming season.

We have many reasons for optimism as of now, let's hope we start seeing those reasons in real world ways on Monday night.

Shanahan and a very veteran team vs. a young Jets team and Hackett/Saleh. 
We need Rodgers, Williams & Lazard + Smith/Moses to keep that huddle composed. Clark, CJ & DJ are the voices in defensive huddle needing to keep them focused.

You are correct that Jets have the talent to win a statement game on national television & shut the naysayers down with all their BS narratives.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I always think about our week 1 48-17 victory over the Lions in 2018 - also on Monday night, incidentally. 

Sam Darnold’s first game. All the hype he had. All the hype we had headed into week 2 . . . Only to lose at home to Adam Gase and the Dolphins, on our way to 5-11.

yeah 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I always think about our week 1 48-17 victory over the Lions in 2018 - also on Monday night, incidentally. 

Sam Darnold’s first game. All the hype he had. All the hype we had headed into week 2 . . . Only to lose at home to Adam Gase and the Dolphins, on our way to 5-11.

yeah 

Week 1, 2012, 48-28 over the Bills.  Sanchez balled out, Stephen Hill has 2 TD's, Kyle Wilson had an INT, Cro had a pick six, Kerley returned a punt, they looked unreal

Finished, 6-10

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Week 1, 2012, 48-28 over the Bills.  Sanchez balled out, Stephen Hill has 2 TD's, Kyle Wilson had an INT, Cro had a pick six, Kerley returned a punt, they looked unreal

Finished, 6-10

I agree week 1 through 4 in today's NFL is a lot about finding out what your team actually is.  That said this is a much bigger game for the Jets than the 49ers.  Rodgers is coming back from a year off and this team needs to wipe the stink of last year off itself ASAP. 

If the Jets don't play with emotion or come out flat as a pancake it won't be a good sign.

14 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Finished, 6-10

Yep, that's another classic example. And so many more. 

Classic non-Jets example:

The Pats lost 31-0 in Buffalo in week 1 of 2003 only to end up going 14-2 (and beating Buffalo in their rematch by the exact same score in the last game of the season) and winning it all. 

43 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I agree week 1 through 4 in today's NFL is a lot about finding out what your team actually is.  That said this is a much bigger game for the Jets than the 49ers.  Rodgers is coming back from a year off and this team needs to wipe the stink of last year off itself ASAP. 

If the Jets don't play with emotion or come out flat as a pancake it won't be a good sign.

Saleh's generic-style rhetoric is strategically designed to provide cover, to sort of hide behind, if things go sideways.

Notice, instead of being answerable for actual results (which is what fans care about), how he speaks in terms of "being excited" about "the guys having an opportunity to compete".

It's been 3+ years of his bull jive.

I can't be the only one who's tired of it.

He has to stop waxing publicly about his inner dialogues and just go win football games.

1 hour ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Yep. Detroit beat KC in Week 1 last season. Worked out well for Detroit ... but even better for KC, at the end of the year. :-) 

12 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Things have set up nicely for the Jets to have a good chance to win this game.

Sure it would be great if CMC was on IR and Aiyuk and TW were still AWOL.

But I don't want to hear any excuses from Sideshow Bob Saleh if they lose.

We usually do worse when our opponent is rolling out their third-stringers. :D  

How many times have we heard "we're a lock to beat XXX, they've got half their O Line on IR and they're starting their QB #3"?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

On a side note, can't wait for Brady to inevitably be calling a Jet game this year.

Should be something akin to medieval torture.

Even if I have the audio muted, FOX is surely going to pan repeatedly to his stupid grinning face.

I don't like the "nice" stuff him and Belicheat are saying. They are up to something shady as always! 

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Things have set up nicely for the Jets to have a good chance to win this game.

Sure it would be great if CMC was on IR and Aiyuk and TW were still AWOL.

But I don't want to hear any excuses from Sideshow Bob Saleh if they lose.

Sounds like a plan.  And if we win, I expect you to come here and praise Saleh for the good job he did.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I agree with most of this, sans the thoughts on Rodgers, as I believe that, with this squad, can be very good and the notion that the 49ers don’t have a big mismatch they can exploit.

I love DJ Reed.  He’s awesome.  I think if you try to match DJ with Deebo Samuel, Deebo is going to eat his lunch and then some.

My bigger concern is Kittle being wide open all game. 

6 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

My bigger concern is Kittle being wide open all game. 

I like what we have at LB, but this is definitely a fair concern.  Not sure it’s a bigger one than Reed, who is undersized, matched up with a physical monster like Deebo.

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Saleh's generic-style rhetoric is strategically designed to provide cover, to sort of hide behind, if things go sideways.

Notice, instead of being answerable for actual results (which is what fans care about), how he speaks in terms of "being excited" about "the guys having an opportunity to compete".

It's been 3+ years of his bull jive.

I can't be the only one who's tired of it.

He has to stop waxing publicly about his inner dialogues and just go win football games.

There's no hiding this year.  The tide has rolled out, Saleh and Hackett are swimming naked.

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

Doesn't mean that they have to win, this is not a "must win" in week 1 (what a laughable idea), but it IS a statement game.  

This game will come down to....can AR8 overcome our OC?  

• WTF? 1

I was kidding around with some friends during our fantasy draft last night and mentioned I will probably do a shot when Rodgers survives his 5th snap.  One of them suggested we should do shots after every 5 snaps. 

@Maxman I am formally requesting Tuesday morning off from all mod responsibilities.  TIA.

• Haha 2