My take on Joe Douglas, and his future with the Jets.

He’s built a very good roster. He had poor luck with AR getting injured last year or the debate of him being a good GM wouldn’t even be talked about right now.

He has us with one of the best rosters and with depth pretty much everywhere. Where we should be w playoff team almost no matter who may get injured.

How he handles resigning this core group of players will decide his future as well as if Travis can become something in a couple years.

A GMs job is pretty much tied to their QB play. So he got a pass last year with an injury. He covered himself this year (he should’ve done it last year as well) with Taylor.

And IMO Travis is a perfect developmental QB. So I actually have confidence of him sitting and learning for 2 years and to be ready to go.

• Upvote 2

How do you know you have a good GM, you win consistently year after year.

This will be JD‘s fourth year, and I think we can all agree he finally has the team in place that he wants. Today’s team has a very good mix of veterans and young players and that’s a good foundation. I think the critical thing here, especially for JD, Is the depth he’s building across all three phases of the game. This is how teams stay competitive year after year. By always having a core group of young players ready to step in and up when the time comes. This allows a team to move on from players on the down side of their careers, along with keeping the veterans on their toes.
So now the clock really begins to tick, if JD can keep this team competitive then we know.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, LockeJET said:

This isnt a fire JD take  but I think he really failed the last two years in the draft. You don’t take first round pics that aren’t gonna contribute right away on win now teams. He’s too conservative in different spots. Sometimes you just gotta go for it. He should’ve either traded up or taken guys that would’ve contributed right away. 

We literally have the best roster in football

• WTF? 2

11 hours ago, Larz said:

I tend to agree. The talent is there.  If they fall short I think Saleh is gone and Ulbrich may get the chance at HC assuming JD is extended 

Not that I think Douglas isn’t a good gm, but good teams develop their talent.  I think this falls mainly on the head coach.  True that some players brought in on offense haven’t panned out but I think their failure lies mainly with saleh and his offensive staff.  IMO they were set back by having both saleh and milfy at the same time.  I would not mind seeing Ulbrich getting the hc job if saleh gets launched.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

6 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Then JD did an amazing job in FA doing far more than I ever thought would be possible, and my thoughts and feelings started changing about him.

Then the draft comes along, and what did the dumbass try to do?  Trade up for a WR, when it abundantly clear that he needed to draft an LT to back up Smith

Didn’t you get the memo? Rodgers is the defacto GM and all that is written makes perfect sense! 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Alka said:

Joe Douglas was a rookie General Manager when he came onto the Jets, and as a rookie, made many mistakes.  He learned on the job, and if you look at his overall record, you might say he is no better than average.  In fact, if you look at his overall record, you might even say he is a below average general manager.

John Idzik was never going to be good enough.  Mike Maccagnan was never going to be good enough IMHO.  Joe Douglas has shown me that he is very good, and only getting better.

What occurs this year has more to do with RS's future with the Jets.

How, when and who replaces AR after his time ends in NY will determine JD's future with the team.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

We literally have the best roster in football

So far it's been a "Paper Tiger". Hopefully it's a winning formula this year. 

pa·per ti·ger
/ˌpāpər ˈtīɡər/
noun

1. a person or thing that appears threatening but is ineffectual.

10 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

What occurs this year has more to do with RS's future with the Jets.

How, when and who replaces AR after his time ends in NY will determine JD's future with the team.

I don't foresee JD going the draft route with a QB again and giving him the keys of the castle. I see them grabbing a veteran starting QB to take the reigns from Aaron. Just my Humble opinion.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Expectations are all time high.. Making the playoffs probably buys salah and JD another yr, but they need to accomplish a lot more for an extension. Last yr they got a pass because of Rodgers. They will not get another. Similar Farve’s year, will come down to Rodger's play whether they stay or go. Jets were 9-7 in 08, still canned mangini after missing playoffs. Which they definitely make if farve didn’t tear bicep. Jets were 8-3 until that. 

Let me ask you this, if you and your team accomplished something that your company hadn't done in over a decade, would you settle for a 1 year extension?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Claymation said:

Let me ask you this, if you and your team accomplished something that your company hadn't done in over a decade, would you settle for a 1 year extension?

Depends on what I can get somewhere else.  

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Depends on what I can get somewhere else.  

Negotiations are a two way street, yes you can look else where. However, you can up your demands to a multi year extension. If he balks, I can take my services else where.

25 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Whats his record ? Case closed ,, No extension unless we go deep in the playoffs .

But even if we go deep into the playoffs he'll still have a losing record. We're 27-56 in his tenure.

Even 17-0, followed by a Super Bowl win, wouldn't undo that.

Do we still hold his record against him in that case?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Joa Douglas is managing the team like a GM who expects to be here next year. He traded away a fourth rounder this year for a third in 2025. He hasn’t succumbed to the pressure to buy himself success this year. The moves he’s made have both upgraded the roster and maintained the long term financial stability and maneuverability of the franchise. I’d’ve extended him already, but I do expect him back. If not, some other team will fire their GM just to scoop him up. 

A good GM will think of the franchise first.

When a GM become self indulgent and making moves to improve his resume instead of the health of the franchise, the owner should just sever ties because the hill will just be harder to climb with him there.

That being said, I believe JD will be back.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Joa Douglas is managing the team like a GM who expects to be here next year. He traded away a fourth rounder this year for a third in 2025. He hasn’t succumbed to the pressure to buy himself success this year. The moves he’s made have both upgraded the roster and maintained the long term financial stability and maneuverability of the franchise. I’d’ve extended him already, but I do expect him back. If not, some other team will fire their GM just to scoop him up. 

Is it possible that they didn't extend him yet because of the optics of it all?

Both JD and Saleh are on their last year ... if you extend one before the season, and not the other, does it create too many unwanted distractions for the organisation? Especially Saleh, who is pretty much the key guy to how this year plays out?

Because the media would eat that up and keep harping on about it, win or lose. It'll be bad enough as it is with the "hot seat" narrative.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

"Joe Douglas is not a 'Terrible GM'"

"**** you,  Jet_Engine1 you idiot!!!" 

"Joe Douglas is AWESOME!!"

"Great job, Alka! You're the best!!"

😆 🤣 😂 

+ my parody thread off yours, “ @T0mShane is NOT a ‘terrible poster”, was the most popular spinoff since Frasier.

Ya just can’t win!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Larz said:

I tend to agree. The talent is there.  If they fall short I think Saleh is gone and Ulbrich may get the chance at HC assuming JD is extended 

"Luck" or "good fortune" if you will, is always the one, unpredictable factor, that can really affect a team's season.

The talent on the roster is defintely there.

I believe the coaching staff (with Rodgers running the offense - I have no faith at all in Hackett) is serviceable enough to win, with the players they have.

What this team needs, more than anything else this season, is some good luck.

And just maybe, the injury bug can go bite a different NFL franchise, for a change.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Interesting, I was told just recently that no one has ever said this, lol

The subtleties of language. ;-)  

"No-one" has said this ... "everyone" is saying this ... "people" are saying this ... 

"People are saying on JN that the Raiders have the most explosive roster in all of football". :D  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

How do you know you have a good GM, you win consistently year after year.

This will be JD‘s fourth year, and I think we can all agree he finally has the team in place that he wants. Today’s team has a very good mix of veterans and young players and that’s a good foundation. I think the critical thing here, especially for JD, Is the depth he’s building across all three phases of the game. This is how teams stay competitive year after year. By always having a core group of young players ready to step in and up when the time comes. This allows a team to move on from players on the down side of their careers, along with keeping the veterans on their toes.
So now the clock really begins to tick, if JD can keep this team competitive then we know.

Fourth year? It’s year 5 1/2. If we are counting 5 full off seasons and 2019 as a half year since he wasn’t here for draft and free agency. I think people forget how long it’s actually been. The biggest issue with JD is that he preached sustainable success but after some huge misses and huge hits, there’s no consistency or sustainability. The roster the last 2 years are “all in” rosters. That’s not what he preached at all and it’s not overly impressive considering Tannenbaum was able to do that. We were told for years sustainable success like the Ravens and other great teams and he has fallen incredibly short of that.

On top of that, the W-L record is atrocious. He can’t be crowned for anything without the wins and going “all in” is not a good long term strategy. I get that the rosters have looked loaded on paper these last 2 years but he is responsible for the glaring holes or the lack of backup QB last year that ruined the season. That’s completely irresponsible. You just can’t give him a pass because of the horrible win % over that period. If he is truly good, the wins will come and you’ll see an obvious turning point.

The problem with the timing is that his contract is up and you can’t commit really long term to this regime based on hope alone or finally having success at the very end of a long 4-5 1/2 years (Saleh and JD’s tenures). Unfortunately I do see 4 year extensions but that only happens if they actually win. They(JD) cannot be extended until later in the year AFTER the playoffs have been locked up and that’s 100% on them for taking so long to not suck. I think they and Woody are on the same page about this and they don’t want to minimize their value by resigning early. It would be smart to hit Woody for $ when he’s happy with the winning and attention. 

I’m fine with going all in it at this point. This fanbase and team needs some success but I would never trust him long term. He has shown some great traits but more terrible than great, which is reflected in the record. Context is very important when looking at the entire picture with JD. I see through this regime and wouldn’t hitch my wagon to them but that’s just one creep’s opinion. I won’t be responding since I’m busy. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Alka said:

If the Jets fail this year for whatever reason, I will not blame Joe Douglas. 

That's what many have been doing for the past 5 years, so why not a 6th, right?

To each their own I suppose, but if that's your predetermined opinion then the rest is no more than pure conjecture.

I'm absolutely rooting for this team to finally turn it all around, but if that doesn't happen then Crisco Joe needs to be the first head to deservedly roll. At some point it needs to be more than a laundry list of excuses.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Both JD and Saleh are on their last year ... if you extend one before the season, and not the other, does it create too many unwanted distractions for the organisation? Especially Saleh, who is pretty much the key guy to how this year plays out?

Because the media would eat that up and keep harping on about it, win or lose. It'll be bad enough as it is with the "hot seat" narrative.

I believe both have contracts through the 25 season.  they will both be lame ducks next year if not extended.  

I'm hopeful both of them win big and don't take the extensions.  Woody deserves to be hung out to dry again.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I believe Saleh is under contract through the 2025 season.  JD's contract ends during the offseason.

Just checked, and yes, he's in Year 4 of 5. I had thought both guys were on the last year of their deals - guess not.

35 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m fine with going all in it at this point. This fanbase and team needs some success but I would never trust him long term. He has shown some great traits but more terrible than great, which is reflected in the record. Context is very important when looking at the entire picture with JD. I see through this regime and wouldn’t hitch my wagon to them but that’s just one creep’s opinion. I won’t be responding since I’m busy. 

The only aspect of this team that really feels 'all-in' is QB. And we did expect 2 solid years out of Rodgers when we got him and unfortunately lost one.  But the rest of the roster is built for continued success assuming we can keep our core young players who are all coming up for extensions next year.  Our LT is probably one-and-done although he might stick around another year if Rodgers does and we do well this year.  If not, we drafted his likely replacement.  Mosely might be done, but we have younger, cheaper LBs that are stepping up.  WR is the biggest challenge assuming Lazard and maybe Mike Williams are gone next year, but that's what the draft and FA are for.  Overall, there are not that many holes to fill except for QB.  Even there, we did roll a mid-round flyer this year on a guy who was probably devalued a bit because he needed an injury-recovery year, which fits perfectly into what we needed.  

Bottom line, I am fine doing everything we can to maximize 2024.  But I don't expect us to fall off a cliff next year or even in 2026 as long as we can find a QB better than we had the last few years, going back to....Fitzpatrick?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I wouldn’t discount this as a possibility. While I suspect that Saleh is a much better coach than his record, I’m also more skeptical of him than I am of Douglas. He has a lot more to prove. No one prays for Rodgers’ health at night more than he does. 

57 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I believe Saleh is under contract through the 2025 season.  JD's contract ends during the offseason.

I don’t think so. My understanding at the time was that Saleh’s contract was for five years specifically to line it up with the remainder of JD’s contract. 

• Upvote 2